Felix Magath

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Southern Jambo said:

As a lifelong Jambos supporter and foundation pledger since day 1, I urge the powers that be at Hearts not to employ Felix Magath. I've lived in London and been a season ticket holder at Fulham for the last 20 years and Felix was a complete and utter disaster as a manager. He took a poor Premier League team and turned them into a hopeless Championship team in under a season and left the club in real danger of a second relegation. I fear he'll be just as disasterous at Hearts.

He does give the impression that could happen at us. 

Or we'd be champions next season. 

Be unbelievable or a complete crash and burn

Feel no middle ground with him or his type. 

Also, imo with his own am, but maybe a few Hearts coaches and a SD in place it might balance everything out a bit more. 

I'd like that with any foreign manager tbh. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Hectormasson

• Beast Boy

A_A wehatethehibs

Have Hearts ever had a manager who has won a tier 1 league title? 

This is Scottish football we’re talking about here. Yes he was shite at Fulham but surely it is outweighed vastly by the pedigree he brings which is far far beyond every single person involved in Scottish football other than Steven Gerrard. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This is Scottish football we’re talking about here. Yes he was shite at Fulham but surely it is outweighed vastly by the pedigree he brings which is far far beyond every single person involved in Scottish football other than Steven Gerrard. 

His style of management would have the PFA permanently parked on the Plaza

2 hours ago, Southern Jambo said:

As a lifelong Jambos supporter and foundation pledger since day 1, I urge the powers that be at Hearts not to employ Felix Magath. I've lived in London and been a season ticket holder at Fulham for the last 20 years and Felix was a complete and utter disaster as a manager. He took a poor Premier League team and turned them into a hopeless Championship team in under a season and left the club in real danger of a second relegation. I fear he'll be just as disasterous at Hearts.

Yep, 10 years at the Cottage for me too and wholeheartedly agree. Was the worst manager Ive seen in my time watching Fulham. Made Lawrie Sanchez look like Guardiola!

I would honestly rather rehire Levein...

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes he was shite at Fulham but surely it is outweighed vastly by the pedigree he brings which is far far beyond every single person involved in Scottish football other than Steven Gerrard. 

Its definitely not.

In fact his failure at Fulham makes it worse as he took a decent Premier team and single handedly took them to the bottom of the Championship.

Football has evolved beyond his methods, like many of that generation.

A_A wehatethehibs
39 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Its definitely not.

In fact his failure at Fulham makes it worse as he took a decent Premier team and single handedly took them to the bottom of the Championship.

Football in Scotland has evolved beyond his level? World leading coaching conveyor belt Hearts advanced methods are streets ahead of a guy who has won Tier 1 titles (Club and international) as player and manager, managed umpteen big clubs including one of the top 5 biggest clubs in world football Bayern? The orchestrator of the original Leicester city style miracle wee-team title win at Wolfsburg? 

Our last 5 managers have been:

Mcglynn, Locke, Neilson, Cathro, Levein 

Thats our recent level, that lot makes Felix Magath seem like Jürgen Klopp

Not saying there’d be any guarantee of success, of course it could well implode spectacularly. But to say we’re too good for a guy with that pedigree is borderline Dundee level delusions of grandeur 

14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Football in Scotland has evolved beyond his level? World leading coaching conveyor belt Hearts advanced methods are streets ahead of a guy who has won Tier 1 titles (Club and international) as player and manager, managed umpteen big clubs including one of the top 5 biggest clubs in world football Bayern? The orchestrator of the original Leicester city style miracle wee-team title win at Wolfsburg? 

Not saying there’d be any guarantee of success, of course it could well implode spectacularly. But to say we’re too good for a guy with that pedigree is borderline Dundee level delusions of grandeur 

Absolutely spot on ,,,,

1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

Its definitely not.

Single handedly?  Remind me where they where in the league when he took over and how many games he was in charge that season.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Bravo mate no sure it could be put better about the levels  of madness some fans have got 

SectionDJambo

I remember him ripping us apart, at Tynecastle, in 1976. Hamburg went on to win the Cup Winners cup that season.

He has a reputation of being overly disciplinarian, which usually loses the players loyalty fairly quickly. 
German clubs tend to employ coaches who have been sacked by other Bundesliga 1 clubs. It’s a merry go round of coaches over there. He’s been an exception. There must be a reason why.

jambo in iraq

what I like about this potential appointment is that he won the title with Wolfsburg ffs... Whilst they are a massive club compared to Hearts, they are no Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund in terms of size or quality. Kind of sounds like a familiar situation!

6 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Single handedly?  Remind me where they where in the league when he took over and how many games he was in charge that season.

We had gone from starting to play well again under RM when he took over from Jol, even if results were not there, to one of the most catastrophic runs of form in over 20 years under Magath.

The difference in the standard of football was blatant. You can take a quick look at the table and say 'screwed anyway' but you miss all the detail.

It wasnt just that his brand of football didnt take; his methods were so insane it was almost as if he was trying to get fired.

His trophies meant nothing at Fulham and they'll mean nothing here.

7 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

And so why is he applying for a job here then?

Some personal mission to save Scottish football?

Hackney Hearts
16 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Tommy Walker?

I think the tough disciplinarian stuff plays well with fans but I'm not sure how responsive the players would be. It works well when there is a culture of absolute professionalism (like in Gerrmany), but doesn't work so well in the UK, I doubt it would work in Scotland where the bar for professionalism is piss poor. 

Suspect we'd see more squad upheaval and more change. I'm doubtful there would be success after it all either. 

PhoenixHearts
17 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He has a far superior pedigree to Steven Gerrard. We're judging them as managers. As of yet, Steven Gerrard has achieved absolutely nothing tangible as a manager.

MARK FOTHERINGHAM has accused Fulham’s prima donnas of being unwilling to put in the hard graft demanded by Felix Magath.

And he is adamant the German coaching ‘legend’ could be the man to break Glasgow’s stranglehold on Scottish football if he is handed the reins at Hearts.

Fotheringham played under the former Bayern Munich manager at Craven Cottage and relished every moment of learning from the vastly experienced tactician – unlike many of his teammates as Magath’s reputation took a battering in London.

Felix-magath.jpg Magath during his time in charge of Schalke (Pic: Memorino)

He was appointed in February 2014 but proved unable to save the club from relegation before being dismissed in September with the club toiling in the Championship.

He was also ridiculed for suggesting Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland place a block of cheese on his knee to ease inflammation, with the likes of Steve Sidwell and Danny Murphy later strongly criticising his methods.

However, Fotheringham believes it is ludicrous that one seven-month spell of Magath’s expansive managerial life appears to hold more weight than the swathe of silverware on his CV. Especially when he contends that there were mitigating circumstances at play.

“Why did Felix get so much criticism from players?” said Fotheringham. “I’ll tell you exactly why it was: because they didn’t want to do a double session on a Sunday. They want their day off with the family, driving their Ferraris around London, sipping lattes all day.

“That’s not what Felix is about. He wants to win and he wants to be successful.
“Who is listening to Stevie Sidwell? I’m not here to criticise folk, but it’s embarrassing the way some of those boys slagged him.

“If you give Felix time and buy into what he is telling you, he will bring success. He’s a top coach, was an iconic player and has had one blip in his career, yet people in Britain want to judge him on that. Give me a break.

Fotheringham added: “They give it the whole ‘he put cheese on Hangeland’s knee’ and all that. It was an old German wives tale – just something a bit different – and an entire country won’t stop going on about it. Never mind all those titles and that World Cup as a player, eh.”

Prior to his ill-fated stint at Fulham, Magath guided Stuttgart to the Champions League – where he faced Rangers in 2003 – won the Bundesliga with unfancied Wolfsburg and claimed league titles and two German Cups at Bayern Munich.

Even after leaving England, he rehabilitated his reputation by guiding struggling Shandong Luneng from the foot of the cash-rich, star-studded Chinese Superleague to a safe sixth-place finish in 2017.

Mark-Fotheringham.jpg Fotheringham plied his trade in Scotland and Germany before linking up with Magath at Fulham

And Fotheringham reckons that, even at 66 years of age, Magath still has plenty more to give.

“The man is a legend,” he lauded. “For Felix to be linked with Hearts is absolutely massive and I know for a fact he has applied and would love the opportunity.

“Forget about hearsay, Felix is a fantastic manager to work under. He brought on boys like Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts and Dan Burns a massive amount at Fulham.

“He brought their fitness levels up and was training them like Champions League players – because that’s the level he demands.

“His CV is astonishing. He has won the league with Bayern Munich, he took a Wolfsburg – a village club compared to Bayern and Dortmund – to the Bundesliga title. He has developed [Mario] Mandzukic, [Edin] Dzeko, [Bastian] Schweinsteiger, [Philip] Lahm, [Manuel] Neuer.

“He got Raul back fit and hitting his best form at Schalke; qualified for the Champions League with Stuttgart and played Rangers in the Champions League.

“And people are asking whether he’s the right man for Hearts? With the greatest of respect, are you kidding me? How short are the memories?”

Change

Fotheringham sees no reason why Magath could not replicate his miracle campaign with Wolfsburg in 2008/09 if he was to be handed the reins at Tynecastle, insisting they have the infrastructure in place to challenge Celtic and Rangers’ dominance.

He also believes it would be a welcome shot in the arm for Scottish football.

“Felix is what Scotland needs. We’ve not done anything for the last ten years!” he added. “It’s the same guys getting the same jobs all the time. And what are they changing? Nothing.

“What right have we got to turn our noses up at bringing a guy like that to Scotland?

“Hearts have got everything in place to make a push for it [titles] and there is no-one with more experience, confidence and ability to promote and develop youth than Felix.”

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

He was an excellent old school manager but the game has moved on. Today’s millennial players don’t take very well to an Uber disciplinarian like magath. It’s horses for courses to be honest. I’m not sure it would work well. I’d prefer Warnock. Whilst warnock is also obviously old school-he’s an excellent man manager. We have a lot of “confidence” players in our squad-we need a man manager.

rudi must stay
31 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

He was an excellent old school manager but the game has moved on. Today’s millennial players don’t take very well to an Uber disciplinarian like magath. It’s horses for courses to be honest. I’m not sure it would work well. I’d prefer Warnock. Whilst warnock is also obviously old school-he’s an excellent man manager. We have a lot of “confidence” players in our squad-we need a man manager.

Levein's the same

I think the number 1 thing is the players these days have to like you, if they don't they simply won't play for you

On 11/11/2019 at 11:13, GinRummy said:

Fancies smashing the old firm duopoly to absolute ******* smithereens and becoming a Gorgie legend.

For this alone he gets my vote ;)

I'm not convinced but at least this would be taking a risk and not going for a 'meh' appointment. 

Appointing Cathro was, on hindsight, a disaster. But at least we tried to break the mould.

That article from Fotheringham has warned me to the idea, but would he be given a couple of seasons to build what he would need? Our current squad isnt fit enough nor does it have enough dig for his style.

Italian Lambretta
8 hours ago, NB GIN said:

MARK FOTHERINGHAM has accused Fulham’s prima donnas of being unwilling to put in the hard graft demanded by Felix Magath.

And he is adamant the German coaching ‘legend’ could be the man to break Glasgow’s stranglehold on Scottish football if he is handed the reins at Hearts.

Fotheringham played under the former Bayern Munich manager at Craven Cottage and relished every moment of learning from the vastly experienced tactician – unlike many of his teammates as Magath’s reputation took a battering in London.

He was appointed in February 2014 but proved unable to save the club from relegation before being dismissed in September with the club toiling in the Championship.

He was also ridiculed for suggesting Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland place a block of cheese on his knee to ease inflammation, with the likes of Steve Sidwell and Danny Murphy later strongly criticising his methods.

However, Fotheringham believes it is ludicrous that one seven-month spell of Magath’s expansive managerial life appears to hold more weight than the swathe of silverware on his CV. Especially when he contends that there were mitigating circumstances at play.

“Why did Felix get so much criticism from players?” said Fotheringham. “I’ll tell you exactly why it was: because they didn’t want to do a double session on a Sunday. They want their day off with the family, driving their Ferraris around London, sipping lattes all day.

“Who is listening to Stevie Sidwell? I’m not here to criticise folk, but it’s embarrassing the way some of those boys slagged him.

“If you give Felix time and buy into what he is telling you, he will bring success. He’s a top coach, was an iconic player and has had one blip in his career, yet people in Britain want to judge him on that. Give me a break.

Fotheringham added: “They give it the whole ‘he put cheese on Hangeland’s knee’ and all that. It was an old German wives tale – just something a bit different – and an entire country won’t stop going on about it. Never mind all those titles and that World Cup as a player, eh.”

Prior to his ill-fated stint at Fulham, Magath guided Stuttgart to the Champions League – where he faced Rangers in 2003 – won the Bundesliga with unfancied Wolfsburg and claimed league titles and two German Cups at Bayern Munich.

Even after leaving England, he rehabilitated his reputation by guiding struggling Shandong Luneng from the foot of the cash-rich, star-studded Chinese Superleague to a safe sixth-place finish in 2017.

Mark-Fotheringham.jpg Fotheringham plied his trade in Scotland and Germany before linking up with Magath at Fulham

And Fotheringham reckons that, even at 66 years of age, Magath still has plenty more to give.

“The man is a legend,” he lauded. “For Felix to be linked with Hearts is absolutely massive and I know for a fact he has applied and would love the opportunity.

“Forget about hearsay, Felix is a fantastic manager to work under. He brought on boys like Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts and Dan Burns a massive amount at Fulham.

“He brought their fitness levels up and was training them like Champions League players – because that’s the level he demands.

“His CV is astonishing. He has won the league with Bayern Munich, he took a Wolfsburg – a village club compared to Bayern and Dortmund – to the Bundesliga title. He has developed [Mario] Mandzukic, [Edin] Dzeko, [Bastian] Schweinsteiger, [Philip] Lahm, [Manuel] Neuer.

“He got Raul back fit and hitting his best form at Schalke; qualified for the Champions League with Stuttgart and played Rangers in the Champions League.

“And people are asking whether he’s the right man for Hearts? With the greatest of respect, are you kidding me? How short are the memories?”

Change

Fotheringham sees no reason why Magath could not replicate his miracle campaign with Wolfsburg in 2008/09 if he was to be handed the reins at Tynecastle, insisting they have the infrastructure in place to challenge Celtic and Rangers’ dominance.

“Felix is what Scotland needs. We’ve not done anything for the last ten years!” he added. “It’s the same guys getting the same jobs all the time. And what are they changing? Nothing.

“What right have we got to turn our noses up at bringing a guy like that to Scotland?

“Hearts have got everything in place to make a push for it [titles] and there is no-one with more experience, confidence and ability to promote and develop youth than Felix.”

WOW thats me sold 

underwaterwoodwelder

Get him interviewed and appointed asap.

Daft fans saying no thanks to a manager at this pedigree are fans that are deluded and will never be happy with any appointments.

I don't know about the cheese on the leg to reduce inflammation thing, but have heard banana skins reduces bruising and putting honey on cuts helps because it is an antiseptic so he might not be as crazy batshit as he seems.

Has got to be interviewed at least, his CV is the most impressive out of all those linked. He could go one of two ways but if he has the drive to take Hearts forward then no issues from me on him getting the job. I think McPhee is stick on for SD but someone like Magath would be the most high profile appointment we have made. 

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

You can just imagine the sportssound gang laughing about cheese, turning there noses up at him. 

Indeed. They do that shit anyway though, so we might as well disregard their opinions and just appoint someone that we think will do the job. Would be great to win something to the soundtrack of those cretins backtracking.

21 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

You can just imagine the sportssound gang laughing about cheese, turning there noses up at him. 

Reason enough to get him in.

19 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Indeed. They do that shit anyway though, so we might as well disregard their opinions and just appoint someone that we think will do the job. Would be great to win something to the soundtrack of those cretins backtracking.

His appointment could fill the Roseburn and hopefully remove the self-protecting layer of apathy which surrounds our play and step.

On 12/11/2019 at 14:35, Tasavallan said:

We might as well dig up Sir Bobby, if all we can do is regurgitate history. 

But - that's all we can ever do.

Every name being mentioned for manager will be judged by their history and achievements in the game.

4 minutes ago, pointon said:

Not my first choice but streets a head of the shite that has allegedly been Interviewed 

Like Jack Ross, yes. 

Absolute Scenes

Hmmm 

jack “2 clubs” Ross who couldn’t hack league one with the highest budget or a silverware winning tough loving German boss who can install a winning mentality in a struggling team...I wonder which one I want

10 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Change

Looks like fortheringham is looking an assistants job. 

The guys recored is head and shoulders above anyone else who has applied. Every manager appointment is a gamble. If we can get this guy in decent terms we should definitely consider him. 

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

WOW thats me sold 

Impressive stuff, British pansies couldn’t hack a bit of graft so ripped him apart in the media. He’d be a brilliant appointment 

10 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Totally agree. I think the days of the authoritarian, “it’s my way or the highway” type Managers are numbered.  

He is definitely a stand out from the others that have been mentioned, that being said I think it would be too much of a risk. I don’t think he’d get patience from the stands while trying to implement his ideas. There’s just too much division in our fan base. Between the msm and various other factors like family and friends I think negativity would creep in and as soon as 1 goes everything crumbles. We would need a proper hardcore **** everyone else attitude, we’d all have to buy into it.

I will be honest I heard the story about standing in formation for an hour,etc and thought he was a lunatic, nice to get some balanced view on his methods. There is absolutely no chance ce we could attract someone of his calibre under normal circumstances, I would prefer to have a modern  forward thinking coach but i am warming to the idea of having a man who aims to be a pure winner at the helm