Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Don't think he'll be manager next season. He's under huge pressure just now and is fighting to have a role at the club at all. I fear for him tbh. Every manager has their shelf life and it's looking like levein's time might have passed.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Rock ‘n’ Roll star.
19 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Make no mistake he is under huge pressure now and he knows it. 

I see it differently.

I think he’s very comfortable and that’s refectivive in the teams performance.

Levein on the BBC:

Hearts manager Craig Levein tells BBC Scotland: "We didn't move the ball quick enough, we didn't play with enough intent. 

"Our decision-making became cloudy to say the least, so it was a really disappointing day."

St Mirren's equaliser came from an own goal.

"Sean Clare just got caught and confused," Levein says. "I think there was a player holding on to him and spun him around and the ball's hit the back of his head.

"It happens, but I would be really hopeful that we could score more than one goal at home in a game of this nature and, if we had've done, it wouldn't have mattered."

15 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Levein needs to find something. 

We have the players. It's **** all to do with width and formations etc. 

The players aren't playing with ideas. We don't need players who can sprint like Bolt we have players good enough to make the ball do the work. Pace is good and it's always a handy thing to have. We have some quick players. 

We should be able to win the ball back in our own box and put it in the opposition goal in 2-3 passes. No real pace required just an accuracy and an urgency to complete the move. 

First 8-10 games this season we weren't brilliant but we played with a plan. It worked and even if we were not on our game we were solid in defence and took our chances. 

He's had enough time to do that. 

I don't know why we need to stick with him. 

It's not normal. 

We’ve lost our way completely under levein. What I fear is another coach from his stable, who will serve up the same boring rubbish...I’d rather have gone shopping with the mother in law than watch that total and utter dross... I’d accept one or two games like that - but it’s been that way for months. 

1 minute ago, jambogaza said:

Don't think he'll be manager next season. He's under huge pressure just now and is fighting to have a role at the club at all. I fear for him tbh. Every manager has their shelf life and it's looking like levein's time might have passed.

Unless he resigns Budge won't sack him.

Clark Griswold

And water would be wet if it was wet.

1 minute ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Levein on the BBC:

Hearts manager Craig Levein tells BBC Scotland: "We didn't move the ball quick enough, we didn't play with enough intent. 

"Our decision-making became cloudy to say the least, so it was a really disappointing day."

St Mirren's equaliser came from an own goal.

"Sean Clare just got caught and confused," Levein says. "I think there was a player holding on to him and spun him around and the ball's hit the back of his head.

"It happens, but I would be really hopeful that we could score more than one goal at home in a game of this nature and, if we had've done, it wouldn't have mattered."

Things are going a bit stale to be honest. Get pumped on Wednesday night and emptied out the cup on Monday then I think he is under some serious pressure.

Walter Bishop
13 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I love to meet such qualified coaches.

What does that mean? You have to be a qualified coach now to have an opinion? 

I’ve backed Levein to the hilt until today. To much negative football. To often we see it go side, side, back then hoof upfield to nobody. 

The players looked clueless on the park today. 

Please go now 

7 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Yip. Since the break both our form and results especially at Tynie have been shocking.

Keep CL till the end of the season - without trying appear dramatic I am beginning to start thinking of reasons not to go. 

I again chose not to use my season tickets today...not because I choose to do anything else, simply because I cant obide the displays we now offer and have done over 2-3 years...I dont expect to win every game...I consider myself very objective and calm with my attitude and expectation with Hearts...all I want is to watch a Hearts team that reflects the desire, passion, intent & motivation of our fans and that is alien to our staff and players....I will prob (as always) financially back the club but quite frankly its not good for my well being going to games under this regime... ? that should set alarm bells going for Miss B when folk like me cant stomach to turn up.....

old school tie

He'll turn it around once he gets his four main/injured players back. Or, he'll need a couple of transfer windows to bring his own players in.

15 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I love to meet such qualified coaches.

Ian Cathro is an outstanding coach by all accounts. He just wasn’t a very good manager. 

Being a a great coach doesn’t mean you’re gonna get results on the park. 

4 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

If he is fighting to have a role at the club then who is responsible  for the poor displays ?

feedtheroman2

We are night and day compared to the start of the season. Injury setbacks were definitely a catalyst for the downturn, but even with our key players returning we look completely lost out there. No clear gameplan and no hunger or desire. You can argue Naismith is the most vocal guy in our team and I hope to hell we are tempting him with management roles in the future. It's just so frustrating  seeing abject failure in our team. Especially when you compare it to the title winning side a few years back.

We are getting walked over in nearly every department and that extends to the fans. No one should fear coming to Tynecastle anymore because it's not the intimidating place it once was. It's a library. We have no songbook anymore.

Our management needs ****ing emptied because we are hopeless.

siegementality
21 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Levein needs to find something. 

We have the players. It's **** all to do with width and formations etc. 

The players aren't playing with ideas. We don't need players who can sprint like Bolt we have players good enough to make the ball do the work. Pace is good and it's always a handy thing to have. We have some quick players. 

We should be able to win the ball back in our own box and put it in the opposition goal in 2-3 passes. No real pace required just an accuracy and an urgency to complete the move. 

First 8-10 games this season we weren't brilliant but we played with a plan. It worked and even if we were not on our game we were solid in defence and took our chances. 

Utter bollocks except the last paragraph.

It’s a tough one. We’re still in a position where we can finish 4th and reach a Cup Final, however it is also stale as feck and we need fresh ideas.

So to conclude, I think Leveins job right now is safe as houses and it will take a defeat to Partick and us limping to 5th - 6th before the board would consider sacking him. 

I’ll back Levein for the moment but in all honesty, nothing is changing and there’s very little improvement since we got key players back. We need to see a change in style or I cannot see him lasting much longer. 

Ann has a special relationship with Craig, but she's a business woman. She didn't get to where she is putting up with failure. 

I don't think Craig wanted to take the manager role after the Cathro saga. I think she made him try to clean up his mess ( i could be wrong)

In my opinion, he will get to the end of season regardless of the dross we're seeing on the field, but she must be making plans to change things. 

Wins will keep craig his job, even if it's horrible to watch. 

Edited by Top Corner

Clark Griswold
27 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Make no mistake he is under huge pressure now and he knows it. The players seem unresponsive and that's a huge worry.

Is he under pressure though? From who? He’s been untouchable due to the many positions he holds at the club, so I think its the opposite, he’s too engrained. 

Honesty think Ann should be starting to plan now . 

If we get knocked out by a Partick which has got to be a real possibility and don't improve on last years league position which again is a possibility I don't think CL can have any complaints. 

The whole first team coaching staff would need to go imo which would be a huge undertaking but necessary. 

Cant see us being anything other than mediocre under this regime . Pulling out the odd couple of decent results in amongst the turgid garbage . 

There are two, or possibly three, ways to look at the situation

1. The players are actually gash Levein has made a huge mistake with his signings and he is actually doing well to get what he is getting from the players playing the method he is.

2. There is nothing much wrong with the player BUT they are being asked to play some pretty senseless football by Levein

3. The players he has signed are substandard and he has no idea how the get them playing football.

I have been reluctant to blame either players or manager but blind Pew could have seen there is something very very wrong with the way we are approaching our football and i Craig Levein cannot get the players HE signed up to a job then I suspect HE may be the problem... who knows football is a weird game.. but the thing is on here it is impossible to even think about giving negative feedback.

What ever way you choose what has to be said is that CL has no idea whatsoever how to get a team playing positive football again the lower levels of the league...that cannot in anyway be argued against as the results are there in black and white!

Where’s the fanboys now?  I have said it consistently from the start of the season even when we were playing well. We will do nothing under levein. 

Hibs will probably beat us at the next derby and it will be curtains for him

Unfortunately for me, I picked today's game for my every few months trip North to see us play. If that's typical of what's served up then tough decisions are needed. When 3 minutes of injury time were added we should have been going for it, yet the exodus of fans was pretty steady, as if they knew. Poor, poor stuff and I expected much better against bottom of the league.

Selkirkhmfc1874
9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Anyone able to do a poll on whether its time for Levein to go? 

That be interesting 

2 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Ann has a special relationship with Craig, but she's a business woman. She didn't get to where she is putting up with failure. 

I don't think Craig wanted to take the manager role after the Cathro saga. I think she made him try to clean up his mess ( i could be wrong)

In my opinion, he will get to the end of season regardless of the dross we're seeing on the field. 

...or until he gets our best players back...or when he has a transfer window...or add any other excuse. This situation has been 

3 years in the making and AB is still convinced the ‘succession’ model works because CL has told her that! She is part of the problem!

Are people really still thinking levein is the man? He does nothing, not one player has he substantially improved. The football is awful ! 

I await the usual but but he is proper hearts man etc etc 

if if he was a proper hearts man he would take a step down

4 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

...or until he gets our best players back...or when he has a transfer window...or add any other excuse. This situation has been 

3 years in the making and AB is still convinced the ‘succession’ model works because CL has told her that! She is part of the problem!

Agreed, but she's done her job off the field very well, in regards to funding etc. 

Edited by Top Corner

12 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

And water would be wet if it was wet.

Terrible point to make in an interview agreed.

sidjamesbottle

Never agreed with this before but i do now 3-6-1 in the first half at home to the bottom of the league is a joke and lets not kid on that's what it was, closest player to big uche was lee boring slow and predictable

He is going nowhere. He is a big part of this Community Centre. Without him Brown Owl is lost.

On planet football however he is ****ing dire. I would say we are going nowhere as a football team but that is just not true. We are going down at an increasing pace. All top guns on show today and yet again never won. We are losers, Levein and his hippie sidekick are losers and we are making a mockery of our crest. The only person winning at our club is supergran. She is all happy in planet unicorn, happy about the way we are going.  Make no mistake, she will have the players packing bags in ASDA on Saturday morning soon for the women's team or some nonsense.

Wake up!

Edited by i8hibsh

rudi must stay

Ye his time is up. We've been sussed and there are candidates who would do better?

Appleton for example, how much would that annoy the Hibbies. Would be a great if Ann acted now

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I like Levein as a personality and he was a great player. He’s an average manager with bad man management skills,lacks tactical courage & has displayed throughout his whole managerial career long periods of inconsistent results at every single club & national team he has managed. Whole new coaching team needed but it won’t happen as Budge & Levein are a two part deal.

I’ve stood by him but today’s the final straw. Bloody awful and no sign of it getting better. Getting trounced by every other manager tactically, and inability to successfully change things when it’s apparent it’s going Pete tong during a game. Time to go now. And take your back room staff with you please as they are as much to blame.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but today was the final straw for me. Think he has to stay til  the end of the season,  and then have a hopefully smooth handover to someone else (Macphee?) over the summer.  

16 minutes ago, PnG said:

I feel things will need to get a lot worse before we see the back of Levein.

He may step aside after a few more woeful results like today but he'll just hide in the office again and nothing on the pitch will change.

My prediction is we'll see the kind of unrest from supporters like the pieman days. He is too arrogant and stubborn to call it a day and Budge is too naive in a football sense to see whats happening in front of her. Its always been my opinion we're onto a loser with Levein. He has to go.

I think you may be on to something with this post. There's no denying levein's is a hearts man through and through but, unfortunately I suspect his 'confidence' in his own ability, or possible arrogance (fine line between both) will see him continue. He very much reminds me of mourinho in his 2nd Chelsea spell or man u period. He was once upon a time quite progressive and maybe even one step ahead of the rest. His refusal to move with the game though ultimately saw his career spiral downwards. Look at Jack Ross with Sunderland. Clearly had a levein coaching education.. try to score 1st, dig in, don't lose a goal and try break out and steal a 2nd. This has resulted in a team who should be pissing league one drawing 14 games! Jack ross is young enough to change but levein I suspect, is too old and dare I say it, arrogant to accept change is required.  We are so boring to watch it's almost chronic and the amount of financial backing this club gets from the fans deserves much better.

1 minute ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I like Levein as a personality and he was a great player. He’s an average manager with bad man management skills,lacks tactical courage & has displayed throughout his whole managerial career long periods of inconsistent results at every single club & national team he has managed. Whole new coaching team needed but it won’t happen as Budge & Levein are a two part deal.

Good post. 

I'd like a complete clear out to be honest. 

Scouting is poor, we seem to get so many injuries and players rushed back etc, so i start to question the fitness coaches and physios etc. 

Fort Vallance

8 of us sitting pr-match looking at the team. None of us could work ot the formation. Clearly he's miles cleverer than anyone else. Except maybe St Mirren. They sussed it early. 

19 minutes ago, old school tie said:

He'll turn it around once he gets his four main/injured players back. Or, he'll need a couple of transfer windows to bring his own players in.

I know your ripping the piss but this is exactly what the fanboys will be banging on about shortly. 

2 minutes ago, Morlich said:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but today was the final straw for me. Think he has to stay til  the end of the season,  and then have a hopefully smooth handover to someone else (Macphee?) over the summer.  

I would have a complete clear out of the coaching staff if they are in the same frame of mind as levein. 

Just now, hmfcbilly said:

I would have a complete clear out of the coaching staff if they are in the same frame of mind as levein. 

There's seem to be little happening on the pitch they can collectively claim any credit for. I'd be happy to see them all go at the end of the season , with CL in tow.  

Recent performances have been shocking. We should be doing better with the players we have.  

If this continues CL will be forced out.

allanwilson1970

I am going to throw a curveball, we were flying players got injured and returned and we have still to hit the heights from earlier this season. We were all screaming for Levein to sign the spine up long term. So the following happened -

1. Berra went from outstanding to injured to new contract then off form
  2. Souttar went from outstanding to injured to new contract then off form
  3. Naismith went from outstanding to injured to new contract talks then off form
  4. Uche went from outstanding to injured to new contract talks then off form
  5. Haring went from outstanding to injured to new contract talks then off form (admittedly 1st game back but looked miles off it)
  6. Morrison went from outstanding to new contract then off form
  7. Cochrane last season went from outstanding to injured to new contract last year then off form and in and out
  8. McDonald last season went from outstanding to injured to new contract last year then off form and in and out, on loan

Could the issuance or discussion of a new contract be just a co-incidence? IMO I believe they are connected, instead of hunger and fighting for career they are allowed to become comfortable and riddled with abject performances. 

4 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I can see the arguments for that. My concern is that anyone completely new coming in will inevitably want to change the squad yet again.  So, potentially more money wasted, and another season where "transition " becomes the excuse for everything.  I don't actually believe that the current squad are bad players- we've certainly had far, far worse. It seems to be the mindset and tactics that are costing us. 

NaturalOrder74

No way there’s going to be any changes at the buisness end of the season he’s here till the end of the season. One semi final so far potentially 2 and a Europe finish would be good enough to keep his job anything less and it’s got to be time to part ways in my opinion 

1 minute ago, Morlich said:

I can see the arguments for that. My concern is that anyone completely new coming in will inevitably want to change the squad yet again.  So, potentially more money wasted, and another season where "transition " becomes the excuse for everything.  I don't actually believe that the current squad are bad players- we've certainly had far, far worse. It seems to be the mindset and tactics that are costing us. 

I agree. On paper I reckon we have a fairly strong squad and definitely a strong 1st eleven. A new hearts minded coach with more attack mindedness perhaps? (See my robbo thread?!)

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic