Jump to content

East of Scotland Leagues


systemx

Recommended Posts

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Bit confused with Bo'ness Juniors CFC applying to join EoS set up as Bo'ness United already in the pyramid. A bit like old firm colts teams in the spfl.

There are several precedents for clubs fielding two sides.

Caledonian Braves - LL & SOS

Stirling Uni - LL & EOS

Spartans until recently- LL & EOS

Stranraer - SPFL & SOS

Annan until recently - SPFL & SOS

 

Even Hibs fielded a side in the EOS a few years ago (2014/15?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Footballfirst

    116

  • RobboM

    61

  • Tasavallan

    27

  • Thomaso

    19

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Bit confused with Bo'ness Juniors CFC applying to join EoS set up as Bo'ness United already in the pyramid. A bit like old firm colts teams in the spfl.

Take your pick
In the Bo'ness Juniors corner ....

https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/sport/football/international/boness-united-junior-fc-face-extinction-if-they-dont-apply-to-go-senior-by-march-31-3161939

and in the (real) Bo'ness United corner


https://awww.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/sport/football/international/prospect-of-boness-united-having-a-second-senior-football-club-3162778


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There are several precedents for clubs fielding two sides.

Caledonian Braves - LL & SOS

Stirling Uni - LL & EOS

Spartans until recently- LL & EOS

Stranraer - SPFL & SOS

Annan until recently - SPFL & SOS

 

Even Hibs fielded a side in the EOS a few years ago (2014/15?)

Knew about Stirling University now you've reminded me. However, as @RobboMpoints out the Bo'ness ones seem to be separate entities. Time for a merger maybe call them Bo'ness United? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tasavallan
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Even Hibs fielded a side in the EOS a few years ago (2014/15?)

 

Indeed they did, in which team Cumdog made his name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tasavallan
33 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Two separate teams: BU and BUJ, with the former in LL and latter in EOSFL.  It could work with two separate management teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

I would say tough, as there should be no barrier to new clubs being formed or progressing.

 

The one point which I think is worth arguing is to ensure that Bo'ness United Juniors change their name to ensure that there is no confusion for supporters, sponsors, players etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I would say tough, as there should be no barrier to new clubs being formed or progressing.

 

The one point which I think is worth arguing is to ensure that Bo'ness United Juniors change their name to ensure that there is no confusion for supporters, sponsors, players etc. 


Agreed.
Maybe take out the apostrophe? 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:


Agreed.
Maybe take out the apostrophe? 😂

Take out the apostrophe and force them to use the town's full name might work. 👍

 

Borrowstounness United Juniors

 

Alternatively get them to change back to their pre Bo'ness name, Linlithgow Thistle AFC.

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The Highland League has decided to call a halt to this season.

 

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/2016_Highland_League_-_Season_2020-2021.aspx

 

However, they have also decided to declare Brora as champions on a PPG basis, despite Brora only having played 3 games and a couple of teams not having played any league games.  The reason for that is to ensure that Brora can take part in the pyramid play offs.

 

I expect that the Lowland League will do likewise and nominate Kelty for the play-offs.

 

It would not surprise me if the SPFL was considering not putting club 42 (currently Brechin) up for the play off, this ignoring its obligations to the pyramid.  If they did try to do that, then it would cause a stooshie comparable to what Hearts experienced last summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The Highland League has decided to call a halt to this season.

 

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/2016_Highland_League_-_Season_2020-2021.aspx

 

However, they have also decided to declare Brora as champions on a PPG basis, despite Brora only having played 3 games and a couple of teams not having played any league games.  The reason for that is to ensure that Brora can take part in the pyramid play offs.

 

I expect that the Lowland League will do likewise and nominate Kelty for the play-offs.

 

It would not surprise me if the SPFL was considering not putting club 42 (currently Brechin) up for the play off, this ignoring its obligations to the pyramid.  If they did try to do that, then it would cause a stooshie comparable to what Hearts experienced last summer.

Especially as it is the second toe that Brechin might avoid a play-off. Sporting integrity and all that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, GMEdinburgh said:

It's an entirely predictable statement from VOL.  I don't know how it will play out, but the LL management is obviously keen for a club to get the opportunity to compete in the SPFL play-offs.  That too is perfectly understandable. 

 

It should be noted that VOL finished bottom and only remained in the LL at the end of last season because the LL scrapped relegation, while allowing promotion from the EOS Premier League (Bo'ness), meaning that the LL had 17 teams this season.  VOL had played 23 of 30 games (77%) so would have been relegated had the LL adopted the SPFL's approach. I'm unaware of any similar questioning of the LL's approach then. In some ways they are is a similar situation to Brechin.

 

The EOS Premier League has played, on average, around a third of the league programme. If they ended the season on PPG, then the top 3 would be Jeanfield Swifts @ 2.55, Tranent 2.33 and LTHV 2.2.  (Tranent is currently top on points).

 

I hope that they can come to some compromise in the LL that would allow promotion from the EOS Premier League (the SOS and WOS have gone the Null & Void route) but the consequence would be that the LL may have to run with 18/19 with additional relegation spots following season 2021/22. 

 

 

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

The LL end of season statement.

 

http://slfl.co.uk/finalising-season-2020-21/

 

The Board considered responses provided by member clubs.

Nine clubs wrote to say they supported this recommendation. Three clubs expressed a preference for the season to be declared null and void. This constitutes a majority of clubs in favour of the recommendation. The Board has therefore agreed League positions for season 2020/21 will be decided based on average Points Per Game. The final League table is:

 

ll-table.png.1599cbe611588838feb77a76a8174ca7.png

 

Discussions are ongoing with the Scottish FA, SPFL and SHFL about possible dates for the Pyramid Play-Off competition. All clubs competing in it will, under current Scottish Government requirements, be required to pay for PCR tests.

There are several factors before relegation can be confirmed which includes waiting until the conclusion of the Pyramid and Lower Pyramid Play-Off competitions.

Start date for season 2021/22

The Board has a start date of the weekend of Saturday 17 July 2021.

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Bonnyrigg's response to the LL season ending.

 

https://www.bonnyriggrosefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-2606697.html

 

Generally ok and understanding of Kelty being nominated as champions.  Less happy with the PPG tie-breaker placing them in 3rd place on goal difference, rather than joint 2nd with East Kilbride on PPG alone.  Their issue being that if there is an SPFL reconstruction then they could lose out by being 3rd rather than 2nd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

It seems that following a meeting of the Pyramid Working Group yesterday, decisions have been taken that will see the Highland League adopt three feeder leagues, North Caledonian League, North Region Juniors and a Midland League (predominantly Tayside Juniors) with all three leagues joining the pyramid.

 

That should mean that all semi-pro football will be within the pyramid.  It's taken a while, but it looks like Scottish football is on the verge of accepting a single structure.

 

Now to sort out all the other outstanding bits like reconstruction, colt teams and play-off/promotion/relegation places. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Auldbenches
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Especially as it is the second toe that Brechin might avoid a play-off. Sporting integrity and all that...

Brora have just given us the worse defeat in our history, but I'd still be hoping they beat Brechin in the play offs.  

Here's hoping it's kelty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Brora have just given us the worse defeat in our history, but I'd still be hoping they beat Brechin in the play offs.  

Here's hoping it's kelty.

As would I. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Kelty beat Brechin 2-0 at Glebe Park in this season's Betfred Cup group stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alec Eiffel
7 hours ago, RobboM said:


Over the course of 2019/20 and 2020/21 Vale of Leithen
Played 35
Won 2
Drawn 2
Lost 31
For 23
Against 147
Goal Difference -124

They need to find their level I think.

Managed to stay in the LL previously by getting floodlights errected.  Then stayed in LL due to no promotion/relegation because of COVID.   Knowing Vale, as my son played for them, they are a lovely wee club but maybe it's time to move down to the EOSFL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Managed to stay in the LL previously by getting floodlights errected.  Then stayed in LL due to no promotion/relegation because of COVID.   Knowing Vale, as my son played for them, they are a lovely wee club but maybe it's time to move down to the EOSFL. 


Both Hawick RA and Whitehill Welfare have struggled after the drop down. Expect the EoS Premier to be comparable to mid/lower level LL so there should be plenty of good football to watch if they are relegated. Most of the EoS Premier clubs are SFA licensed so facilities are decent too 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck Berry
16 hours ago, RobboM said:


Over the course of 2019/20 and 2020/21 Vale of Leithen
Played 35
Won 2
Drawn 2
Lost 31
For 23
Against 147
Goal Difference -124

They need to find their level I think.

 

They have a point don't they, if rules were in place at the start of the season but have now been chucked in the bin then they have a right to be unhappy, regardless of their form.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It seems that following a meeting of the Pyramid Working Group yesterday, decisions have been taken that will see the Highland League adopt three feeder leagues, North Caledonian League, North Region Juniors and a Midland League (predominantly Tayside Juniors) with all three leagues joining the pyramid.

 

That should mean that all semi-pro football will be within the pyramid.  It's taken a while, but it looks like Scottish football is on the verge of accepting a single structure.

 

Now to sort out all the other outstanding bits like reconstruction, colt teams and play-off/promotion/relegation places. 

Think there should be automatic promotion for play off winner between LL champions and Highland League champions. Also automatic relegation for the bottom League 2 club. I would still have a play off between the loser of the LL/Highland League play off and second bottom team in League 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Dunbar is the latest club to meet the SFA's licensing requirements.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
systemx

Tranent been busy signing players this week.

Congratulations to Dunbar

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2021 at 14:16, Footballfirst said:

There are several precedents for clubs fielding two sides.

Caledonian Braves - LL & SOS

Stirling Uni - LL & EOS

Spartans until recently- LL & EOS

Stranraer - SPFL & SOS

Annan until recently - SPFL & SOS

 

Even Hibs fielded a side in the EOS a few years ago (2014/15?)

Going back even further( early 70’s, Hearts and Hibs Colts ( basically Thirds ) played in the E of S as did Berwick and Cowdenbeath Reserves

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2021 at 17:36, Footballfirst said:

Take out the apostrophe and force them to use the town's full name might work. 👍

 

Borrowstounness United Juniors

 

Alternatively get them to change back to their pre Bo'ness name, Linlithgow Thistle AFC.

App must stay - it’s so unusual!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the talk of Colt teams again in the news recently, what's to stop clubs from putting Colt teams in the EoS, WoS etc.? I assume they would only need the approval of the clubs and committee of that league? Less red tape for Colt teams being admitted, and every chance that they could work their way up organically into the SPFL in time. Or am I just missing a point there?

 

The above then begs a couple of questions. Why haven't the OF considered this, especially with the new WoS league? Although I believe arrogance and entitlement might be a factor there. And why haven't other teams considered it in the absence of a decent reserve league, specifically Hearts?

 

Not many countries in Europe our size where reserve teams don't participate in the setup somewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

A total of 19 clubs have applied to join the EOSFL for next season by yesterday's deadline.  The applications will be considered at a Special General Meeting on 29 April. 

 

The 19 clubs haven't been named but you would expect all the West Lothian Juniors (13) to have applied (possibly with the exception of Harthill who maybe looking West), plus a few amateur sides from north of the Forth.  A few Tayside juniors may also apply while hedging their bets waiting for confirmation of a Midland senior league.

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise the thread is East of Scotland Leagues but following on from FF's post above there is now confirmation from both the Scottish Juniors FA and the East of Scotland Leagues that the prospect of three feeder leagues to the Highland League is very much on the table. I would imagine that any of the Tayside sides that made a speculative application to the East of Scotland will be re-directed to the Midlands League


 

Scottish Junior FA Pyramid Statement


The Scottish Junior FA & East Region SJFA have formally submitted our commitment and agreement to the Highland League board. We accept the Highland League's invitation to create a link between the Midlands League and the Highland League. Following an application to the Scottish FA board being ratified at their AGM in June 2021, the aim and expectation would then be for the Midlands League to be established for season 2021-2022 at tier 6 of the Scottish football pyramid.


The Scottish Junior FA and East Region SJFA would like to express our sincere gratitude to the Highland League board members and the Scottish FA pyramid working group for their understanding and help on this matter. We look forward to further developing our relationship.


Alex McDowall

Scottish Junior FA

Chief Operating Office






To all member clubs

cc: Board members, Secretarial officials

 

The Pyramid Working Group met today at which all parties agreed to the inclusion of three tier 6 Leagues as feeders into the Highland League. The intention is to have this in place in time for the start of season 2021/22 and will mean there are three feeder Leagues for both the SHFL and SLFL.

 

DAVID BAXTER

Secretary

East of Scotland Football League


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

I realise the thread is East of Scotland Leagues but following on from FF's post above there is now confirmation from both the Scottish Juniors FA and the East of Scotland Leagues that the prospect of three feeder leagues to the Highland League is very much on the table. I would imagine that any of the Tayside sides that made a speculative application to the East of Scotland will be re-directed to the Midlands League


 

Scottish Junior FA Pyramid Statement


The Scottish Junior FA & East Region SJFA have formally submitted our commitment and agreement to the Highland League board. We accept the Highland League's invitation to create a link between the Midlands League and the Highland League. Following an application to the Scottish FA board being ratified at their AGM in June 2021, the aim and expectation would then be for the Midlands League to be established for season 2021-2022 at tier 6 of the Scottish football pyramid.


The Scottish Junior FA and East Region SJFA would like to express our sincere gratitude to the Highland League board members and the Scottish FA pyramid working group for their understanding and help on this matter. We look forward to further developing our relationship.


Alex McDowall

Scottish Junior FA

Chief Operating Office



To all member clubs

cc: Board members, Secretarial officials

 

The Pyramid Working Group met today at which all parties agreed to the inclusion of three tier 6 Leagues as feeders into the Highland League. The intention is to have this in place in time for the start of season 2021/22 and will mean there are three feeder Leagues for both the SHFL and SLFL.

 

DAVID BAXTER

Secretary

East of Scotland Football League

Interesting statement from the SJFA when it talks about "further developing our relationship". I wonder if that means that the SJFA would continue to administer the NRJFA and Midland Leagues (ex ERJFA).  It would put the SJFA on a par with the EOSFL, WOSFL and SOSFL in running tier 6 leagues.  It also raises the possibility of the continuation of the Junior Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Interesting statement from the SJFA when it talks about "further developing our relationship". I wonder if that means that the SJFA would continue to administer the NRJFA and Midland Leagues (ex ERJFA).  It would put the SJFA on a par with the EOSFL, WOSFL and SOSFL in running tier 6 leagues.  It also raises the possibility of the continuation of the Junior Cup.


"continue to administer" in what sense though? The leagues run themselves and the SJFA is an umbrella body running player registration, discipline etc. Within the pyramid that falls to the SFA for consistency. Plus the SJFA is based at Hampden, their leagues would be North of the Tay. As far as continuation of the Junior Cup, it didn't complete for 2019/20 and didn't run at all 2020/21. Is there any legs left in the competition? Surely the end of the road now for the SJFA?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Looks like the go-ahead has been given for the Club 42 / HL / LL play-off at the end of the season

 

Statement from Kelty:

 

As is now widely known the board of the SLFL have decided that the League season for 2020/21 be concluded due to ongoing Covid restrictions, with the Champion Club once again awarded on a PPG basis. The decision to declare a Champion on PPG rather than declare a null and void season was necessary to ensure a club from the SLFL would go forward to the Pyramid Play Off. This decision sees Kelty Hearts FC declared as SLFL Champion Club, we would like to place on record our appreciation of how difficult making this decision would be for the SLFL and its member clubs. We would also like to acknowledge the efforts all member clubs and the SLFL board had made to ensure the successful safe return to SLFL football earlier in the season.

Having been declared as the SLFL Champion club we now face a two legged play-off against Highland League champions Brora Rangers, a fixture that has been approved and confirmed by the SFA as taking place at the end of this month.

With current Covid restrictions only allowing non contact training for adult teams, and also travel restrictions remaining in place, we and the SLFL board are urgently seeking a professional sport exemption from the SFA which will allow the squad to return fully to training. This exemption is necessary to allow the squad to prepare fully for the biggest games in our clubs’ history. We are fully aware that a return to training will require full DPCR Covid testing, and we are currently in discussions to have this in place on the go ahead from the relevant authorities to return to training.

With the scheduled SHFL v SLFL play-offs only 3 weeks away, Saturday 24th April and Saturday 1st May the urgency of receiving this exemption can’t be emphasised enough so our management team and squad can prepare as best they can.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

Cowdenbeath v Albion tomorrow 

Brechin v Albion Rovers next week

Albion v Cowdenbeath on 13th

Brechin v Cowdenbeath on 20th.

Huge games for their future.

Brechin  3 adrift behind Albion and 5 behind Cowdenbeath. 

 

Don't think any of the 3 are able to beat Brora or Kelty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Cowdenbeath v Albion tomorrow 

Brechin v Albion Rovers next week

Albion v Cowdenbeath on 13th

Brechin v Cowdenbeath on 20th.

Huge games for their future.

Brechin  3 adrift behind Albion and 5 behind Cowdenbeath. 

 

Don't think any of the 3 are able to beat Brora or Kelty. 

Match practice will help the SPFL sides.

 

Brora will have an advantage over Kelty by  playing at least a couple of competitive games, albeit one was against Hearts so that doesn't count.

 

The two sides will probably benefit more from the games against each other in the run up to the SPFL playoff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelty is getting twitchy about the lack of a response from the SFA and/or the Scottish Government re their playoff games.

 

After receiving numerous enquiries, the board of Kelty Hearts FC release the following update to keep the club’s supporters aware of the current situation as we look forward to the Pyramid Play-Off fixtures between Brora Rangers and ourselves.

It is now over a week since the SLFL declared Kelty Hearts as their champion club, and subsequently as the SLFL representative in the Pyramid Play-Off ties against the SHFL champions, with SFA approval of the SLFL v SHFL ties being reported in the press on April 2nd .

As detailed in the club’s previous release a Professional Sports exemption is required to allow us to bring the squad back to full training, due to current Scottish Government legislation presently allowing only non contact training for adult teams and the current national travel restrictions. However, despite repeated attempts by club officials and by SLFL officials we are yet to receive confirmation from the Scottish FA or Government that a Professional Sports Exemption is being granted to allow the squad to return to training in order to fully prepare for these games. An email from the club to the Scottish FA Chief Executive on Monday 5th April is still awaiting reply, SLFL officials are also hastening with the governing bodies daily on our behalf.

The exemption that the club requires is identical to that previously granted to SHFL clubs to enable their participation in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds of the Scottish Cup, an exemption now also required by Brora Rangers following their exit from the Scottish Cup.

The first leg of the Play-Off ties is scheduled to be played on Saturday 24th April. With the requirement for full testing to be in place to allow a return to training, in the interests of player wellbeing we call on Government representatives and Scottish FA officials to grant the required exemption as a matter of urgency. With little over two weeks until the scheduled 1st leg any further delay will be grossly unfair on the players involved, with sufficient preparation time required to prevent injury as much as possible having been out the game since the beggining of January, 3 months.

We would like to assure supporters, management and players that the club are doing everything in our power to ensure this exemption is received as soon as possible, and we would like to give our continued thanks to the SLFL for their ongoing efforts on our club’s behalf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Kelty is getting twitchy about the lack of a response from the SFA and/or the Scottish Government re their playoff games.

 

After receiving numerous enquiries, the board of Kelty Hearts FC release the following update to keep the club’s supporters aware of the current situation as we look forward to the Pyramid Play-Off fixtures between Brora Rangers and ourselves.

It is now over a week since the SLFL declared Kelty Hearts as their champion club, and subsequently as the SLFL representative in the Pyramid Play-Off ties against the SHFL champions, with SFA approval of the SLFL v SHFL ties being reported in the press on April 2nd .

As detailed in the club’s previous release a Professional Sports exemption is required to allow us to bring the squad back to full training, due to current Scottish Government legislation presently allowing only non contact training for adult teams and the current national travel restrictions. However, despite repeated attempts by club officials and by SLFL officials we are yet to receive confirmation from the Scottish FA or Government that a Professional Sports Exemption is being granted to allow the squad to return to training in order to fully prepare for these games. An email from the club to the Scottish FA Chief Executive on Monday 5th April is still awaiting reply, SLFL officials are also hastening with the governing bodies daily on our behalf.

The exemption that the club requires is identical to that previously granted to SHFL clubs to enable their participation in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds of the Scottish Cup, an exemption now also required by Brora Rangers following their exit from the Scottish Cup.

The first leg of the Play-Off ties is scheduled to be played on Saturday 24th April. With the requirement for full testing to be in place to allow a return to training, in the interests of player wellbeing we call on Government representatives and Scottish FA officials to grant the required exemption as a matter of urgency. With little over two weeks until the scheduled 1st leg any further delay will be grossly unfair on the players involved, with sufficient preparation time required to prevent injury as much as possible having been out the game since the beggining of January, 3 months.

We would like to assure supporters, management and players that the club are doing everything in our power to ensure this exemption is received as soon as possible, and we would like to give our continued thanks to the SLFL for their ongoing efforts on our club’s behalf.

i think we know what's coming next a stay of execution for a certain club methinks

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think we know what's coming next a stay of execution for a certain club methinks


Brechin City play Cowdenbeath on 20th April. I'd guess the SFA might be clearer about their answer after that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Niemi’s gloves
3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think we know what's coming next a stay of execution for a certain club methinks


Just read a thread called “pyramid play off” on the Albion Rovers forum. Their perspective seems to be that (1)  the SFA can organise an HL/LL play off but a subsequent play off with club 42 is entirely in the hands of the SPFL; (2) the HL and LL both agreed before the start of the season that 50% of games needed to be played before a champion could be declared so the play off is illegitimate; (3) a play off would be unfair to the SPFL club 42 because of their current heavy programme vs the HL/LL players being nicely rested and so (4) the SPFL should just say no to a play off if (hilariously) they are to have “a shred of credibility”.

 

I don’t know how many of the points made are factual but the whole thing does seem to me to reinforce a point I’ve made before. A big weakness of Scottish football is that the SFA are effectively subordinate to the SPFL when it should be the other way round. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:


Just read a thread called “pyramid play off” on the Albion Rovers forum. Their perspective seems to be that (1)  the SFA can organise an HL/LL play off but a subsequent play off with club 42 is entirely in the hands of the SPFL; (2) the HL and LL both agreed before the start of the season that 50% of games needed to be played before a champion could be declared so the play off is illegitimate; (3) a play off would be unfair to the SPFL club 42 because of their current heavy programme vs the HL/LL players being nicely rested and so (4) the SPFL should just say no to a play off if (hilariously) they are to have “a shred of credibility”.

 

I don’t know how many of the points made are factual but the whole thing does seem to me to reinforce a point I’ve made before. A big weakness of Scottish football is that the SFA are effectively subordinate to the SPFL when it should be the other way round. 

Re 1.

From the SPFL rules:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 16-Mar-21 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

(a)The League Champions of the SHFL and the SLFL at the end of season 2015/2016 and in each season thereafter will (subject to rule III(f)) take part in the Play-Off Match which shall consist of a home and away two-legged match approved and organised by the Scottish F.A to determine, subject to these rules, which club shall take part in the Pyramid Play-Off Match. A draw supervised by the Scottish FA will determine which club has home advantage in the first match.

(b)The winner of the match detailed in rule III(a), or the team determined in accordance with rule III(f), will enter a home and away two-legged match against Club 42 known as the “Pyramid Play-Off Match”. The Pyramid Play-Off Match pursuant to this rule III(b) shall be approved and organised by the SPFL and the basis on which the Pyramid Play-Off Match shall take place shall be as specified in the SPFL Rules. The winner of the Pyramid Play-Off Match will be entitled to be a member of and play in the SPFL League Two during the immediately succeeding Season and shall thereafter comply with the Rules and Regulations of the SPFL.

 

Re 2

The LL had previously agreed with the clubs that 50% of games had to be played before using PPG to declare a league champion.  However, the LL Board appears to have the authority to change the rules as they see fit: 

 

From the LL Rules

E5 The Board shall have the power to temporarily suspend, amend or add to the rules as circumstances may dictate from time to time, as it deems appropriate in its reasonable discretion, to facilitate the smooth running of the competition, or in order to ensure the League is capable of meeting any commitments put upon it under the terms of any contracts or agreements with other bodies or sponsors.

 

Re 3 & 4

Those statements are just opinions

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2021 at 20:25, Tommy Brown said:

Cowdenbeath v Albion tomorrow 

Brechin v Albion Rovers next week

Albion v Cowdenbeath on 13th

Brechin v Cowdenbeath on 20th.

Huge games for their future.

Brechin  3 adrift behind Albion and 5 behind Cowdenbeath. 

 

Don't think any of the 3 are able to beat Brora or Kelty. 

I hope it's Brechin that finally get what they're due.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I hope it's Brechin that finally get what they're due.

Understandable, but personally, I would rather see Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, RobboM said:


Brechin City play Cowdenbeath on 20th April. I'd guess the SFA might be clearer about their answer after that!

Corrupt to the core. Unbelievable if brechin somehow wriggle out of relegation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

I assume that the SPFL has decided that Club 42 (Brechin?) will have to face a playoff.

 

 

KEN FERGUSON STEPS DOWN FROM SPFL BOARD

SPFL CONSIDERS PYRAMID PLAY-OFF ISSUES

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.

He said: “In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season.”

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: “On behalf of the entire SPFL Board, I would like to thank Ken for his huge contribution to the SPFL Board over the past two seasons.  I entirely understand and respect his reasons for wanting to step down at this time.  Ken’s hard work, commitment and wisdom have been of enormous benefit to the League and he will be missed.” 

Gordon Thomson of Clyde FC, the SPFL’s alternate director, will represent League 1 and League 2 until the SPFL’s AGM in July.

The SPFL also announced today that it is considering several issues relating to the Pyramid Play-Offs and that, as a result, it is not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.

The SPFL understands that the Lowland League and the Highland League have each declared ‘League Champions’ for Season 2020/21, with Kelty Hearts having played just 13 games; and Brora Rangers having played only three games this season.

At its meeting on 19 April, the SPFL Board will determine whether each of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers meet the SPFL’s Membership Criteria.  Only then will the SPFL be in a position to announce the position in respect of Pyramid Play-Offs this season.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “Given that there are a number of uncertainties, including whether League 2 clubs will play 22 or 18 games this season, we are not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.  Whilst we understand that this lack of certainty will be disappointing to supporters of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts, it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season.  Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season.”

Edited by Footballfirst
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I assume that the SPFL has decided that Club 42 (Brechin?) will have to face a playoff.

 

 

KEN FERGUSON STEPS DOWN FROM SPFL BOARD

SPFL CONSIDERS PYRAMID PLAY-OFF ISSUES

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.


I'm imagining it went like this
Ken "Boys, you've got to help me out again. We're goosed, these Glasgow boys we signed are garbage again".
Board "Sorry Ken, no can do. They Brora boys are red hot, did you see them gub Hearts?"
Ken "Come on lads. At least give us a parachute into the Lowland League. All our players are there!"
Board "Sorry Ken. The Highanders have got their finger out their arse and organising leagues that have your name all over it"
Ken "Right .... Well F&^% you! I'm off, F&^%  the lot of youse. And they Glasgow boys are getting dropped. I'm playing up top"
Door slams ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...