Glen Whelan

Old Gray Badger

rudi must stay

Classy player. Yes I would say he's one of the best players in the league in his position. Just need to find the right partner for him, not easy but hopefully that will be Peter Haring. From early indications I don't think it's Damour but there you go

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Morgan

• Weakened Offender

1 hour ago, jambogemz said:

You can see his class and quality are a cut above many in the SPFL.

Let's hope we can keep him fit as a settled side with Whealen, Haring, Walker and Naismith would get us back up the table. 

It would be great to have these injured players back as well as Halkett, Washington and Souttar.

It should have been ten
8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Please you have just made me burst my sides with laughter

He has been okay and that's it

Suggest you book an appointment ASAP :thumbsup:

14A60E41-73FE-4630-925D-2B7550890ADE.jpeg.eb8d63483435bb52a1ebf13cfc87d070.jpeg

Edited by It should have been ten

10 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by Whelan. Don't think he's brought that much to the table. Couple of decent games, that's it. 

Haha

John mcCartney
8 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

If he's lived up to your expectations then I am pleased for you. I've watched every game he's played in, nothing much to get excited about. 

utter bollocks,the bloke is a consummate midfielder

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Add Whelan and Naismith makes 3. 

Hopefully. As I said earlier before the 'we're lucky to have him' brigade got all excited, Whelan has had 2 or 3 decent games for us so far, all in Edinburgh. If Naismith can keep himself fit and prioritise playing for HMFC then we could still make something of this season. 

The Old Tolbooth

I was surprised when I saw he was playing as I thought he was injured, but I was also hugely pleased because that means he's back for the weekend, a sheer class act! 

AlphonseCapone
12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

He's not the game changing type of player. He's the type to win and keep the ball and funnel it to the players who make things happen. Do the simple things well and be a midfield general basically. All, or most, of our best attackers and midfielders have been injured while he's been here so we should really see his value when everyone's back, or Naismith and Walker at least.

Whelan is the player's player. Anyone that has played football automatically can see what he brings. I think if you asked your Naismith's etc they'd be full of praise.

Weakened Offender
42 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was surprised when I saw he was playing as I thought he was injured

Easy mistake to make with our players the week before an international break. 

11 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I thought it was so obvious..no one can really be serious about him in the top 10 based on his performances for us.

You really don't need a list do you..I'll not even mention Rangers

Forrest, Edouard, Rogic, Ntcham, Christie, McGregor, ..there are at least another 3 before I even have to consider it

you seem to be having difficulty, did you have to look these up, three more is a challenge.

Delighted to have GW at our club. Class player and when we become injury free and have the right mix we will concede very few goals.

2 hours ago, H2 said:

you seem to be having difficulty, did you have to look these up, three more is a challenge.

I notice you forgot to dispute my selections so 6 better players already without having to do any kind of search...it is embarrassing making me do this for you were the one who made the claim which is patently false

Just to keep you happy Naismith by a mile, Morelos, Defoe, Kamara..there are many more so there's 10 for you..apology accepted in advance

This silly defence of a decent player just shows you some have a totally blinkered view

29 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I notice you forgot to dispute my selections so 6 better players already without having to do any kind of search...it is embarrassing making me do this for you were the one who made the claim which is patently false

Just to keep you happy Naismith by a mile, Morelos, Defoe, Kamara..there are many more so there's 10 for you..apology accepted in advance

This silly defence of a decent player just shows you some have a totally blinkered view

Whelan is a better player than Kamara imo. Most of the others you have suggested are difficult to compare because of the positions they play.

4 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was surprised when I saw he was playing as I thought he was injured, but I was also hugely pleased because that means he's back for the weekend, a sheer class act! 

I hear he has pulled a hamstring and will be out for 4 weeks....should be fit for the next Irish game though. 👍

😉

Coburg Hearts

Ewan Murray's take on last night's game .........

........Because I can and am recently interested (

😅

😞 have watched how Glenn Whelan navigates the pitch in this game. If that isn’t a lesson to kids wanting to learn a position... his discipline is incredible.

portobellojambo1

I'm not sure if we have actually seen how well Whelan could play for us, just down to the way we've been lining up and playing, hopefully something which will change after the result versus St Mirren. He plays a very effective role for Ireland, where he sits in front of the back 4, wins the ball but has outlets to then play it forward to. That is an option which was very limited to him at Tynecastle, but will hopefully now get a chance to flourish if the management accept that the style of play used versus St Mirren was 1,000,000 times more successful than what had been on offer for far too long.

35 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm not sure if we have actually seen how well Whelan could play for us, just down to the way we've been lining up and playing, hopefully something which will change after the result versus St Mirren. He plays a very effective role for Ireland, where he sits in front of the back 4, wins the ball but has outlets to then play it forward to. That is an option which was very limited to him at Tynecastle, but will hopefully now get a chance to flourish if the management accept that the style of play used versus St Mirren was 1,000,000 times more successful than what had been on offer for far too long.

Agreed.

Don't think he has had the right player beside him so far.

Could change when Haring is back.

Be nice to get a wee update on him, Halkett ,Washington and Souttar on how they are progressing.

We_are_the_Hearts

Held the team together at Easter Road and gives the team far better shape when he plays. Reads the game well and can pass. Top player.

North Berwick Jambo

He is a class act. Although they are quite similar players  I can’t wait to see how we set up with him & Haring in the same team. I assume Whelan will sit slightly deeper allowing Haring to go forward more.

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

2 minutes ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

He is a class act. Although they are quite similar players  I can’t wait to see how we set up with him & Haring in the same team. I assume Whelan will sit slightly deeper allowing Haring to go forward more.

Most of Haring's best work it done in the middle to forwards areas of the pitch imo.

8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Most of Haring's best work it done in the middle to forwards areas of the pitch imo.

Correct.     He's not a non-creative holding player.     More of a deeper lying playmaker.

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct.     He's not a non-creative holding player.     More of a deeper lying playmaker.

I think Whelan is fairly adept in the central and forward areas too tbh. I’ve yet to make my mind up about where Damour looks most effective. At the moment I think they are a midfield three, and Whelan would be the most effective in the deepest position of the three, but he can play football and I wouldn’t be adverse to having a skill full central defensive midfielder in there again. Bruno was probably the last in that mould when played there, and before him I would say Tomascheck or Salvatori. Finding how best to set up a midfield three containing Whelan, Haring and Damour/Irving is one of the things I’m looking forward to most as the season progresses.

19 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by Whelan. Don't think he's brought that much to the table. Couple of decent games, that's it. 

The quality around him has been horrendous tbf. He’s done everything that has been asked of him. If he’s transitioning  the ball between defence and further forward, if there’s no movement, no one making runs or showing for it, all he can do is go sideways or back. Not really his fault that others aren’t on the same wavelength.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The quality around him has been horrendous tbf. He’s done everything that has been asked of him. If he’s transitioning  the ball between defence and further forward, if there’s no movement, no one making runs or showing for it, all he can do is go sideways or back. Not really his fault that others aren’t on the same wavelength.

This is exactly why I am desperate to see Whelan and Naismith have an extended run in the team together. Add Souttar in there and suddenly you have the three outfield areas of the team connected properly. Halkett, Washington and Haring tossed in to the mix... good core of first team players.

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

This is exactly why I am desperate to see Whelan and Naismith have an extended run in the team together. Add Souttar in there and suddenly you have the three outfield areas of the team connected properly. Halkett, Washington and Haring tossed in to the mix... good core of first team players.

Agree. We’ve always had that and despite performances, Levein made good signings this year. Unfortunately we’ve never had our best XI on the pitch and we’ve utilised the likes of Washington poorly because we haven’t had our key players like Naisy or Walker available.

Haring and Whelan might be the perfect midfield duo. We know Haring likes a goal and Whelan can let him get forward a bit more. Whelan can play a bit as well and with Haring in there, it would allow him to pull the strings a bit more. A proper old school midfield pairing.

Jury’s still out of Halkett for me, we’ve been better defensively since he got injured but Souttars ability on the ball has been a huge loss. 

Samuel Camazzola
19 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

18 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Please you have just made me burst my sides with laughter

He has been okay and that's it

Good analysis from Sleeves via Twitter...

Glenn Whelan was still our best central midfielder out there tonight. Passed forward, won 2nd balls and covered so much ground. Anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand the game. Doherty & McGoldrick were v good too. We play like that in play-offs we have huge chance. #Believe

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree. We’ve always had that and despite performances, Levein made good signings this year. Unfortunately we’ve never had our best XI on the pitch and we’ve utilised the likes of Washington poorly because we haven’t had our key players like Naisy or Walker available.

Haring and Whelan might be the perfect midfield duo. We know Haring likes a goal and Whelan can let him get forward a bit more. Whelan can play a bit as well and with Haring in there, it would allow him to pull the strings a bit more. A proper old school midfield pairing.

Jury’s still out of Halkett for me, we’ve been better defensively since he got injured but Souttars ability on the ball has been a huge loss. 

You could add Smith in to the first team pool as well. 

Whelan is a fantastic player, and he completes the outfield linchpins for me. 

Agree with what you are saying, and I’m also prepared to wait and see how Halkett develops, but for me the early signs have been good. 👍

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You could add Smith in to the first team pool as well. 

Whelan is a fantastic player, and he completes the outfield linchpins for me. 

Agree with what you are saying, and I’m also prepared to wait and see how Halkett develops, but for me the early signs have been good. 👍

Defo, Smiths a key player. Might even be better at Centerhalf.

Halketts got plenty of time to improve, it was always going to be a step up for him from Livi but I’m sure he’ll come good.

41 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I think Whelan is fairly adept in the central and forward areas too tbh. I’ve yet to make my mind up about where Damour looks most effective. At the moment I think they are a midfield three, and Whelan would be the most effective in the deepest position of the three, but he can play football and I wouldn’t be adverse to having a skill full central defensive midfielder in there again. Bruno was probably the last in that mould when played there, and before him I would say Tomascheck or Salvatori. Finding how best to set up a midfield three containing Whelan, Haring and Damour/Irving is one of the things I’m looking forward to most as the season progresses.

Damour would look more comfortable in front of a better functioning and settled back 3 + 2 solid wing backs.     We've got the players but have never had a chance to play the right unit.    Damour in the 2 of a 3  -  5(2/3)  -  2.   

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good analysis from Sleeves via Twitter...

Glenn Whelan was still our best central midfielder out there tonight. Passed forward, won 2nd balls and covered so much ground. Anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand the game. Doherty & McGoldrick were v good too. We play like that in play-offs we have huge chance. #Believe

So we can take from that not everyone was fawning over his performance....Just like JKB there are those for and some who are still waiting on that performance others claim to have seen

It is sad that anyone who doesn't tell you he's the best thing since sliced bread gets criticism

He has done okay and that's it..lets hope he improves as the season goes on and to be fair he has been suffering from injuries which will not have helped as well as the teams own injury situation

There were 2 central midfielders playing for the Republic so perhaps he was the best central midfielder playing for them last night

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

So we can take from that not everyone was fawning over his performance....Just like JKB there are those for and some who are still waiting on that performance others claim to have seen

It is sad that anyone who doesn't tell you he's the best thing since sliced bread gets criticism

He has done okay and that's it..lets hope he improves as the season goes on and to be fair he has been suffering from injuries which will not have helped as well as the teams own injury situation

There were 2 central midfielders playing for the Republic so perhaps he was the best central midfielder playing for them last night

Is it possible that you maybe subconsciously underplay how important some attributes and styles are compared to others?

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Is it possible that you maybe subconsciously underplay how important some attributes and styles are compared to others?

It is possible but equally it is possible you and others exaggerate his influence

That's opinion for you

For example Haring to me is far more important to us than Whelan and would be in the team ahead of him if fit...that's an opinion not a fact (yet)

31 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

It is possible but equally it is possible you and others exaggerate his influence

That's opinion for you

For example Haring to me is far more important to us than Whelan and would be in the team ahead of him if fit...that's an opinion not a fact (yet)

For the umpteenth time recently on here, I’m not going to get involved in a who is/was better debate about Hearts players. 

I’m a big fan of Peter Haring. He improves us massively when available. I prefer to wait and see how the two players combine and what that will mean for our team, rather than see them as competing with each other for some non-existent coveted award of ‘Best Hearts Midfielder 2019/20’.

Back to Whelan though, he has kept us from falling apart whilst some of our other best players have been injured, and I’m looking forward to seeing how he does when they are back. Something exciting for the long suffering support.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yeah, I get that. And he does do a bit of sideways and backways. Hopefully once we get the injured players back we see the best of him. 

6 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Why would I dispute "YOUR OPINION", after all it's yours, you are entitle to it. I didn't make you do anything, it's all your choice what you do.

Your opinion is that my statement is false, that's up to you,  "patently" my statement it true.

I didn't notice the ball in my half, so no need for defence... 

Thanks for the entertainment.

Oh.. apologies for making you work to hard, but I am very happy with my "blinkered view"

image.png.5bd209d06813c01137b5f9d4bb3126e7.png

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Damour would look more comfortable in front of a better functioning and settled back 3 + 2 solid wing backs.     We've got the players but have never had a chance to play the right unit.    Damour in the 2 of a 3  -  5(2/3)  -  2.   

Damour is one player I'm hoping a new manager can help kick-on with us, along with Clare, by finding his best position for us. Been underwhelmed by him so far - very much a downgrade from Djoum in terms of quality.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Whelan could be our new Sandy Jardine IMO, in terms of helping to develop players around him. Naismith too. We don't sign players of this calibre with so many caps and playing mostly for good teams at a good level very often.

6 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Anyone know what the tattoo on his left arm says?

Got close once and nearly got it all , it started something like

**** off you nosy Ba......, sorry missed the end🤔

The Old Tolbooth
20 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I hear he has pulled a hamstring and will be out for 4 weeks....should be fit for the next Irish game though. 👍

😉

Ah, Jankauskis MkII ;) 

Unlike some of our players (over the years), Whelan is confident enough to go looking for the ball even in tight situations. (Gomis did the same, as did Buaben when he played beside Gomis.) 

He gives our defenders an out-ball, making hoofball less necessary, and tries to drive the game forward, often accurately passing to attackers' feet. Sounds simple? Anyone who does not appreciate that needs to take a closer look.

With better players around him, he can do more damage.

17 hours ago, H2 said:

Why would I dispute "YOUR OPINION", after all it's yours, you are entitle to it. I didn't make you do anything, it's all your choice what you do.

Your opinion is that my statement is false, that's up to you,  "patently" my statement it true.

I didn't notice the ball in my half, so no need for defence... 

Thanks for the entertainment.

Oh.. apologies for making you work to hard, but I am very happy with my "blinkered view"

image.png.5bd209d06813c01137b5f9d4bb3126e7.png

You told us that he was in the top 10..you not me

I gave you 10 names all of whom are better players so if you are going to make claims it is up to you to justify them when questioned..you clearly do not want to do so as I presume you now realise your claim was just not true

I know you feel a bit embarrassed about being called out but if you are going to make claims then that's what will happen

You really make it too easy at times

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I gave you 10 names all of whom are better players so if you are going to make claims it is up to you to justify them when questioned..you clearly do not want to do so as I presume you now realise your claim was just not true

I know you feel a bit embarrassed about being called out but if you are going to make claims then that's what will happen

No idea if he is in the top 10 in Scotland or not, just know we are lucky to have him. On your post all I would say is in  your opinion these 10 players are better

Edited by XB52

8 hours ago, CJGJ said:

:fonzie:😎:scenes::clyay:🤣

2-0

image.png.d44392f3e651deb19bc6a71c6ca09347.png

What makes any of the 10 you named better players?

"it is up to you to justify them when questioned." - Really, why?