What happens after?

OTT

I can't honestly give this season any more head space. Disappointed, let down and gutted. To have had to write off every season since Neilson left has been an absolute disgrace and IMO makes Leveins tenure beyond this season impossible. DOF was supposed to bring continuity, not abject mediocrity - actually, I think that might be an improvement on where we currently are!

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that to me is the end of this season when Budge is finally paid back. I can't honestly see her staying on, the abuse she has been subjected to (hang budge graffiti for example) must take its toll on someone in their 70s. Levein's contract (thank the good lord) is finally concluded at the end of this season (I believe?), which will mean the club hierarchy will be changing. There isn't a hope in hell surely of Levein being asked to stay on after the utter shambles we've had to witness since Neilson left us. I'm genuinely not sure our ticket sales could withstand it - all time low springs to mind...

So what does the future look like? Who runs the footballing department for next season? Any obvious candidates to take over as chairman, CEO? 

Personally, I'd love to see JJ back at the club in some capacity. Obviously the recent health scare would rule out anything particularly onerous but as some sort of part time footballing adviser to have a genuinely neutral third party advising the board of footballing matters might be beneficial. I think had Levein just been a run of the mill manager he would have been sacked a long time ago, and its clear we need some sort of third party advising the board with no skin in the game besides a love of the club. As far as manager/ head coach goes, I suppose the most straightforward approach is to open things up and start interviewing. Personally, would love to see someone with a experience at a higher level with his own coaching team.

I mentioned it in a previous thread, but having Ian Murray as our chairman could be hugely beneficial for having someone who can deal with the media and navigate the bureaucracy at Hampden. The guy obviously is a massive, massive jambo and I think its a match made in heaven (provided he wants to finish up with politics since I don't think the two would reconcile well). Moving on from that you would obviously need someone with Budges business brain to keep the club moving forward. I think its something the club should invest in big time. I don't believe we've ever had a turnover in excess of £15m outside of the seasons with significant player sales - Gordon only?? Which means getting the right person in to oversee these matters is hugely important. 

Anyway, I thought it might be worth starting a thread to look ahead at what a post Budge/Levein hearts might look like. Thoughts? 

Innocent Eggboniki

Ask Craig Levein the Board member to ask Craig Levein the Director of Football to ask Craig Levein the Head Coach how he sees it next season

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Someone who realises our potential and then dreams a bit bigger. It's unlikely we are going to win the league but that doesn't mean we can't think and act like the third biggest club in the country at all times. We should be picking up the odd cup and seeing ourselves as a team that can make the Europa League group stages from time to time. 

We should also be bringing through young players as if we are grooming them for money moves to Glasgow or England. We should be identifying youngsters who have the physicality and technique to play at those levels. Paterson and Hickey are prime examples. Guys like Zanatta and Keena are probably a waste of everyone's time. We should be playing them at 18 or 19 and looking to sell them midway through their second contract. I know that sticks in the craw and it's much easier said than done but you get the gist. 

5 minutes ago, Innocent Eggboniki said:

Ask Craig Levein the Board member to ask Craig Levein the Director of Football to ask Craig Levein the Head Coach how he sees it next season

When you put it as starkly as that, it's a complete circus.

I would be in favour of:

- Voting in favour of Budge being retained as CEO for another year

- MacPhee moving to a DoF role (he is better suited to the business side, and his own football business is highly successful)

- New manager and coaching staff recruited

Heck, I would be in favour of that happening now... with Andy Kirk interim manager while Budge and MacPhee find a new manager (preferably with no previous Hearts connection).

We need to give jobs to the best candidates.

No jobs for the boys.

No coaching jobs for guys just because they played for hearts previously.

No coaching jobs for somebody’s pal.

We need a proper scouting team set up.

We also need to sell players for money in order to grow. Reinvest wisely and build the club. Far bigger clubs than us have done this successfully.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

When you put it as starkly as that, it's a complete circus.

Shame that isn't how it works though.

19 minutes ago, OTT said:

I can't honestly give this season any more head space. Disappointed, let down and gutted. To have had to write off every season since Neilson left has been an absolute disgrace and IMO makes Leveins tenure beyond this season impossible. DOF was supposed to bring continuity, not abject mediocrity - actually, I think that might be an improvement on where we currently are!

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that to me is the end of this season when Budge is finally paid back. I can't honestly see her staying on, the abuse she has been subjected to (hang budge graffiti for example) must take its toll on someone in their 70s. Levein's contract (thank the good lord) is finally concluded at the end of this season (I believe?), which will mean the club hierarchy will be changing. There isn't a hope in hell surely of Levein being asked to stay on after the utter shambles we've had to witness since Neilson left us. I'm genuinely not sure our ticket sales could withstand it - all time low springs to mind...

So what does the future look like? Who runs the footballing department for next season? Any obvious candidates to take over as chairman, CEO? 

Personally, I'd love to see JJ back at the club in some capacity. Obviously the recent health scare would rule out anything particularly onerous but as some sort of part time footballing adviser to have a genuinely neutral third party advising the board of footballing matters might be beneficial. I think had Levein just been a run of the mill manager he would have been sacked a long time ago, and its clear we need some sort of third party advising the board with no skin in the game besides a love of the club. As far as manager/ head coach goes, I suppose the most straightforward approach is to open things up and start interviewing. Personally, would love to see someone with a experience at a higher level with his own coaching team.

I mentioned it in a previous thread, but having Ian Murray as our chairman could be hugely beneficial for having someone who can deal with the media and navigate the bureaucracy at Hampden. The guy obviously is a massive, massive jambo and I think its a match made in heaven (provided he wants to finish up with politics since I don't think the two would reconcile well). Moving on from that you would obviously need someone with Budges business brain to keep the club moving forward. I think its something the club should invest in big time. I don't believe we've ever had a turnover in excess of £15m outside of the seasons with significant player sales - Gordon only?? Which means getting the right person in to oversee these matters is hugely important. 

Anyway, I thought it might be worth starting a thread to look ahead at what a post Budge/Levein hearts might look like. Thoughts? 

Ian Murray would be ideal, but would he have the time to do the job considering his role in politics 😏

Hampden Demolition

What worries me is that even when Budge and Levein go, what happens if we end up with a manager as bad as him in the future? The FOH board have shown, in my opinion, to be as spineless as our current one so could we have this issue again? I am not for one saying we should be chopping and changing our manager all the time but after a run of terrible form as prolonged as this, we need someone in charge who can recognise when change is required.

Just now, Hampden Demolition said:

The FOH board have shown, in my opinion, to be as spineless as our current one so could we have this issue again?

The FOH will appoint a CEO/Chairperson to run the club. Fan owned not fan run remember.

Hampden Demolition
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

The FOH will appoint a CEO/Chairperson to run the club. Fan owned not fan run remember.

And that’s the worry. Will they appoint someone who is lacking in leadership ala Ann Budge? I’m not saying fans should run the club, not for one second, but we need to have confidence that the board can make the correct decision for the football club which at the minute, Ann is failing to do.

6 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

What worries me is that even when Budge and Levein go, what happens if we end up with a manager as bad as him in the future? The FOH board have shown, in my opinion, to be as spineless as our current one so could we have this issue again? I am not for one saying we should be chopping and changing our manager all the time but after a run of terrible form as prolonged as this, we need someone in charge who can recognise when change is required.

It would be impossible to ever get a manager as bad as Levein with the generous resources he has had.  Most season ticket holders would do a better job than him.

12 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Shame that isn't how it works though.

Nothing at the club works!!! 

It is broken and when the most loyal fans start to disappear because we have not binned the manager Budge will have a lot to answer for. Wonder what she though of the booing her on Saturday. Probably getting the £200 grand CCTV to ban everyone!!!!

20 minutes ago, Innocent Eggboniki said:

Craig Levein the head coach has informed Craig Levein the DOF to inform the Board that he is signing Craig Levein on a 4 year contract as the new centre forward.

Innocent Eggboniki
3 minutes ago, jake said:

Craig Levein the head coach has informed Craig Levein the DOF to inform the Board that he is signing Craig Levein on a 4 year contract as the new centre forward.

This

Jambo 4 Ever
25 minutes ago, kila said:

I would be in favour of:

- MacPhee moving to a DoF role (he is better suited to the business side, and his own football business is highly successful)

Heck, I would be in favour of that happening now... with Andy Kirk interim manager while Budge and MacPhee find a new manager (preferably with no previous Hearts connection).

This makes sense 

portobellojambo1
30 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

His post, not yours, was a load of bollocks.

Who do you believe provides the board and CEO with any statement relating to football matters and how the football side of the business is functioning.

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's going to be so depressing when we end up with one of our current coaches as manager isn't it. 

Please no.

25 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

I started a thread minimum requirement .

3 year contract

Top 4 finish 2 out of 3

Two away wins in Glasgow

Two cup finals

Failure to make top 6 is a fail

Some grief I got.

Hearts will attract plenty interest from good pedigree.

Perhaps if Levein leaves you could add 6 months to the above .

To sort the mess out.

But for me this should be how future coaching teams are judged.

Leveins Battalion

Great OP,it’s clear we all want rid of Levein but I guess we all don’t know what the future holds.IMO the 1st team squad is a bit of a mess,I’m sure any new management team would want to shake it up a bit.

The Levein legacy will leave a bitter taste in the mouth,it will be the end of a long drawn out painfull era.

Ann Budge also will probably not be remembered fondly now as she has let this go on far too long.

My old man is in his mid 70’s and he said just the other day it’s the 1st time in his life that he can’t be arsed with Hearts.This tells me everything,season ticket holder but didn’t even bother going on Saturday.

Sad times.

49 minutes ago, Innocent Eggboniki said:

He's on the Board as the Director of Football.  These aren't separate roles. 

I would be very unhappy if McPhee was allowed to stay in any capacity. He is definitely in the mold of Levein, and therefore over complicates things to the extent that the players have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. He is a PowerPoint coach and has no place in the dug out. 

Innocent Eggboniki
12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He's on the Board as the Director of Football.  These aren't separate roles. 

Just keep defending him there’s a good Chap

5 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

I would be very unhappy if McPhee was allowed to stay in any capacity. He is definitely in the mold of Levein, and therefore over complicates things to the extent that the players have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. He is a PowerPoint coach and has no place in the dug out. 

Really? I think others have made some good points on MacPhee. Building his own coaching business shows some of the skills you might look for in a DOF. I think Austin might be very good on those side of things. Remember, in a DOF you don't need (or want) a manager. You want someone who can set long term strategy, appoint the right people and ultimately be accountable for those appointments. Being a good manager, or a good coach has little baring on your ability to be a Director of Football. Video below is well worth a watch, prime example being Txiki Begiristain at City (formerly Barca), who has he coached? No one. Business acumen and an understanding of the game are among the characteristics needed. I think there is a very sound argument to MacPhee being that guy. 

Also worth considering he's not his own man under Levein. This is Leveins vision (god help us all). MacPhee may well have radically different views on how the footballing department should be run. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMVdrGbZkGo&t=2s

Levein, MacPhee, Daly, Foxy and Gallacher all should be asked to leave the club immediately.  Gary Locke and Gary Naysmith can be tasked with the team until a new management team is found.

I think there is time before the handover to FoH for a new Chief Executive to be found and that person take over the executive management of the club.  That person can be tasked with the review of the disorganised football department that Ann Budge had promised and seemingly has failed to deliver.  In particular they should be looking at the expansion of staffing into things like Loans Manager rather than getting the cash on the park.  They should also be looking at the sports scientist/physios given the horrific injury record - and in particular at the £4m 'academy' where the results are poor and the CV of the Academy Director offers no confidence in that turning around.

I like the idea of an Advisor on Sports Matters to the Board - and someone like JJ might just be the right person.  None of the current Board have done themselves any credit in allowing Levein full rein on the club - and in particular in not ending his contract a long long time ago.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, jake said:

Please no.

I started a thread minimum requirement .

3 year contract

Top 4 finish 2 out of 3

Two away wins in Glasgow

Two cup finals

Failure to make top 6 is a fail

Some grief I got.

Hearts will attract plenty interest from good pedigree.

Perhaps if Levein leaves you could add 6 months to the above .

To sort the mess out.

But for me this should be how future coaching teams are judged.

Quite right you got grief. How often in our history have we finished top 4 in two out of 3 seasons plus two cup finals? You're right that failure to get into top 6 is a fail and we almost ever do that. It was genuinely shocking when we were 7th or 8th under Romanov.

The targets for every Hearts manager will be Europe, which is top 3 these days, and a decent cup run or two. It's not as black and white as that though. They will also be expected to bring youngsters through and try to develop other signings to sell or improve.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, kila said:

I would be in favour of:

This is a sensible approach and very realistic. 

Does anyone know what's happened with Daly? He seems to have gone from next in line to never mentioned.

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Ian Murray would be ideal, but would he have the time to do the job considering his role in politics 😏

In what way is Ian Murray remotely qualified to run Hearts? His life before politics hardly screams CEO of a multi million pound business.

If we could keep Ann Budge in a strictly commercial role and find suitably qualified football people for the rest of the jobs I’d be happy.

Edited by Rudy T

Guest ToqueJambo
38 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's going to be so depressing when we end up with one of our current coaches as manager isn't it. 

Not if they turn out to be another Neilson. Or a Jack Ross (St Mirren version). Appointing a manager is such a lottery and it takes time to affect change and build a team. Even a club like Man Utd has been struggling with it. That's why I generally back the guy in charge as long as humanly possible or until it's just not possible to do that. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is a sensible approach and very realistic. 

Does anyone know what's happened with Daly? He seems to have gone from next in line to never mentioned.

Because believe it or not somebody at the club has seen he is sh*te coach. 

The foundations have been laid and we have actually assembled a very decent squad. We need a manager/coach who can get a tune out of it and an identity to our play. We also need a DoF with a bit of vision and a fresh idea as to how to improve the first team. Everything else away from the pitch is perfect, we now need that focus and performance on the park. 

Moyes DoF. Neville, Keane, Robinson, Wagner.....people of that mould approached to be manager. That’s what I’d like. 

I think we'll be fine and things will play out as they should.

Really not worried in the slightest as we'll be decent again soon enough, one way or another. 

I also think losing your mind over a game of Football is lunatic behaviour and really rather sad if I'm honest.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That is the model. One Ann seems to see as a great achievement of CL to put in place.

Getintaethem

We need to aim higher in my opinion.  The infrastructure of the club is in place, despite criticism for parts of her tenure there is no doubt that the club is in better financial health than its ever been.  The increased capacity and extended hospitality suites mean that we can generate more cash than ever before, and the financial backing from the fans continues to boost the coffers at the club.

We need to put some of that money to attracting a top coach who will change the whole footballing ethos of the club.  European qualification should be the minimum requirement each season, reaching the Europa league group stages is the next step in closing the gap on the Glasgow clubs and creating a gap between ourselves and other Scottish clubs.  Reaching the groups would generate another £3-6m a season.

We are massively underachieving at the moment.  We're wasting the increased resources that we have.  The manager/coach/DOF role (whatever you want to call it) is the most important position at the club, we need to put serious money into getting the right man into that post.  A successful team would see Tynecastle packed to capacity.

19 minutes ago, Innocent Eggboniki said:

Just keep defending him there’s a good Chap

I'm on your side here.  In fact, I've just been watching Ever Decreasing Circles and he's reminding me of Martin Bryce.  In control of everything.  

I wonder if he has separate email addresses for his different roles and frequently messages himself.  Does he have 3 phones on his desk or 3 cellys with different numbers.  Does he ring himself.  Does he have meetings with himself.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

I think we'll be fine and things will play out as they should.

Really not worried in the slightest as we'll be decent again soon enough, one way or another. 

I also think losing your mind over a game of Football is lunatic behaviour and really rather sad if I'm honest.

I think anyone who doesn't lose their mind from time to time (whether in a good way or bad) doesn't know what it means to be a football fan. Rather sad for them IMO.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I think anyone who doesn't lose their mind from time to time (whether in a good way or bad) doesn't know what it means to be a football fan. Rather sad for them IMO.

Noah is best ignored, trolling is all they do.

Haringshairband
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

:spoton:Part of the fun in being a football fan is the passion.

Edited by Haringshairband

4 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

:spoton:Part of the fun in being a football fan is the passion.

I agree with that. 

The passion is best shown at the game though, I'm easily heard at matches, I'm the one encouraging the players.

Stick out like a sore thumb so I do.

9 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Noah is best ignored, trolling is all they do.

Stop trolling me please 1874robbo.

It's pointless, I wont change my point of view just because you and the gang don't like it.

1 hour ago, kila said:

I would be in favour of:

I would settle for that.

I don't think Mrs Budge will want to stay on after her loan is paid back.

The pond life who have abused her have seen to that.

36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Quite right you got grief. How often in our history have we finished top 4 in two out of 3 seasons plus two cup finals? You're right that failure to get into top 6 is a fail and we almost ever do that. It was genuinely shocking when we were 7th or 8th under Romanov.

The targets for every Hearts manager will be Europe, which is top 3 these days, and a decent cup run or two. It's not as black and white as that though. They will also be expected to bring youngsters through and try to develop other signings to sell or improve.

This period where we have less financial issues should be about consistency and trying to be a consistent top 4 team every season. We haven’t even managed to get into the top 4 once under Levein and it now looks like we will struggle to be in the top half. It beggars belief he is allowed to continue to take us back the way.