Armed Forces Day.

maroonlegions

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

That’s it really. Nothing wrong with paying respect to all manner of service people and organisations if it’s done in the right way.

The poster who says it’ll be the highlight of his day is maybe forgetting we’re there for a football match.

You have watched Hearts recently? Sometimes the final whistle is the highlight of the day. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YouLetYourClubDie

• Thomaso

• FruitJuice

• jumpship

Big Slim Stylee
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

You have watched Hearts recently? Sometimes the final whistle is the highlight of the day. 

😀

YouLetYourClubDie

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Armed Forces Day was not created by Rangers Football  Club ! 

It was created by the UK Government for political reasons at a time when paciffism was very high (Iraq War). I would rather we were teaching young impressionable fans to not volunteer to be cannon fodder for the government of the day than encouraging them to join. 

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

I would prefer we steered clear of this, football should be about football and nothing else. The club is quick enough to state similar when it suits them.

I wholeheartedly agree. The armed forces will be giving it the big one though because they are finding the recruitment of young people extremely difficult right now and people are leaving in droves.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

It was created by the UK Government for political reasons at a time when paciffism was very high (Iraq War). I would rather we were teaching young impressionable fans to not volunteer to be cannon fodder for the government of the day than encouraging them to join. 

What a load of tosh. Eleven. Years Royal Navy aged 16-27. Best years of my life. That included the Falklands war.

Did'nt realise it was a recruitment drive by the Armed Forces. It seems a harmless event to me with a chance for kids (and adults) to speak to and hear from Army, Navy and RAF personnel. I would of loved this growing up.

highlandjambo3

I spent 25 years in the Army.  Done many things that would make your hair curl.  Also did many humanitarian things all over the world but don’t ever recall the cannon fodder thing..... care to elaborate?

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I would prefer we steered clear of this, football should be about football and nothing else. The club is quick enough to state similar when it suits them.

This is a very good point.  The club can't have things like this and then moan if some fans go a bit jingoistic waving certain flags at games.  I'd rather keep politics and religion out of it altogether.  

I'm not against supporting servicemen, but this is too political for the football.  

The club are leaving themselves down to accusations of hypocrisy with events like this.  

fabienleclerq
7 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

This is a very good point.  The club can't have things like this and then moan if some fans go a bit jingoistic waving certain flags at games.  I'd rather keep politics and religion out of it altogether.  

I'm not against supporting servicemen, but this is too political for the football.  

The club are leaving themselves down to accusations of hypocrisy with events like this.  

I don't think it's hypocrisy criticising bigots and supporting the people who keep us safe. 

18 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I often stop and read the names out loud.

Boys, most of them. Each one a mother's son. Heartbreaking.

Don't think I've ever left the memorial up by Spean Bridge with a dry eye.

image.thumb.png.62f7361c653824566c43ca20e265df6d.png

I wish there was no such thing as war, and no need for armed forces.

Great post and great photo, GT

Proud to say my brother in law will be playing in the lowland band in the plaza. A great part of famous clubs history. HHGH.

2 hours ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

That's some username you have, who are you referring too ? 

It's not all about recruitment into the Armed Forces though, originally it was all to do with support and remembrance for the veterans and probably still is but now with a wider view on the British Armed Defences.

38 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

No one is talking about politics or religion FFS ! 

Armed/Veterans Forces Day... Showing support and respect to the lads and Lassies who have/are served/serving their Country. 

August Landmesser
5 hours ago, Taffin said:

I agree. I made my feelings fairly clear last year on this caper, and won't repeat them here, save to say I understand some aspects of the day - acknowledging service/sacrifice etc. - but am uneasy with the establishment of recruiting stalls on the plaza and the politicisation of the club (like it or not, support & promotion of armed forces - whether they be UK, French, US or Timbuktuan - is a political stance).

I would like to see a similar fire brigade/ambulance/RNLI/coastguard day, and why not acknowledge nurses/paramedics etc? There are thousands of heroes in civilian life who go unacknowledged.

35 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I agree. I made my feelings fairly clear last year on this caper, and won't repeat them here, save to say I understand some aspects of the day - acknowledging service/sacrifice etc. - but am uneasy with the establishment of recruiting stalls on the plaza and the politicisation of the club (like it or not, support & promotion of armed forces - whether they be UK, French, US or Timbuktuan - is a political stance).

I would like to see a similar fire brigade/ambulance/RNLI/coastguard day, and why not acknowledge nurses/paramedics etc? There are thousands of heroes in civilian life who go unacknowledged.

I'd be more comfortable with a charities/services day than an armed forces day.  

I think it's important that we have armed forces day other countries are proud of their forces ,why shouldn't the UK be proud of our brave young men and women who protect our country.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

I agree wholeheartedly with you especially the final paragraph. 

The UK seems to be obsessed with military parades and remembrances these days.

It's odd because in the immediate post war years 50s / 60 s all we had was the Armistice day remembrance but now

there seems to be military events of one kind or another more frequently. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't remember but constantly banging the drum devalues the meaning. 

If the armed forces are needing 'help for heroes' it should be the people in Westminster who should be paying for it .Its their responsibility imo.

7 hours ago, The Shed Floodlight said:

stop being bigoted. it is not Sevcoesque at all as it is part of our history, plus loads of clubs thru Britain do this sort of thing.  It reflects well that society are thinking of the Armed forces and the great job they do on a daily basis.

I'm no bigot. I gave an opinion on a forum and that's what they're for. Don't have to agree with me. 

sidjamesbottle
10 hours ago, fila said:

Supporting our troops , well done Hearts . Anyone who gets their knickers wet over this, needs to have a word with themselves 

agree totally mate well said

rambothejambo

Once again on JKB the thread hijackers are out in force. Armed Forces Day has never been political, those that think so have a different agenda. The history of our famous club should be crystal clear for all to see, it was all about personal sacrifice, bravery and standing up to what is wrong, traits that seem to have disappeared in modern society. Like quite a few on here I served (willingly and knowingly) and absolutely loved it, the camaraderie, friendship and banter will never be bettered in "civvie street". This is an opportunity to show our support, pride and respect to those that have served, and still serve.

Just now, rambothejambo said:

Once again on JKB the thread hijackers are out in force. Armed Forces Day has never been political, those that think so have a different agenda. The history of our famous club should be crystal clear for all to see, it was all about personal sacrifice, bravery and standing up to what is wrong, traits that seem to have disappeared in modern society. Like quite a few on here I served (willingly and knowingly) and absolutely loved it, the camaraderie, friendship and banter will never be bettered in "civvie street". This is an opportunity to show our support, pride and respect to those that have served, and still serve.

Spot on.

Without people like those in the armed forces people who are on here criticising would not be able to live in a society that allows them to do so

Some should think on that

I'm happy to have other days recognising NHS staff etc but this is not a political day, it is a recognition day

YouLetYourClubDie
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

What a load of tosh. Eleven. Years Royal Navy aged 16-27. Best years of my life. That included the Falklands war.

Fair enough. Still no idea why it is being promoted at Tynecastle as we are meant to be open to all. 

YouLetYourClubDie
4 hours ago, damo said:

Did'nt realise it was a recruitment drive by the Armed Forces. It seems a harmless event to me with a chance for kids (and adults) to speak to and hear from Army, Navy and RAF personnel. I would of loved this growing up.

I would have no problem if we had a Career Fair and promoted all sorts of careers including the Armed Forces. I just don't see why we we are aligning ourselves to a political event. 

YouLetYourClubDie
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I spent 25 years in the Army.  Done many things that would make your hair curl.  Also did many humanitarian things all over the world but don’t ever recall the cannon fodder thing..... care to elaborate?

Well done on the humantarian stuff and I have total respect for people who sacrifice family time etc to do a job like the Army. The point I was making is that people should be made aware that joining the army can result in you being killed for reasons other than defending your country if we get another crackpot Prime Minister like Blair. I never see any mention of this in recruitment adverts and I don't think a football club should be promoting a career in a profession which has this risk.

Forever Hearts
19 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Fair enough. Still no idea why it is being promoted at Tynecastle as we are meant to be open to all.

What do you mean by that?

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Struggling to see where you have answered any of the points made 

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Well done on the humantarian stuff and I have total respect for people who sacrifice family time etc to do a job like the Army. The point I was making is that people should be made aware that joining the army can result in you being killed for reasons other than defending your country if we get another crackpot Prime Minister like Blair. I never see any mention of this in recruitment adverts and I don't think a football club should be promoting a career in a profession which has this risk.

I think if you were not aware that joining the Army could get you killed, there is a fair chance you would not pass their selection ( I did also spend some time on the recruitment and selection process).

6 hours ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

For those not willing to stand behind our soldiers that protect our freedom, feel free to stand in front of them.

44 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Without people like those in the armed forces people who are on here criticising would not be able to live in a society that allows them to do so

Some should think on that

I'm happy to have other days recognising NHS staff etc but this is not a political day, it is a recognition day

Yip.  But your post will be ignored by particular posters who will want to keep on driving their own, blinkered point and who seem to be on a different planet.

Britain is full of them now.  

YouLetYourClubDie
9 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

What do you mean by that?

Pacifists and those who oppose war have a lot of legtimiate concerns regarding the motives of the Government in inventing this day and the promotion of it. Hearts should be steering well clear of it as it is not like Rememberance Day where it is entirely non-political. Are ourselves and Rangers the only clubs in Scotland who mark it?

YouLetYourClubDie
15 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

For those not willing to stand behind our soldiers that protect our freedom, feel free to stand in front of them.

I don't think Hearts should be getting involved in a day created by the UK Government to try and change public attitudes to wars. If there was a campaign to get soldiers better pay then sign me up. Still don't think Hearts should be promoting it though as we are meant to be non-political.

Forever Hearts
20 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Pacifists and those who oppose war have a lot of legtimiate concerns regarding the motives of the Government in inventing this day and the promotion of it. Hearts should be steering well clear of it as it is not like Rememberance Day where it is entirely non-political. Are ourselves and Rangers the only clubs in Scotland who mark it?

Well the pacifists can stay away for one day. Not that I think for one second there will be Hearts fans so opposed to war that Armed Forces Day will stop them attending Tynecastle on Saturday. Fans aren't being asked to dress as Action Man or anything like that and I think you are massively overreacting. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

2 hours ago, rambothejambo said:

Is that not what remembrance day is for in November?

These days feel like an army recruitment drive, and saying as such doesn’t mean anyone respects the choice and dangers that people in the army face any less than you.

coatbridgejambo
On 02/10/2019 at 18:38, Forever Hearts said:

Good to see us continuing to support our armed forces. It reflects well on the club. 

this

rambothejambo
25 minutes ago, Texia said:

These days feel like an army recruitment drive, and saying as such doesn’t mean anyone respects the choice and dangers that people in the army face any less than you.

Remembrance (to me anyway) is to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice, Armed Forces Day is more of a thank you and acknowledgement of those who are serving/have served. I certainly have never seen or thought of it as a recruitment campaign.

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Well the pacifists can stay away for one day. 

I'm a pacifist and happy to admit to it, but the world is a nest of ****ing vipers, and as such I'll be forever grateful to those folk - far braver than I - that have and will put themselves on the line so that I may continue to ponce around in the relative safety of my 21st century bubble.

Some real knobs on here, we as a club are doing a great thing by recognising the armed forces and thanking them for their service. Why do pepole think it has a religious motive or some other meaning?  Look at the USA virtually every sports team has a vetrans day or armed forces day. They fly flags in every street because they believe in their country and are proud of it. Us we just nit pick and argue. Probably a Scottish thing.

The White Cockade
4 minutes ago, poultry said:

Some real knobs on here, we as a club are doing a great thing by recognising the armed forces and thanking them for their service. Why do pepole think it has a religious motive or some other meaning?  Look at the USA virtually every sports team has a vetrans day or armed forces day. They fly flags in every street because they believe in their country and are proud of it. Us we just nit pick and argue. Probably a Scottish thing.

don't think anybody has suggested that?

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, rambothejambo said:

Certainly that was true of the second world war, but not of the Great war, or the Korean war, or of the Iraq wars, or of just about any war of Empire over the last 300 years. These were wars in defence, or expansion of, the greed which promoted the wealth of a few but which sacrificed our youth in the name of our Empire and sometimes the USA's Empire. 

What are you on about ? We are a club open to all.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, rambothejambo said:

Remembrance (to me anyway) is to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Remembrance to me is to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and those who went home broken, or to homes that no longer existed in a world they no longer recognised.

It is also to remember all those of all nations and creeds, friend or foe, who were swept up by the historical process and pitted against their brothers and sisters from other lands on the ideological whims of egotistical megalomaniacs.

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns.

44 minutes ago, Texia said:

Perhaps to you it does to most of us it does not

Veterans Day/Armed Forces Day is not political. Stop making it political.

John Findlay

Open to all except the armed services. You do realise that Christians, Jews, Muslims and other religions serve in the services. British armed forces recruit worldwide. 

47 minutes ago, poultry said:

Oh excellent point, let's be more like the US...

Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, dannymack said:

That's some username you have, who are you referring too ? 

TCFKAR, I'd guess. 😊👍

Forever Hearts
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Oh excellent point, let's be more like the US...

Or we could hate our own country. Tricky one. 

19 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Or we could hate our own country. Tricky one. 

I wasn't aware they were only two options. Love America or hate the UK? In that case get the BBQs out for the pre match grill and hand me a star spangled banner.

Not being in favour of a football team having an armed forces day doesn't mean you hate your country.