Armed Forces Day.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Seems we are having one on Saturday against Killie.

This Saturday’s Ladbrokes Premiership match against Kilmarnock will see the club host its second annual Armed Forces Day at Tynecastle Park.

In line with the club’s ethos of working closely with individuals and organisations in the community, Heart of Midlothian last year committed to supporting the Armed Forces Community by signing the Armed Forces Covenant.

Upon signing the Armed Forces Covenant, the club committed to a range of pledges, one of which is to designate one home fixture per season as Armed Forces Day.

The club has provided 300 complimentary match tickets for Saturday’s game to serving personnel from all three of the Armed Forces Services. Personnel will also be manning a range of stalls and activities on the Foundation Plaza from 1pm onwards on the day and the club would like to invite supporters to stop by on their way into the ground. The Lowland Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland will also perform on the Plaza pre-match before taking to the Tynecastle turf for a half-time performance.

Finally, the teams will be accompanied on to the pitch by several young cadet mascots.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YouLetYourClubDie

• Thomaso

• FruitJuice

• jumpship

I love the history of our club and what our team did in WW1. I have a poppy badge I wear to work everyday. Not overly keen on this sort of thing though, it's a little Sevcoesque for me. I do appreciate the armed forces but not the political element or jingoism. 

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Good to see us continuing to support our armed forces. It reflects well on the club. 

👍

upgotheheads

A suitable commemoration of the Hearts team who sacrificed so much in the Great War.    

Edited by upgotheheads

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I love the history of our club and what our team did in WW1. I have a poppy badge I wear to work everyday. Not overly keen on this sort of thing though, it's a little Sevcoesque for me. I do appreciate the armed forces but not the political element or jingoism. 

Correct.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, upgotheheads said:

A suitable commemoration of the Hearts team who sacrificed so much in the Great War.    

The correct take 

Governor Tarkin

It's divisive this, but I really wish that it wasn't.

The armed forces have been an integral part of the fabric of many of our communities around the Lothians and Fife for generations.

There will be a minority who co-opt this type of thing to expound their political agenda, but I'd hope that as grown-ups we can see beyond that.

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The armed forces have been an integral part of the fabric of many of our communities around the Lothians and Fife for generations.

There will be a minority who co-opt this type of thing to expound their political agenda, but I'd hope that as grown-ups we can see beyond that.

Agreed. Events like this make us think deeply.

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Bang on.

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I will be at Tynecastle on Saturday. 

Sexton Hardcastle

The usual mob will hijack it sadly much like rangers do with their forces day.

Utterly pathetic given the background and history. 

11 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Utterly pathetic given the background and history. 

That's the issue. It dilutes our history a little. IMO. I've no time for the jingoistic, "help for heroes" stuff. I support our armed forces, just don't want the BoJo type element of it. We've had our Scots regiments for centuries now it's one. Whenever I'm in a town in the Highlands I always pay my respects to memorials. Brave men from wee places, real heroes. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Clerry Jambo said:

aaaaah so that's why a good number of seats were greyed out in Section H

300 i think.

I will be doing my usual  shaking of hands to  squaddies  i meet  in the plaza after a few beers in the Tynie Arms.. before i enter the ground in our glorious new stand.

FTH.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Whenever I'm in a town in the Highlands I always pay my respects to memorials. Brave men from wee places, real heroes. 

I often stop and read the names out loud.

Boys, most of them. Each one a mother's son. Heartbreaking.

Don't think I've ever left the memorial up by Spean Bridge with a dry eye.

image.thumb.png.62f7361c653824566c43ca20e265df6d.png

I wish there was no such thing as war, and no need for armed forces.

No issue with it. Good way to raise money for a good cause. I assume the money raised goes to helping those who have suffered serious injury whilst on duty etc. ?

51 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I often stop and read the names out loud.

Boys, most of them. Each one a mother's son. Heartbreaking.

Don't think I've ever left the memorial up by Spean Bridge with a dry eye.

image.thumb.png.62f7361c653824566c43ca20e265df6d.png

I wish there was no such thing as war, and no need for armed forces.

Good post. It really hits home when you see these memorials. Different times now, there should never be any wars. 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

That's the issue. It dilutes our history a little. IMO. I've no time for the jingoistic, "help for heroes" stuff. I support our armed forces, just don't want the BoJo type element of it. We've had our Scots regiments for centuries now it's one. Whenever I'm in a town in the Highlands I always pay my respects to memorials. Brave men from wee places, real heroes. 

You have the midas touch 

Really genuine kind respectful post

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Not for me but can see why the club do it. 

I agree with you . Hopefully we never repeat this kind of event again when the Hun are in town . Think it happened at least twice and ended up a complete embarrassment for all concerned

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Tbf to the usual mob, I doubt that's possible. Whether you believe this type of thing has a place in football, our club does attempt to make it as dignified as possible. Rangers (Old and New) have never even pretended to.

5 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Deary me 

FB_IMG_1495870969196.jpg

11 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Agreed, I am happy that Killie are the visitors. More often than not we seem to be playing Newco in this fixture, and we see half a dozen soldiers come on to the pitch at half time, one wearing a  Hearts scarf and the reat wearing a Sevco scares heading towards the Roseburn. Their fans lapping it up. Just doesn't sit right. 

Supporting our troops , well done Hearts . Anyone who gets their knickers wet over this, needs to have a word with themselves 

Do see the problem. Fine young Men and Women doing their jobs. Unlike their Bosses.

Edited by ri Alban

The Treasurer

While I support this and our armed forces in general I can see why some people are uncomfortable with it.

It could be seen as blurring the line when it comes to (rightly) distancing our club  from politics etc.

We_are_the_Hearts

This thread is everything that is wrong with the modern PC gone daft offended by anything society we live in. And Scotland is one of the worst now. Ancestors will be turning in their graves at how petty it has become.

5 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

This thread is everything that is wrong with the modern PC gone daft offended by anything society we live in. And Scotland is one of the worst now. Ancestors will be turning in their graves at how petty it has become.

Don't see the problem. I will always show my appreciation to the Armed Forces and will continue to do so, for the same Men and Women post independence. I don't need a UK or Saltire to celebrate this brave people.

We_are_the_Hearts
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't see the problem. I will always show my appreciation to the Armed Forces and will continue to do so, for the same Men and Women post independence. I don't need a UK or Saltire to celebrate this brave people.

This has nothing to do with Politics. The army are a big part of our history, club and country. 

12 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

This has nothing to do with Politics. *The army are a big part of our history, club and country. 

*It is.

Edited by ri Alban

The Shed Floodlight
14 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

stop being bigoted. it is not Sevcoesque at all as it is part of our history, plus loads of clubs thru Britain do this sort of thing.  It reflects well that society are thinking of the Armed forces and the great job they do on a daily basis.

Forever Hearts
14 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It doesn't dilute our history at all. Utter nonsense. 

I would prefer we steered clear of this, football should be about football and nothing else. The club is quick enough to state similar when it suits them.

fabienleclerq
47 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I would prefer we steered clear of this, football should be about football and nothing else. The club is quick enough to state similar when it suits them.

I suppose the problem is you can't only have things you agree with and then say football should be about football and nothing else. 

Save the children or food banks etc. 

40 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I suppose the problem is you can't only have things you agree with and then say football should be about football and nothing else. 

I agree.

Big Slim Stylee
45 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

That’s it really. Nothing wrong with paying respect to all manner of service people and organisations if it’s done in the right way.

The poster who says it’ll be the highlight of his day is maybe forgetting we’re there for a football match.