Armed Forces Day.

maroonlegions

rambothejambo
17 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Army....infantry......warrant officer......8 medals......all the brutal stuff on the tv.  Is that enough?

More than enough, only managed to get three stripes up in the Corps, never managed to get anyone to call me Sir!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YouLetYourClubDie

• Thomaso

• FruitJuice

• jumpship

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, rambothejambo said:

More than enough, only managed to get three stripes up in the Corps, never managed to get anyone to call me Sir!

I’m sure I was also called many other things 😞 as well

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, jumpship said:

None of them, but the public keep voting form them. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Nice one.

So all we need to do is stop electing governments and our veterans will somehow be well looked after.

I wish I'd known the solution was so easy.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Army....infantry......warrant officer......8 medals......all the brutal stuff on the tv.  Is that enough?

I salute you (metaphorically of course). its often been said that the senior NCO's of the British armed forces are its backbone, compensating for the incompetence of its Senior commanders and the over-enthusiasm of its usually public-school educated junior officers,  this, so I understand, was particularly true in the Great War.

6 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

History is sometimes surprisingly simple to understand if viewed from the perspective of centuries, and sometimes very difficult to understand when you delve into the detail.

I am always prepared to honour the individual, and do so frequently. Too much of what we have seen recently though (and I include Armed Forces Day) is a fetishizing of the armed forces. Reading your last paragraph, and viewing it from the perspective of centuries of British Imperialism, do you detect any irony or contradiction?

The way I view it, imperialism was an inevitable stage of early European exploration when international law was non existent and civilisations were in very different stages of development.

As European empires are long gone, I don't see any contradiction in welcoming their passing  and supporting the work of today's armed forces in defending our interests and protecting our communities.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nice one.

So all we need to do is stop electing governments and our veterans will somehow be well looked after.

I wish I'd known the solution was so easy.

Or, we could stop electing labour or tories who are utterly useless.  

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

Well aye we could, but I'm yet to see any evidence in terms of policy outlines that show that any of the other parties would treat our veterans any better.

Apart from the Greens, obviously, who'd probably disband the armed services altogether.

I'd vote for that if it were realistically possible. 👍

On 03/10/2019 at 19:13, YouLetYourClubDie said:

I don't think Hearts should be getting involved in a day created by the UK Government to try and change public attitudes to wars. If there was a campaign to get soldiers better pay then sign me up. Still don't think Hearts should be promoting it though as we are meant to be non-political.

Honouring the men and women who protect my freedom - and yours! - will not change any bodies attitude to the horror of wars!!  Tell me how you come up with that dross??

1 hour ago, jumpship said:

And elect who exactly????

4 hours ago, jumpship said:

None of them, but the public keep voting for them. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Credited to the acclaimed genius and pacifist Albert Einstein who also said "That a man can take pleasure in marching in formation to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him" He has only been given his big brain by mistake; a backbone was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. 

I doubt if he would have been attending Armed Forces Day.

Edited by JohnB

YouLetYourClubDie
21 hours ago, CJGJ said:

What a load of rubbish,,stop us from attracting fans ?..nonsense

Sometimes you wonder what world the odd poster lives in

Do you think the players we employ who the British Army have committed horrific atrocities in their home countries will be happy with this festival? 

YouLetYourClubDie
14 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I don't think that the main aim of this is a recruitment drive.

If a few people feel compelled to sign up on the back of this I suspect they were probably thinking about joining anyway

I think it is designed to promote joining the British Army among Hearts fans which I totally oppose.

YouLetYourClubDie
10 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

A tiny minority don't appreciate the Armed Forces. The rest of us do. 

A minority appreciate that the British Army have been responsible for oppresing millions of people across the world and will oppose this no matter the opinion of Hearts in condoning it.

5 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

I think it is designed to promote joining the British Army among Hearts fans which I totally oppose.

What about the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force . Do you also oppose them?

Go

32 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Credited to the acclaimed genius and pacifist Albert Einstein who also said "That a man can take pleasure in marching in formation to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him" He has only been given his big brain by mistake; a backbone was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. 

I doubt if he would have been attending Armed Forces Day.

My favourite is

The world will not be destroyed by those doing evil ,but by those who watch them without doing anything!

God bless our armed forces 

On 03/10/2019 at 10:13, OmiyaHearts said:

Not my thing but I have no problem with anyone who supports it. 

This....

YouLetYourClubDie
9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nonsense.

Not going to do anything to attract fans from foreigners to Ediburgh where the British Army have committed horrific war crimes is it?

YouLetYourClubDie
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Honouring the men and women who protect my freedom - and yours! - will not change any bodies attitude to the horror of wars!!  Tell me how you come up with that dross??

The British Army have oppressed far more peoples than they have liberated.

42 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Are there only two parties?

So what bunch of wonderful politicians do you want to vote for??? 🤔

Edited by Thomaso

1 minute ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

The reek of Hibs is undeniable,GTF back sisterfister.

YouLetYourClubDie
1 minute ago, stevie said:

The reek of Hibs is undeniable,GTF back sisterfister.

If Hearts ever want to brand themselves as a Unionist Mini Rangers club then I will be diverting my support elsewhere. Seems like this is the way we are going.

3 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Aye that Kitchener was a right *******!

Who are the soldiers we are honouring on Saturday oppressing????

Just now, YouLetYourClubDie said:

If Hearts ever want to brand themselves as a Unionist Mini Rangers club then I will be diverting my support elsewhere. Seems like this is the way we are going.

Cheerio 

5-1 

Don’t slam the door on the way out! 👋🏽

YouLetYourClubDie
Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Aye that Kitchener was a right *******!

Who are the soldiers we are honouring on Saturday oppressing????

If ypu read your history you will understand the blood thirsty nature of the Army we are meant to celebrate tomorrow. It is not in my name.

If ypu read your history you will understand the blood thirsty nature of the Army we are meant to celebrate tomorrow. It is not in my name.

Don’t talk absolute pish!!  Nobody is honouring the exploits of the British Army over the last 300 years!!!

We are honouring the young men and women as individuals who protect all our freedoms - even your chum!!!

YouLetYourClubDie
3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Don’t slam the door on the way out! 👋🏽

I think Hearts pandering to the Unionist, sectarian section of our support is misguided but it seems the direction we want to go down.

Defo in my name,I'm proud of all of them including my Grandad who was in Burma in WW2 for nearly 4 years,none as a prisoner!

Sad that some can't acknowledge the sacrifices made by so many!

1 minute ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

I think Hearts pandering to the Unionist, sectarian section of our support is misguided but it seems the direction we want to go down.

Yeh so you keep gibbering!

4 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Always in our shadows!

17 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Not going to do anything to attract fans from foreigners to Ediburgh where the British Army have committed horrific war crimes is it?

The stench of Republicanism is strong with this one!! 😷

YouLetYourClubDie
Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The stench of Republicanism is strong with this one!! 😷

From a Protestant background where both sides of my family were killed in WW2. We should be moving away from this but seems like Budge wants to bring us back to it.

8 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

From a Protestant background where both sides of my family were killed in WW2. We should be moving away from this but seems like Budge wants to bring us back to it.

Aye right ye are then.

YouLetYourClubDie

Aye right ye are then.

The reaction from our 'loyal' fans on Twitter says it all about who this it aimed it

YouLetYourClubDie
27 minutes ago, stevie said:

Cheerio 

5-1 

If I am not a Unionist then I should support Hibs is what you are saying.

YouLetYourClubDie
11 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

What about Hearts fans who are pacifists due to their religion etc, does the fact that this sort of thing goes against their beliefs not matter? 

Your opinion is irrelevant according to the majority on here.

25 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

How many of the young men invited to Tynecastle tomorrow carried out these acts of historical barbarism????

Who said they did?

Jambof3tornado
36 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Slavering pile of pish.

Your opinion is irrelevant according to the majority on here.

It's been mentioned already. If supporting the armed forces is the right thing to do, why is it only us and rangers that have these events?  I wonder if other clubs weren't asked ir weren't approached.  

Your right about the shut up and just accept it attitude on here.  

Nearly half a dozen ex servicemen take their lives every week and that doesn't come into it.  If they lost 6 soldiers in combat every week, they would be putting more resources into it.  These people are taking their lives due to combat and not as much is done about it. I'm extremely uncomfortable with our club getting involved in this due to these reasons.

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Slavering pile of pish.

Why aren't other clubs apart from us and rangers not doing this?  If other clubs were approached and said no, It would be good to know their reasons.  If it's only us and rangers who were asked it would be good to know why.

3 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Why aren't other clubs apart from us and rangers not doing this?  If other clubs were approached and said no, It would be good to know their reasons.  If it's only us and rangers who were asked it would be good to know why.

I don’t give a toss about other Clubs - I’m delighted my Club is doing it.

13 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Who said they did?

Why did you post historical barbarism of the British Army when the Club are honouring the young men and women who protect our freedom TODAY???

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I don’t give a toss about other Clubs - I’m delighted my Club is doing it.

That doesn't answer the question.  If supporting the armed forces is so worthwhile, don't you want to see other clubs supporting this? So your feelings towards other clubs is more important than promoting the forces? 

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

That doesn't answer the question.  If supporting the armed forces is so worthwhile, don't you want to see other clubs supporting this? So your feelings towards other clubs is more important than promoting the forces? 

Read my post - I have no feelings regarding other Clubs.

Read my post - I have no feelings regarding other Clubs.

If this event is so important in helping to protect the country, don't you want to see other clubs doing these events? 

I'm baffled by that.