***Official St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Let's pick up where we left off and show we can win games which aren't 'big'. We need to get right up that table.

I'll predict 2-1 to us, another scrappy but battling one. The same starting XI would do.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rick witter

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

Brighton Jambo

I think this could be really tough given the week we have had.

rangers scraped through by a single goal and Aberdeen lost there so anyone expecting a big win is well wide of the mark.

i would be delighted by a scrappy one goal win.  

tartofmidlothian
7 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

I was thinking young Hickey could do with a rest, but honestly don't know who'd replace him.

Smith or Brandon switching sides or Mulraney in a 3-5-2?

21 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

I was thinking young Hickey could do with a rest, but honestly don't know who'd replace him.

He's done better I think to manage the whole game after tiring in his first few games. 

Should be okay for Saturday. 

Arguably the toughest of this 3 game spell. We have a tendency to shoot ourself in the foot with these games.

Apply ourselves like we have this week and we win

Lord Beni of Gorgie

St Mirren are hard to break down, this is not going to be easy. In 4 matches with Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hamilton they have conceded only 2 goals. Narrow 2-1 away defeats in the other matches with Livingston and County.

Thought we looked very tired pretty early in the game last night, it can be mental as well as physical, getting in front in this game is critical.

Difficult to name a team without knowing what the last 4 days has taken out of them

Absolute Scenes
26 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Smith or Brandon switching sides or Mulraney in a 3-5-2?

I'd play Zlamal at right back instead of Brandon

that boy is wayyy under par for our team

I bought tickets while slightly intoxicated last night. Never been to this ground, are there bars round about or better going to Glasgow and heading out to the game?

Just now, HMFC86 said:

I bought tickets while slightly intoxicated last night. Never been to this ground, are there bars round about or better going to Glasgow and heading out to the game?

10/15 minutes walk from centre where there are plenty pubs.

Glasgow is a good option it coming by train. 

This game will show if we’ve turned the corner or not. It doesn’t need to be pretty but 3 points is a must to carry on our momentum.

2-0 Hearts in a hard fought game. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

10/15 minutes walk from centre where there are plenty pubs.

Glasgow is a good option it coming by train. 

Sound cheers 👍🏻

Get an early goal and we’ll be alright. I’m liking the look of us with Whelan playing us out from the back and Meshino/Mulraney and Uche causing havoc up top. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

This game will show if we’ve turned the corner or not. It doesn’t need to be pretty but 3 points is a must to carry on our momentum.

2-0 Hearts in a hard fought game. 

I don't think it does. The following game at home to Kilmarnock does though.

The 2 monumental efforts we have had this week as St Mirren have had their feet up, not making excuses, its simply a fact, they should have an awful lot of energy compared to us. It would be natural to have some difficulty this weekend, I'd happily take 4 points from the next 2 matches.

24 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

St Mirren are hard to break down, this is not going to be easy. In 4 matches with Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hamilton they have conceded only 2 goals. Narrow 2-1 away defeats in the other matches with Livingston and County.

Thought we looked very tired pretty early in the game last night, it can be mental as well as physical, getting in front in this game is critical.

Difficult to name a team without knowing what the last 4 days has taken out of them

Third game in 6 days and as you say there was some tired legs out there on Wednesday.

Could see the likes of Irvine, Morrison getting a start. If we continue with a back 3 then Hickey may well drop out.

Uche was dead on his feet but, with limited options up front, he will no doubt have to put in another hard shift.

It should’ve been 12!

Its a quick turnaround and obviously our 3rd game in 6 days but I fancy us to be right up for this on and off the pitch and to win the game 2-0, come on the Gorgie! Would cap off a really good week and continue the positive momentum! 👍

On another note, I’m hoping to watch the wee team get gubbed at lunchtime, we normally go to the bowling club pre-match but don’t think they have the footy on, anyone know anywhere close to the ground that will and welcomes away fans? 👍🍻

4 minutes ago, It should’ve been 12! said:

Its a quick turnaround and obviously our 3rd game in 6 days but I fancy us to be right up for this on and off the pitch and to win the game 2-0, come on the Gorgie! Would cap off a really good week and continue the positive momentum! 👍

On another note, I’m hoping to watch the wee team get gubbed at lunchtime, we normally go to the bowling club pre-match but don’t think they have the footy on, anyone know anywhere close to the ground that will and welcomes away fans? 👍🍻

Not really dead close to ground. No pubs right at ground. 

I recommend The Bull Inn, New Street which is a good, friendly smaller pub with loads of screens. 10/15 minutes walk.

Was my local when I lived there. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I recommend The Bull Inn, New Street which is a good, friendly smaller pub with loads of screens. 10/15 minutes walk.

Aye, they will be showing Hibs/Demons for sure. Being a hooped demons away game, there will be a few in attendance mind !

For people coming off the train at Gilmour St, try the Argyll Bar on Old Sneddon St, Glasgow Hearts boys usually go there pre-match against St Mirren or the Court Bar on St James St, St Mirren pub but ok for a pint. Don’t go into O’conner’s next to the Court though !! Hooped demon Central !!

Or some usually drink in Glasgow and train it to Paisley St James station. Right next to ground.

Info for everyone there, Mikey.

👍

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Aye, they will be showing Hibs/Demons for sure. Being a hooped demons away game, there will be a few in attendance mind !

For people coming off the train at Gilmour St, try the Argyll Bar on Old Sneddon St, Glasgow Hearts boys usually go there pre-match against St Mirren or the Court Bar on St James St, St Mirren pub but ok for a pint. Don’t go into O’conner’s next to the Court though !! Hooped demon Central !!

Or some usually drink in Glasgow and train it to Paisley St James station. Right next to ground.

👍

Cheers

All good options 

St Mirren couldn't beat 10 man Hamilton ffs. We 'should' be good enough if we go about things correctly and don't sit in looking for a draw from the start.

Some players will definitely need a rest. Mulraney can come on for Bozanic if he is struggling out wide, but can't think who else to stick there as Jake needs a bit of a rest if he was holding his hamstring last night.

Pereira

Smith     Halkett     Dikamona     Hickey

Morrison     Damour    Irving     Meshino     Bozanic

Uche

It should’ve been 12!
44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Thanks mate. 👍

It should’ve been 12!
31 minutes ago, Boab said:

👍

Nice one, seems a decent amount of options. 👍🍻

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

The type of game I'd accept long balls up to Uche and play off second balls. 

I still expect a hearts win from this one. 

0-2 Uche and here a.

We_are_the_Hearts

THIS is the game Levein could maybe start to change some minds. The Hibs and Aberdeen games take care of themselves. We have been shocking in these games for too long now. Over to you and the players Craig

been here before

Last night will sap the reserves somewhat so hopefully the players still have enough mojo left in them to pull it off.

Start with Clare on the bench. The whole shape and drive of the team changes for the better.

Single goal win I reckon

Incidently have I missed the 'desperate for tickets' thread for this game?

Will need to freshen the team but I don't know who come in that will make a difference, none of the subs did anything to deserve a starting spot. 

Tired legs lead to injuries and we know we have no luck with this. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think this could be really tough given the week we have had.

rangers scraped through by a single goal and Aberdeen lost there so anyone expecting a big win is well wide of the mark.

i would be delighted by a scrappy one goal win.  

100% this. 

Tough game. 

They've Suprised me a bit tbh

The main thing is not to give a daft goal away, do that and we can score a couple 

Scored 2 goals in each of out last 4 games now. 

Only won one in normal time tho. 

Scoring 2 should be enough v Hamilton, well, hibs, Aberdeen so if we can replicate that and not brain fart all over the place we'll be good. 

This is when we need to start winning and teams like Rc, livi, well etc level out and we climb the table. 

Be tough, tho. 

3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

I think tiredness and injury will catch up on us this weekend

Yes, I think so too. Very tough fixture given the week we’ve had. 

If we had had a full squad available then a win would be expected but we’re kind of bare bones so there’s little chance of rotation. I’d take a draw tbh. 

9 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I'd play Zlamal at right back instead of Brandon

that boy is wayyy under par for our team

This

9 hours ago, been here before said:

Last night will sap the reserves somewhat so hopefully the players still have enough mojo left in them to pull it off.

Start with Clare on the bench. The whole shape and drive of the team changes for the better.

Single goal win I reckon

Incidently have I missed the 'desperate for tickets' thread for this game?

Where were you at Aberdeen away ? Desperate for a ticket were you ?

3rd game in 6 days..midweek extra time, away match

Fitness may be an issue so I would expect a couple of changes..Irving for a start

Any away game is tough and we've struggled there recently. So far this season they have not lost by more than one goal home or away in league matches including beating Aberdeen at home and only losing 1-0 at home to Rangers.

They don't score many though

This will be a real test not about the quality of the opposition but the determination to get 3 points then earn a little rest before the Kilmarnock match which may just see the return of one or two important players. 

In normal circumstances I would be confident of 3 points but a tough week may catch up with us so a draw is more likely.

Will we go 4-4-2 ?

Very hard fought 2-0 win:

Pereira

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Hickey

Whelan

Irving

Morrison

Meshino

Mulraney

Uche

letsalldothebeattie

I’d like to see a similar start to the Aberdeen game in terms of getting on the front foot and creating a few early chances and hopefully actually taking 1. 

Team should be:

Big Joel

Smith Halkett Berra Hickey

Meshi Whelan Irving Mulraney

Uche Keena

nothing against MacLean thought his performance was excellent on Wednesday

2-0 Hearts Keena & Meshi 

Edited by letsalldothebeattie

I would say that 3 games in 6 days is not necessarily a problem.

Yes if players picked up injuries / niggles.

But I'd wager this is what players prefer. Games and light recovery/ training rather than the more rigorous midweek training. 

2 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I’d like to see a similar start to the Aberdeen game in terms of getting on the front foot and creating a few early chances and hopefully actually taking 1. 

Team should be:

Big Joel

Meshi Whelan Irving Mulraney

Uche Keena

nothing against MacLean thought his performance was excellent on Wednesday

2-0 Hearts Keena & Meshi 

Big Joel

Whelan Irving

Morrison Meshino Mulraney

Uche

Agree with playing a back 4 but I’d like to see something more like this. Meshino has such quick feet and would be useful in and around the box if they sit in.