Deposit Return

Mikey1874

This Lass chapped my door, asking if I'd consider getting my milk delivered, glass bottles, which will be collected and reused, seriously considering it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• BlueRiver

• frankblack

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, OBE said:

This Lass chapped my door, asking if I'd consider getting my milk delivered, glass bottles, which will be collected and reused, seriously considering it.

Cannae better Milk fae a glass bottle.

10 minutes ago, OBE said:

I seem to recall reading an a report years ago on the eco friendliness of glass bottles and it wasn't the slam dunk we'd all perceive it to be. Think they need to be used on average something like 18 times before they break even from an environmental perspective and they generally don't make it that far? Hopefully a JKB expert can lay out the current facts...

8 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I seem to recall reading an a report years ago on the eco friendliness of glass bottles and it wasn't the slam dunk we'd all perceive it to be. Think they need to be used on average something like 18 times before they break even from an environmental perspective and they generally don't make it that far? Hopefully a JKB expert can lay out the current facts...

We are blessed, place is awash with em!  :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

As a litter collector, my highly controversial suggestion would be to phase out all glass bottles. Broken glass is a scourge.

As a dog owner I couldn't agree more

48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The amount of rubbish at the side of the roads was one of the things which was very noticable when I was on a bus tour, until you got to the other end of the tunnel on the French side, almost no rubbish at the sides of the roads, Belgium also, then back again on the UK side, rubbish everywhere.  So yeh we're a bunch of clarty barstewards compared to our European cousins, imo.

Hmm I'm not long back from the Netherlands and to be honest a lot of the streets weren't exactly clean...

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We shouldn't need telt. A bunch of unkempt tramps. I dread to think what some folks hooses look like. Some probably chuck rubbish oot their windie.

It's a sad state of affairs how little respect and pride some folk have in their homes and areas in general. 

18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It's a sad state of affairs how little respect and pride some folk have in their homes and areas in general. 

You do get food folk trying to change it. Wee auld guy I know(retired) is always out filling bags with other ***** rubbish. I keep all my crap in my van, so I can bin it when possible.

33 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Hmm I'm not long back from the Netherlands and to be honest a lot of the streets weren't exactly clean...

Surprised to hear that.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You do get food folk trying to change it. Wee auld guy I know(retired) is always out filling bags with other ***** rubbish. I keep all my crap in my van, so I can bin it when possible.

Very true. Just wish the auld fella for example didn't have to do that because folk could do what you or I would do and just keep it till they can bin it. 

It's one of those vicious cycles too. The more of a shitehole somewhere looks, the more folk are going to treat it like a shitehole. 

(Awaits someone coming along now to tell me the broken windows theory has long been debunked and I'm peddling pish 🤣

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Surprised to hear that.

In honesty I think I was a bit surprised too. I mean maybe they've had public sector strikes lately or something too but it stood out enough for me to notice anyway. 

5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Very true. Just wish the auld fella for example didn't have to do that because folk could do what you or I would do and just keep it till they can bin it. 

It's one of those vicious cycles too. The more of a shitehole somewhere looks, the more folk are going to treat it like a shitehole. 

(Awaits someone coming along now to tell me the broken windows theory has long been debunked and I'm peddling pish 🤣

You don't have to live in a palace to use a bin.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You don't have to live in a palace to use a bin.

Nah you don't. I wish I could understand what stops folk just stuffing a wrapper in their pockets for 10 minutes till they pass one to be fair. 

I dunno about anyone else but I even feel a pang of shame if I miss a bin and the wind catches whatever I tried to put in it. Nevermind just dropping something intentionally! 

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

One way glass bottles have the highest carbon footprint of all packaging.

There is next to no reusable glass bottles in the UK. Even AG Barr stopped their scheme several years ago. The infrastructure doesn't exist currently. 

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Nah you don't. I wish I could understand what stops folk just stuffing a wrapper in their pockets for 10 minutes till they pass one to be fair. 

I dunno about anyone else but I even feel a pang of shame if I miss a bin and the wind catches whatever I tried to put in it. Nevermind just dropping something intentionally! 

I chase things down the street, if they blow out the van. :D

I sound like a real killjoy, party spoiler. 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

This is beginning to look like the next Holyrood fk up.

Lorna Slater knew the Scottish scheme required an exemption due to the UK internal market Act, but doesn't have one and hasn't even bothered applying for one but still expects businesses to sign up now?

She's so out of her depth it's scary.

Kaye Adams was talking about this today on her phone-in.  one of the callers mentioned plastic milk bottles.

Kaye checked the official list, and apparently any container for milk is NOT part of the 20p refund scheme.

Presumably  a  hygiene issue. 

One thing I hadn't realised is that somewhere in the supply chain for eligible bottled/canned drinks, an extra cost to the customer of 20p (or more !) will miraculously appear !!   Basically another excuse to raise prices.

The Sainsbury near me now has a bottle recycling cabinet just inside the door - its massive !!   No way would a wee corner shop have room for one of these. 

As someone who proudly never contributes to the throw-away litter problem  I'll just be continuing to use kerbside recycling, thank you very much.   

48 minutes ago, pablo said:

This is beginning to look like the next Holyrood fk up.

Lorna Slater knew the Scottish scheme required an exemption due to the UK internal market Act, but doesn't have one and hasn't even bothered applying for one but still expects businesses to sign up now?

She's so out of her depth it's scary.

Incredible eh?

Even the SNP must realise what a fk up she and her wee pervy overlord are.

41 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Kaye Adams was talking about this today on her phone-in.  one of the callers mentioned plastic milk bottles.

Kaye checked the official list, and apparently any container for milk is NOT part of the 20p refund scheme.

Presumably  a  hygiene issue. 

One thing I hadn't realised is that somewhere in the supply chain for eligible bottled/canned drinks, an extra cost to the customer of 20p (or more !) will miraculously appear !!   Basically another excuse to raise prices.

The Sainsbury near me now has a bottle recycling cabinet just inside the door - its massive !!   No way would a wee corner shop have room for one of these. 

As someone who proudly never contributes to the throw-away litter problem  I'll just be continuing to use kerbside recycling, thank you very much.   

Im like you and would just be happy enough to put it in my recycling and then let the bin men pick it up but downside to that now is you will get stung for more money on the things you buy if they put everything up 20p.

Also as daft as this might sound you will get people going around stealing bottles and cans from kerbside to then take back to the shop as could be worth a few ££

Edited by theshed

40 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Incredible eh?

Even the SNP must realise what a fk up she and her wee pervy overlord are.

All 3 of the leadership candidates are saying it should either be scrapped, paused or significantly altered.    None of them want it to go ahead in its current Slater-ised form.  😄 

10 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Mental how this works really well in various other countries yet we seem to be ballsing this up at every turn.

I suspect the eagerness among SNP/Greens to be seen to be different to the Westminster-proposed scheme  is playing  a part.   Hence the rush.  

There's also a strange silence about the amount of recyclable waste  that gets sent by container ship halfway round the world - and probably just gets dumped there - which suggests we don't have enough recycling capacity for the amount that gets collected by councils here.  Or maybe not enough markets for the recycled products themselves.       imo, the Greens should be  focusing on these - instead of this daft 20p thing.

35 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Mental how this works really well in various other countries yet we seem to be ballsing this up at every turn.

I suggest saving this comment of yours. A quick cut and paste and you'll be able to use it for a wide variety of topics on here! :)

Footballfirst
7 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm not sure that we are ballsing it up. I suspect that it's those with an anti SNP/Green agenda who are making most noise.

Let's wait until the UK government come up with their plan in a year or two and see if the same people agree or oppose the policy.

I've seen people in Amsterdam raking about in bins for discarded bottles to recycle them for cash. Most of the trash is left by tourists that don't know that the scheme exists and blindly pay the increased prices when they buy water or other drinks.

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm not sure that we are ballsing it up. I suspect that it's those with an anti SNP/Green agenda who are making most noise.

Let's wait until the UK government come up with their plan in a year or two and see if the same people agree or oppose the policy.

I've seen people in Amsterdam raking about in bins for discarded bottles to recycle them for cash. Most of the trash is left by tourists that don't know that the scheme exists and blindly pay the increased prices when they buy water or other drinks.

Businesses affected are making the most noise. 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Businesses affected are making the most noise. 

I can understand it from businesses that are required to provide recycling receptacles, but not from those producers who may only be required to introduce a change to their labelling.

Today's Brexit deal will see suppliers having to put "not for sale in the EU" on some of their products heading for Northern Ireland. It's not a great overhead.

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It really isn't that complicated, the same supply chain that delivers full bottles will take away empties, it's really just the user interface that needs done, and there's loads of precedent to follow.

We really love to act like the sightly novel is an impossible nightmare.

joondalupjambo

The current UK Government says wait until 2025 because they have no desire to do it sooner and are waiting to see if they win the next General election.  Typical kick the can down the road politics.  Regardless of what political party is in power, in any of the institutions across the UK I would like my leaders to lead and to lead on one of the key issues of the day and push changes through that help.  We can all easily criticise change but no change at all, when we know something has to be down just annoys folk, and hopefully folk from all sides of the fence.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

One thing I've noticed, from all the photos of fresh produce in Europe, is none of it is in plastic packaging. Its all loose. Can't we just ban plastic boxes for tomatoes, mushrooms, apples, etc? 

Bungalow Bill

Listening to Lorna Slater on BBC Scotland now talking about it, she’s having an absolute shocker. If that’s the leadership for the scheme then it’s doomed. 

Edited by Bungalow Bill

9 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Listening to Lorna Slater on BBC Scotland now talking about it, she’s having an absolute shocker. If that’s the leadership for the scheme then it’s doomed. 

She is in office despite failing to get elected by her own constituents.

In government of all things .

Will be the new health secretary under Humza pushing for new hips to be made of cardboard 

Dick Dastardly
On 10/02/2023 at 13:13, OBE said:

If it was McQueens Dairy i would be very careful. They charged me twice for deliveries i didn't receive and did the same to one of my neighbours. It took me ages to get the money back. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If it was McQueens Dairy i would be very careful. They charged me twice for deliveries i didn't receive and did the same to one of my neighbours. It took me ages to get the money back. 

:thumb: Yes, McQueens. I put my consideration to the War Office...shot down in flames in an instant...:(,thought I was doing her a favour, no more carting the stuff. I was told, groceries ain't in my remit...will be when her purse empties though!

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Been at a few games in Germany and you see the people going around with their trolleys picking up all the empty cans and bottles from the fans drinking in the street to then get themselves some money back 

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

Been at a few games in Germany and you see the people going around with their trolleys picking up all the empty cans and bottles from the fans drinking in the street to then get themselves some money back 

in i think norway their bins in parks have holders for empty bottles/cans so that those who are struggling are less likely to need to search through the bin for bottles to get the return money.

Dick Dastardly
39 minutes ago, OBE said:

:thumb: Yes, McQueens. I put my consideration to the War Office...shot down in flames in an instant...:(,thought I was doing her a favour, no more carting the stuff. I was told, groceries ain't in my remit...will be when her purse empties though!

Dodged a bullet pal! 😂 😂 

The Old Tolbooth
On 10/02/2023 at 13:52, Smithee said:

As a dog owner I couldn't agree more

I'll drink to that (out of a can :lol:), I'm fed up of picking up broken glass to protect dogs paws. 

Not read the whole thread, or indeed kept too much up to speed on this, but do the manufacturers have to change the cans / bottles....new bar codes etc?

Will it only be the new ones sold at 20p extra that will be accepted at the new machines?, or should we all start to hoard cans and bottles now ! :)

The Aldi local to us does have a machine and indeed did take them, and gave money back for cans and bottles...it then shut for a while and has now opened again but with no cash back....will take the cans etc but no cash back

Will it also be at the stores cost to get the new machines in ?

9 minutes ago, moz said:

Not read the whole thread, or indeed kept too much up to speed on this, but do the manufacturers have to change the cans / bottles....new bar codes etc?

Will it only be the new ones sold at 20p extra that will be accepted at the new machines?, or should we all start to hoard cans and bottles now ! :)

The Aldi local to us does have a machine and indeed did take them, and gave money back for cans and bottles...it then shut for a while and has now opened again but with no cash back....will take the cans etc but no cash back

Will it also be at the stores cost to get the new machines in ?

from what i have read, they need specific barcodes and for each bottle/can each company produces for the scheme they are required to pay the scheme 2 or 4p for running costs.

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, OBE said:

Funny how we are all different.  We use them and it is an excellent service.  It means no carrying heavy plastic bottles and no need to use plastic.  Had one problem with no delivery and money was refunded within 48 hours.  We have been using them for 18 months now.   My wife will try to do anything to cut down on plastic use so she is more than happy to pay that bit more for this service.  As I say guess we are all different but one of the best things we did. Oh and the milk is really good as well.

Edited by joondalupjambo

• 2 weeks later...

Westminster to block the entire scheme because "UK internal market something something"

Just throwing their weight around once again for political reasons and nothing to do with the actual scheme itself.

Maybe they should provide us a list of acceptable things which they will allow the Scottish Parliament to pass, that'd be quicker.

I expect that would be a blank piece of paper, at this stage.

In Canada bottles, cans etc have an additional tax put on them. When you return them you get the money back. Some larger supermarkets offer the choice of getting the money back or getting a discount voucher for the supermarket (which is more than you would get if you take the money). A good idea if everyone is on board with it, but think you really would need it to be adopted in the whole of the UK.  You see lots of homeless people in Canada collecting bottles, cans etc and this helps to tidy the towns and cities too.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

A UK-wide scheme is also in development but is at least three years away.

And excludes glass bottles, for some reason.

I'm sure I saw something from DEFRA saying they were excluding them as plastic is the main source of waste and littering and glass didnt really feature and is already recycled at high rates.