Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey1874

Deposit Return

Recommended Posts

Justin Z
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

Fair play - I have never ordered groceries online.  Having watched Watchdog yesterday you would see why - some appauling hygene conditions in the crates and delivery vans.

 

How do they calculate a recyclables discount on your bill?    The only reference to recycling I found with them was with carrier bags.

 

I am curious as how do they keep food and recycling in the same vehicle hygenically.

 

I mean, this was just a hypothetical on my part. I assume they'd just add values for the returnable items into their code, and if you failed to return the correct number of items they could charge you the difference. I would assume market pressures would compel stores with delivery services to offer recyclables returning, because everyone else would be doing it for a competitive advantage.

 

That Watchdog segment sounds :nooo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414
13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Boots shops in Glasgow (Sauchiehall St) and Perth have installed machines. 10p voucher to go onto Boots card. 

 

We might see some more of these to test it out. 

Tesco at Hermiston Gait has this too, just spotted it the other day. 10p a bottle and I think a max of 10 bottles a day. It's not gonna make you rich but a wee bit off your shop is never a bad thing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FinnBarr Saunders

A good one that I seen in Horst, Holland was a basketball basket (with a bottom) at the 50km signs on the way into town so that car drivers could toss can/bottles into it rather than chuck them on the verge. No idea if all Dutch towns do this or not

 

As @Gulpener is in Limburg he can maybe confirm if all towns do it

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gulpener
7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

A good one that I seen in Horst, Holland was a basketball basket (with a bottom) at the 50km signs on the way into town so that car drivers could toss can/bottles into it rather than chuck them on the verge. No idea if all Dutch towns do this or not

 

As @Gulpener is in Limburg he can maybe confirm if all towns do it

 

Not every town but certainly lots of villages have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo

I wonder how the pricing will work? I'd like to think that it's separated out. So that on Tesco's shelf, it's says the price of the Coca Cola is whatever, plus X for the return scheme. Otherwise it seems a bit unfair on Coca Cola etc.

 

In principle,  a pretty good idea if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Normthebarman
4 hours ago, pablo said:

I wonder how the pricing will work? I'd like to think that it's separated out. So that on Tesco's shelf, it's says the price of the Coca Cola is whatever, plus X for the return scheme. Otherwise it seems a bit unfair on Coca Cola etc.

 

In principle,  a pretty good idea if you ask me.

If I remember correctly from Germany, they show the full price including the deposit amount but below that, they tell you how much you get back if you return the empty. 

 

So it would be something like "Coke Can £1.30, 15p upon return". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
46 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

If I remember correctly from Germany, they show the full price including the deposit amount but below that, they tell you how much you get back if you return the empty. 

 

So it would be something like "Coke Can £1.30, 15p upon return". 

 

The thing I struggle to get here is why do we need this system introduced when we have a recycling system in place for households to dispose of cans and glass?

 

As I said earlier what is the objective other than introducing a stealth tax?

 

The only problem I can see is that the UK and Scottish governments have failed to invest in recycling facilities here and when China stopped taking our crap we were left with a problem.  We still need to invest in these facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hueyview

I have been keeping beer cans, plastic juice bottles and some spirit/ wine bottles since about January, when i heard of the Deposit scheme.  I washed each out and have about 800, however i thought the  scheme was to start next spring, but i now hear it is a year later :( 

 

They have filled my storage cupboard, and if i continue to keep all i get, at the current rate...... there will be nearly 2500, enough to totally fill my spare bedroom.........   

 

Also you buy a bottle of Diet lemonade at LIDL for 17p, and return the bottle for 20p........

I live near a Tesco, so they will be constantly stowed oot............ :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
1 hour ago, hueyview said:

I have been keeping beer cans, plastic juice bottles and some spirit/ wine bottles since about January, when i heard of the Deposit scheme.  I washed each out and have about 800, however i thought the  scheme was to start next spring, but i now hear it is a year later :( 

 

They have filled my storage cupboard, and if i continue to keep all i get, at the current rate...... there will be nearly 2500, enough to totally fill my spare bedroom.........   

 

Also you buy a bottle of Diet lemonade at LIDL for 17p, and return the bottle for 20p........

I live near a Tesco, so they will be constantly stowed oot............ :) 

 

Gonna look mighty silly if the barcodes are changed so it’s traceable. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Blue Eyes

Soda stream & home brew kit...**** em all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, hueyview said:

I have been keeping beer cans, plastic juice bottles and some spirit/ wine bottles since about January, when i heard of the Deposit scheme.  I washed each out and have about 800, however i thought the  scheme was to start next spring, but i now hear it is a year later :( 

 

They have filled my storage cupboard, and if i continue to keep all i get, at the current rate...... there will be nearly 2500, enough to totally fill my spare bedroom.........   

 

Also you buy a bottle of Diet lemonade at LIDL for 17p, and return the bottle for 20p........

I live near a Tesco, so they will be constantly stowed oot............ :) 

 

As far as I heard on Sky News when they ran a piece on this months ago, was that the barcodes will be changed so that the machine knows if a deposit has been paid or not, if a deposit hasn't been paid the machine will spit the can/bottle back out at you.

 

I think that 17p bottle of lemonade will be 37p once the scheme comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

 

The thing I struggle to get here is why do we need this system introduced when we have a recycling system in place for households to dispose of cans and glass?

 

As I said earlier what is the objective other than introducing a stealth tax?

 

The only problem I can see is that the UK and Scottish governments have failed to invest in recycling facilities here and when China stopped taking our crap we were left with a problem.  We still need to invest in these facilities.

 

It will only affect the lazy feckers who can't be bothered to return their cans or bottles, everyone else will get the deposit back, so it can't be classed as a tax if you get the money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

It will only affect the lazy feckers who can't be bothered to return their cans or bottles, everyone else will get the deposit back, so it can't be classed as a tax if you get the money back.

 

You still haven't made a case for why we need it over the existing recycling scheme, where you get your green bins/glass container emptied every other week.

 

Seems a bit of a case for change for change's sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

You still haven't made a case for why we need it over the existing recycling scheme, where you get your green bins/glass container emptied every other week.

 

Seems a bit of a case for change for change's sake.

 

General case made here

 

https://news.gov.scot/news/deposit-return-scheme

 

Detailed comments here

https://consult.gov.scot/environment-forestry/deposit-return-scheme/

 

With individual comments 

https://consult.gov.scot/environment-forestry/deposit-return-scheme/consultation/published_select_respondent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

You still haven't made a case for why we need it over the existing recycling scheme, where you get your green bins/glass container emptied every other week.

 

Seems a bit of a case for change for change's sake.

 

From the proposal:

"Research has shown that the scheme is anticipated to reduce the £46 million spent each year on litter removal and is expected to reduce emissions equivalent to taking 85,000 cars off our roads."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankblack
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

From the proposal:

"Research has shown that the scheme is anticipated to reduce the £46 million spent each year on litter removal and is expected to reduce emissions equivalent to taking 85,000 cars off our roads."

 

Close the fast food places around schools to school kids during lunch and that problem is solved.

 

The kids at Craigmount either head to McDonalds or one of the two chippys and disguard the wrappers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

 

Close the fast food places around schools to school kids during lunch and that problem is solved.

 

The kids at Craigmount either head to McDonalds or one of the two chippys and disguard the wrappers.

 

Maybe there are other options, but here's the case for this one, an option that's been proven to work in several other countries. 

I get that you're against it but I haven't heard a convincing argument against doing it yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

Maybe there are other options, but here's the case for this one, an option that's been proven to work in several other countries. 

I get that you're against it but I haven't heard a convincing argument against doing it yet.

 

The argument against this sudden, rushed, policy from a government that is gaining a reputation for failures? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

The argument against this sudden, rushed, policy from a government that is gaining a reputation for failures? 

 

 

Go for it then, sounds like you'll find it pretty easy to put a coherent, sensible argument together.

Edited by Smithee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

Maybe there are other options, but here's the case for this one, an option that's been proven to work in several other countries. 

I get that you're against it but I haven't heard a convincing argument against doing it yet.

 

 

30 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

The argument against this sudden, rushed, policy from a government that is gaining a reputation for failures? 

 

 

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

 

Go for it then, sounds like you'll find it pretty easy to put a coherent, sensible argument together.

 

Like many things from Nicola Sturgeon and The SNP over the last 12 years, this is a policy that makes the headlines at the start, and silently disappears at the end.

 

My hunch, is that Nicola Sturgeon needs political currency, in the immediate mood of Extinction Rebellion. (NS priorities might have already changed)

She called the 'Citizens Assembly' 'I have been struck recently by the Irish example of a Citizens’ Assembly to help find consensus on issues where people have sharply divided opinions.' https://www.snp.org/it-is-time-to-look-to-scotlands-future-with-confidence-in-the-potential-of-our-country-and-all-those-who-live-here/ (24/4/19)

 

A Climate Emergency ( Nicola Sturgeon declares 'climate emergency' at SNP conference https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48077802 , April 2019)

 

And this bottle return scheme from 2017, got louder ( https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/nicola-sturgeon-announces-can-and-bottle-deposit-return-scheme-1-4551671 ). 

 

My prediction is that this scheme in Scotland, won't work out as it is. It will either just not happen, OR it will happen, but at big supermarkets etc. Then disappear. 

 

In conclusion, The SNP are focused on independence, and have, Imo, completely given up on running Scotland with any sense or long term policies. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

Edited by Zlatanable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

 

 

 

Like many things from Nicola Sturgeon and The SNP over the last 12 years, this is a policy that makes the headlines at the start, and silently disappears at the end.

 

My hunch, is that Nicola Sturgeon needs political currency, in the immediate mood of Extinction Rebellion. (NS priorities might have already changed)

She called the 'Citizens Assembly' 'I have been struck recently by the Irish example of a Citizens’ Assembly to help find consensus on issues where people have sharply divided opinions.' https://www.snp.org/it-is-time-to-look-to-scotlands-future-with-confidence-in-the-potential-of-our-country-and-all-those-who-live-here/ (24/4/19)

 

A Climate Emergency ( Nicola Sturgeon declares 'climate emergency' at SNP conference https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48077802 , April 2019)

 

And this bottle return scheme from 2017, got louder ( https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/nicola-sturgeon-announces-can-and-bottle-deposit-return-scheme-1-4551671 ). 

 

My prediction is that this scheme in Scotland, won't work out as it is. It will either just not happen, OR it will happen, but at big supermarkets etc. Then disappear. 

 

In conclusion, The SNP are focused on independence, and have, Imo, completely given up on running Scotland with any sense or long term policies. 

 

Your hunch is noted, but it's not a particularly convincing argument when the scheme is proven to work in various other countries. In fact, your argument does literally seem to be "SNP bad"!

 

If she was on about it in 2017 it's not exactly coming across as sudden or rushed either by the way. 

Edited by Smithee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

 

Your hunch is noted, but it's not a particularly convincing argument when the scheme is proven to work in various other countries. In fact, your argument does literally seem to be "SNP bad"!

 

If she was on about it in 2017 it's not exactly coming across as sudden or rushed either by the way. 

Totally. You are 100% correct. 

Everything is perfect. 

 

Nicola Sturgeon is faultless. The SNP in power since 2007 has been a lesson to the universe. 

Thanks for your replies. 

Bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Totally. You are 100% correct. 

Everything is perfect. 

 

Nicola Sturgeon is faultless. The SNP in power since 2007 has been a lesson to the universe. 

Thanks for your replies. 

Bye.

 

So you don't actually have a decent argument against it, cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zlatanable
Just now, Smithee said:

 

So you don't actually have a decent argument against it, cool. 

Sorry, watching #Strictly

 

Nicola Sturgeon is perfect, so are you. You are correct to believe in your own opinion. You also, are perfect. 

Go Nicola! Go Smithee!

Cheers bye. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
Just now, Zlatanable said:

Sorry, watching #Strictly

 

Nicola Sturgeon is perfect, so are you. You are correct to believe in your own opinion. You also, are perfect. 

Go Nicola! Go Smithee!

Cheers bye. 

 

 

:spoton:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
On 20/09/2019 at 09:29, Swanny17 said:

Always used to get 10p back per glass bottle when I was wee, usually bottles of juice by Barr and Bon Accord.

 

 

Alpine too 👍🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
indianajones
On 19/09/2019 at 22:21, Mikey1874 said:

With talk of stuff the Scottish Government is doing, isn't doing, and was doing but has now scrapped.

 

What they are doing is implementing a new scheme to help the environment.

 

From April 2021 we will pay an extra 20p for every drinks bottle (glass and plastic) and can. Which we will get back when we take said bottle or can back to the shop. 

 

https://www.gov.scot/news/deposit-return-scheme-1/

 

Use it in Norway.

 

Works well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
indianajones
18 hours ago, hueyview said:

I have been keeping beer cans, plastic juice bottles and some spirit/ wine bottles since about January, when i heard of the Deposit scheme.  I washed each out and have about 800, however i thought the  scheme was to start next spring, but i now hear it is a year later :( 

 

They have filled my storage cupboard, and if i continue to keep all i get, at the current rate...... there will be nearly 2500, enough to totally fill my spare bedroom.........   

 

Also you buy a bottle of Diet lemonade at LIDL for 17p, and return the bottle for 20p........

I live near a Tesco, so they will be constantly stowed oot............ :) 

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo

It should have been rolled out UK wide. That's the only thing I can think of that might have been better. It's coming in the rest of the UK anyway, so we should have waited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
1 hour ago, pablo said:

It should have been rolled out UK wide. That's the only thing I can think of that might have been better. It's coming in the rest of the UK anyway, so we should have waited. 

that is my main criticism of it. but then i can get onto the differences between different councils and what they pick up for recycling. For example where i am in england there is no food waste and up until 18 months ago there was a garden waste, paper and glass collection nothing else. now i can add plastics and metal cans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
On 20/09/2019 at 09:29, Swanny17 said:

Always used to get 10p back per glass bottle when I was wee, usually bottles of juice by Barr and Bon Accord.

 

 

 

This. It's nothing new, so the "it won't work here" brigade are talking bollocks. At one point, the wee entrepreneur that I was, I used to go down the street ringing on doorbells and asking them if they had any empty bottles I could take off their hands - it supplemented my pocket money quite nicely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
1 hour ago, pablo said:

It should have been rolled out UK wide. That's the only thing I can think of that might have been better. It's coming in the rest of the UK anyway, so we should have waited. 

 

But be sure when ROUK does introduce it it will be innovative and should be commended, maybe even postulated as England leading the way in recycling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo
8 minutes ago, gjcc said:

 

But be sure when ROUK does introduce it it will be innovative and should be commended, maybe even postulated as England leading the way in recycling. 

 

I think it's a good idea personally. We should have just done it as the whole UK though. You don't want to unnecessarily hit anyone in the pocket for their shopping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
1 minute ago, pablo said:

 

I think it's a good idea personally. We should have just done it as the whole UK though. You don't want to unnecessarily hit anyone in the pocket for their shopping. 

 

Cutting down on litter and promoting recycling is not unnecessary in my eyes. Also, you do get the deposit back if you're responsible - it will only hit folk in the pocket if they aren't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

 

Cutting down on litter and promoting recycling is not unnecessary in my eyes. Also, you do get the deposit back if you're responsible - it will only hit folk in the pocket if they aren't.

 

 

Sorry, what I meant was by Scotland going first, you could potentially could drive up the costs of the products on sale in Scottish shops. 

 

I'm all for the scheme too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
22 minutes ago, pablo said:

 

Sorry, what I meant was by Scotland going first, you could potentially could drive up the costs of the products on sale in Scottish shops. 

 

I'm all for the scheme too. 

 

Yup, I appreciate that, pablo. There wouldn't be any "potentially" about it though - the costs of the products in Scotland would increase compared to those in England once they took account of the deposit. I don't think there would be a resultant smuggling of cheaper bottles of drinks from England though from folk who couldn't be bothered to get their deposits back. Some folk might be begrudging at first but, like most changes similar to this, after a while it would seem as if it had always been so. If we can't change folk's behaviour through education (and as a frequent litter picker  I can assure that you we've been very unsuccessful in stopping folk throwing away rubbish), we have to find other means. Personally I would combine the deposit scheme with a massive education and public awareness project to make people realise the harm they're doing in littering and also in not recycling all that can be recycled, but it's not something that I think the government appears to want to put effort into, for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

Yup, I appreciate that, pablo. There wouldn't be any "potentially" about it though - the costs of the products in Scotland would increase compared to those in England once they took account of the deposit. I don't think there would be a resultant smuggling of cheaper bottles of drinks from England though from folk who couldn't be bothered to get their deposits back. Some folk might be begrudging at first but, like most changes similar to this, after a while it would seem as if it had always been so. If we can't change folk's behaviour through education (and as a frequent litter picker  I can assure that you we've been very unsuccessful in stopping folk throwing away rubbish), we have to find other means. Personally I would combine the deposit scheme with a massive education and public awareness project to make people realise the harm they're doing in littering and also in not recycling all that can be recycled, but it's not something that I think the government appears to want to put effort into, for whatever reason.

 

I agree that this should be going hand in hand with an education and awareness project, and I can't stand litterbugs either.

 

As well as the deposit costs, there will be production costs associated to making Scottish only products, and they'll need to go somewhere too. Hopefully not the consumer. If the UK went as a whole these would be significantly reduced.

 

But on the whole I agree, it's a price worth paying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redjambo
8 minutes ago, pablo said:

 

I agree that this should be going hand in hand with an education and awareness project, and I can't stand litterbugs either.

 

As well as the deposit costs, there will be production costs associated to making Scottish only products, and they'll need to go somewhere too. Hopefully not the consumer. If the UK went as a whole these would be significantly reduced.

 

But on the whole I agree, it's a price worth paying.

 

I'm not so sure about "significantly" but that's a fair point, there will be ancillary costs regarding the implementation and organisation of the scheme.

 

In the end though, whether the scheme is run on a UK- or Scotland-wide basis, the chances are that the actual implementation will probably be on a regional or even local level, in which case the differences between these two bases may not be that great.

 

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but I collected 180 80-litre bags of rubbish from the area around my house last year (I haven't bother counting this year) and it gets me down and angry in equal measure as to how little folk care about their environment. *Anything* that will change people's habits gets my vote. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hueyview
On 21/09/2019 at 16:54, gjcc said:

 

Gonna look mighty silly if the barcodes are changed so it’s traceable. :lol: 

I heard that the major retailers with the facilities would accept any recognised bottle / can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hueyview
On 21/09/2019 at 17:19, Jambo-Jimbo said:

 

As far as I heard on Sky News when they ran a piece on this months ago, was that the barcodes will be changed so that the machine knows if a deposit has been paid or not, if a deposit hasn't been paid the machine will spit the can/bottle back out at you.

 

I think that 17p bottle of lemonade will be 37p once the scheme comes in.

I will so, have to look into this......  Another revenue stream bites the dust   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hueyview
On 22/09/2019 at 11:48, redjambo said:

 

This. It's nothing new, so the "it won't work here" brigade are talking bollocks. At one point, the wee entrepreneur that I was, I used to go down the street ringing on doorbells and asking them if they had any empty bottles I could take off their hands - it supplemented my pocket money quite nicely.

 

Yes, i was guilty of this also.........  Barrs, Bon Accord, Globe and Solripe..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874

I was even dreaming about it last night! Got some money back unexpectedly.

 

Here's some more information 

 

https://depositreturnscheme.zerowastescotland.org.uk/faqs

 

https://www.zerowastescotland.org.uk/DRS-live (Webinar)

 

And if you are really keen another Web live event to sign up for.

 

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/webinars/panellists-announced-for-the-grocers-deposit-return-scheme-webinar/597736.article

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...