David Provan

Bongo 1874

Hearts and Hibs can’t match reputation of city..it’s Butlins v Pontins in capital, says Davie Provan

COMMENT
  • Davie Provan
  • 15 Sep 2019, 8:00
  • Updated: 15 Sep 2019, 8:11

AHEAD of next week’s Edinburgh derby, brace yourself for the spin.

Grizzled veterans of the capital clash being wheeled out to talk up the game’s importance.

Levein's side head into derby in bottom spot
Levein's side head into derby in bottom spotCredit: Andy Barr - The Sun Glasgow

They’ll explain how unique this fixture is, how the eyes of the football world will be on Tynecastle next Sunday. If only.

Bottom line is Edinburgh has two football clubs who can’t match the reputation of the city.

Truth is, the capital’s big two are only playing for bragging rights.

Scottish football’s twin imposters have reduced this game to a sideshow and that is unforgiveable.

God knows how their supporters put up with this pair. When they should be slugging it out for a European place and squeezing the Old Firm every season, they settle for making up the numbers.

A glance at the record books makes you wonder why we still take the Edinburgh clubs seriously.

In the last 59 years, Hearts have won three Scottish Cups and a League Cup. In the same period Hibs landed three League Cups and a Scottish Cup.

That’s eight trophies between them from a possible 177. When it comes to under-achievement, they’re out on their own.

Listen, Aberdeen fans will disagree but Hearts are the third-biggest club in the country. They proved that after Vladimir Romanov ran Tynecastle into the ground.

How many clubs could come from administration to where they are now in five years? How many clubs could count on 8000 punters paying a slice of their salary into the club every month?

How many clubs would get £3 million towards the cost of a new stand from punters?

Heckingbottom goes into derby under-pressure from Hibs support
Heckingbottom goes into derby under-pressure from Hibs supportCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

Hearts should be the envy of most of the football world.

They have a fabulous stadium, state of the art training facility and a support to die for.

Unfortunately where it really matters, on the pitch, they are usually miles short.

They’ll never be regarded as a top club until they become serial winners. Problem is, too many of their players are comfortable with failure.

The collapse that saw them lead the table comfortably last October before finishing sixth was no surprise.

They dine out on the odd win against the Old Firm but never find the mentality to go the distance.

This week Jambos defender Craig Halkett responded to recent criticism saying: “When you are playing for Hearts, you are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the league and are expected to win most games if not them all.”

Expected to win most games? Including last season, Hearts have taken just three points from their last 33. The only thing fans have come to expect is disappointment.

If media darling Ann Budge isn’t looking at Craig Levein’s position by now, she isn’t doing her job.

Budge’s brutal sacking of Gary Locke in 2014 proved she’s no pussycat. Locke was in charge for the season Hearts faced a 15-point penalty and transfer embargo.

After a campaign that saw him forcibly blooding kids, he was rewarded with his P45.

Hearts chief Ann Budge
Hearts chief Ann BudgeCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

By contrast, Levein leads a charmed life under Budge.

When the Ian Cathro experiment bombed spectacularly, Levein emerged unscathed despite having worked the rookie coach like a drone from the main stand.

Since returning to the dugout, Levein’s record has been poorer than Cathro’s.

Unsurprisingly, the judgement of a man who put Garry Kenneth in against Zlatan Ibrahimovic for his international debut is now being questioned by fans.

At the serious football clubs, he’d have been asked to collect his coat.

Levein at least avoided confrontation with the Tynecastle faithful unlike his counterpart in Leith.

Paul Heckingbottom is still getting his feet under the table across at Easter Road but he’s doing himself no favours.

'TOUGH SITUATION' Craig Levein says he won't resign as Hearts boss as fans stage angry demo 

Taking on Hibs fans over his substitution of Scott Allan smacked of arrogance at a time he needs all the goodwill he can get.

With a new owner looking for a return on his investment, Heckingbottom needs to get Hibs into a respectable league position pronto.

Like Levein, he finds himself at a club where supporters’ patience is exhausted.

New owners, new stands and space-age training facilities mean nothing if the team can’t do it on a Saturday.

Recently, I took some stick for describing Tynecastle as football’s version of Butlins. Ahead of next weekend’s clash, I’ll stand by that.

This is Butlins versus Pontins, the holiday camp derby.

Thoughts? 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Forever Hearts

• Hectormasson

• Bazzas right boot

6 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Couldn't even get the venue right.

Apart from that which i noticed myself mate what do u think about the rest of it?. 

8 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Couldn't even get the venue right.

Perhaps that was on purpose..

But he's pretty much bang on, their is an acceptance of mediocrity, both on the pitch and amongst most in the stands.

Although, despite the lack of silverware, he could be describing every club. Dons 80s success is a distant memory. 

Don’t need a horrible sod like Provan to tell us we’re rubbish right now.

try saying something bad bout the Old Firm, Davie. You could start with the pro-terrorist, sectarian stuff. Make a difference for once ya  pathetic arse licker

10 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Locke wasn't sacked.

CL didn't control Cathro. 

Games at Easter Road.

Horrendous journalism.

The guy is genuinely a idiot i get that but if you read the article he actually gives us as a club a good name praises the fans etc he is right these players aren't worthy of our support. 

He’s spot on, for a club with our support, we are seriously underachieving.

My only glimmer of hope, compared to previous decades, is we no longer have the burden of colossal debt round our necks. 

Never going to happen with Levein though, that’s why I would move mountains to get Davie Moyes in, along with a new coaching team of his choosing.

Anyone who listens to one of Scottish Footballs biggest cheats deserves all they get

Never trusted the man, never will and all you have to do is think back to his past history with us to know he has an agenda,,,those who were there will not forget his slump to the ground in sheer agony at having has his perm disturbed by a pat on the head from Willie Johnston

He needs to appear relevant when he should have been pensioned off some time ago from Sky...oh and if you wonder why he speaks now it's no coincidence we are on Sky next week

9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Anyone who listens to one of Scottish Footballs biggest cheats deserves all they get

Never trusted the man, never will and all you have to do is think back to his past history with us to know he has an agenda,,,those who were there will not forget his slump to the ground in sheer agony at having has his perm disturbed by a pat on the head from Willie Johnston

He needs to appear relevant when he should have been pensioned off some time ago from Sky...oh and if you wonder why he speaks now it's no coincidence we are on Sky next week

What’s his Agenda against Hibs?

he slates them also.

34 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hearts and Hibs can’t match reputation of city..it’s Butlins v Pontins in capital, says Davie Provan

COMMENT
  • Davie Provan
  • 15 Sep 2019, 8:00
  • Updated: 15 Sep 2019, 8:11

AHEAD of next week’s Edinburgh derby, brace yourself for the spin.

Grizzled veterans of the capital clash being wheeled out to talk up the game’s importance.

Levein's side head into derby in bottom spot
Levein's side head into derby in bottom spotCredit: Andy Barr - The Sun Glasgow

They’ll explain how unique this fixture is, how the eyes of the football world will be on Tynecastle next Sunday. If only.

Bottom line is Edinburgh has two football clubs who can’t match the reputation of the city.

Truth is, the capital’s big two are only playing for bragging rights.

Scottish football’s twin imposters have reduced this game to a sideshow and that is unforgiveable.

God knows how their supporters put up with this pair. When they should be slugging it out for a European place and squeezing the Old Firm every season, they settle for making up the numbers.

A glance at the record books makes you wonder why we still take the Edinburgh clubs seriously.

In the last 59 years, Hearts have won three Scottish Cups and a League Cup. In the same period Hibs landed three League Cups and a Scottish Cup.

That’s eight trophies between them from a possible 177. When it comes to under-achievement, they’re out on their own.

Listen, Aberdeen fans will disagree but Hearts are the third-biggest club in the country. They proved that after Vladimir Romanov ran Tynecastle into the ground.

How many clubs could come from administration to where they are now in five years? How many clubs could count on 8000 punters paying a slice of their salary into the club every month?

How many clubs would get £3 million towards the cost of a new stand from punters?

Heckingbottom goes into derby under-pressure from Hibs support
Heckingbottom goes into derby under-pressure from Hibs supportCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

Hearts should be the envy of most of the football world.

They have a fabulous stadium, state of the art training facility and a support to die for.

Unfortunately where it really matters, on the pitch, they are usually miles short.

They’ll never be regarded as a top club until they become serial winners. Problem is, too many of their players are comfortable with failure.

The collapse that saw them lead the table comfortably last October before finishing sixth was no surprise.

They dine out on the odd win against the Old Firm but never find the mentality to go the distance.

This week Jambos defender Craig Halkett responded to recent criticism saying: “When you are playing for Hearts, you are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the league and are expected to win most games if not them all.”

Expected to win most games? Including last season, Hearts have taken just three points from their last 33. The only thing fans have come to expect is disappointment.

If media darling Ann Budge isn’t looking at Craig Levein’s position by now, she isn’t doing her job.

Budge’s brutal sacking of Gary Locke in 2014 proved she’s no pussycat. Locke was in charge for the season Hearts faced a 15-point penalty and transfer embargo.

After a campaign that saw him forcibly blooding kids, he was rewarded with his P45.

Hearts chief Ann Budge
Hearts chief Ann BudgeCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

By contrast, Levein leads a charmed life under Budge.

When the Ian Cathro experiment bombed spectacularly, Levein emerged unscathed despite having worked the rookie coach like a drone from the main stand.

Since returning to the dugout, Levein’s record has been poorer than Cathro’s.

Unsurprisingly, the judgement of a man who put Garry Kenneth in against Zlatan Ibrahimovic for his international debut is now being questioned by fans.

At the serious football clubs, he’d have been asked to collect his coat.

Levein at least avoided confrontation with the Tynecastle faithful unlike his counterpart in Leith.

Paul Heckingbottom is still getting his feet under the table across at Easter Road but he’s doing himself no favours.

'TOUGH SITUATION' Craig Levein says he won't resign as Hearts boss as fans stage angry demo 

Taking on Hibs fans over his substitution of Scott Allan smacked of arrogance at a time he needs all the goodwill he can get.

With a new owner looking for a return on his investment, Heckingbottom needs to get Hibs into a respectable league position pronto.

Like Levein, he finds himself at a club where supporters’ patience is exhausted.

New owners, new stands and space-age training facilities mean nothing if the team can’t do it on a Saturday.

Recently, I took some stick for describing Tynecastle as football’s version of Butlins. Ahead of next weekend’s clash, I’ll stand by that.

This is Butlins versus Pontins, the holiday camp derby.

Thoughts? 

His thoughts on Levein aren't exactly untrue....

Just now, 1874robbo said:

What’s his Agenda against Hibs?

he slates them also.

What's that got to do with it ?..I don't care one bit about his feelings for Hibs but he is not to be trusted, should have been pensioned off some time ago and was one of the worst cheats in Scottish Football

His opinion means nothing to me

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

What's that got to do with it ?..I don't care one bit about his feelings for Hibs but he is not to be trusted, should have been pensioned off some time ago and was one of the worst cheats in Scottish Football

I don’t like the guy either but he doesn’t say a lot wrong in that article.

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

You think Levein should remain at the club so your opinion means even less.

59 seems a curious number to choose in counting back years of non-success.

Why would he choose such a precise number, I wonder...rhetorically.

Typical arrogant weegie arsehole. Even if there were some valid points (although not many), I wouldn’t give them a second thought because of the condescending manner in which that prick delivered them. 

**** Davie Provan, and all his ilk. 

He is spot on that both clubs dont live up to the city.

And this current Hearts team gets far too easy a time  from the support.

And the club is more than a holiday camp for Levein it's a charity.

If Provan - who lacks any moral fibre considering his lack of sporting integrity on the pitch and his repeated past digs at Hearts (because he lacks the spine to have a go at The Rangers), has any suggestions as to how we can improve the appeal of Hearts in attracting the glory hunters who shuttle through west each week from across the east of Scotland, without having to get into the gutter of Irish politics, then I am all ears.

Otherwise he can ram his faux back-handed compliments and **** off. 

A few glaring errors in the article regarding Locke and The game at Tynecastle but makes some valid points.

4 trophies in over 50 years is shocking, everything to do with hearts at the moment is excellent except for the most important part, on the pitch. 

7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I personally don't like the guy either mate but is he wrong with a lot that he has said? 

Guy's a ***** and if he wants other teams to compete then he'd perhaps support substantial changes to the league, prize money etc. which don't simply entrench the OF's advantage.

To reiterate - Provan is a *****.

3 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Guy's a ***** and if he wants other teams to compete then he'd perhaps support substantial changes to the league, prize money etc. which don't simply entrench the OF's advantage.

To reiterate - Provan is a *****.

Exactly. 

...a bit disco
54 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Apart from that which i noticed myself mate what do u think about the rest of it?. 

Probably about 3 quarters nail on the head.

Pity he's a total ***** though.

As others have said, in the main he is bang on the money...we should be the envy of most, even outwith Scotland....I hate the word potential as often its used by losers who claim tomorrow will be better, but we are seriously underperforming on the park and historically should have punched our weight harder....

A_A wehatethehibs

How many of the 177 possible trophies have been bought by Rangers and Celtic? To hazard a guess I reckon Probably 130 

There’s one reason and one reason only there’s no competition in Scottish football, it’s money. It’s **** all to do with the clubs identity or nature. It’s all about money. That’s what buys you good players. Give Hearts Hibs Aberdeen Rangers Celtic Kilmarnock Motherwell, give every top division team the same money, identical budgets to spend on players, then football will be competitive again in this country 

How are people expecting a £6m wage bill should be able to compete with a £60m wage bill? That was the case in the cup final last season.

Hearts and Hibs cannot buy players anywhere near as good as Rangers and Celtic so really there is no viable contest between the clubs. That’s why a rare silverware win for any non old firm club like Hearts Hibs or Aberdeen is so legendary. Bell ends like Provan are not willing to draw attention to the real imbalance and non level playing field of Scottish football 

1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

Probably about 3 quarters nail on the head.

Pity he's a total ***** though.

I agree i don't like him either. 

Perhaps if we'd monetised bigotry, we could have been as big as the OF clubs.

****ing OF centric scum who feel they can have a go at anyone else in Scotland for their lack of success. Riles me, man.

Years of being opressed by Glasgow and its pocketed succulent lamb media and procession of ex pros.