Hickey

Beast Boy

Dalstonjambo
3 hours ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

He should be in the main squad.

You can certainly make a case for the U21 squad, given an Ayr left back who was released by Aberdeen was picked ahead of him.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• wavydavy

• Mikey1874

• Forever Hearts

Good news for Hickey however;

What is it with JKB that whenever we have something really good (Hickey), someone comes on here and shites all over it with some negative pish.

Hickey is going back to Celtic for example!

Is he aye??? :facepalm:

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Good news for Hickey however;

What is it with JKB that whenever we have something really good (Hickey), someone comes on here and shites all over it with some negative pish.

Hickey is going back to Celtic for example!

Is he aye??? :facepalm:

Shites over it with pish you say?

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Probably other bodily fluids as well...

Italian Lambretta
2 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Maybe just a wee bit early for that! Wont be too long though if he keeps it up

Going by the way scotland operate he'll be 30 before he gets on the main squad 

It does seem strange that Hickey hasn't been given a longer contract considering how good he 's looked in the 1st team.

That's assuming he would sign one. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Dalstonjambo said:

You can certainly make a case for the U21 squad, given an Ayr left back who was released by Aberdeen was picked ahead of him.

I gave up trying to understand the rationale behind how Scotland squads of any age group are picked a long time ago.

If this was England and other countries they’d be involving him with the senior squad as early as possible to learn from the older players. Imagine what someone like Hickey could learn from Robertson in one squad get together!

Edited by ToqueJambo

I don't agree with Hickey being in the Senior Squad yet. 

The boy is only 17 and he needs games. 

He's never going to get in ahead of Robertson and Tierney. 

There might be an argument for him being in the u-21's though. 

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I can shite, pish and puke all at the same time, when I was much younger mind.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Sagan said:

I don't agree with Hickey being in the Senior Squad yet. 

The boy is only 17 and he needs games. 

He's never going to get in ahead of Robertson and Tierney. 

There might be an argument for him being in the u-21's though. 

I disagree. Get them in if they're playing well for their first team. They can learn from the experience and some of the older players need to know there are youngsters champing at the bit to take their place. There's been far too many players taking their national squad places for granted recently and picking and choosing when they play for Scotland.

Should be in the u 21’s. What’s the point in playing him at that level when he strolls it at senior level. That’s Scotland for you. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I disagree. Get them in if they're playing well for their first team. They can learn from the experience and some of the older players need to know there are youngsters champing at the bit to take their place. There's been far too many players taking their national squad places for granted recently and picking and choosing when they play for Scotland.

So you want him to be in a Scotland squad where he doesn't ever play?

U-21's is where it's at for him. 

6 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Learning is important, thats not always on the pitch. Seeing how guys like Robertson, Paterson, Armstrong, McGinn, Fraser train, eat, conduct themselves all that stuff is huge for young players. 

Hickey is still a bairn pretty much with loads to learn. 

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Yeah I'd like us to fast track our standout youngsters. He is our best young LB looking at the U21 squad so should be in there instead of the U-19s but I don't see why we can't fast track the obviously very promising young players.

England did it with Rashford and some others. Wales have given several teenagers caps recently including a couple of 16 year olds. NI have done it with our won Bobby Burns. We go the other way - persisting with the likes of Mulgrew and Fletcher for far too long.

Our best two youngsters recently - Robertson and Tierney - were brilliant when they broke into their first teams but still had to wait a full season for call-ups. It's absurd someone like Ryan Fraser has only got 7 caps the level he's been playing at.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Finlay James
36 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Only Hearts player in the Scotland U19 squad.

Marc Leonard in there I see, must be doing ok at Brighton

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah I'd like us to fast track our standout youngsters. He is our best young LB looking at the U21 squad so should be in there instead of the U-19s but I don't see why we can't fast track the obviously very promising young players.

England did it with Rashford and some others. Wales have given several teenagers caps recently including a couple of 16 year olds. NI have done it with our won Bobby Burns. We go the other way - persisting with the likes of Mulgrew and Fletcher for far too long.

Our best two youngsters recently - Robertson and Tierney - were brilliant when they broke into their first teams but still had to wait a full season for call-ups. It's absurd someone like Ryan Fraser has only got 7 caps the level he's been playing at.

What you want and what would happen is 2 different things.

Let's just get the boy on a longer contract first eh. 

This Celtic rumour is upsetting me. 

4 hours ago, Sagan said:

It does seem strange that Hickey hasn't been given a longer contract considering how good he 's looked in the 1st team.

He can sign a long contract when he is 18 next summer. 

Fifa rules protect youngsters.

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Will they protect him from Celtic?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Sagan said:

What you want and what would happen is 2 different things.

Let's just get the boy on a longer contract first eh. 

This Celtic rumour is upsetting me. 

Celtic can have him at the end of this season for half what they got for Tierney plus the same sell-on clause they got for him. Seems fair.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

There's nothing stopping us from giving him a 3 year contract just now. You can't sign a contract longer than 3 years under the age of 18, but there's nothing to stop you offering a 3 year contract at 15, then another at 16, then another at 17. Personally, I don't doubt for a second that Levein is already working on a deal now. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Learning is important, thats not always on the pitch. Seeing how guys like Robertson, Paterson, Armstrong, McGinn, Fraser train, eat, conduct themselves all that stuff is huge for young players

Hickey is still a bairn pretty much with loads to learn. 

He'll see that at Tynecastle with guys like Berra, Naismith, Whelan, Washington, McLean etc.

He'll develop a lot better as a player getting game time for the U 21s than hanging around watching the senior players.

2 hours ago, RobNox said:

He'll see that at Tynecastle with guys like Berra, Naismith, Whelan, Washington, McLean etc.

He'll develop a lot better as a player getting game time for the U 21s than hanging around watching the senior players.

Imo  he won't be doing that though.  Let's wait and see.  I'll be very disappointed if he goes out on loan.

As I've pointed out before, Pele and I were banging in the goals when we were 17.

• 2 weeks later...
MarkDevriesScores4
24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is it just me or did he seem even better at RB on Saturday than LB?

Equally good which is a massive positive. The lad will be a bit gutted not to be away with the Scotland U19s but it probably for his own good. The lad has been burnt out and could do with some recovery time. He’ll most likely have a new manager to try and impress soon enough 

Thought Police
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Is it just me or did he seem even better at RB on Saturday than LB?

Well he’s two-footed so that helps. I’m actually thinking if he’s taking a pen he’ll hit it with his right so he being a better right back would make sense.

On 21/08/2019 at 20:59, Footballfirst said:

Only Hearts player in the Scotland U19 squad.

3 Rangers players. Are they the best at the age groups?

4 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

See he’s pulled out of the Scottish 19 squad. Hope to god he’s no injured

Brazilian granny I heard...

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Club probably pulled it to be safe. Maybe wouldn’t have if it had been the U21s - he’d have likely not started so great experience but low risk.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

With White clearly struggling, Souttar and Smith gubbed the Club cannae really afford to gamble on another defensive injury. Imagine he was encouraged and it pointed out that many more opportunities await if he keeps up recent form 

8 hours ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Fine with me. Dont want any chances taken with this boy. Absolute star in the making.

5 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Well he’s two-footed so that helps. I’m actually thinking if he’s taking a pen he’ll hit it with his right so he being a better right back would make sense.

Right footed penalty miss v. East Fife.

Bridge of Djoum
On 21/08/2019 at 12:38, Sagan said:

Jesus ****** H. 

He can’t sign until... oh why do I bother. 

On 21/08/2019 at 21:15, Sagan said:

Yeah get him in the squad other countries do it. Remember Michael Owen / Wayne Rooney breaking through early. Give the lad a few appearances break him in and he might just grab the nettle and kick on. But na lets wIt till he’s 30 till we give him a cap 🙈

2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Yeah get him in the squad other countries do it. Remember Michael Owen / Wayne Rooney breaking through early. Give the lad a few appearances break him in and he might just grab the nettle and kick on. But na lets wIt till he’s 30 till we give him a cap 🙈

I would not have played a 16 year old in the cup final but CL did and Hickey certainly grabbed the nettle.

Clarke could have picked him even if just to be around the squad and gain valuable experience amongst the big boys.

11 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Jesus ****** H. 

He can’t sign until... oh why do I bother. 

Why can't he sign another contract? You can't give under 18s more than a 3 year contract but what's to stop us offering him another one at this stage? He may have signed a 3 year contract last year or even the year before, but I don't see anything in the rules stating he can only sign a contract once before he's 18.

53 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Why can't he sign another contract? You can't give under 18s more than a 3 year contract but what's to stop us offering him another one at this stage? He may have signed a 3 year contract last year or even the year before, but I don't see anything in the rules stating he can only sign a contract once before he's 18.

Could be on hold for a lot of reasons.

If he plays 30 plus games this season that contract for the extra year becomes different. 

Don't see the big rush. 

The Apprentice
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I would not have played a 16 year old in the cup final but CL did and Hickey certainly grabbed the nettle.

Clarke could have picked him even if just to be around the squad and gain valuable experience amongst the big boys.

It's not uncommon for some of the younger age group players to get called in to train with the senior squad during International breaks even though they've not been officially picked. I'm sure I read at the time that this happened to the likes of Paterson and McGinn when they were with the U21's. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Could be on hold for a lot of reasons.

If he plays 30 plus games this season that contract for the extra year becomes different. 

Don't see the big rush. 

Well we don’t know when his contract runs until, it could be June 2020 so there may well be a need to get on with it.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well we don’t know when his contract runs until, it could be June 2020 so there may well be a need to get on with it.

Most importantly we don't know what Aaron Hickey wants to do. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Most importantly we don't know what Aaron Hickey wants to do. 

He rejoined us in May 2018, we stated he had signed professional terms this year. So if we gave him a three year deal at worst 2021 at worst 2022. If we gave him anything less than that we need to get him signed up ASAP, but as you say he doesn’t need to sign if he doesn’t want to. The big rush is that he could leave for peanuts.

Edited by Pasquale for King