Loic Damour signs for 4 years (subject to international clearance)

TheAntiHibee

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Mind when Joe Jordan was boss? Atmospheres were different then but the style of play was dull. There was a sense of impatience after 20 minutes. Players heckled and screamed at, tense atmosphere.

i think the current nasty atmosphere is a reaction to a couple of years of (mostly) garbage we have had to put up with and will change when things on the park improve. 

Things are  different these days, but in a lot of ways nothing has really changed.

You just described every football match ever. Nothing to do with "style of play". Do we really want to go down that Hibs route of obsessing over some sort of mythical "style". Look where it got them! All we want is winning or at least competitive football. Right now we're not getting that which is far more of a worry than style of play. Seriously if we start looking for a manager who will have us playing "good football" (which everyone has a different definition of), we'll be on a slippy slope. We need a head coach who can motivate (something I think levin has maybe lost), who can work with young players and who can have us winning far more than we can lose. That's it. Everyone will be happy. Although maybe not, as we had that very manager in Robbie Neilson.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Jambo 4 Ever

• BarneyBattles44

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Mind when Joe Jordan was boss? Atmospheres were different then but the style of play was dull. There was a sense of impatience after 20 minutes. Players heckled and screamed at, tense atmosphere.

i think the current nasty atmosphere is a reaction to a couple of years of (mostly) garbage we have had to put up with and will change when things on the park improve. 

Things are  different these days, but in a lot of ways nothing has really changed.

Jordans team certainly wasn’t heckled in season 91/92 . Winning at Parkhead and finishing 2nd (maybe 3rd)  ??? His style was far from dull.

Granted the season he got the boot he had lost the squad but he’d been let down by Mercer so lost interest. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

1 hour ago, Paulp74 said:

Ah well. You must be watching a different team to me then!  And we should have higher ambitions than being happy to comfortably make top 6!! I've heard it all now!! 😂😂

I'm sure you've heard it all...... from the voices in your head!

You were just proven to be wrong in your observations but must be too stupid to see it.

19 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

I'm sure you've heard it all...... from the voices in your head!

You were just proven to be wrong in your observations but must be too stupid to see it.

How was I proven to be wrong in my observations???

10 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Yip an impact player. He can't control or be disciplined enough for long spells though. I think we need a stronger spine. He should be fighting it out with Naismith, Meshino, Mulraney and Walker for support positions.

It's about time he started actually making an impact. I've backed him because in flashes he's shown real talent and he's got stuck in a bit more, but his overall game isn't strong enough to justify a place and he doesn't do enough impact making to make up for it. 

It's time Mr Clare started showing. 

Jambo, Goodbye
11 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Needs to toughen up. Cost us 2 goals already this season with being too weak on the ball at the edge of the box. 

Second time I've read this on here and I think it's becoming the latest JKB myth. The first goal he "cost us" was a ball he lost at the halfway line. 

The halfway line!

The second time, fair enough. 

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You just described every football match ever. Nothing to do with "style of play". Do we really want to go down that Hibs route of obsessing over some sort of mythical "style". Look where it got them! All we want is winning or at least competitive football. Right now we're not getting that which is far more of a worry than style of play. Seriously if we start looking for a manager who will have us playing "good football" (which everyone has a different definition of), we'll be on a slippy slope. We need a head coach who can motivate (something I think levin has maybe lost), who can work with young players and who can have us winning far more than we can lose. That's it. Everyone will be happy. Although maybe not, as we had that very manager in Robbie Neilson.

My post was in response to dg hmfc who was commenting on how impatient fans were.

I was really saying, although atmospheres at games are totally different  from the 80s and 90s, fans were just as impatient given the same circumstances. 

Combine poor football and poor results and the crowds will turn poisonous. 

5 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

How was I proven to be wrong in my observations???

Yeah, I didn't agree with all the OP but no idea how he was 'proven wrong'?

Let's give the guy a chance.  He's a new player in an injury ravaged side lacking in confidence.  One good team performance will give him and the squad a huge lift in confidence.

Has to come soon though.

17 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

I thought Hartley took time to get going but someone on here said that he was man of the match in his first game and he took off from there.  Can't remember who...

New signings often get given MOTM in their first home game, regardless of how they've actually played!

14 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I’d give every player a fresh slate with a new management team in. Look what Steve Clarke did with killies players, Brenda with Celtic...etc. Good coaches get more out of players so I’d give them all a pass for a few months. 

The emphasis is on good coaches.

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 10/09/2019 at 14:09, FruitJuice said:

I thought Hartley took time to get going but someone on here said that he was man of the match in his first game and he took off from there.  Can't remember who...

I am trying to remember if St Johnstone had already converted him to a midfielder or was he still regarded as a winger when he signed for us. 

I remember he was pretty underwhelming as a winger so if we played him wide early on then it is little surprise he got off to a slow start. 

The move to attacking midfielder was a masterstroke! 

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I am trying to remember if St Johnstone had already converted him to a midfielder or was he still regarded as a winger when he signed for us. 

I remember he was pretty underwhelming as a winger so if we played him wide early on then it is little surprise he got off to a slow start. 

I'm sure it's been said on here that it was Billy Stark that converted him to a midfielder after signing him from hibs.

I think he deserves credit for that but levein gets the credit for getting the best out of him.  

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I'm sure it's been said on here that it was Billy Stark that converted him to a midfielder after signing him from hibs.

I think he deserves credit for that but levein gets the credit for getting the best out of him.  

He was the engine room in the team but it was after Levein left he really peaked and he was the main reason the 05/06 season was a success, he drove others to keep up high levels of performance. 

I better thank Billy Stark through gritted teeth if he saw his best position wasn't on the wing. 

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

He was the engine room in the team but it was after Levein left he really peaked and he was the main reason the 05/06 season was a success, he drove others to keep up high levels of performance. 

I better thank Billy Stark through gritted teeth if he saw his best position wasn't on the wing. 

He probably started peaking due to getting more experienced in the role after starting out as a winger.  We got the best out of him.  Couldn't give a shite what he was like at celtic or Aberdeen. 

The good thing is that he was rubbish at hibs. 

chester copperpot
On 10/09/2019 at 08:34, i8hibsh said:

To me he has looked quite lazy and in my gut I feel that sinking sensation once again. He needed to hit the ground running and he thumped down then stumbled. I hope so much he improves

You make your mind up about a player after 15 seconds of watching him play though. 

Damour will come good

11 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

You make your mind up about a player after 15 seconds of watching him play though. 

Damour will come good

Is that before or after Clare (who I’ve thought for ages would come good)? 

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Damour will come good

I really hope so CC, we are sure due a good one!

chester copperpot
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I really hope so CC, we are sure due a good one!

Although I want Levein out, he can still sign a cracking player. The problem lies not with the player, it's with the tactics and selection.

If Levein could move upstairs and just do the job of signing and getting in players (like Celtic do) then we'd have a cracking chance of being decent.

chester copperpot
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Is that before or after Clare (who I’ve thought for ages would come good)? 

I think Clare is a cracking player. Still do. 

23 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Although I want Levein out, he can still sign a cracking player. The problem lies not with the player, it's with the tactics and selection.

If Levein could move upstairs and just do the job of signing and getting in players (like Celtic do) then we'd have a cracking chance of being decent.

Agreed, but some people are intent on getting rid of everyone and starting again. The same people will moan about the budget being cut due to paying off all the staff. I have said it before but I would like Levein to go back to DOF with Neil McCann given the job to work with McPhee & Naismith until end of season. 

1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

Agreed, but some people are intent on getting rid of everyone and starting again. The same people will moan about the budget being cut due to paying off all the staff. I have said it before but I would like Levein to go back to DOF with Neil McCann given the job to work with McPhee & Naismith until end of season. 

Wouldn’t  work in my opinion. McCann falls out with McPhee, McPhee goes whining to Levein because he still sees him as his boss.

i am not suggesting that exact scenario but a new manager should be allowed to bring in his own coaches. Not difficult to see problems if he has to work with CLs

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Wouldn’t  work in my opinion. McCann falls out with McPhee, McPhee goes whining to Levein because he still sees him as his boss.

i am not suggesting that exact scenario but a new manager should be allowed to bring in his own coaches. Not difficult to see problems if he has to work with CLs

That’s why I suggested until end of season then review. Mccann tried to play football at Dundee but failed due to lack of quality. He wouldn’t be signing players and in my opinion would have a very good squad of players to work with. He has also impressed me when I’ve heard him summarise or commentate on games on tv & radio. 

Just now, stevie1874 said:

That’s why I suggested until end of season then review. Mccann tried to play football at Dundee but failed due to lack of quality. He wouldn’t be signing players and in my opinion would have a very good squad of players to work with. He has also impressed me when I’ve heard him summarise or commentate on games on tv & radio. 

I wouldn’t be against someone like McCann on an interim basis tbh but would prefer all first team coaches and CL to leave the club completely. In saying that, anything is better than the status quo

2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Gary Neville comes across well when summarising on TV but wasn't a good manager. 

There is no way fans will accept that until the end of the season.  

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I wouldn’t be against someone like McCann on an interim basis tbh but would prefer all first team coaches and CL to leave the club completely. In saying that, anything is better than the status quo

McCann has had one job and failed.  We need someone with a lot more experience than that.  We are too big to take risks with managers who are relatively inexperienced.  Is McCann a good option because he could work with levein?  

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Gary Neville comes across well when summarising on TV but wasn't a good manager. 

There is no way fans will accept that until the end of the season.  

So you want to sack everyone and start again?

Just now, FruitJuice said:

McCann has had one job and failed.  We need someone with a lot more experience than that.  We are too big to take risks with managers who are relatively inexperienced.  Is McCann a good option because he could work with levein?  

There’s no guarantee with any manager and that includes experienced managers. Also McCann has been critical of the way we have been set up of late, so don’t really see him as a Levein yes man. 

Just now, stevie1874 said:

So you want to sack everyone and start again?

Do you think any of them deserve to stay on with what they have delivered?  

If there is no immediate improvement,  I would start again.  Apart from a nine game run, our league form hasn't been good for nearly three years.  

Where is the evidence for keeping any of them on? You can't say keep them on because it would cost too much to replace them.  It'll cost more with fans staying away.  The atmosphere around the club really needs to improve. 

4 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

There’s no guarantee with any manager and that includes experienced managers. Also McCann has been critical of the way we have been set up of late, so don’t really see him as a Levein yes man. 

I'd rather risk an experienced manager. If its McCann and levein stays as dof,  it would look like an appointment just so it's someone who can work with levein.  

What has McCann done to have earned the hearts job? Nothing!

Why isn't he working as a manager now if he is any good.  Let him prove his worth elsewhere before he gets near our managers job.  

Edited by FruitJuice

8 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

As I said in the post you quoted I’d prefer a clean sweep. I’m a realist and know that might not happen and would accept any change that removed levein from first team manager. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

As I said in the post you quoted I’d prefer a clean sweep. I’m a realist and know that might not happen and would accept any change that removed levein from first team manager. 

I wouldn't.  I want us to advertise the job and go for the best candidate. 

6 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Billy Stark converted him to central mid at St Johnstone. But he wasn't great at first, he's admitted himself it took being dropped and getting a telling from Levein to up his work rate and turn him into the dynamo we all loved.

5 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Do you think any of them deserve to stay on with what they have delivered?  

If there is no immediate improvement,  I would start again.  Apart from a nine game run, our league form hasn't been good for nearly three years.  

Where is the evidence for keeping any of them on? You can't say keep them on because it would cost too much to replace them.  It'll cost more with fans staying away.  The atmosphere around the club really needs to improve. 

I agree with most of what you say, change is needed but the way I see it is Levein has assembled a good squad it just needs someone to coach them mon-fri and set them up to play good football and the fans will come back. By what some people on here have said Daly , Fox & McPhee seem to run training through the week with Levein picking team and in dugout on a Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I wouldn't.  I want us to advertise the job and go for the best candidate. 

That would be my preferred option as well. It’s not my decision though and I’m preparing for a sort of halfway house solution. In those circumstances I would hope an attack minded influence like McCann would be better than we have now. 

Edited by GinRummy

16 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

McCann would be a lot safer an appointment than Cathro was. 

That would be my preferred option as well. It’s not my decision though and I’m preparing for a sort of halfway house solution. In those circumstances I would hope an attack minded influence like McCann would be better than we have now. 

McCann hasn't proved himself as a manager yet.  A more experienced manager would get more out of a good squad of players than someone who has never done it yet.  If the next three results aren't satisfactory and there is no change, I think we are stuck with what we have until who knows.  

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You know it'll be McPhee and Daly for quite a while right - a month at least? Or maybe Andy Kirk. We'll have to look at out of work managers (I can't think of anyone I'd be excited about) or affordable ones in lower leagues *cough* Robbo *cough*. This was always Levein's last season so I assume Budge and co have thought about a successor already.

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

McCann would be a lot safer an appointment than Cathro was. 

Just advertise the job and see what options are out there rather than just give it to McCann who hasn't done anything of of note in management. 

A few posters seem to be advocating McCann, it seems they might know something we don't.  If he gets it without advertising the job, something is seriously wrong.

Just now, FruitJuice said:

McCann hasn't proved himself as a manager yet.  A more experienced manager would get more out of a good squad of players than someone who has never done it yet.  If the next three results aren't satisfactory and there is no change, I think we are stuck with what we have until who knows.  

I disagree. The fans will force change if there isn’t an improvement soon. 

Once again I’m not advocating McCann as my ideal choice just think he’d be better than the current manager. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

You know it'll be McPhee and Daly for quite a while right - a month at least? Or maybe Andy Kirk. We'll have to look at out of work managers (I can't think of anyone I'd be excited about) or affordable ones in lower leagues *cough* Robbo *cough*. This was always Levein's last season so I assume Budge and co have thought about a successor already.

No I don’t know that. It wouldn’t surprise me though. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

I disagree. The fans will force change if there isn’t an improvement soon. 

Once again I’m not advocating McCann as my ideal choice just think he’d be better than the current manager. 

What has McCann done in management yet? He is still a managerial rookie.  

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

What has McCann done in management yet? He is still a managerial rookie.  

😂 nothing. I don’t particularly want McCann. 

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Just advertise the job and see what options are out there rather than just give it to McCann who hasn't done anything of of note in management. 

A few posters seem to be advocating McCann, it seems they might know something we don't.  If he gets it without advertising the job, something is seriously wrong.

Stop Being so radical!! Forward thinking like that will never catch on! We can just ask the guy down the corridor again! 

Guest ToqueJambo

No I don’t know that. It wouldn’t surprise me though. 

Well it will be. Unless we can call JJ when he's out shopping again! JJ as caretaker for the rest of the season would be fine by me actually.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Stop Being so radical!! Forward thinking like that will never catch on! We can just ask the guy down the corridor again! 

Its beginning to look that way.  The way some posters are talking, I'm getting a bad feeling about this.  If its McCann, even after advertising the job, it's taking the pish again.  It' seems to be all about who will work with levein and who he'll work with.

I'm fearing the worst here in that no matter what, he is here to stay.  I won't mind it if he has us doing well.  There has been no evidence that is the case when it comes to our league form. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Intriguing comment. Why not?

I don’t think he’s happy here. Body language suggests he’s not particularly settled. Has clearly got a bit of talent but I don’t see us getting the best of it