• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Bazzas right boot

• Jeff

• Geoff Kilpatrick

The Treasurer

It will be interesting to see how East Fife approach this game, bearing in mind a win would see them top the group.

Could be they might not be as defensive as Stenny were.

21 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

It will be interesting to see how East Fife approach this game, bearing in mind a win would see them top the group.

Could be they might not be as defensive as Stenny were.

I feel like they'll initially set themselves up to frustrate and slow everything down, not letting us get into a rhythm.

The key for Hearts will be patience and a bit of bravery on the ball. That and a few goals of course.

Edited by Gregorski

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Should the coaching staff not do this regardless of whether Naismith is playing?

They probably do.

Easier to do on the pitch alongside the players than standing shouting from the touchlin or dugout.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

They probably do.

Easier to do on the pitch alongside the players than standing shouting from the touchlin or dugout.

I sit quite low in the main stand and they rarely do, but if they did it’s not working is it when Naismith isn't on the pitch.

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I sit quite low in the main stand and they rarely do, but if they did it’s not working is it when Naismith isn't on the pitch.

Correct.

Is this all ticket or possibility of cash gate. Our plans have changed last minute so was looking to take wee bob to the game

Surrey Jambo
4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

That's tempting fate before the weekend !!!

JKB in meltdown, board crashes, pitchforks and demos outside the ground, cries of sack the board...just like the good old days 😎

I remember the good old 1970's - sit-down protests outside the old main stand and supporters boycotts. 

5 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It is the last opportunity to find out what our best 10 players are, so those can then be added to Naismith for the trip up to Pittodrie next Sunday.

All we have to do is not lose tomorrow, but from a confidence basis I'd prefer to see us go out and look to try and win this game comfortably, something we've not done in any of three league cup ties played yet, i.e. look comfortable throughout.

Really interested PJ.  Do you think the players have just bern easing themselves in so far or just struggling to come to terms with teamwork in these early games?

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We’d won the game against Cowdenbeath within 20 mins?

I'm not doubting that for 1 second. However, having been so far on top we failed to expand on what we had achieved, and Cowdenbeath had a lot more of the ball 2nd half. That is why the expression retain control throughout was used, rather than the word win being used. Switching off for a period in games against the likes of Cowdenbeath and East Fife, for example with no disrespect meant to either, might not have the same outcome as switching off for periods against teams once the league business starts next Sunday. To make such a comment and then be referred to as a moaner beggars belief in all honesty, but bash on.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Mr Elwood P
28 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'm not doubting that for 1 second. However, having been so far on top we failed to expand on what we had achieved, and Cowdenbeath had a lot more of the ball 2nd half. That is why the expression retain control throughout was used, rather than the word win being used. Switching off for a period in games against the likes of Cowdenbeath and East Fife, for example with no disrespect meant to either, might not have the same outcome as switching off for periods against teams once the league business starts next Sunday. To make such a comment and then be referred to as a moaner beggars belief in all honesty, but bash on.

Maybe Craig just felt, after the 10-0 obliteration, we didn’t need to embarrass his former club once again?

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

If it's Hearts 0 at half time I will be officially angry.

Keep out my way.

HT doesn’t matter. Neither does the first 70 mins or anything else. One thing matters, FT result. Top the group, job done!

StevenNaismith

I’ve watched East Fife a few times last season whilst watching Rory Currie play for them. They are a decent enough side at their level but I fully expect Hearts to dominate them physically and with the ball. We need to start taking our chances though. 2-0 Hearts

georgiehearts66
7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

There has  to be a cutoff period when you say enough is enough.

If only you...and a few others... had applied a similar self imposed cutoff 500 CL related posts ago , frankly our forum experience would be enhanced. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

HT doesn’t matter. Neither does the first 70 mins or anything else. One thing matters, FT result. Top the group, job done!

It's my psychological wellbeing at stake though.  I go into a deep depression and it leads to me dreaming that I'm Derek O'Reardon.  Terrifying.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, 80bob said:

Is this all ticket or possibility of cash gate. Our plans have changed last minute so was looking to take wee bob to the game

Our end sold out but a few folk managed to get tickets for their end. Not sure if they have any left or not.

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Our end sold out but a few folk managed to get tickets for their end. Not sure if they have any left or not.

Sound cheers 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Players not strikers. Scared to put pressure on the strikers ? Get them telt, it's their job to score goals

It's not just down to the strikers to score goals.  Clare, Smith, Walker and others all missed good chances on Wednesday night.  We spurned numerous opportunities in the previous games to that as well.

Levein is right with what he is saying.  Yes the strikers have missed their fair share but others need to be able to step up and contribute when the strikers aren't scoring.  I don't really see how you can pick fault in what Levein is saying here.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Not surprised, Doug.  Won't it be about 3am down there? 

It will Jonno.  I'd honestly forgotten that.  Was thinking of it as a 6.45 kick off.

Start time is 2.00 am.

Need a four goal win to guarantee being seeded in next round. I’m assuming Livi take a barrowload off wee Rangers 

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

It's not just down to the strikers to score goals.  Clare, Smith, Walker and others all missed good chances on Wednesday night.  We spurned numerous opportunities in the previous games to that as well.

Levein is right with what he is saying.  Yes the strikers have missed their fair share but others need to be able to step up and contribute when the strikers aren't scoring.  I don't really see how you can pick fault in what Levein is saying here.

Not picking fault just an observation. Goals are what strikers are signed for and they  are conspicuous by their lack of.

He's taking the heat off them by making it out as a collective problem.

A bit of good old arrogance is needed tomorrow to get us back on track. If we want to claim to be the big team in town  lets prove it and go there and win by at least 4 goals  to guarantee  seeding in the next round.  It means we have to in the old fashioned sense get stuck into them from the start. When the chips are down our big away vocal support are just the thing the players need to fire them up to get those pesky elusive goals and get us over the line. I'm not there tomorrow but I'm sure you lot that are will  noise them up to hopefully get us over the line we need.  Good Luck.

Jambof3tornado
12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not picking fault just an observation. Goals are what strikers are signed for and they  are conspicuous by their lack of.

Of course he is. Why heap more pressure on the strikers when the whole team can all score goals?

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Of course he is. Why heap more pressure on the strikers when the whole team can all score goals?

You're right. Let's not bother playing strikers then

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

You're right. Let's not bother playing strikers then

Well we bypass the midfield often enough so lets try something different!

Fozzyonthefence
30 minutes ago, Texaco said:

A bit of good old arrogance is needed tomorrow to get us back on track. If we want to claim to be the big team in town  lets prove it and go there and win by at least 4 goals  to guarantee  seeding in the next round.  It means we have to in the old fashioned sense get stuck into them from the start. When the chips are down our big away vocal support are just the thing the players need to fire them up to get those pesky elusive goals and get us over the line. I'm not there tomorrow but I'm sure you lot that are will  noise them up to hopefully get us over the line we need.  Good Luck.

I doubt our support will be very vocal tomorrow, other than moaning a lot.  We’ll have less than half the support we had at Cowdenbeath where there wasn’t a single song in the whole match.  And it’s not a ground that lends itself to atmosphere.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I doubt our support will be very vocal tomorrow, other than moaning a lot.  We’ll have less than half the support we had at Cowdenbeath where there wasn’t a single song in the whole match.  And it’s not a ground that lends itself to atmosphere.

Another grind on the cards.

That pitch is rotten so no surprise if Hearts toil

12 hours ago, sadj said:

Frozen jobby - just for that extra level of shithousery. Or just launch him out the window when no1 is looking

Stabbed in the neck with a frozen jobby. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Another grind on the cards.

That pitch is rotten so no surprise if Hearts toil

Yeah it’s a plastic pitch but to be fair it’s probably better than Cowden’s.  Thought it looked awful last week.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Probably because it is a collective problem? We had 30 shots on goal on Wednesday night and scored twice. That's not solely down to the strikers.

WheatfieldWarrior
13 hours ago, mitch41 said:

What i’d be doing as manager is taking my best team available and putting on an attacking performance the shows the difference between East Fife and a top SPL team. And if the players I have signed or retained can’t beat East Fife with a few goals and dominate with a high tempo style I would have to, keeping in mind the last 7 months, tender my resignation as manager.

Gone before your star player has even kicked a ball... would save a fortune on planes at least..

Think I'm right in saying we need a 5 goal winning margin for a seeding.  That's unless Livvy seriously underperform against Berwick.

Not sure a seeding is crucial though.

Franksluckypants

Is Craig Smith injured? If not rather have him and Irving in CM than either of the two from mid week!

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Think I'm right in saying we need a 5 goal winning margin for a seeding.  That's unless Livvy seriously underperform against Berwick.

Not sure a seeding is crucial though.

4 goal margin, I think?

Seeding not crucial obviously - but hugely preferable. Especially if we miss out to Hibs.

Franksluckypants

Think who ever we put out should hopefully be able to cope and do enough for a win, but a proper replacement (preferably upgrade) for djoum for next week please!

We won’t lose this, not a chance 

if we get an early goal we will put them to the sword 

We need to focus play and on breaking down a team which will put 10 players behind the ball as this is inveriably what East Fife will do 

still think we will win by a few 

3-0 Hearts 

Think if we can nullify their noisey and boisterous home support and not concede in the first 20mins we can settle down and enjoy a narrow win.It's a difficult venue to play on, wind even on non windy days.

There's not any easy games in this competition, it's going to be tough that's for sure, it's their cup final, as long as the players remember to do all the right things without the ball and we can transition quickly with purpose, show them respect and be professional I'm certain we can win.

Not sure if a a 4 4 1 1 or a 2 4 2 2, or a 3,3,1,1,1,1  system will work best for us.

letsalldothebeattie

Hope we can go out today and put in a performance and put a few goals past them, don't think that's asking too much.

4-0 Walker, Irving, Halkett & Keena

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Probably because it is a collective problem? We had 30 shots on goal on Wednesday night and scored twice. That's not solely down to the strikers.

If we ship lots of goals the strikers don't come in to the blame game. Only fair if they can't hit a barn door they come under scrutiny.

i wish jj was my dad
19 hours ago, CJGJ said:

That's tempting fate before the weekend !!!

JKB in meltdown, board crashes, pitchforks and demos outside the ground, cries of sack the board...just like the good old days 😎

Nah. In the old days we played a high tempo, swashbuckling style, won every game 5 nil and had the league sown up in August. 

If Levein doesn't achieve that this afternoon he should tender his resignation. His BOOTROOM  too.

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Think he wants seeded and cant see the low scoring strikers getting enough tomm without help of others.

Thats my take on it. Why he needs to say it outside dressing room concerns me.

Diadora Van Basten

We need to win by 4 goals so I would play 4-3-3. To solve the three centre half issue I would play Halkett in the Busquets role.

Zlamal 

Smith      Soutar.             Berra.  Hickey

Halkett

Irving.               Walker

Keena.                                          Mulraney    

Uche

40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Middle of winter too.....

:vrface:

Enjoy the game, Doug.

Off to bed now jonno in the maroon and white jammies.  Wife watching some tripe on the living channel so should be fast asleep before she joins me.

Hoping the immortal words "our forwards can score" prove to be prophetic.