TRNSMT

Newton51

2 hours ago, vladimator said:

Think part of the problem is that there are few big bands with longevity

You have The Cure and Foo Fighters at Glasgow Summer Sessions.

Even in terms of the pop lineup this year, none bar Richard Ashcroft are big outside the UK, and he didn't headline.

Mad Cool Festival in Spain same weekend shared the best acts of TRANSMT and pulled bigger names in addition.

On 14/07/2019 at 01:42, frankblack said:

The line up is ****ing shite.

Got tickets for The Cure supported by Mogwai and The Twilight Sad followed by The Foo Fighters the next day in August at Glasgow Summer Sessions.

Saying something is shite then posting that line up is irony in it's strongest form!

17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Saying something is shite then posting that line up is irony in it's strongest form!

:mw_rolleyes:

Oh dear.

You are someone who clearly has no music taste, and all but the most stupid person must admit those bands are bigger than anything at TRANSMT, as bourne out by the ticket sales and festival headline slots across the world.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

:mw_rolleyes:

Oh dear.

You are someone who clearly has no music taste, and all but the most stupid person must admit those bands are bigger than anything at TRANSMT, as bourne out by the ticket sales and festival headline slots across the world.

Being ‘ big ‘ is no guarantee of ‘ good ‘ though, mate. Is that not the problem with music threads ? Everyone has different tastes. I watched some of TRANSMT on TV and was pleasantly surprised at how good some of the acts were. 

What I mean by that is that I would rather watch Fontaines DC than the Cure.

In a minority of course but i’ve never subscribed to the notion that big must mean good.

On 14/07/2019 at 06:56, chuck berrys hairline said:

Is this the replacement for t in the park? From what I've heard it's shite with loads of 16's and under swaggering about with their first Budweiser 😂, sounds like total opposite of t in the park. Can't see this version lasting as long imo

As opposed to lots of 18 year olds swaggering about with their 15th warm cup of Tennents? Not sure that's the total opposite tbh.

Edited by Ray Gin

Do they still do the Radio festival up in Dundee?

Went to that one year with the then Mrs. Was decent. No camping or any of that crap, plenty buses put on for transport.

Biffy Clyro and Bloc Party were my picks but Ce-Lo Green, The Streets, Razorlight were all there if you were into that sort of thing, for variety. Fratellis put on a good show too. (this was a good few years ago)

I assume it was just a one off as never heard about it again. Saying that I tend to avoid festivals. The idea of standing in a muddy field watching tons of crap bands to see a few highlights doesnt hold much appeal. That and I'm getting old.

29 minutes ago, Boab said:

Being ‘ big ‘ is no guarantee of ‘ good ‘ though, mate. Is that not the problem with music threads ? Everyone has different tastes. I watched some of TRANSMT on TV and was pleasantly surprised at how good some of the acts were. 

What I mean by that is that I would rather watch Fontaines DC than the Cure.

In a minority of course but i’ve never subscribed to the notion that big must mean good.

The other poster had a swing and a miss at my taste and I called him out on it.

Big is not a guarantee of being good but he picked on two bands still globally massive after 40 and 25 year careers.  You don't stay at the top on the live circuit if you can't cut it.

I just don't get Lewis Capaldi but I don't suppose his target audience is 55 year old men. Having said that I'd rather listen to his pish than anything the Gallaghers have recorded lately. He's pretty annoying mind

Edited by Jamhammer

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

The other poster had a swing and a miss at my taste and I called him out on it.

Big is not a guarantee of being good but he picked on two bands still globally massive after 40 and 25 year careers.  You don't stay at the top on the live circuit if you can't cut it.

I’m guessing at the end of the day it’s because Scotland is not an attractive proposition to big acts who want a big share of the pot. T in the Park was not financially sustainable and it closed. I take your point on big bands but there are too many has been mid order bands milking it for bucks - see Party at the Palace. Younger bands can’t therefore get on the bill.

3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Do they still do the Radio festival up in Dundee?

Went to that one year with the then Mrs. Was decent. No camping or any of that crap, plenty buses put on for transport.

Biffy Clyro and Bloc Party were my picks but Ce-Lo Green, The Streets, Razorlight were all there if you were into that sort of thing, for variety. Fratellis put on a good show too. (this was a good few years ago)

I assume it was just a one off as never heard about it again. Saying that I tend to avoid festivals. The idea of standing in a muddy field watching tons of crap bands to see a few highlights doesnt hold much appeal. That and I'm getting old.

Sounds like Radio 1's Big Weekend you're talking about. It's in a different place each year - it was in Middlesbrough earlier this year I think.

On 15/07/2019 at 16:15, frankblack said:

:cornette_dog:

Was there a worse "major" festival anywhere else in the UK this year?

The lineup was utter gash whichever way you look at it regardless of where the bands came from.

Were you there?

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Were you there?

Nope.  Going to Glasgow Summer Sessions instead due to infinitely superior line up. 👍

Just now, frankblack said:

Nope.  Going to Glasgow Summer Sessions instead due to infinitely superior line up. 👍

My boys going to that as well. He said whatever it's called was good too. The last gig I went to was the big day 1990. :D

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

My boys going to that as well. He said whatever it's called was good too. The last gig I went to was the big day 1990. :D

I was at the Hydro tonight for Kiss on their "final" tour.  Pyrotechnics there that NEDs could only dream of having! :rofl:

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I was at the Hydro tonight for Kiss on their "final" tour.  Pyrotechnics there that NEDs could only dream of having! :rofl:

Sometimes days are so hard to survive!  Especially at their age. :D

The Internet
14 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I just don't get Lewis Capaldi but I don't suppose his target audience is 55 year old men. Having said that I'd rather listen to his pish than anything the Gallaghers have recorded lately. He's pretty annoying mind

There is something hilarious about capaldi. His music is massively overplayed but he's got a couple of decent tunes, and he is just naturally quite funny imo. Something a bit different for a mainstream pop artist, actually has some character about him. 

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

There is something hilarious about capaldi. His music is massively overplayed but he's got a couple of decent tunes, and he is just naturally quite funny imo. Something a bit different for a mainstream pop artist, actually has some character about him. 

He does seem like he could make it as a stand up comic but his music sounds like so many other male singer songwriters in the charts.

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

To be honest they don’t play his stuff on Planet Rock (Where Rock lives) so I couldn’t even name on of his songs.

The Internet
Just now, Jamhammer said:

To be honest they don’t play his stuff on Planet Rock (Where Rock lives) so I couldn’t even name on of his songs.

Fair point :lol: missus has forth one on in the morning and half an hour never goes past without one of his songs playing on there. 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Fair point :lol: missus has forth one on in the morning and half an hour never goes past without one of his songs playing on there. 

When we were in Crete a year or 2 ago the pool bar  played some Ed Sheerin song over and over again. I’d never heard him. 

Its harmless pap really innit

Best festival I went to in Scotland was the first Connect. Beastie Boys, LCD Soundsystem, J&MC, Super Furry Animals etc in the beautiful surroundings of Argyll.

Unfortunately no **** else seemed to agree, as they sold about 50% of the tickets, went mainstream the following year then disappeared...

4forDevries

Festivals are obviously about the music being played and the atmosphere created. How easy it is getting in and out and the facilities are mega important too. It may be a slightly older age group but Party at the Palace in Linlithgow next month again looks very good and is very easy to get too from Edinburgh and Glasgow due to proximity of rail station.

14 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

His Twitter account is ****ing hilarious. His music isn't for me but he seems a very nice young man who is enjoying the weirdness/benefits of fame. Fair play to him.