Epstein

jake

AlimOzturk
33 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

We can obviously judge, and criticise, but how do you stop it, thats the difficulty, when the numbers that that see it as acceptable are astronomical and all over the globe?

It is a very difficult one indeed. When does a child become an adult? At what point can someone responsibly consent to sex with the potential to have children and the all responsibilities that entails?

We in the UK have obviously judged that age to be 16. I am assuming based on evidence gathering and a thorough analysis of data to determine that this is the correct age that someone can legally and morally consent to sex. 

However, America, for example have theirs set at 18. What made them determine that a person in their culture should be 2 years older? In that sense, and in the argument of judging other cultures, they must view us as allowing children to have sex. 

It would legally acceptable for a 60 year old man to have sex with a 16 year in the UK, yet an 18 year old could face statutory rape charges for having sexual relations with a 15 year old. Morally, I think I know which one is wrong but then again, isn’t the legal basis on this based on morality?

So we take a dim view on other cultures who maybe view children having moved into adulthood earlier than we judge acceptable. However it isn’t exactly fair for us to judge when other cultures, such as America, could potentially judge us in the same manner as we do. 

It is a hard subject and one where I do think there are right and wrong answers. I think folk judging other cultures based on their beliefs, upbringing and legal frameworks ought to look inwards at our own culture and values. They aren’t exactly perfect either. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake

• Sharpie

• Justin Z

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

We can obviously judge, and criticise, but how do you stop it, thats the difficulty, when the numbers that that see it as acceptable are astronomical and all over the globe?

IMG-20240110-WA0006.jpg.c1b63338170cfc4e9cf40a5dca559615.jpg

BlueRiver
9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is a very difficult one indeed. When does a child become an adult? At what point can someone responsibly consent to sex with the potential to have children and the all responsibilities that entails?

We in the UK have obviously judged that age to be 16. I am assuming based on evidence gathering and a thorough analysis of data to determine that this is the correct age that someone can legally and morally consent to sex. 

However, America, for example have theirs set at 18. What made them determine that a person in their culture should be 2 years older? In that sense, and in the argument of judging other cultures, they must view us as allowing children to have sex. 

It would legally acceptable for a 60 year old man to have sex with a 16 year in the UK, yet an 18 year old could face statutory rape charges for having sexual relations with a 15 year old. Morally, I think I know which one is wrong but then again, isn’t the legal basis on this based on morality?

So we take a dim view on other cultures who maybe view children having moved into adulthood earlier than we judge acceptable. However it isn’t exactly fair for us to judge when other cultures, such as America, could potentially judge us in the same manner as we do. 

It is a hard subject and one where I do think there are right and wrong answers. I think folk judging other cultures based on their beliefs, upbringing and legal frameworks ought to look inwards at our own culture and values. They aren’t exactly perfect either. 

Just one thing on that. The federal age for many things is 18 (very similar to the UK in many respects when it comes to explicit images for example) but states set their own ages of consent. Many of these have it set at 16 (there may be additional caveats to this which I'm not sure of). 

I think a big part of the original case around Epstein was the transporting of these girls when they're under 18 which is a federal crime. Obviously another big aspect was of course that he was transporting and having sex with a number of girls that were under 16 too. 

All in all a long-winded way of saying that the age of consent in the USA isn't a blanket 18 and it's lower in many states. 

periodictabledancer
9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Some random replies -

the age of consent varies across the USA , but most states have set it at 16/17. Only around 1/5 of states have it at the age of 18. 

the age of consent was introuduced in Victorian Britain in order to protect children from the rampant child prostituion of the times. So there's nothing scientific about it. 

re the above - some countries have a lower age of consent BUT that comes with the strict caveat that both partners have to be withing a certain age span (ie no old weirdos feeling up young girls). 

jimbojambo
On 09/01/2024 at 14:15, Spellczech said:

Have heard quite a lot of whistpers about Branson over the years...

Interesting that yesterday he was in the news giving Alan Bates and his wife a free holiday, flights etc through Virgin. Looked a bit like desperately trying to repair his reputation as one of the self made good guys to me. Might be best staying out of the news for that reason?