Conor Washington signs for Hearts ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

Have never seen the guy play so won't get carried away or have a pop at the guy just yet.

In saying that he does look like a step up from previous strikers but got a lot to prove as hasn't scored a lot lately.

Thought the same about Vanacek so will wait and see how he starts the season before slating the big useless huddy :lol: 

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Beast Boy

• Absolute Scenes

Will prove an excellent signing for us IMO. Seems to have a great attitude, scores all types of goals. Can go straight into the team. Our front line should be more mobile and less one dimensional now. He and Uche can work defences along the front line, hopefully with midfield players able to get forward to support, not isolating them. Welcome to Heart of Midlothian Conor.

Lad was at one point compared to Charlie Austin in terms of his route into football. Lost his way a bit but still young enough. A chance well worth taking

OmiyaHearts
42 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Washington is a level above Hearts so it can only be good news. The lack of credit Craig and Austin receive for bringing players like him Berra and Naismith to the club is astounding....haters going to hte

I don't think it's a case of 'haters gonna hate'. The guy has played almost no football in a year, hardly any of our supporters would have seen the guy play, so it's hardly a signing that screams high quality. People are right to not get overly excited about it.

Is he level above? I don't think so. He's came from a league with similar quality where he wasn't getting a game. So I think with Washington it's more a case of hoping he can cut it as he feels he has something to prove.

Defo worth taking a chance on him though.

Haringshairband
3 hours ago, Archie White said:

Yet another underwhelming signing. A player released by his last 2 clubs as he did not contribute enough. After our recent track record I have no faith in any signing we make. Where is the creative midfielder we so desperately need...

:cornette:

4 hours ago, Archie White said:

Yet another underwhelming signing. A player released by his last 2 clubs as he did not contribute enough. After our recent track record I have no faith in any signing we make. Where is the creative midfielder we so desperately need...

The guy you've named your account after  - now THERE was an underwhelming signing! ?

One for the oldies. ?

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

The guy you've named your account after  - now THERE was an underwhelming signing! ?

One for the oldies. ?

Thought it was just (appropriate) rhyming slang

sandylejambo
3 hours ago, PB21 said:

I was more referring to the fact he said Washington was an underwhelming signing who hadn't contributed much.  

Sorry mate, I was not having a go, just saying he was right about the creative midfielder 

Brick Tamland

Anyone complaining about a current international striker coming to join us needs to think a bit more before posting. 

Really like this quote from him and how we are going to play this season. This appears to be a player with a point to prove and excited to prove  and also a player who wants to repay the faith shown in him by our management team.   “There’s not too much of a limit on how many I can score given the way the manager wants to play. It’s so refreshing to speak to him and Austin, to hear them say I’m good enough to come here and score goals and they like what I can do.”

3 hours ago, salvo69 said:

Washington is a level above Hearts so it can only be good news. The lack of credit Craig and Austin receive for bringing players like him Berra and Naismith to the club is astounding....haters going to hte

I think we should wait until we see results before we start patting people on the back.

Mr Elwood P
15 hours ago, Taffin said:

Out of interest, does anyone know which player we've signed who had previously commanded the biggest single transfer fee?

Naismith?

Jambosteve1902
5 hours ago, Archie White said:

Apologies to The Posting Police for voicing my opinion on a site where people voice their opinions.

your not voicing an opinion though, you've evidently never seen him play before and your going from stats on wikipedia. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Naismith?

Yeh I think it is. Couldn't see anyone on my brief search last night who'd commanded a bigger move. Just goes to to show the level he was playing not too long again. A real coup that we've had him with us.

Mr Elwood P
16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh I think it is. Couldn't see anyone on my brief search last night who'd commanded a bigger move. Just goes to to show the level he was playing not too long again. A real coup that we've had him with us.

Think Washington and Naismith were worth a combined £10m just three seasons ago!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Legend Claws
4 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Who put the ball in the hibees net? Conor Washington.

It works.

Doesn't.

Who put the ball in the Hibee's net? Washo, Washo? 

Only bit that maybe works is the last part when you would say his whole name, and even that's a stretch. 

Legend Claws

Based on what he said in his interview about setting the tone by putting pressure on a defence and setting the tone, him and Naismith could be an absolute nightmare for defences, all action, never letting them settle. He looks a unit too. Add Uche to that mix and that trio could do some serious damage.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Legend Claws said:

Based on what he said in his interview about setting the tone by putting pressure on a defence and setting the tone, him and Naismith could be an absolute nightmare for defences, all action, never letting them settle. He looks a unit too. Add Uche to that mix and that trio could get sent off regularly by our incompetent and/or cheating referees

FTFY

12 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Yaaaaaassss just seen this news, delighted he has signed ? think he could turn out to be a great signing for us. 

And in other news I have become a father for the 1st time today ? great day to be alive ❤️

Congratulations. Best thing that ever happened to me, so hope it’s the same for you.

davemclaren
6 hours ago, Archie White said:

Certainly hope he’s a far better player than Archie White!  ?

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Think it's a bit harsh to be judging Washington's game time last season when Sheff Utd were winning most weeks and had one of the best strikers in the Championship in Billy Sharp, along with McGoldrick.

Personally, pretty confident he's going to be our best striker in a long time. Certainly says the right things. 

Biggest worry is keeping him fit knowing our luck! ?

Agree with this. If we're going to choose a period of his career to gauge how well he do at Hearts, it isn't being a squad player with a team who got promoted to the PL.

Peterborough Utd in League One is the best comparison.

League - 82 apps - 27 goals. All comps- 90 apps - 32 goals.

1 in 3 strike rate. Will probably take that. Not prolific but if Naismith and Uche chip in with double figures the forward line will be looking good.

43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Certainly hope he’s a far better player than Archie White!  ?

A bit late with that one Dave. Keep up! ? 

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, iainmac said:

A bit late with that one Dave. Keep up! ? 

It’s an age thing. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Anyone complaining about a current international striker coming to join us needs to think a bit more before posting. 

Really like this quote from him and how we are going to play this season. This appears to be a player with a point to prove and excited to prove  and also a player who wants to repay the faith shown in him by our management team.   “There’s not too much of a limit on how many I can score given the way the manager wants to play. It’s so refreshing to speak to him and Austin, to hear them say I’m good enough to come here and score goals and they like what I can do.”

I wonder what the Levein haters will make of that quote

:)

15 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I wonder what the Levein haters will make of that quote

:)

They will point out that he’s not been prolific at a similar league level, and then berate him for having confidence in himself further down the line, like they did with Clare.

Think he could be a real asset to the squad 

brilliant that he wanted to come 

with uche and naisy fit we could have a real strike force and threat next season 

we’ll done Austin McPhee for convincing him 

fair play as well to Michael Smith, Aaron Hughes and Kyle lafferty who also had a word in his ear to come to us 

Mr Elwood P
8 hours ago, Archie White said:

In what way is signing an International player with hundreds of appearances in English League One and the English Championship underwhelming? Sheffield United were promoted to the EPL so will need to dramatically improve their squad to survive. Both Naismith and Lafferty were surplus to requirements in the English Championship and they have been sensational at Hearts. Think about it, think about it again and then post!

Know the guys name from

over recent times but honestly couldn’t say I’ve seen much of him.

Got a gut feeling he’ll be a success though.  In respect of our division he comes with a good background and certainly looks to have a determined style which will suit our game and bear fruit against defences up here. 

Maybe we've found someone who’s style will suit playing off Uche? 

jamtartan74
2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Congratulations. Best thing that ever happened to me, so hope it’s the same for you.

Thanks mate feels amazing and not even 24 hours old yet ? 

jamtartan74
43 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Congrats jt74. All the very best to you and your family. 

Cheers jonno ? 

I have seen a lot of CW as QPR are my team in England, he was signed from Peterborough with great anticipation that he would be able to score at the next level, it just never happened and by the end of his tenure there his confidence was shot! It was never for lack of effort, he worked his socks off, he just lost his touch around goal and began missing simple chances, he was played in a bunch of different forward positions to try to utilize his talents, in the end a move away was the best thing for player and club! In saying all of this I am excited to see him coming to Hearts, maybe a new club and new league is what he needs to get his career back on track, I think Hearts fans will like his effort he puts in, it's just a question of whether he finds his scoring boots which he hasn't had for a few season, potentially a very good signing!

1 hour ago, jamtartan74 said:

Thanks mate feels amazing and not even 24 hours old yet ? 

Congrats Jt,

Wonderful for you and your beloved, I was in the royal Ed when my first was born 21 years ago and will never forget it.

Was the first to feed her and had a Delboy moment her at the time. (check out when Damian was born in Only fools and horses)

Nothing is more precious, all the best.

neon

On 27/06/2019 at 15:57, Mikey1874 said:

You often have another year option these days but to be confirmed. 

And interesting to see Walker has been given 3 years.

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, gator said:

I have seen a lot of CW as QPR are my team in England, he was signed from Peterborough with great anticipation that he would be able to score at the next level, it just never happened and by the end of his tenure there his confidence was shot! It was never for lack of effort, he worked his socks off, he just lost his touch around goal and began missing simple chances, he was played in a bunch of different forward positions to try to utilize his talents, in the end a move away was the best thing for player and club! In saying all of this I am excited to see him coming to Hearts, maybe a new club and new league is what he needs to get his career back on track, I think Hearts fans will like his effort he puts in, it's just a question of whether he finds his scoring boots which he hasn't had for a few season, potentially a very good signing!

Good post, hope he regains his goal scoring touch in the league cup.

bringonthesevco
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

In what way is signing an International player with hundreds of appearances in English League One and the English Championship underwhelming? Sheffield United were promoted to the EPL so will need to dramatically improve their squad to survive. Both Naismith and Lafferty were surplus to requirements in the English Championship and they have been sensational at Hearts. Think about it, think about it again and then post!

I’m guessing (and it’s just a guess) that people think it’s underwhelming as in order to solve our lack of goals in the team we’ve signed 2 attacking players (Washington and Walker) that managed no goals at all between them last season .....

just a guess ..... 

I take it his stats aren't that great on the Xstation?

Can't believe we're not trying to get an unsettled Gareth Bale, Neymar also not happy at PSG.  No ambition at Hearts anymore, I blame the Granny and her toyboy and his toyboy and new stand and the lack of Irish Flags. 

Rotten to the core.

Shambles. 

Archie White
9 hours ago, PB21 said:

I was more referring to the fact he said Washington was an underwhelming signing who hadn't contributed much.  

This thread reminds me of the fawning excitement over Vanecek's signing and look how that turned out. Logic dictates that if he had been contributing in any way in his last two clubs would they seriously have ditched him? Go on mate, score 10 or more league goals in the coming season and ram these words down my throat.

FarmerTweedy
12 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

I'll second this...esp first child...life changing and in a great way...at least for me

Best

TW

You're not that big a fan of your other ones then? ?

4 hours ago, gator said:

Washington says that QPR ****ed him about a bit - didn’t play him in a system that worked to his strengths 

He is convinced that the system we are going to play this season will suit him perfectly and is excited about what he has been told.

Edited by Jammy T

jamtartan74
5 hours ago, neonjambo said:

Congrats Jt,

Wonderful for you and your beloved, I was in the royal Ed when my first was born 21 years ago and will never forget it.

Was the first to feed her and had a Delboy moment her at the time. (check out when Damian was born in Only fools and horses)

Nothing is more precious, all the best.

neon

Excellent buddy ? thanks a lot ??

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good post, hope he regains his goal scoring touch in the league cup.

Really good point imo.  I've bern chastised for saying I want to see us score a minimum of 12 goals in these fixtures.  I absolutely stick by it.  Brilliant chance for the forwards and attacking mids to hit the back of the net, hit good form and start playing as a team.

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Really good point imo.  I've bern chastised for saying I want to see us score a minimum of 12 goals in these fixtures.  I absolutely stick by it.  Brilliant chance for the forwards and attacking mids to hit the back of the net, hit good form and start playing as a team.

12 is probably a realistic target. We scored 13 in our group games last season. Most likely we will score a few less as Dundee United will offer a bit more resistance than ICT!

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Definitely, the United game won’t be easy but the other three are opportunities to do as you say and then have us raring to go against Aberdeen in August.

10 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Can't believe we're not trying to get an unsettled Gareth Bale, Neymar also not happy at PSG.  No ambition at Hearts anymore, I blame the Granny and her toyboy and his toyboy and new stand and the lack of Irish Flags. 

Rotten to the core.

Shambles. 

???

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Rotten to the core.

Shambles. 

The thing is, this is how some folk actually think. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Archie White said:

This thread reminds me of the fawning excitement over Vanecek's signing and look how that turned out. Logic dictates that if he had been contributing in any way in his last two clubs would they seriously have ditched him? Go on mate, score 10 or more league goals in the coming season and ram these words down my throat.

You should check Lafferty and Naismiths scoring record and appearances before joining us. 

SM Sheffield

I have asked a few Blades what they thought of him and most said it was hard to say as he hasn’t played much. Seems to have a bit of pace which is something the squad needs. Hopefully he turns out a lot better than the last two strikers that came from the Lane. Our record of signing Blades forwards has been poor with Nade/Sammon.

colinmaroon
On 28/06/2019 at 01:01, jamtartan74 said:

Yaaaaaassss just seen this news, delighted he has signed ? think he could turn out to be a great signing for us. 

And in other news I have become a father for the 1st time today ? great day to be alive ❤️

Congratulations.

Just become a grandfather again and to see the twins grow is such a joy.

Enjoy every minute, including the difficult parts of these early days.  It's all precious.