Fernando Torres retires

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

All the best to time. One of the most decorated players of our era, even though he was best at Liverpool where he won hee-haw.

OmiyaHearts

Certainly hope he has the decency to finish the current J1 season. I know Sagan Tosu are honking but I'd expect him to see out the remaining fixtures.

Portable Badger

As soon as he stopped bleaching his hair blonde he lost his magic touch !!  Was never the same player after leaving Liverpool

bajthejambo

One of my all time favourite players. To play centre forward and captain your boyhood team is the dream for any of us. Everything else is just a bonus. And he achieved nearly everything else!

jack D and coke

The difference in him when he went to Chelsea was unreal...like a different player. He was untouchable for a couple of seasons at Liverpool. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

The difference in him when he went to Chelsea was unreal...like a different player. He was untouchable for a couple of seasons at Liverpool. 

That goal vs Barcelona makes up for the sitters though

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

That goal vs Barcelona makes up for the sitters though

Must’ve been sweet for him that one. 

The Internet

Really weird player. Awesome for a few years at atletico and Liverpool but has just been somewhere between shite and average for almost 10 years, still playing at a high level for most of them. Great to watch when he was good though. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Really weird player. Awesome for a few years at atletico and Liverpool but has just been somewhere between shite and average for almost 10 years, still playing at a high level for most of them. Great to watch when he was good though. 

Fair assessment.

Just goes to show; no guarantees when you sign a player, no matter what his reputation is. Chelsea fans were over the moon when he signed,  but it never really worked out for him there...

Great player and won many great trophies but wouldn't say one of the most decorated players. Never won a single top flight league title.

AlphonseCapone

At one point was arguably the best striker in the world, but ultimately when I think of him I think of how utterly useless he was at Chelsea. That open goal... ****ing hell. 

Found it;

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Did he not knacker his hamstring? Seemed to lose a bit of pace after that. 

Bazzas right boot

One of those players that was brilliant then went to **** (relatively wise). 

Shows how hard it to be be at the very consistently, Messi and Ronaldo being the very pinicale of consistency. 

IIRC had an injury at Liverpool and Chelsea bought him for a tonne of cash almost as soon as he was fit again. More fool them as he seemed to never reach the same levels again.

fabienleclerq

Liverpool used to counter teams while Chelsea pinned them in. They bought a striker that didn't suit their style imo. 

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

At one point was arguably the best striker in the world, but ultimately when I think of him I think of how utterly useless he was at Chelsea. That open goal... ****ing hell. 

Found it;

Remember Willie Pettiigrew missing one like that at the School End !!

Edited by Gilbert’s Fridge

The Internet

That miss was part of one his better performances for Chelsea too. right after he'd scored a brilliant goal.

Pasquale for King

Great player in his prime, he said when he was at Liverpool that the treatment that he received from defenders in England would shorten his career. He did get a few injuries at Liverpool and Chelsea that hampered his career. Liverpool used the money from his sale to buy Saurez ?? and Carroll ???.

6 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Sadly I think most people will remember him as being shite.

Just shows you then most people know nothing

For a period of time until an injury he was one of the  best strikers in world football

The transfer to Chelsea was great for Liverpool in terms of the transfer fee and the way it worked out but he was just not the same player with Chelsea

tartofmidlothian
49 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great player in his prime, he said when he was at Liverpool that the treatment that he received from defenders in England would shorten his career. He did get a few injuries at Liverpool and Chelsea that hampered his career. Liverpool used the money from his sale to buy Saurez ?? and Carroll ???.

Funniest thing is, Carroll was meant to be the big deal. To most people watching Suarez was just a punt on some guy who had done okay in Holland. In the end he was worth what they paid for both.

tartofmidlothian
10 hours ago, TheStig said:

Great player and won many great trophies but wouldn't say one of the most decorated players. Never won a single top flight league title.

You know, I didn't know that, I thought he must have had one in Spain or somewhere.

One World Cup, two European Championships, one Champions League, two Europa Leagues and one FA cup, though, plus all the individual Golden Boot and solo awards. I'd say he is.

14 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

One of those players that was brilliant then went to **** (relatively wise). 

Shows how hard it to be be at the very consistently, Messi and Ronaldo being the very pinicale of consistency. 

*pinnacle

5 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

You know, I didn't know that, I thought he must have had one in Spain or somewhere.

One World Cup, two European Championships, one Champions League, two Europa Leagues and one FA cup, though, plus all the individual Golden Boot and solo awards. I'd say he is.

And I'd absolutely agree with you. There's only a handful of players out there who wouldn't swap their trophy haul for that!

5 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Just shows you then most people know nothing

For a period of time until an injury he was one of the  best strikers in world football

The transfer to Chelsea was great for Liverpool in terms of the transfer fee and the way it worked out but he was just not the same player with Chelsea

Shame he never won a league title.  Not surprising though when he spent most of his career with Liverpool and Atletico Madrid.

chester copperpot

Just goes to show that when you leave LFC the only way is down :D

his transfer fee brought in Suarez so for that, I thank him. Not so Much for Andy Carrol though :(

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Funniest thing is, Carroll was meant to be the big deal. To most people watching Suarez was just a punt on some guy who had done okay in Holland. In the end he was worth what they paid for both.

Typical view of players coming in from abroad, I saw highlights of an Ajax game in the early hours and he stood out like a sore thumb. I had never heard of him, he was definitely better value for money than Carroll anyway. 

Jusr has a vision of Carroll signing for us, dare I say he’s just our type ?.

Brave Hearts
8 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Done ok in Holland ?

81 goals in 110 games with Ajax

bajthejambo

His assist against Benfica away, his goal against Barcelona, winning the corner from which Chelsea score in the final and then playing virtually as a wing back for the rest of the game. He was crucial to Chelsea winning the Champions League.

He scored many goals, including the opener in the final against Benifica, the following year when winning the Europa League. Scoring the opening goal in the Super Cup final the following season, which Chelsea lost on pens to Bayern Munich.

He also won the Golden Boot for Spain when winning Euro 2012. Once again when contracted to Chelsea.

Was he the same player he was at Liverpool? Certainly not. Was he **** as some have suggested? Absolutely not.

The Internet
1 hour ago, Brave Hearts said:

Done ok in Holland ?

Tbf theres plenty examples of players that scored loads in holland but not doing much elsewhere. Always a risk signing the top scorer in that league. 

18 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Tbf theres plenty examples of players that scored loads in holland but not doing much elsewhere. Always a risk signing the top scorer in that league. 

Definitely. Kezman and Janssen spring to mind.

Remember Afonso Alves Middlesbrough signed, he had a scary goal record at Heerenveen iirc then was a total flop.

Mr Elwood P

This thread definitely shows which posters watch other European leagues and which posters only watch British football!

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Bjorn Johnsen 

22 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Sadly I think most people will remember him as being shite.

Ha ha FFS. Ludicrous comment. You are at it!

LogicalEric

He was ruined after playing through injuries for Liverpool and was never the same dynamic player. Helped kickstart the golden era for Spain. Legend.

52 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Ha ha FFS. Ludicrous comment. You are at it!

Not really, he has been average since he left Liverpool, reminds me a bit of Kaka, absolutely unreal player then his career seemed to flop almost overnight.

The Internet
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bjorn Johnsen 

One of many. Although probably the weirdest example, matched by Michael Higdon.

On 21/06/2019 at 15:17, OmiyaHearts said:

Certainly hope he has the decency to finish the current J1 season. I know Sagan Tosu are honking but I'd expect him to see out the remaining fixtures.

Nearly 

Says his final game is 23 August with 4 rounds of fixtures to go

Seems to be because the team he is playing has his friend David Villa and also Iniesta. "I tried to find an iconic  moment to play my final game".

Edited by Mikey1874

tartofmidlothian
On 22/06/2019 at 12:37, Pasquale for King said:

Typical view of players coming in from abroad, I saw highlights of an Ajax game in the early hours and he stood out like a sore thumb. I had never heard of him, he was definitely better value for money than Carroll anyway. 

Jusr has a vision of Carroll signing for us, dare I say he’s just our type ?.

On 22/06/2019 at 12:43, Brave Hearts said:

Done ok in Holland ?

Exactly, Brave Hearts. Pasquale's described the attitude I'm talking about, everyone in the media was getting excited about Carroll because they knew him and he was English, but Suarez was always likely to be a far better deal.

On 22/06/2019 at 09:34, chester copperpot said:

Just goes to show that when you leave LFC the only way is down :D

If down is winning the champions league, europa league x2 and a fa cup id settle for that 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Exactly, Brave Hearts. Pasquale's described the attitude I'm talking about, everyone in the media was getting excited about Carroll because they knew him and he was English, but Suarez was always likely to be a far better deal.

Dalglish obviously saw them as good pairing, they would’ve been if Carroll had ever been fit and Liverpool played to his strengths. Suarez is a good partner for most players though. I think he has to get his head round the new hand ball rules though, the goalie can still handle it without it being a penalty ?.

4E38E28A-E468-4D89-9ED0-46442C58121E.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King