• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• mitch41

• Enzo Chiefo

SectionDJambo

Whatever anyone thinks of the criticism that Craig Levein gets, whether you like him or loathe him, next season will be a crucial one for him, if he continues in the head coach job. 

Another average to poor league season will offer no excuses. Cup runs are great, and we havent had too many recently, before this season, but the weekly feeling around the club has to improve. Our home record last season, repeated next season, will cause major unrest amongst the fans.

FarmerTweedy
On 28/05/2019 at 12:22, Sir Gio said:

What are Stewarts comments on Cochrane, McDonald, C Smith and now Hickey?

Just interested if he views that as regression too, that Scottish managers should not prepare and invest in youth. Just a thought.

As I always say, if you want to pick a fight, your argument has a lot more credibility when you also demonstrate the positives

After the last derby, he said Levein only picked the young players to deflect criticism from himself. 

Spellczech
21 hours ago, Martin_T said:

The pettiness of it aside, I also find it difficult to disagree with Stewart in this respect as well. Two fortuitous cup runs (and I'd take fortuitous cup runs every season!) mask a very poor league season. 6th place two seasons in a row is unacceptable, it is below the clubs internal expectations of 4th at a minimum, let alone the loftier ambitions we have as fans.Recruitment as has been well documented on here, has been very poor, the turnover of players is farcical, especially given only limited improvement.

There are mitigating circumstances over the past two seasons of the stadium situation and the injuries we've had, but we need to be doing much better, particularly in the league and the style of football has, from my perspective, also been dire.

I've long been one of CL's biggest supporters, but at time of writing, I think he has a lot to prove all over again.

Apart from the lack of entertainment I fail to see a massive difference between 4th and 6th in the league. Cup runs are always fortuitous when you are not the OF, however we've definately been getting progressively luckier in the cups...

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Every manager makes signings who do not fare well.. 

If you list the poor signings made by Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen over the same period they'll amount to more than 4.

And that’s ok is it.  No more mistakes, giving poor players 2 to 3 year contracts please because having a manager with poor judgement can ruin a club.

i wish jj was my dad
37 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

After the last derby, he said Levein only picked the young players to deflect criticism from himself. 

Not the most balanced view of things from Mikey.

manaliveits105

I don’t bother watching Sportscene  or listen to BBC radio anymore - Id rather get updates and highlights online or other sources than listen to unprofessional pundits 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

They don't have to defend him. They choose to because they have a greater insight than a guy with a huge chip on both shoulders and has built his career on falling out with people and being controversial.

Results have been unacceptable but when you constantly regurgitate the same pish without acknowledging mitigating factors or showing any kind of balance then you lose credibility. 

Look forget about the personalities much of what Stewart says about Levein’s management is accepted as true.  It’s not a beauty contest it’s about what is best for Hearts. Credibility is something you earn which you my wee pal have failed and now you get put in the dunces corner. Your report card states 

1 Football knowledge.                           POOR

2. Talks mince.                                       EXCELLENT

Signed.               Mitch

Edited by mitch41

Lord Beni of Gorgie
43 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

That is precisely the kind of comment that detracts from anything pertinent he has to say

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

That is precisely the kind of comment that detracts from anything pertinent he has to say

Precisely

4 hours ago, ScoPo said:

Based on what? 

When was the last time we did finish above them?  

What gives you grounds for future hope?  

First of all football goes in cycles. Secondly, McInnes has hit a ceiling IMO now there's more competition for him in the league and this year's league campaign shows he's going backwards. He's lost all the key players now that made his side so hard to beat the last few years. Shinnie will be a huge miss. Killie are going to be weaker. Hibs don't look much with a complete squad turnover in the works. Plus I'm a Hearts fan. 

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Look forget about the personalities much of what Stewart says about Levein’s management is accepted as true.  It’s not a beauty contest it’s about what is best for Hearts. Credibility is something you earn which you my wee pal have failed and now you get put in the dunces corner. Your report card states 

1 Football knowledge.                           POOR

2. Talks mince.                                       EXCELLENT

Signed.               Mitch

Much of what Stewart says will be accepted as true by arseholes harbouring a grudge. Some of what he says might be accepted by folk with a more balanced point of view and some might totally ignore what he says as his credibility is blown due to his complete lack of objectivity.    You both share the same lack of perspective.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Whatever anyone thinks of the criticism that Craig Levein gets, whether you like him or loathe him, next season will be a crucial one for him, if he continues in the head coach job. 

Another average to poor league season will offer no excuses. Cup runs are great, and we havent had too many recently, before this season, but the weekly feeling around the club has to improve. Our home record last season, repeated next season, will cause major unrest amongst the fans.

It's his last season as a football manager. I'm pretty sure he'll be motivated to learn from this season and will want to prove detractors wrong and go out with a bang.

FarmerTweedy
19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Indeed. 

Listening to Stewart is like going for a drink with a friend and every time his brother joins you. The first time you sat and listened about all the faults of his ex who had cheated on him and actually felt sorry for him. But see the 15th time... Aye mate we know you hate her but gonnae stfu. Stewart hates levein, levein probably hates Stewart but it's way beyond tiresome now. 

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Michael Stewart Hearts supporter lays the boot into the Hearts manager just days after a sore cup final defeat and will spend the whole close season bad mouthing our club and manager.

Craig Levein is spending his time in the close season trying his hardest to better Heart of Midlothian football club.

Think I prefer Levein's input into our club to be honest.

Aye, we're the only team I can see outwith Celtic that has managed to tie up some of our best players on longer contracts already, with hopefully the best of all to commit soon. Everyone else is losing key players this summer. That's all Levein.

13 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Much of what Stewart says will be accepted as true by arseholes harbouring a grudge. Some of what he says might be accepted by folk with a more balanced point of view and some might totally ignore what he says as his credibility is blown due to his complete lack of objectivity.    You both share the same lack of perspective.

You are very bitter towards Hearts fans who know what they are talking about.

Just because you post your views that are very childish you shouldn’t lose the head like a hysterical banshee.

5 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Listening to Stewart is like going for a drink with a friend and every time his brother joins you. The first time you sat and listened about all the faults of his ex who had cheated on him and actually felt sorry for him. But see the 15th time... Aye mate we know you hate her but gonnae stfu. Stewart hates levein, levein probably hates Stewart but it's way beyond tiresome now. 

Stewart was staring a decent career as one of the few intelligent and reasoned pundit in Scotland in the face and seems intent on blowing it. Sounds very familiar to his football career tbh.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Just because you post your views that are very childish you shouldn’t lose the head like a hysterical banshee.

I really shouldn't rise to it but you don't do irony, do you?

22 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've heard this "bottle" thing raised from Levein among others, about going into management.  "Bottle" is required if you want to work in the emergency servicrs or serve in the armed forces, not getting involved in football management, a cushy job where you hoover a large salary, wangle your way on to the board and a DOF role and convince the owner of a club that bright times lie ahead. Not a lot of bottle required for that,  I'm afraid.

Terrible post, which part of his job was so cushy that it brought on a heart attack?

3 minutes ago, john5698 said:

Terrible post, which part of his job was so cushy that it brought on a heart attack?

"Cushy" was always the word that sprung to mind watching Levein as a player, too. Or when he took on the SFA.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

"Cushy" was always the word that sprung to mind watching Levein as a player, too. Or when he took on the SFA.

Correct, one of the classiest player's we have had in the last 50 years. 

5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I really shouldn't rise to it but you don't do irony, do you?

I leave the ironing to the June she’s a diamond. It’s very hard for me to know so much about football that I tend to be over critical of fans like you. Don’t take that personally as I am a legend in my own mind. Just remember I don’t hate anyone Levein, Budge, Stewart, Brown, Lennon ect to me it’s all about football. Ok when I was a manager I might tell a defender to kick the crap out of the other teams best attacking player or well we’ll leave that there lol.

42 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

First of all football goes in cycles. Secondly, McInnes has hit a ceiling IMO now there's more competition for him in the league and this year's league campaign shows he's going backwards. He's lost all the key players now that made his side so hard to beat the last few years. Shinnie will be a huge miss. Killie are going to be weaker. Hibs don't look much with a complete squad turnover in the works. Plus I'm a Hearts fan. 

McInnes might not even be there next season. Club and him are not daft. Milne might feel keeping hold of him will deflect anger from him though so might keep him around.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I leave the ironing to the June she’s a diamond. It’s very hard for me to know so much about football that I tend to be over critical of fans like you. Don’t take that personally as I am a legend in my own mind. Just remember I don’t hate anyone Levein, Budge, Stewart, Brown, Lennon ect to me it’s all about football. Ok when I was a manager I might tell a defender to kick the crap out of the other teams best attacking player or well we’ll leave that there lol.

I really think we should. Enjoy you subbuteo ?

Howdy Doody Jambo
33 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Spot on , I think this is how Ian Holloway would have put it

22 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

If the player doesn’t try in training then they won’t get any fitter.

Is that a fact mate? I dont know the ins and outs but you might be along the right lines given how hes no been near the 1st team in months. If true, he should be shown the door. If I started a new job and never bothered my arse trying to learn or do it properly I'm sure is be out before probation ended. Doesnt say much for his attitude either if your right. Pity we didn't have 18 uches when it comes to heart and determination to improve 

14 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I really think we should. Enjoy you subbuteo ?

In Germany they call me Herr Flick.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Apart from the lack of entertainment I fail to see a massive difference between 4th and 6th in the league. Cup runs are always fortuitous when you are not the OF, however we've definately been getting progressively luckier in the cups...

It's about £600,000 between 4th and 6th in prize money IIRC. A fair chunk of our annual turnover if true.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, john5698 said:

Oh ffs. Are you a doctor? Was it work related or due to other factors? What a ridiculous post. Even more reason to step aside and move to Spain, for example.

15 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It's about £600,000 between 4th and 6th in prize money IIRC. A fair chunk of our annual turnover if true.

There's 250 grand difference. Still not to be sniffed at. And our cup runs will have offset some of that at least.

Ladbrokes Premiership
1st - 13.40% - £3,350,000 
2nd - 9.60% - £2,400,000 
3rd - 8.25% - £2,062,500 
4th - 7.25% - £1,812,500 
5th - 6.75% - £1,687,500 
6th - 6.25% - £1,562,500 
7th - 5.75% - £1,437,500 
8th - 5.50% - £1,375,000 
9th - 5.25% - £1,312,500 
10th -5.00% - £1,250,000 
11th - 4.75% - £1,187,500 
12th - 4.50% - £1,125,000 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Funny, I read all the same pish last season. Killie were a one season wonder, Aberdeen were regressing and that Levein's "natural order" would be restored ....what happened? Each and every one of them finished above us, yet again Now, people are convincing themselves that exciting times lie ahead. We need a major overhaul of our football dept as one man is holding us back .

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There's 250 grand difference. Still not to be sniffed at. And our cup runs will have offset some of that at least.

Ladbrokes Premiership
2nd - 9.60% - £2,400,000 
3rd - 8.25% - £2,062,500 
4th - 7.25% - £1,812,500 
5th - 6.75% - £1,687,500 
6th - 6.25% - £1,562,500 
7th - 5.75% - £1,437,500 
8th - 5.50% - £1,375,000 
9th - 5.25% - £1,312,500 
10th -5.00% - £1,250,000 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

Fair enough, it's less than I thought. 4th comes with European qualification as well, which is something else that we have just missed out on for the 3rd season in a row.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Funny, I read all the same pish last season. Killie were a one season wonder, Aberdeen were regressing and that Levein's "natural order" would be restored ....what happened? Each and every one of them finished above us, yet again Now, people are convincing themselves that exciting times lie ahead. We need a major overhaul of our football dept as one man is holding us back .

We led the league for weeks until injuries decimated the side and knocked us off our stride, but we still got to a cup final, putting in a great performance, despite again missing key players, to narrowly go down to a team with 10 times our budget.

Just now, Martin_T said:

Fair enough, it's less than I thought. 4th comes with European qualification as well, which is something else that we have just missed out on for the 3rd season in a row.

Only 3rd is automatic Europe. Aberdeen got in because Celtic won the cup, like Hibs last year. Although as Celtic wins the cup every year now it kind of is automatic qualification ? Yeah, we should be looking to be in Europe at least every 3 years. That's how it's usually gone for us.

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Only 3rd is automatic Europe. Aberdeen got in because Celtic won the cup, like Hibs last year. Although as Celtic wins the cup every year now it kind of is automatic qualification ? Yeah, we should be looking to be in Europe at least every 3 years. That's how it's usually gone for us.

Whichever way that you spin it, it's still under performance.

8 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

3 years without Europe definitely is underachievement for us. A cup final improves things a bit though. The main disagreement when judging the manager seems to be between folk who think off-field goings-on (new stand, 2 manager changes and so on) and then injuries this season played a part in that under performance and those who see that as just making excuses.

Enzo Chiefo
20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We led the league for weeks until injuries decimated the side and knocked us off our stride, but we still got to a cup final, putting in a great performance, despite again missing key players, to narrowly go down to a team with 10 times our budget.

Your loyalty to Craig is admirable but, using your logic, the only reason we got to the Final in the first place was because WE beat teams who have much less than a tenth of OUR budget, including a junior team. Poor management "decimated" our team more than any injuries.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Your loyalty to Craig is admirable but, using your logic, the only reason we got to the Final in the first place was because WE beat teams who have much less than a tenth of OUR budget, including a junior team. Poor management "decimated" our team more than any injuries.

Hearts fans talking down a rare cup run all the way to the final is not a good look. Who did we play in 98 again before the final?

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

16-11 between 1986 (our turning point) and 2012 (as admin took hold) to Hearts in the higher league placings head to head with Aberdeen.  However, 2 of theirs came virtue of better goal difference while finishing on the same points with each other.

A cycle?  I’d say we’ve managed to establish being stronger generally, or had until we got relegated.  It may look closer in the head to head but their average league position was alot worse. They had a number of bottom 6 finishes. 

Additionally, I’ve heard vermin fans talk of a ‘cycle’ that....”sometimes it’s us and sometimes it you”...when referring to finishing higher....... F**kin desperate, laughable set of fans deluding themselves into thinking they’ve matched us in the league over the decades. There’s no end to their fiction. 

DalryJambo
1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Is that a fact mate? I dont know the ins and outs but you might be along the right lines given how hes no been near the 1st team in months. If true, he should be shown the door. If I started a new job and never bothered my arse trying to learn or do it properly I'm sure is be out before probation ended. Doesnt say much for his attitude either if your right. Pity we didn't have 18 uches when it comes to heart and determination to improve 

To be honest I have no idea either way if he’s trying to get fit or not, much like any other supporter. But the fact that there are folk on here criticising CL on how he’s handled this without know any details of the situation is bonkers. There’s hundreds of reasons why this guy might be struggling to settle into a new club/country and maybe CL is doing a great job supporting him through it? Who knows? 

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

I think every Hearts fan thinks they know what they are talking about. Is it your belief that the only Hearts fans that know what they are talking about are the ones that say the same things as you? 

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Another made up ‘fact’ to support an agenda. Tiresome 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes I agree, you are holding this forum back. 

41 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Only an opinion though. Not fact as you try to portray it. 

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

It is £250,000 which is still a large amount of money.

Although that would come down with the players bonuses being subtracted from the extra prize money of £250,000 if Hearts had achieved 4th place.  

Ladbrokes Premiership
2nd - 9.60% - £2,400,000 
3rd - 8.25% - £2,062,500 
4th - 7.25% - £1,812,500 
5th - 6.75% - £1,687,500 
6th - 6.25% - £1,562,500 
7th - 5.75% - £1,437,500 
8th - 5.50% - £1,375,000 
9th - 5.25% - £1,312,500 
10th -5.00% - £1,250,000 

3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Doubt he’s spinning anything tbf. Just as presumably you weren’t spinning anything when you got the £600k figure wildly wrong.

Enzo Chiefo
7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hearts fans talking down a rare cup run all the way to the final is not a good look. Who did we play in 98 again before the final?

I'm going to get a "gallant loser" medal struck for you. Easy cup draws are great but only if you go on to WIN the Cup, as we did in 98. To win Cups you normally have to be able to beat one of the OF in Glasgow, as Jim Jefferies and Paulo Sergio did.

8 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

To be honest I have no idea either way if he’s trying to get fit or not, much like any other supporter. But the fact that there are folk on here criticising CL on how he’s handled this without know any details of the situation is bonkers. There’s hundreds of reasons why this guy might be struggling to settle into a new club/country and maybe CL is doing a great job supporting him through it? Who knows? 

Fair point. I personally think the lack of information on his progress isn't helping his situation. Even if a cliche along the lines of 'hes struggled to adapt to the league/new country, however he is hopeful a good preseason will see him start to show his capabilities' wouldn't go amiss and, more importantly, not heap too much pressure on the guy. I'm kind of struggling to see where all the hype and fanfare came from before his arrival. Most of which you could attribute to the player and Craig Levein if the quotes being banded about at the time were true

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Oh ffs. Are you a doctor? Was it work related or due to other factors? What a ridiculous post. Even more reason to step aside and move to Spain, for example.

Bit touchy there. What has being a doctor got to do with it. He Had a heart attack, I would think it was stress related, I don't know. Your post was ridiculous and judging by your reply you know it. Your bitterness towards the man is quite ridiculous. I note you didn't answer the question.