Mikey Stewart again.......

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/michael-stewart-condemns-craig-leveins-16340375

footballscotland.co.uk

Michael Stewart condemns Craig Levein's man-management and 'Cathroesque' form

Adam Miller
5-6 minutes

Michael Stewart has called out Craig Levein for the "continual regression" that has taken place at Hearts since Robbie Neilson departed in 2016.

The former Hearts midfielder has also questioned owner Ann Budge, and said that rather than a fan ownership club "it feels more like a dictator".

It's not the first time Stewart has spoken strongly about Levein, and this latest assessment of events at Tynecastle is unlikely to endear him to the Hearts boss.

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, Stewart said: "I unfortunately think that Hearts are stuck in mid-table mediocrity with what they have, and I've said it on a number of occasions since Saturday that a lot of credit goes to the manager because I think he came up with a gameplan that almost paid off and the players played it out to a tee and it was effective.

"But I also said on Saturday that one swallow does not make a summer and when you look at the bigger picture, two sixth place finishes, a turnover of players which is astronomical, a lot of money spent. The return on that is not evident.

"It's not there, and I think the potential of the club is huge, but they're underachieving massively.

"Unfortunately though as well, it was meant to be a fan ownership club but it feels more like a dictator at the moment.

Michael Stewart with Craig Levein as he signs for Hearts in July 2004 (Image: SNS Group)

"The fans will be buoyed by the cup final performance, but as I said when you look at the bigger picture the evidence is not particularly great.

"It's a Cathroesque run of form, and it's not to suggest that Craig Levein is of that ilk because he's clearly a better manager than Ian Cathro, but the point is Ian Cathro got his jotters for a run of form which was similar to this but Craig Levein's in absolutely no danger.

"He has complete control of that club, which I think is unhealthy. He sits on the board."

When host Jonathan Sutherland referred to owner Ann Budge's suggestion that Levein isn't "bombproof", Stewart replied: "I know she did, but words are cheap.

"My retort to that would be what would it take for Craig Levein to be removed from his post, because Ann Budge said when Robbie Neilson was there in November 2016, that anything less than last year's third place finish is not very good.

"If we got into Europe in fourth place that could be alright.

"Well she's had two sixth place finishes under Craig Levein. As I said before he's brought in a cast of thousands and the turnover of players is through the roof.

"Yet, Craig Levein is always a manager who is always on the cusp of something. It's always a five-year rolling project on the horizon.

"It never arrives. It's always just round the corner.

"It's always on the horizon. It never arrives. It's always continually evolving."

After Scott McDonald suggested that Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen will be looking to finish third, Stewart responded: "So they budget for fourth, but they finish sixth the last two years.

"I mean if that's not underachievement, I go back to saying what is?

"If you continually finish sixth...Hearts have the potential in my opinion to go and challenge right at the top.

"Aberdeen under Derek McInnes have finished second for four years in a row and they've finished fourth this year. Tell me how Aberdeen can do that and Hearts can't.

"Craig Levein's been there from the get-go with Ann Budge for five years, and there has been a continual regression since Robbie Neilson finished third in the top flight. Continually regressed.

"We were talking about Vaněček and I said this on Saturday as well, Uche Ikpeazu couldn't start the game because he wasn't fit enough. Here's a guy, Vaněček, who they were desperate to get in.

"He comes in in January. He assesses him in training but doesn't realise he's not fit enough. Chucks him into the first game for 90 minutes, you could see he wasn't fit enough but it looked like he had some touches, and then plays him for half an hour in the next game and hauls him off.

"Paints a big target on his back and says that he was hopeless, and then I see quotes from him in the last few weeks saying that 'his fitness is getting better, he's up to speed now, but I'm concerned that it looks like he's low on confidence'. I wonder why he's low on confidence.

"I mean, we said it at the time that this was horrendous man-management and he took exception to it. Well I'm sorry, the proof is in the pudding."

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• mitch41

• Enzo Chiefo

Stewart is s tool and it’s very much personal with Levein.

Having said that, he’s not too far off the mark here imo. 

Absolute Scenes

I just laugh at the poor excuse for words and sentences that spurt from that angry little man's mouth

But he is right about Vanacek - that's still a situation that has confused me

The thing is with MS, his personal agenda against Craig overrides anything factual he has to say.

It's sad and its desperate.

I'd back our manager 100 times over before this sad sac.

It’s unbalanced as usual. Focus is on Vanacek, whereas Clare, Naismith, Mulraney, Haring and Ikpeazu have all been decent signings, looking likely to kick on next year.

After wholesale changes year upon year, we’re finally moving towards a more settled side.

Naismith was asked at the shareholders dinner “why the dip in form” .  He said it’s inevitable when you bring in so many players, never mind the injury list concentrated in certain positions.

Stewart makes some valid points, but the problem is he has an agenda. He’s supposed to provide analysis. Continually lacks balance.

Like him as a pundit, but he’s doing himself no favours with this.

avhudtheteeshirt

Think Stewart forgets that all the other teams in the league are after spots 3-6 every year!

10 into 4 places does not go so some have to lose out!

His bitterness always seems to shine through when talking anything Levein!!!

He does make some valid points, but that's to try and mask his abhorrence to Levein!!!!!

Unknown user
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

I just laugh at the poor excuse for words and sentences that spurt from that angry little man's mouth

But he is right about Vanacek - that's still a situation that has confused me

The thing is that it's easy for us to sit and say what could or should have happened but these are complex human beings with relationships, needs, and wants. 

None of us knows what's happening behind the scenes, maybe the big man suffers panic attacks, maybe family health matters have affected things, maybe it turns out he's an utter arsehole, who knows?

For all we know levein and the coaching staff have been protecting vanacek at a low point in his life, but it's far too easy to say "he should be playing" and call Levein a **** with no actual information to hand. The only thing I'm sure of is that in any group of 20-30 young men, at any given time a couple of them won't be functioning as they could for whatever reasons. 

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The thing is that it's easy for us to sit and say what could or should have happened but these are complex human beings with relationships, needs, and wants. 

None of us knows what's happening behind the scenes, maybe the big man suffers panic attacks, maybe family health matters have affected things, maybe it turns out he's an utter arsehole, who knows?

For all we know levein and the coaching staff have been protecting vanacek at a low point in his life, but it's far too easy to say "he should be playing" and call Levein a **** with no actual information to hand. The only thing I'm sure of is that in any group of 20-30 young men, at any given time a couple of them won't be functioning as they could for whatever reasons. 

Completely agree btw

It was more just how he was assessed in training to be allowed to start then pulled off in the first 20 - 30 minutes in his second start and then be slated for his fitness. That was a strange one, but I agree about state of mind etc. there's more to not playing than just "fitness"

Bull's-eye

Trying to portray himself as the mouthpiece of the morons.

He's made for the job.

Easy for an abject failure as a footballer to criticise a manager.  And by the way Michael, what is your record as a manager? 

Ooops.  Couldnae hack it as a footballer, so no invitation to carry on in to management?

What really confuses me is how someone with no track record gets to be a football pundit?

He has an agenda which is clearly to see Levein removed or sacked.  He does it in a cowardly way, knowing the club have no recourse to challenge him.

Having seen MS play, I have to agree with CL comments about him costing £1 too much.

Ouch...  And there you have the reason.

Bitter wee cowardly fud enters into vendetta mode to get his revenge!

Go away Michael. You are boring everyone now...

Vlad the impaler

He’s now at the stage where he’s unable to comment on Hearts without making it about Craig Levein. On sportsound they were discussing Scott Brown’s lack of class at full time,when MS piped up out of no where saying “Did Craig Levein show class when he called Derek Mcinnes a dick?” His obsession is weird

letsalldothebeattie

The man needs to give it a rest. It’s getting tiring every week or every other week he has a new attack on Levein. We all know the structure we’ve all known the structure of the club since day 1. Levein isn’t going to give up any power because Michael Stewart is having a pop at him over it. 

Move on Mikey. Seek some help. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Completely agree btw

It was more just how he was assessed in training to be allowed to start then pulled off in the first 20 - 30 minutes in his second start and then be slated for his fitness. That was a strange one, but I agree about state of mind etc. there's more to not playing than just "fitness"

It was strange, no denying that.

Reminds me of an old one though, when big Dave McPherson moved to rangers he had a sit down with his new boss.

"Well Dave, rangers is a big club with a lot of people to keep happy. We're going to start you in the next game and at half time we'll pull you off, how does that sound?"

"Brilliant gaffer, at Hearts we just got a cup of tea"

Bazzas right boot

Reminds me of some posters on here. 

Obsessed doesn't quite cover it. 

Now firmly in the complete bawbag category. 

Cruyff Turn

A prick with an agenda and he stinks of fox piss.

He’s a weegie bumlicker and best ignored.

innerjambo

Obviously his agenda with Levein is full speed ahead. It's just a pity that Levein gives him plenty ammunition and lots to write about. 

He’s bang on the money. Doesn’t matter if he’s only saying it cause he hates Levein, he’s 100% right. The stuff about success constantly on the horizon sums us up, John Souttar is at it today with his comments. Clubs stuck in reverse and a big proportion of the fan base are looking at Budge and Co to act. 

doctor jambo

“Cast of thousands”

heard that one before Mikey .

when you can get outwitted by Kris”burger van” Boyd you know you’re in trouble

hmfc_steve
32 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Can't really disagree with a lot of that but Stewart's personal agenda clouds most of the things he says for me.

Me neither ... a lot of what he says is what a lot of us think

Whatever people think of Levein as a manager I think most of us can agree that Stewart is a complete blowhard tool and shouldn’t be given the time of day.

2 sixth place finishes

large turn over of players

Craig Levein is part of the furniture

Vanacek situation

All valid points and correct but no context around them. Without question we have to improve in 1st team player development, our league form and CL must be given targets like any other manager would be, fails to meet them and he has to give up the managers chair. I’m still not convinced he will be Manager come the start of the season but if he is we need to see more transparency in his relationship with the owner.

35 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/michael-stewart-condemns-craig-leveins-16340375

footballscotland.co.uk

Michael Stewart condemns Craig Levein's man-management and 'Cathroesque' form

Adam Miller
5-6 minutes

Michael Stewart has called out Craig Levein for the "continual regression" that has taken place at Hearts since Robbie Neilson departed in 2016.

The former Hearts midfielder has also questioned owner Ann Budge, and said that rather than a fan ownership club "it feels more like a dictator".

It's not the first time Stewart has spoken strongly about Levein, and this latest assessment of events at Tynecastle is unlikely to endear him to the Hearts boss.

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, Stewart said: "I unfortunately think that Hearts are stuck in mid-table mediocrity with what they have, and I've said it on a number of occasions since Saturday that a lot of credit goes to the manager because I think he came up with a gameplan that almost paid off and the players played it out to a tee and it was effective.

"But I also said on Saturday that one swallow does not make a summer and when you look at the bigger picture, two sixth place finishes, a turnover of players which is astronomical, a lot of money spent. The return on that is not evident.

"It's not there, and I think the potential of the club is huge, but they're underachieving massively.

"Unfortunately though as well, it was meant to be a fan ownership club but it feels more like a dictator at the moment.

Michael Stewart with Craig Levein as he signs for Hearts in July 2004 (Image: SNS Group)

"The fans will be buoyed by the cup final performance, but as I said when you look at the bigger picture the evidence is not particularly great.

"It's a Cathroesque run of form, and it's not to suggest that Craig Levein is of that ilk because he's clearly a better manager than Ian Cathro, but the point is Ian Cathro got his jotters for a run of form which was similar to this but Craig Levein's in absolutely no danger.

"He has complete control of that club, which I think is unhealthy. He sits on the board."

When host Jonathan Sutherland referred to owner Ann Budge's suggestion that Levein isn't "bombproof", Stewart replied: "I know she did, but words are cheap.

"My retort to that would be what would it take for Craig Levein to be removed from his post, because Ann Budge said when Robbie Neilson was there in November 2016, that anything less than last year's third place finish is not very good.

"If we got into Europe in fourth place that could be alright.

"Well she's had two sixth place finishes under Craig Levein. As I said before he's brought in a cast of thousands and the turnover of players is through the roof.

"Yet, Craig Levein is always a manager who is always on the cusp of something. It's always a five-year rolling project on the horizon.

"It never arrives. It's always just round the corner.

"It's always on the horizon. It never arrives. It's always continually evolving."

After Scott McDonald suggested that Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen will be looking to finish third, Stewart responded: "So they budget for fourth, but they finish sixth the last two years.

"I mean if that's not underachievement, I go back to saying what is?

"If you continually finish sixth...Hearts have the potential in my opinion to go and challenge right at the top.

"Aberdeen under Derek McInnes have finished second for four years in a row and they've finished fourth this year. Tell me how Aberdeen can do that and Hearts can't.

"Craig Levein's been there from the get-go with Ann Budge for five years, and there has been a continual regression since Robbie Neilson finished third in the top flight. Continually regressed.

"We were talking about Vaněček and I said this on Saturday as well, Uche Ikpeazu couldn't start the game because he wasn't fit enough. Here's a guy, Vaněček, who they were desperate to get in.

"He comes in in January. He assesses him in training but doesn't realise he's not fit enough. Chucks him into the first game for 90 minutes, you could see he wasn't fit enough but it looked like he had some touches, and then plays him for half an hour in the next game and hauls him off.

"Paints a big target on his back and says that he was hopeless, and then I see quotes from him in the last few weeks saying that 'his fitness is getting better, he's up to speed now, but I'm concerned that it looks like he's low on confidence'. I wonder why he's low on confidence.

"I mean, we said it at the time that this was horrendous man-management and he took exception to it. Well I'm sorry, the proof is in the pudding."

Cant really disagree with any of those comments tbf especially vanacek. How can a guy arrive in January then take best part of 5 months to be 'nearly'fit especially when he wasnt injured? Stewart clearly does dislike CL though. I've often wondered why he dislikes Craig Levein so much. A mate of mine bumped into him after a game a few months back and asked him just that question. Apparently it stems from leveins Scotland manager days and Stewart felt he should've been picked by him. No idea if true but no reason to doubt my mate. Hes not even a jambo but messaged to say he was with him so I asked him to ask the question. That's what i got back.

hibsarepants

This man has a undisguised personal agenda against Levein and because of that the (some) valid points he makes are lost in vitriol.

Pundits cant afford to have or show bias , its tarnishes their comments. Like Packy Bonnar AND Celtic  - is he ever going to criticise them - not likely. Is Mikey Stewart ever going to give Levein and by implication our club an unbiased comment - again not likely

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Obviously his agenda with Levein is full speed ahead. It's just a pity that Levein gives him plenty ammunition and lots to write about. 

I concur fully

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

That sandwich, or "piece..." looks really good to be honest. :lol:

Ha Ha, Its easy to pick on a manager when you are in the media and have no pressures of being active in a club.

MS has constantly gone on with this playground behaviour, his comments right or wrong should be stopped.

As said getting very boring now, Ive met MS hes a decent guy which i find all this very strange. 

It should have been ten
47 minutes ago, Homme said:

The thing is with MS, his personal agenda against Craig overrides anything factual he has to say.

It's sad and its desperate.

I'd back our manager 100 times over before this sad sac.

As much as I actually like Mikey Stewart I totally agree with you. Would back Craig a million times before him. You summed it up perfectly.

Edited by It should have been ten

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What are Stewarts comments on Cochrane, McDonald, C Smith and now Hickey?

Just interested if he views that as regression too, that Scottish managers should not prepare and invest in youth. Just a thought.

As I always say, if you want to pick a fight, your argument has a lot more credibility when you also demonstrate the positives

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just interested if he views that as regression too, that Scottish managers should not prepare and invest in youth. Just a thought.

As I always say, if you want to pick a fight, your argument has a lot more credibility when you also demonstrate the positives

Considering McInnes appears bombproof, when they play celtic in finals, they get utterly annihilated. He only had celtic to compete with for years and suffered frequent cricket score reversals.

Slippy has led rangers to approximately nothing despite a lottery win budget.

Lennon with a similar budget to ours managed 5th at Hibs and their season ended months ago .

tommy Wright - bad year, Motherwell bad year,

killie were excellent though 

13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Basically bundled them in the Jam tomorrow quote , levein is all about 5 year plans with no plan for the here and now , it’s all going downhill poor from MS needs to disentangle levein from every comment on hearts 

19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He tends to suggest that Levein puts our young players in as a shield against criticism for bad results.

This is annoying from Stewart. He finally gave Levein credit for his game-plan in the cup final and then can't swallow the bitter taste and comes out with another hit-piece.  

Who_put_the_ball_in...

Everything he says is true. Finishing 6th and avoiding a pumping from Celtic shouldn’t be classed as some massive achievement. Anyway I look forward to finishing 6th again next season. 

132goals1958
41 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

He’s now at the stage where he’s unable to comment on Hearts without making it about Craig Levein. On sportsound they were discussing Scott Brown’s lack of class at full time,when MS piped up out of no where saying “Did Craig Levein show class when he called Derek Mcinnes a dick?” His obsession is weird

Yes it was Berra,s comments he was asked about and he changed tack completely. Brown,s actions were apparently not a hanging offence but he virtually was in self com-bust mode as he launched an attack on Levein. In fairness he avoided his favourite and oft used phrase " theyre not mutually exclusive. which at the last count was probably around the 125000 mark.

To be fair, he hasn't said anything that the majority of fans haven't. He gave credit to Levein on the way he set up against Celtic in the Cup Final.

Looking at his points individually....two sixth place finishes are correctly not good enough, especially as we're not far behind on what Aberdeen pay their players' regarding salaries and we're still ahead of what Hibs pay. You need only look at Kilmarnock to see how they've progressed in the last 18 months on nowhere near the wage-bill of Hearts.

We have regressed since Neilson left, even if we finished 6th when he left, you'd expect a place or two higher three years later surely? Not too much to ask?

We have over-spent on too many players not good enough for Hearts as well as signing too many "projects", never has been's or never will be's. I've lost count on the amount of foreign players brought in and only a very few have been worth it. We have signed some good players of course but the bad outweigh the good unfortunately.  Vanacek is the latest in a long line. If his fitness or anything else was an issue then surely he shouldn't have been signed? Does the management/coaching team actually watch players before they sign? These are all relevant questions. Are they relying on scouts' assessments too much? Are they just watching videos of  players they want to sign without checking them out in reality?

Whether Stewart has a personal vendetta or not is really quite irrelevant as some of the points he's made are there for all to see. If it isn't him saying it, it'd be someone else. The only difference is that he has the media profile to hand and regular fans like us don't.

Yes, Stewart was a bit if a dick as a player but the reality is, he hasn't said anything there that hasn't been said by fans on social media, in the pub, at home or anywhere else. Not sticking up for him but just pointing out that what he's said is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in almost three years since Neilson left.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shame that nearly every Hearts media pundit wants to stick the boot in. We had just finished 3rd and Preston was continually mentioning it was not good enough for Hearts.

Facts and figures don't seem to matter. Once we are substantially outspending the others I will agree its not good enough for Hearts.

Stevie Clarke is a fly in that ointment of course, but then coaches of his ilk are not always available.

One point I do agree with and always have done, being on the board and managing the club is a difficult mix. Something that needs to be addressed.

DoF I don't really believe is an exec role, you certainly need to liaise with the board and have a working relationship beyond a budget.

Its easy to criticise, but where might we have been if these things weren't in place. I doubt we'd actually be in that place for the likes of Stewart to be actually having a pop.

The job as a whole, pretty good I would say, lately, not very progressive. It needs to be soon, 19/20 has to deliver European football, there has to be Plan B & C, that bad luck alone does not destroy

Essentially Levein is going to have to work with the same group next season and I share the same doubts as Stewart on the prospects for improvement. No alternative than to let it play out though as Levein is going nowhere.

Most of his slavers have been mentioned on this thread, here's another one Mikey - we are not a fan ownership club. Not yet anyway, Ann Budge IS the majority shareholder not the fans.

Craig Levein assessed by ex-pro shocker. Not good enough for a team like Hearts, 6th places finishes......absolutely correct. Cathroesque.........without question. Bombproof......looks like it....stating the bloody obvious Michael, however we're absolute piss with Levein in charge as 6th place finishes and the horrendously dreadful football attests to

The bitter Poundshop pundit speaks.

Never managed in his life, assesses matches in hindsight with the aid of technology and yet poses as some sort of football genius.

Best ignored.

Stewart should look at the pure shite he, Sutherland and Thompson serve up on a weekly basis before he starts criticising other professionals.

Condemns his man management? Funny that, cos our players publicly praise it. Maybe he just didn't like you when you played under him Mikey. In fact, I'll gladly wager he didn't as not many managers you played under did. As a player, you were a billy big bollocks and an absolute welt to boot.

Cathro got sacked, not necessarily because of the form per se, but because as an unproven manager, there wasn't much to suggest that he would bring us back from it. In fact, the League Cup campaign proved that. Any club in the world will be more patient with a proven manager than an unproven manager. 

In Levein's first spell, we finished 5th in his first 2 seasons. What followed was 2 3rd placed finishes, and some fine European results. I have no doubt in my mind it will come good eventually, and that ginger ring piece will be left to eat his words.