• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, we knew that this nonsense would start as soon as the GOP gained control of the House.  They're talking about impeaching the Homeland Security Secretary over the situation on the southern border.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/17/politics/alejandro-mayorkas-house-republicans-impeachment-plans/index.html

The guy might be incompetent ... maybe he is and maybe he isn't ... but impeachment means "high crimes and misdemeanors", and no-one except the lunatic fringe of Republicans believe that.  tbf, there are a lot of Republicans in that lunatic fringe.

Only two years of this circus to go!

36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Who is Big Mike?

Wondering the same myself. I've sat here for a few minutes trying to figure out who that's supposed to be and I've still got no idea.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Santos and Trump Scandals Keep Getting Worse for GOP

Are there any commentators who don't think they're hilarious and aren't smug as ****? That wee Cohen dude is about the best I've seen and he still grates.

I must be getting old, I just want facts, delivered with a certain gravitas.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are there any commentators who don't think they're hilarious and aren't smug as ****? That wee Cohen dude is about the best I've seen and he still grates.

Meyer is a comedian and a late night host who got his start on "Weekend Update" (the news show section of Saturday Night Live). I know JFK prefers his stuff but I generally can't sit through it, although it's miles better than Maher at least.

I don't do YouTube in general (not a snobby thing, I just absorb stuff better reading it myself) but Amy Goodman from Democracy Now! can feel like a bit much of perpetual moral outrage and is staunchly leftist so may not be everyone's favorite, but she's a very good presenter.

NowThis News is mostly designed to go viral so take with a grain of salt but I generally don't see them posting unsubstantiated shite.

https://www.youtube.com/c/nowthisnews/videos

The PBS NewsHour is also notoriously a bit stodgy but it's always been no frills straight talk.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PBSNewsHour/videos

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

This is where I'm at too!
Btw absolutely no disrespect to JFK or others posting them coz they are often useful springboards to other info about the stories BUT the style grates, just don't find the guy anywhere near as funny as he finds himself, and impressions he does are in the Frank Spencer Ooooh Betty! kinda range.
So on balance I guess keep it up JFK! 🙂

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

He's a comedian who worked on SNL. :berra:

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He's a comedian who worked on SNL. :berra:

I know, I don't have a problem with him, but I wouldn't want him reading the news. He's better than most, I'm just getting a bit radio 4 in my old age!

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Btw absolutely no disrespect to JFK or others posting them coz they are often useful springboards to other info about the stories BUT the style grates, just don't find the guy anywhere near as funny as he finds himself, and impressions he does are in the Frank Spencer Ooooh Betty! kinda range.

Aye, I'm always appreciative of JFK's posts on the topic

33 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Must remember to bet on The Don next year.

So what's new, apparently Trump passed a college entrance exam, wasn't there to take the test, somebody else sat it in his name.

Putin and the Presidents (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

FRONTLINE investigates Russian President Vladimir Putin’s clashes with five American presidents as he’s tried to rebuild the Russian empire.

Drawing on in-depth conversations with insiders from five U.S. presidential administrations, former U.S. intelligence leaders, diplomats, Russian politicians, authors and journalists, “Putin and the Presidents” reveals how the miscalculations and missteps of multiple American presidents over two decades paved the way for Putin’s attack on Ukraine — as seen through the eyes of people who were in the room.

The documentary traces how, prior to launching the war on Ukraine, Putin tested the waters by defying American presidents for 20 years — including by invading Georgia, seizing Crimea, and interfering in a U.S. presidential election. The documentary provides unique insight into the icy relationship between Putin and current U.S. President Joe Biden, both of whom were shaped by the Cold War, and into the evolution of Putin’s grievances with the U.S. and the West.

As Russia’s war on Ukraine continues, “Putin and the Presidents” gives essential context for this historic moment.

19 hours ago, Smithee said:

Matter of taste I suppose, I find Seth Meyers hilarious but just as importantly he's often actually delivering new and interesting information to me in between the comedy. And I have come to think in this day and age that it can sometimes take a comedian to spotlight the utter absurdity of the current Republican party.

I also find his digs at Biden funny. 

33 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Matter of taste I suppose, I find Seth Meyers hilarious but just as importantly he's often actually delivering new and interesting information to me in between the comedy. And I have come to think in this day and age that it can sometimes take a comedian to spotlight the utter absurdity of the current Republican party.

I also find his digs at Biden funny. 

I get that, but I just want to keep up with what's going on. I'm not looking for personality, or satire, or wit, just facts and sober analysis from people who know what they're talking about.

You're right, it's definitely taste, at the end of the day I don't want entertained while I'm learning, it's just distracting to me.

And let's be honest, all it takes is a description to spotlight the utter absurdity of the republicans!

I still appreciate the links, but let me know if you find anything dry and factual 👍

The Frontline documentary I posted above has chapters detailing Putin's dealings with each US President, beginning with Clinton through to Biden.

In the Trump chapter it's stated that Putin thought Trump was a complete idiot and easily manipulated, hardly surprising, he is, and Putin played him like a puppet to such an extent Trump was parroting Putin's lines like the bird brain he is.

"Ukraine isn't a real country" for just one of many. Trump was effectively helping to facilitate Putin's foreign policy agenda.

I have put a list below with clickable links that can take you to a relevant chapter for people who may have more of an interest in Putin dealings with a specific President. Incidentally Clinton figured Putin out from day one, as did Biden. 

Putin and the Fall of the Soviet Union - 2:21

President Clinton Meets Russia’s New President: Vladimir Putin - 4:40

Putin Sees President Bush’s Agenda to Spread Democracy as a Threat - 8:35

Putin’s ‘Red Line’ & the 2008 Russian Invasion of Georgia - 16:38

President Obama’s Relationship with Putin - 20:59

Vice President Biden and Putin: Shaped by the Cold War - 22:52

Russia Seizes Crimea From Ukraine in 2014 - 28:11

Russia’s Interference in the 2016 U.S. Election - 33:00

Putin and President Trump - 35:30

Putin, President Biden and Russia’s 2022 Invasion of Ukraine - 41:25

Seems a decision on indictments in the Georgia case is imminent and hints of multiple indictments, multiple people indicted. I had forgotten about some of the crazy shit Trump ranted on that phone call, remembered him saying just find me 11,780 votes.

Let's presume Trump knows he's talking utter shit, can we presume him to have at least that level of sanity? So he's on a phone call to these guys for an hour haranguing them with this mindless drivel both he and they know is mindless drivel.

What was it Trump was looking for here? Expecting? Does he really expect these guys to just jump into his fantasy? Become believers? Towards the end when it's clear they will not he tries some intimidation. Says what they're doing is illegal, could get into big trouble. They didn't buy that either.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Seems a decision on indictments in the Georgia case is imminent and hints of multiple indictments, multiple people indicted. I had forgotten about some of the crazy shit Trump ranted on that phone call, remembered him saying just find me 11,780 votes.

Let's presume Trump knows he's talking utter shit, can we presume him to have at least that level of sanity? So he's on a phone call to these guys for an hour haranguing them with this mindless drivel both he and they know is mindless drivel.

What was it Trump was looking for here? Expecting? Does he really expect these guys to just jump into his fantasy? Become believers? Towards the end when it's clear they will not he tries some intimidation. Says what they're doing is illegal, could get into big trouble. They didn't buy that either.

Got to hope that he gets nailed on this. Listening to the call just reminds you of what a tedious blowhard Trump is

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Got to hope that he gets nailed on this. Listening to the call just reminds you of what a tedious blowhard Trump is

Some knowledgeable people think Trump "and others" are now guaranteed to be indicted. And I doubt they would be indicting him unless they were super confident they can nail him. You think he's a tedious blowhard now? Imagine a Trump who wriggled out of this in a criminal trial.

And at the end of the day, he's obviously guilty beyond any doubt far less reasonable, he's recorded trying to overthrow an election with internet conspiracy shite and threats. I also suspect Rudy Giuliani may have flipped and struck a deal. Maybe others too. Rudy will be 79 in May, you think he's so crazy he will die in prison for Trump?

Edited by JFK-1

On 24/01/2023 at 11:06, RobboM said:

Just to clarify I don’t want to run down JFK either. I’m not a fan of Meyers in these instances but that’s likely just me getting old like Smithee. I tend to read my news so my links will usually be to written stuff, but plenty may not like that.

Just personal taste, JFK posts good solid info.

If/when Trump is indicted on this Seth Meyers may become redundant, I will be the one cracking the jokes. Georgia and the documents case look cut and dried, the wider Jan 6th conspiracy far more complex to break down.

If they can nail Trump on Georgia first which looks a certainty, he's on tape trying to overthrow an election for crying out loud. If they can do that well it's a component of the entire conspiracy, and he will be nailed on everything.

In his lifetime Trump has been involved in a staggering number of court cases, well over 4,000

He always wriggled out of it by simply delay delay delay, till people became tired of it and contesting him just became too expensive. But that was all civil cases, in a civil case there are many avenues to delay and disrupt indefinitely.

But not in a criminal case, once you're charged that's it, you're heading for court to testify under oath. Trump has no way out of any of this, or at least not that I can see. Beyond what I have mentioned before, insanity plea.

7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If/when Trump is indicted on this Seth Meyers may become redundant, I will be the one cracking the jokes. Georgia and the documents case look cut and dried, the wider Jan 6th conspiracy far more complex to break down.

If they can nail Trump on Georgia first which looks a certainty, he's on tape trying to overthrow an election for crying out loud. If they can do that well it's a component of the entire conspiracy, and he will be nailed on everything.

In his lifetime Trump has been involved in a staggering number of court cases, well over 4,000

He always wriggled out of it by simply delay delay delay, till people became tired of it and contesting him just became too expensive. But that was all civil cases, in a civil case there are many avenues to delay and disrupt indefinitely.

But not in a criminal case, once you're charged that's it, you're heading for court to testify under oath. Trump has no way out of any of this, or at least not that I can see. Beyond what I have mentioned before, insanity plea.

I don't know enough about the subject to argue but do you think Trump will end up in court, I think he should but will he?

13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't know enough about the subject to argue but do you think Trump will end up in court, I think he should but will he?

Definitely. The Georgia prosecutor has pretty much revealed she's about to issue multiple indictments, which she was forced into revealing. She had to reveal it because she had to ask a judge to keep the report on the entire case private for now.

If that were revealed now, before she's ready to issue her indictments, targets and their lawyers would see it, know the evidence she's about to produce. And at this stage that's not a good idea for a prosecutor. She's going to indict multiple people, Trump has to be one of them.

It would be farcical if she indicted just Giuliani and others while letting Trump and his seditious phone call slide. He can't get out of this.  

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Definitely. The Georgia prosecutor has pretty much revealed she's about to issue multiple indictments, which she was forced into revealing. She had to reveal it because she had to ask a judge to keep the report on the entire case private for now.

If that were revealed now, before she's ready to issue her indictments, targets and their lawyers would see it, know the evidence she's about to produce. And at this stage that's not a good idea for a prosecutor. She's going to indict multiple people, Trump has to be one of them.

It would be farcical if she indicted just Giuliani and others while letting Trump and his seditious phone call slide. He can't get out of this.  

👍 I hope you're right.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍 I hope you're right.

Trump knows it's coming too, which is why he's absolutely bricking it with his insane rants on troof soshul. I'm wondering if that type of insanity will continue after the indictment, which would be just as insane.

Absolutely no one else roped into these various cases has been saying anything at all in months, because their lawyers will have told them, say nothing. I expect Trump has been told that too, but impulsive simpleton that he is he just can't stop it. If Trump testifies in court he will talk himself into jail, he's seriously that stupid.

He's already said things that were simply more evidence against him, can't decide if he will listen to the sound legal advice after an indictment. But have my doubts, he will want to whine like a bitch to the trumpets, it's what he does, all he does.

Trump, who liked to portray himself as a tough guy, a fat septuagenarian tough guy, is to me patently mentally weak. He's lived a life in which he thought he could do anything he wanted regardless of laws, laws are for the commoners, not Trump. That apparently even included rape.

In office he just continued that, flouted any laws or conventions he found inconvenient, the Whitehouse was a crime scene from virtually day one. Was impeached early in his tenure and should have been removed for that crime, but this is the current Republican party, corrupt to the core.

So even at that level Trump was still getting away with anything he wanted to. So I suppose it's hardly surprising he thought he could get away with a coup, why not, he's untouchable. But now, suddenly, he isn't.

I think Trump is exceptionally mentally weak, and the stress of facing reality in the twilight of his life could totally send him over the edge. We might not have seen the craziest of him yet.

Andrew Weissmann, former FBI general counsel and senior member of of Robert Mueller's special counsel team, talks with Alex Wagner about revelations in new reporting by the New York Times into how Bill Barr used his position as attorney general to provide political cover for Donald Trump through the John Durham special counsel investigation of the Russia investigation.

I think it's insane how Barr personally "travelled the world" seeking evidence of a "deep state" plot alleged by Trump and allegedly suspected by Barr to discredit Trump with the Russia investigation.

On one of the "investigative" trips to Italy the Italians told him look that's a lot of conspiracy bullshit you're looking for here, non existent internet shite.

But we do have something that may be of interest to you, you being the Attorney General of the US and all. And what they gave him was evidence of "suspicious international financial dealings related to Trump"

Barr decided to keep that quiet and no charges were pressed, while going to extraordinary lengths to pursue qanon level conspiracy theories. My thoughts are is he as crazy as Trump? Or is he just a spineless lackey who carried out this ludicrous investigation just to mollify Trump.

Either way it's pathetic and should mark him out as one of the worst ever to have occupied the office, hardly surprising given who made him AG, Trump isn't known for seeking competence.

I don't think Barr has done anything illegal, but he's definitely been derelict in carrying out his duty and ethically questionable at best.

After nearly four years, prosecutor John Durham's work on if there was any wrongdoing behind the investigation into the 2016 Trump campaign’s ties to Russia is coming to an end.

How Barr's quest to find flaws in the Russia inquiry unraveled

Fair comment, Murdoch is almost like a James Bond villain.

Americans are 'brainwashed' by info-tainment news

"That's the problem now, you end up with 70 million people voting for Donald Trump based on a lie."

The American info-tainment news are 'brainwashing' the population, explains Anthony Davis, host of Five Minute News.

19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Fair comment, Murdoch is almost like a James Bond villain.

Americans are 'brainwashed' by info-tainment news

"That's the problem now, you end up with 70 million people voting for Donald Trump based on a lie."

The American info-tainment news are 'brainwashing' the population, explains Anthony Davis, host of Five Minute News.

People want to be 'brainwashed'. It's that easy. Actually, it's not brainwashing, it's what they want to here. It's justification of their own opinions. 

Righteous/ness of/for their God. 

Edited by ri Alban

On 28/01/2023 at 09:53, JFK-1 said:

I think it's insane how Barr personally "travelled the world" seeking evidence of a "deep state" plot alleged by Trump and allegedly suspected by Barr to discredit Trump with the Russia investigation.

On one of the "investigative" trips to Italy the Italians told him look that's a lot of conspiracy bullshit you're looking for here, non existent internet shite.

But we do have something that may be of interest to you, you being the Attorney General of the US and all. And what they gave him was evidence of "suspicious international financial dealings related to Trump"

Barr decided to keep that quiet and no charges were pressed, while going to extraordinary lengths to pursue qanon level conspiracy theories. My thoughts are is he as crazy as Trump? Or is he just a spineless lackey who carried out this ludicrous investigation just to mollify Trump.

Either way it's pathetic and should mark him out as one of the worst ever to have occupied the office, hardly surprising given who made him AG, Trump isn't known for seeking competence.

I don't think Barr has done anything illegal, but he's definitely been derelict in carrying out his duty and ethically questionable at best.

After nearly four years, prosecutor John Durham's work on if there was any wrongdoing behind the investigation into the 2016 Trump campaign’s ties to Russia is coming to an end.

How Barr's quest to find flaws in the Russia inquiry unraveled

Wow. Astonishing and under the radar for the most part.
Seeing how Trump has been fined in court for malicious and time wasting legal disputes maybe this one should go on the bill too for Barr?

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

People want to be 'brainwashed'. It's that easy. Actually, it's not brainwashing, it's what they want to here. It's justification of their own opinions. 

Righteous/ness of/for their God. 

Doing risk/safety studies and operational training for our crews we have a term for that. 'Confirmation Bias'. 

There is a problem in front of you, you have some sort of evidence, mostly to the contrary, but you skew it to suit the answer you've already decided in your head, and so you are no longer open to other opinions on the issue at hand. Three Mile Island is still a case study on this. 

When we consider human factors in incidents, its a tragically all too common occurrence. 

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Doing risk/safety studies and operational training for our crews we have a term for that. 'Confirmation Bias'. 

There is a problem in front of you, you have some sort of evidence, mostly to the contrary, but you skew it to suit the answer you've already decided in your head, and so you are no longer open to other opinions on the issue at hand. Three Mile Island is still a case study on this. 

When we consider human factors in incidents, its a tragically all too common occurrence. 

YouTube is their friend. Flat earth seems to be a growing business. But it's the CTs that's the biggest problem. Everything is deep state and Government behaviour does nothing to put out the fire. Then along comes the likes of  Trump and Johnson to take control through absolute insanity. Empty head syndrome.

Edited by ri Alban

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

YouTube is their friend. Flat earth seems to be a growing business. But it's the CTs that's the biggest problem. Everything is deep state and Government behaviour does nothing to put out the fire. Then along comes the likes of  Trump and Johnson to take control through absolute insanity. Empty head syndrome.

The irony

11 hours ago, RobboM said:

Wow. Astonishing and under the radar for the most part.
Seeing how Trump has been fined in court for malicious and time wasting legal disputes maybe this one should go on the bill too for Barr?

Here's what gets me about it, is Barr truly wacko like Trump? If sane,  surely it must have been humiliating travelling to other countries, UK and Italy were mentioned as just two destinations. And asking their intelligence services for evidence of what every rational person sitting on their couch already knows is simple minded conspiracy bullshit.

They have the gall, or the insanity? To go to foreign intelligence agencies with this infantile crap?

Who will respond with you're kidding me right? You could be no more messing with us if you came here asking us to help you find evidence of fairies. You think we're simple minded crazy?

Yet the head of the DOJ did this, when typically the head of the DOJ would never be dealing with any individual case, far less an insane conspiracy theory. Tack on the fact he then failed to follow up on the Italian evidence of Trump being involved in criminal international financial dealings.

I bet the Italians loved that bit, you yanks come here talking to us as if we're infants, but tell you what. I wasn't ever going to tell you about this, but since you're here I will, your president is an international criminal, here's the evidence.

What a slap in the face that must have been, no fairies here, but let me give you a dose of reality, you can thank us later.

Trump ATTACKS Reporter who destroyed him LIVE on Fox

Trump lashed out on a Fox panelist who exposed how destructive his policies were for the economy.

So fire starting Jewish space laser believer Marjorie Taylor Greene is reportedly angling for the VP ticket on a Trump 2024 campaign, and allegedly Trump is up for that too. Imagine that governing, crazy and crazier, neither of whom have any interest in governing.

Here's another thing this wacko did some may be unaware of. She was a follower of the Alex Jones sandyhook school massacre conspiracy, 100% in. At least Jones is starting to face some form of retribution.

This bitch filmed herself harassing a 16 year old survivor of the shooting calling him a liar. A woman in her 40's abusing a 16 year old survivor of a massacre. That was just a few years ago, because just a few years ago she was just an extremist right wing troll on Facebook.

The American dream, nightmare in this instance, come true. Now this wacko is owning the Republicans and eyeing up VP. Facebook troll to VP of the US in just a few years.  All polls appear to suggest Trump would win the nomination.

As for winning a presidential election, crazy Trump and even crazier MGT, surely not even in this country. And there's also the likelihood of Trump being indicted.

Wonder what if any effect that might have on people who would vote for crazy and crazier as details of Trumps activities are revealed in courtrooms. No effect on some, but how many? And would adding crazier to the package be a step too far for some.

The GOP's embrace of Marjorie Taylor Greene

Mind when everyone thought the CIA took out Kennedy and more. :rofl:If that was true Trump and his acolytes would be missing their heads. 

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Here's what gets me about it, is Barr truly wacko like Trump? If sane,  surely it must have been humiliating travelling to other countries, UK and Italy were mentioned as just two destinations. And asking their intelligence services for evidence of what every rational person sitting on their couch already knows is simple minded conspiracy bullshit.

It's baffling but I guess you have to be a long way through the looking glass anyway to come into a post in Trump's world. Once there there is maybe a vanity or certainty that somewhere there is the iota of truth that justifies your own existence. How do you back down from that starting point?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)