U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Ribble said:

I actually like the look of Warren out of those declared so far but if Saunders runs again then I fear they will be too similar and both going for the same voters creating a split and knocking them both out. 

Warren  would be hillary mark 2. Nothing to do with her gender but because she shares the same identity politics focus. Saunders however admirable to the liberal left is unelectable. The Democrats need to use a bit more imagination.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Warren  would be hillary mark 2. Nothing to do with her gender but because she shares the same identity politics focus. Saunders however admirable to the liberal left is unelectable. The Democrats need to use a bit more imagination.

:rofl:

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

By my count, that's now six witches arrested as a result of the Special Counsel investigation.

He won't be the last.

That'll make it a Coven of Witches then.

I know the perfect guy who'll sort this kinda thing out.

image.png.b34436feff268f8a080d08f15fa75e2d.png

And if he's not available then this guy is equally as good.

image.png.4ba371c89e74cc98784d3431d1d23ee2.png

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Perceptive bit of analysis and argument there UA. 

Do you think either Warren or Saunders would be the best Democratic choice to run next year?

3 hours ago, Barack said:

Did find it weird, that a whole tactical squad, along with normally dressed FBI Agent's, showed up. 

Wasn't aware Stone was some kind of Crime Lord. :lol: Seemed a bit overkill that. 

Well, given that he's allegedly at the center of a plot by a foreign power to subvert democracy, partially funded by organized crime, it's kind of a big deal.

His best defense now is that he's a serial liar and that everything he was claiming on the record to journalists, Trump staffers, and sundry pundits was just spin.

This could actually be convincing, as he's widely known as one of the most cynical political operatives in the country, with nothing too low for him to stoop to.

Anyway, Stone has been the one keystone figure everyone's been watching from the beginning, along with Manafort. At this point between Cohen, Manafort, Gates, Papadapoulous, and now Stone, they've drawn a ring around Trump's inner circle. There's nowhere to go from here but into his immediate family. As I think I mentioned above, Marcy Wheeler thinks Don Jr. is the one most in the crosshairs. The question now becomes, what has the highly nepotistic President done to try to protect him from prosecution.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Do you think either Warren or Saunders would be the best Democratic choice to run next year?

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Warren, maybe, Sanders, no. But your equating Warren and Clinton is on-the-face ridiculous.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

Warren, maybe, Sanders, no. But your equating Warren and Clinton is on-the-face ridiculous.

It may be ridiculous to you. But to voters? One of my abiding memories of the last campaign was Hillary and Elizabeth dancing around a stage together in matching pant suits doing that ridiculous thing politicians do these days, pointing randomly at members of the audience as though they had just spotted a long lost friend.

The Democrats IMO need a candidate who is not so clearly identified as a right on liberal from the coasts. Someone who can credibly talk to the voters in the rust belt and the midwest and the south (the flyover states). Whoever opposes Trump will carry the coastal states. The Democrats need to threaten Trump on his own ground. Of course I don't mean replicating his schtick but offering a credible alternative to the Trump voters. Warren simply won't do that.

32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It may be ridiculous to you. But to voters? One of my abiding memories of the last campaign was Hillary and Elizabeth dancing around a stage together in matching pant suits doing that ridiculous thing politicians do these days, pointing randomly at members of the audience as though they had just spotted a long lost friend.

The Democrats IMO need a candidate who is not so clearly identified as a right on liberal from the coasts. Someone who can credibly talk to the voters in the rust belt and the midwest and the south (the flyover states). Whoever opposes Trump will carry the coastal states. The Democrats need to threaten Trump on his own ground. Of course I don't mean replicating his schtick but offering a credible alternative to the Trump voters. Warren simply won't do that.

So in other words they are visually similar to you. You know nothing about the policies they promote, and are just speaking entirely on "optics."

Cool. Now shut up.

Francis Albert
Just now, Ugly American said:

So in other words they are visually similar to you. You know nothing about the policies they promote, and are just speaking entirely on "optics."

Cool. Now shut up.

And thats the myopic reaction that means Trump might just get a second term. SHUT UP is not a persuasive argument..

The shutdown has been absolutely brutal on the economy and on federal workers as well as federal contractors. But at least it's also been brutal on the Senate GOP and Trump himself.

The ****er is still threatening that he'll shut it down again in three weeks. Will be interesting (to say the least) to see what the Senate GOP does in that case. One would think they'd break with him but I thought they'd break with him long ago so I've given up on that hope.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Cool. Now shut up.

And you think optics don't matter in American politics?

Just now, Francis Albert said:

And you think optics don't matter in American politics?

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Go away.

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Go away.

Another perceptive contribution. You don't like people having a different opinion.from you do you?

I don't want trump to have a second term. Neither do you. We just differ on the best hope for avoiding that.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Now, y8ou need to listen to me instead of wasting your time and energy.

Just saying.

The censor speaks.

Francis Albert

And for the thick of thinking if it was a choice between warren and trump i would  vote unhesitatingly and eagerly for warren. In fact the same would apply to almost any conceivable Trump opponent. It does not follow that warren is the most likely,or even likely, to defeat Trump.

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Now, you need to listen to me instead of wasting your time and energy.

Just saying.

Its ok (though imo a bit sad) to ignore posters but to mount a campaign for others to ignore another poster is more than sad.

30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Another perceptive contribution. You don't like people having a different opinion.from you do you?

I don't want trump to have a second term. Neither do you. We just differ on the best hope for avoiding that.

I quoted you contradicting yourself within the span of an hour in order to keep up your pretense of being the reasonable scold. You don't actually have an opinion, you just pose as having one. Arguing with you is less interesting or informative than arguing with a twitter bot.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I quoted you contradicting yourself within the span of an hour in order to keep up your pretense of being the reasonable scold. You don't actually have an opinion, you just pose as having one. Arguing with you is less interesting or informative than arguing with a twitter bot.

How did I contradict myself? I don't see  any contradiction in the two posts you quoted.

Oh and WTF is a "reasonable scold"?

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Linkies?

Only thing I find, is Trump saying he's reached a deal.

I watched the talk, I am not aware there was a deal. My understanding is that both parties have agreed to have Government reopened for three weeks. During that time discussions will be held between the parties to see if an agreement on Border Security can be negotiated. My opinion from the comments made by the President when he went off sc ript was that if he did not get what he wants, to wit a wall there will be no "deal" and he will close government again and use his powers  to declare an emergency.

3 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I watched the talk, I am not aware there was a deal. My understanding is that both parties have agreed to have Government reopened for three weeks. During that time discussions will be held between the parties to see if an agreement on Border Security can be negotiated. My opinion from the comments made by the President when he went off sc ript was that if he did not get what he wants, to wit a wall there will be no "deal" and he will close government again and use his powers  to declare an emergency.

The "deal" is that he agreed to exactly what Democrats have been asking him to agree to, and which the Senate unanimously voted for just before the new year before Stephen Miller and Fox News flipped out and told Trump he had to demand wall funding. It's to open the government first, negotiate border security later.

They have three weeks. The Democrats aren't going to give him a wall, at least not without major concessions on other things (like DREAMers, etc.). So we may actually have another shutdown, although I'd guess that's unlikely.

32 minutes ago, Barack said:

How are FOX taking this...?

Ann Coulter is predictably throwing a tantrum. Bill O'Reilly (no longer at Fox of course but) is saying Trump's playing 12-dimensional chess or something.

You have to admire Trump for his brilliance and obviously high level of education. He commented on coyotes bringing women over the border. He stated without fear of contradiction that these women were tied up with tape  over their nose and mouth and they couldn't even breathe. Nothing like an intellectual  President and the internet to provide you with high level information. I take it for sure that was not part of what his writers had put on the teleprompter.

Just when you think he cannot get more stupid he comes up with that gem.

I will be surprised if Colbert lets that pass tonight.

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Kirsten Gillibrand at odds of 20-1 or 40-1 next POTUS ?

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Now, you need to listen to me instead of wasting your time and energy.

Just saying.

And if you won't do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us who don't want to read the deluge of bullshit but can't avoid it when it gets quoted, eh?

I hope that everyone is feeling sorry for the Con-Man.

For the entire duration of the shutdown, he didn't get to play a round of golf ... the longest golf-free period of his Presidency.

AWWW.  Poor Donald.  ?

Kalamazoo Jambo

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is considering running as a centrist independent Presidential candidate in 2020. Sounds like a great way to re-elect Trump.

15 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is considering running as a centrist independent Presidential candidate in 2020. Sounds like a great way to re-elect Trump.

Yup.

Good news for the Republicans if this character proceeds with his plan.

18 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Because the current experiment with a billionaire President with no political experience is going great.

Speaking of, I'm tired of winning.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/1-5-trillion-tax-cut-had-no-major-impact-business-n963411

The Trump administration's $1.5 trillion tax cut package appeared to have no major impact on businesses' capital investment or hiring plans, according to a survey released a year after the biggest overhaul of the tax code in more than 30 years.

The National Association of Business Economics' quarterly business conditions poll, published on Monday, found that while some companies reported accelerating investments because of lower corporate taxes, 84 percent of respondents said they had not changed plans. That compares to 81 percent in the previous survey published in October.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/u-s-economy-permanently-lost-3b-from-shutdown-cbo-finds

The U.S. economy permanently lost about $3 billion from the 35-day federal government shutdown, according to a new report from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

The study finds that roughly $3 billion was removed from the gross domestic product in the fourth quarter of last year and an additional $8 billion was removed this month. The CBO estimates that $8 billion of that total will return to the economy now that government workers will get back pay.

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

But but but, I heard some bint say on the TV months ago that Trump had created something like 20 Million new jobs.

You mean she was wrong?

J.T.F.Robertson

We all surely know that the "captains of industry's" main concern is the creation of jobs which will benefit the masses and has nothing to do with simply sticking their well earned tax breaks in their back sky rockets.

Surely? 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)