Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

My take of Meuller's statement, is that they are saying they have not received the information the way Buzzfeed described it.  

I also agree with Bobsharp that they are putting out a statement to tell everyone that the Buzzfeed reports did not come from Mueller's team.

I think it is also to stop the media frenzy calling for more investigations before he is finished his own one.

Marcy Wheeler, who is about as sharp and no BS on all of this as anyone, has as good an explanation as any -- different priorities, different witnesses, and different strategies between the Mueller investigation, which is looking into obstruction of justice and Russia, and the US Attorney's office for the Southern District of New York, which is looking into the various pay-to-play allegations involving Trump Tower. The two offices can't cooperate, so the Carr statement from Mueller's office seems to be a kind of oblique signaling.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/19/peter-carr-speaks/

So outlets that are suggesting that Mueller’s pushback backs off any evidence that Trump committed a crime make no more sense than the original Buzzfeed report (and ignore the actual evidence of how Cohen’s lies evolved, an evolution in which these outlets were active participants). The only thing that explains Carr issuing such an unprecedented statement is if Cohen’s ability to testify on the stand must be preserved.

Robert Mueller has the unenviable task of needing to sustain as much credibility for a bunch of serial liars as possible, starting with Michael Cohen. Buzzfeed’s story — whether generally true or erroneous on details about Trump Organization witnesses or totally wrong — threatened that effort.

And that’s why, I strongly suspect, Peter Carr finally publicly spoke.

What I read as the undercurrent of what she sees happening is that the loop is growing tighter around Don Jr., and given the President's now famous tendency to sacrifice anyone and everyone to protect his inner circle, that's gonna get interesting.

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are the democrats as bad as Labour  are in opposition? Or do the people have more faith in them.

Congressional Democrats have been, for the most almost but not quite entirely useless for about 20 years now. The one notable exception would be when Pelosi had control of the House between 2007-2011.

However, between 2010 and 2016 a lot of the most useless and spineless "centrists" lost their seats, and the wave of 2018 brought in some new centrists but also a lot of no nonsense activists who are wasting little time in taking names. Also, Pelosi gets a lot of hate from the right wing (surprise surprise) but she's an extremely effective parliamentarian, as the shutdown has shown. As for Schumer, well, this Onion article (a parody newspaper in case some don't know) sums it up perfectly:

https://politics.theonion.com/chuck-schumer-honestly-pretty-amazed-he-hasn-t-caved-ye-1831768383

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Meanwhile, Rudy tries desperately to clean up his mess. Again.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/426320-giuliani-says-his-comments-on-trump-tower-talks-were-hypothetical

His next interview, should be in full clown costume. Might lessen the blows.

Aside from the Cohen tampering Giuliani has put another hand grenade in Trump's bs written submission to Mueller - his client was talking to Putin about a Moscow hotel right up to election day. Rudy unmasking Trump lies.

Edited by JackLadd

I watched Rudy's interview on Sunday, the thing that struck me was that he, as do others seem to have a strategy of not stopping talking when interviewed. More than once when a question was being attempted Rudy would say let me finish, and keep on talking. This may be a good method of avoiding questions they don't want to answer, but what I see with Rudy is he gets carried away, and in his effort to avoid the questions keeps talking and goes off script, and says things he knows but is not supposed to mention. He definitely and I heard him say it at one point, the President acknowledged that he had been in discussions about the Russian deal until the day he won. The only real question now is why the hell would a man with the superior intellect claimed by Trump keep this bumbling old fool on the payroll.

The one thing that is difficult about getting up the road of old age, is to realise you are on it, your mind, your reflexes and your thought process may be adequate, but are probably not good enough for the big leagues.

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, Barack said:

Kamala Harris, announces her candidacy, to run for the Democratic Presidential nomination, in 2020.

On Martin Luther King Day.

:spoton:

Who?

30 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Who?

Former Attorney General of California who ought to appeal to right wing bootlickers thanks to her really pretty disgusting practices as a former prosecutor.

But she's black and female, so forget about that.

On 18/01/2019 at 21:28, redjambo said:

"Nastya Rybka: Russia seizes model who made Trump collusion claim"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46922420

Probably putting 2+2 and getting 5 but wonder if Rybka’s information would have been corroboration of what Cohen has said and her arrest may have put a spanner in the works as I fully expect her to be ‘lost’ in the Russian penal system.

I know how Mr President loves tweeting. I thought he could maybe tweet a nice message about Tony Foulds.  A real class act.

Auto correct needs a slap.

Edited by ri Alban

So Fox news just came out with the now traditional Breaking News thing. Apparently another North Korean nuclear missile base has been discovered, that makes twenty undisclosed missile bases that have been found. On Saturday President Trump announced another Summit with Kim with whom he claims to be making progress and how much they both like each other.

When Fox news break it it must be seen as important, despite the fac t that North Korea have made deals numerous times all that fell apart. Tell me it is not a screwed up world when two of the worlds biggest liars are praising each other, and one lying through his teeth to the other one who claims to be the greatest deal maker.

How can any rational person have anything good to say about Trump, the man is dishonest, has surrounded himself with people of the same ilk, he has denied all the Americans good allies, and kissed ass of their biggest enemies and threats, and he still has support.

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Former Attorney General of California who ought to appeal to right wing bootlickers thanks to her really pretty disgusting practices as a former prosecutor.

Yep. I was very interested in her for 2020 because she had some decent policy proposals on things like poverty and such but everyone I know who works on overpolicing and excessive incarceration says she's was absolutely brutal as CA's AG.

I mean I know as a black female politician she probably felt like she had to do that to not get pidgeonholed but it's no profile in courage.

Meanwhile Rudy Giuliani just up and said something about tapes on a live interview -- tapes the public didn't know existed until he opened his mouth. If there's one thing the Trump administration is doing, it's proving that the rich and powerful don't always get that way because they're clever or good at their jobs.

Craig Gordons Gloves
12 hours ago, Justin Z said:

So that's her, Gillibrand, Warren,  Castro, Gabbard, Delaney and Ojeda who've announced while 'bigger' names such as Biden, Klobuchar, Booker and a few others are still to announce their plans. Klobuchar is speaking at my office on Friday, i wonder if she'll announce then :)

Seems to me that the Dem's are going the same route as the GOP for 2016, with 101 candidates to start with. Obviously not all will make it to the primaries but it's interesting to see so many declare so soon.  What would be really good would be to see a republican challenge Trump for the nomination. 

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Genuinely dunno who'll get this one. No-one jumping out.

This is the concern for me. That said, I didn't know who Obama was at this stage of the process 10 years ago so you never know what'll happen.

Edited by Stokesy

3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

This is the concern for me. That said, I didn't know who Obama was at this stage of the process 10 years ago so you never know what'll happen.

I think it needs to stay wide just now. 

Hilary was turned into a monster by the GOP, Fox et al because she assumed to be the candidate as early as 2009. The size od Sanders challenge was completely unexpected. 

Trump can tweet a lot but if he has to direct his fire across multiple targets, it's naturally less effective. 

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

I think it needs to stay wide just now. 

Hilary was turned into a monster by the GOP, Fox et al because she assumed to be the candidate as early as 2009. The size od Sanders challenge was completely unexpected. 

Trump can tweet a lot but if he has to direct his fire across multiple targets, it's naturally less effective. 

I'd agree -- honestly I don't think the early early media coverage does the country any favors. Right now the candidates have to announce to raise money, but frankly what they need to be doing is lining up local endorsements and sounding out the party's respected leaders for how to shape their platforms. 

Honestly the whole field right now looks stocked with great VP and cabinet possibilities but no top of the ticket leaders. I know people who are very impressed by Klobuchar -- if she's going to pull it off she needs to win Iowa (right next to Minnesota, where she's from), and then keep it close in one and win the other of South Carolina and Nevada.

9 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

There was an interesting article on 538 that charted her approval ratings. She was way over 60% before suddenly dropping to around 40%. The drop coincided with her announcing that she was going to run for president and Fox News et al launching smear campaign after smear campaign against her.

Will grass roots American voters ever wake up to the fact that Trump is a con-man?

He said he would build a wall "from sea to shining sea" (2,000 miles), but the current uproar over $5.7 billion is to provide a mere 200 miles of wall.

He said Mexico will pay for his border wall, now he says American tax-payers should pay for it.

He said that his new trade deal with Mexico will provide the billions to pay for the wall, but NAFTA is still in effect and the new trade deal could be years away from being implemented, and might never be implemented.

He said that Americans would "win so often that they'll get fed up winning", and now he has partially shut down the government plunging 800,000 families into financial crisis. 

Since Inauguration Day, he has publicly told over 8,000 lies according to an independent fact checker.

If he is still President on election day in 2020, I hope that he gets embarrassed. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, Maple Leaf said:

He said that his new trade deal with Mexico will provide the billions to pay for the wall, but NAFTA is still in effect and the new trade deal could be years away from being implemented, and might never be implemented.

On top of this - even if the new trade deal (which is really just a slightly revamped NAFTA anyway) gets approved,  the idea that it would create billions that the government could use for the wall is simply not true.

Michael Cohen postpones his hearing in Congress, due to the fears for their lives of his family and father in law. These fears have been the result of tweets by President Trump that are seen as threats against the family.

Most people would be happy achieving the position of president but Trump has his remaining ambition to be the Godfather.

Craig Gordons Gloves
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Will grass roots American voters ever wake up to the fact that Trump is a con-man?

He said he would build a wall "from sea to shining sea" (2,000 miles), but the current uproar over $5.7 billion is to provide a mere 200 miles of wall.

He said Mexico will pay for his border wall, now he says American tax-payers should pay for it.

He said that Americans would "win so often that they'll get fed up winning", and now he has partially shut down the government plunging 800,000 families into financial crisis. 

Since Inauguration Day, he has publicly told over 8,000 lies according to an independent fact checker.

If he is still President on election day in 2020, I hope that he gets embarrassed. 

ML - do you have a link for this? Cheers!

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The problem is that so many people are so entrenched in their views that their willingly ignorant. Couple that with the anti-politics narrative of Trump and celebrity status, it drew in people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in politics. 

The real concern for me isn't so much Trump, he'll be gone in 2020 I believe and Mueller may see him off beforehand. I'm confident enough that there's enough of an apparatus in the courts, State Department, Armed forces and Intelligence/law enforcement services to avoid a complete catastrophe. It's what come's afterwards. If another Sean Hannity/Steve Bannon/Kelly-Anne Conway type takes control of the GOP, then we could be headed for real trouble. 

I'm hoping for a centrist republican revival at some point, but at the moment I can't see where it's going to come from. You need a new face teaming up with the Romney's and Graham's of congress to put up a challenge. Their all scared of being primaried though.

9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Trump threatening Cohen's family if he testifies to Congress. Blatant witness tampering and obstruction surely. 

Where'd you see this?

I actually thought this was an Onion article as I scrolled through my feed . . . it's not. :rofl:

Donald Trump's Son Suggests Ellen DeGeneres Is Running a Shadow Government to Undermine His Father

Cohen has now been subpoenad to appear before  Congressional Commitee. It is anticipated he will be asked what Trump said to him before his previous Congressional appearance. Cohen still claims the Trump and Giulianni statements are threats and have put his family in a state of fear. The threats if they are such are s subject of debate whether they are an attempt to obstruct justice or not. Giulianni's statements on tv and later contradiction of them sem to be the most pointed, referring to Cohens father in law as a Ukrainean and basically there fore because there is organised crime there must be involved in organised crime. Amusingly some reporters are saying his comment are typically alike those of Mafiosa bosses. Trump insists those suspicions and inuendo should be investigated, and not him the President.

Cartoon villain I mean Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was asked about federal employees going to food banks and food kitchens to eat, and he basically was like, "huh why I dunno."

To which someone did this:

J.T.F.Robertson

Now giving media oxygen to one of his daughters-in-law as she slavers something to the effect that descendants of federal workers will take pride in the sacrifices being made now. Can it get any more ****ing laughable. 

A wee bit like the old, "but the people have no bread", only a few years later.

A crowd of obscenely rich assholes giving advice to the peons as to how to overcome a financial hardship imposed by those very same insular, clueless, planet La La inhabitants. 

10 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Cartoon villain I mean Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was asked about federal employees going to food banks and food kitchens to eat, and he basically was like, "huh why I dunno."

To which someone did this:

Bank loans  ::facepaw::

On 22/01/2019 at 19:04, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

So that's her, Gillibrand, Warren,  Castro, Gabbard, Delaney and Ojeda who've announced while 'bigger' names such as Biden, Klobuchar, Booker and a few others are still to announce their plans. Klobuchar is speaking at my office on Friday, i wonder if she'll announce then :)

Seems to me that the Dem's are going the same route as the GOP for 2016, with 101 candidates to start with. Obviously not all will make it to the primaries but it's interesting to see so many declare so soon.  What would be really good would be to see a republican challenge Trump for the nomination. 

I actually like the look of Warren out of those declared so far but if Saunders runs again then I fear they will be too similar and both going for the same voters creating a split and knocking them both out. 

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

Satan Sanders next up on CNN, live.

Strap in for bullshit.

Roger who?

The president barely knows him.

Blah blah blah bull shit.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Pretty much. :lol: 

She's put on a bit of weight...comfort eating through stress? 

Can't be through doing her day-to-day job...since she's not allowed to do it.

CNN camera's "happened" to be at Stone's house...how lucky...!

:rolleyes:

Must think folk are zipped up the back. 

Many are!

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Did find it weird, that a whole tactical squad, along with normally dressed FBI Agent's, showed up. 

Wasn't aware Stone was some kind of Crime Lord. :lol: Seemed a bit overkill that. 

Not seen it yet.

1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

The witch hunt continues.

By my count, that's now six witches arrested as a result of the Special Counsel investigation.

He won't be the last.

42 minutes ago, Barack said:

Pretty much. :lol: 

She's put on a bit of weight...comfort eating through stress? 

Can't be through doing her day-to-day job...since she's not allowed to do it.

CNN camera's "happened" to be at Stone's house...how lucky...!

:rolleyes:

Must think folk are zipped up the back. 

There were lots of big Mac's left over from the other week

Quite the morning. MSM and many Canadian stations full of it Fox News in Venezuela, and monitoring caranvans heading to the border.

Trumps campaign now being described as chaotic, being run by a bunch of political amateurs, but he was still elected. Worrisome reading an hearing last night about Venezuela, Russian bombers making a visit, Russia supporting the opposite side to Trump, and America being told to back off.  Meanwhile the man who is in charge of the greatest military in the world, is embroiled in all his cronies being charged or arrested on various charges. Then two ton Sandra comes out and makes the usual nothing to do with the President statement.Oh well whatever will be will be.

Edited by bobsharp

35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

By my count, that's now six witches arrested as a result of the Special Counsel investigation.

He won't be the last.

He won’t be the last, I believe you.

They want Jones off the air soon as.

But still no Russian collusion.

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Alrighty, then!

The establishment media will now run endless loops concerning the Trump Group and Wikileaks persecuting Mrs Clinton during the campaign, while being blind to the fact that it seems that she implemented the secret fake Steele dossier, colluding with the Russians to facilitate its existence.

3 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

The establishment media will now run endless loops concerning the Trump Group and Wikileaks persecuting Mrs Clinton during the campaign, while being blind to the fact that it seems that she implemented the secret fake Steele dossier, colluding with the Russians to facilitate its existence.

Trump needs a sniper. He's the devil. Oh and the doomsday clock is now @ 11:58pm.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)