trex

Donald Trump

elvoys

I am not sure who you are referring to.

However, those "twenty something morons" shouldn't be brow beaten in their beliefs by you because you think Trump is some modern day statesman with positive and modern views towards women's rights issues.

What on earth do you even mean by that? Ban a burqa? The nature of sexism in Islam is far to complex and deep an issue to debate on here - however there are many confident, free and independent and successful muslim women. Pakistan has had a female leader, has America? Bangladesh has had two women leaders in its short history. Indonesia, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan and now Romania have all muslim female leaders, so I don't think there's a clear need at the moment for march against the faith of Islam. Wahhabism and Salafi Islamic practice, like Saudi Arabia or Taliban Afghanistan certainly are not good for women. But perhaps we should then focus our efforts on the minor Saudi royals who spread that form of hate and intolerance than the entire faith of Islam which accounts for nearly a quarter of the world's population.

Any organised faith has sexist tendencies toward women because most religions came about and set out their religious laws in a time when women were mere objects to own.

But, I've never heard the Pope say that women cannot be priests because of their faces or the way they look like he did with Carly Fiorina in the primaries to be the Republican nominee.

Or the Chief Rabbi for the UK make period jokes about any broadcast journalist for hard questions. As he did about Megan Kelly.

Or an Iman when asked what a woman in the work place who is harassed do say she should say nothing and quit. As he did when asked about sexual harassment in the work place.

Nor have I heard the Moderator of the Church of Scotland say that women who have abortions should be punished under criminal laws. As he did about women who seek to exercise their Roe v Wade rights.

Aye, march against religion. But not the man wielding real power in America. The man with the power to appoint people to a supreme court and veto and enact legislation and have a big say on it's construction. Not him. Not him, because women in America have nothing to fear from the man in the Oval Office. But they do from a religion which has 0 political control in America.

The nature of Islams relationship to women really is more straight forward than you are suggesting despite the obscurant attempts. Don't confuse Bangladeshs post war clenching to secularism or Pakistan's dynastic nepotism with the outcomes of the ideology. Both examples were despite of the religion not because of. There is nothing self moderating in its unreformed state. And that is an appaling metric to suggest Pakistan is somehow more progressive in aspects of equality than USA but ive heard it before. Go straight to the source trilogy or the four schools of jurisprudence or the prophet himself. Women's testimony is worth half that of a man so for starters there is no equality before the law where sharia is present. Second, wear a shield (ie hijab, niqab, burqa) because your sexual identity is not yours but is entwined with the honour of the tribe. Thirdly female 'cutting' is explicitly mandated, the apologists excuse that its cultural is another slight of hand. You can thank civilisation or the degree of common sense where you think you see a fair shot for women but again that is thanks to the degree of absence of this retrograde cults influence. I would still not in million years wish my daughter to be afforded the rights of say a woman in Morocco.

The notion that this pointing out of the nauseous double standards of the modern day indulgent 'liberals' is a right wing cause says everything about how far the moral compass is skewed on the left today.

And for what its worth I've at no point suggested Trump is anything but an oafish lououth unfit for this job but ive also always been clear a big part of his success is because of the mendacious edifice that the supposed moral arbitrars of the west have built.

Thunderstruck

The highlight of the whole Inauguration reporting was BBC Scotland having a Trumpet on to call Trump a Trumpet. I really do hope the Editor is commended for that bit of comic genius.

elvoys

I generally think I can hang with the best when it comes to finding something to be cranky about, but folk on here really put me to shame.

I've got too much work to do tonight to go on too long a rant, and JX2 is handling it nicely, but for your Edinburgh protest, I'll say that I have a friend who took part in it. He's a professor of Islamic Studies at UoE, but I'm sure he could take some pointers from all the Islamic scholars on this thread. :lol:

Love that sign. F'ing beautiful design work.

Anyone off the street can pretty much stump your pal within two minutes on notions of 'equality' if he or she wants to and Dawkins pretty much did that on the Nicky Campbells show a few years back. The q goes:

'Tell me about the punishment for apostates and where it came from'

alwaysthereinspirit

Trump wrote it himself allegedly.

Giving the infinite number of speeches made throughout history, whether that be in books, TV, radio, films etc etc, the chances of using the same or similar phrases as someone else is quite high, I would say.

You do know that the supposed exact same movie quotes was a set up to see if anyone would run with it?

alwaysthereinspirit

It also seems that people aren't allowed to exercise their democratic right to protest. Especially if they are women.

In some countries for sure.

alwaysthereinspirit

You seem a delightful chap. Maybe they do protest against other women's rights as well?

Don't take away the right of people to protest whatever the cause. Once you do it's a very slippery slope.

I saw them on TV protesting all over the world. So where are you talking about them not be allowed?

redm

A small group of men hating feminists. It is getting to the stage where I don't think they even know or care what they protest about now.

:biggrin:

You're turning into Piers Morgan.

As for the "men-hating feminists" nonsense, that's just not true at all. I was there, and I don't hate men in the slightest. Fairly certain the men who were there probably also don't hate men either.

It was an excellent turnout.

El Salvador

You seem a delightful chap. Maybe they do protest against other women's rights as well?

Don't take away the right of people to protest whatever the cause. Once you do it's a very slippery slope.

Thanks, I am.

I understand serious protests, I don't agree or like them but understand. This is just a show, their 'rights' aren't under threat it's just a big look at me parade.

I'll say it again, people who don't live in the US protesting President Trump are cretins.

redm

Thanks, I am.

I understand serious protests, I don't agree or like them but understand. This is just a show, their 'rights' aren't under threat it's just a big look at me parade.

I'll say it again, people who don't live in the US protesting President Trump are cretins.

Interesting reaction.

Why does it make you so angry?

Ugly American

Anyone off the street can pretty much stump your pal within two minutes on notions of 'equality' if he or she wants to and Dawkins pretty much did that on the Nicky Campbells show a few years back. The q goes:

'Tell me about the punishment for apostates and where it came from'

I very much doubt it would stump Josh as it doesn't even stump me. As pointed out above, though, this isn't a thread on Islam -- if we want to do another round of this, there's other threads for that.

Ugly American

Thanks, I am.

Hard to understand that who leads the US impacts foreign policy, and therefore the rest of the world?  That US backsliding on climate emissions impacts non-Americans?

Notts1874

Thanks, I am.

Why are they cretins?

Good to see Trump's press secretary standing up for free speech as well.

Peebo

Thanks, I am.

What about Americans who don't live in the US?

Ugly American

Trump's press secretary just told the WH press corps that it was the largest inauguration crowd in history, period, despite it self-evidently being the lowest attended in at least 24 years, and absolutely dwarfed by the enormous Women's March today.

He then refused to take questions from the press, despite him, you know, being the press secretary.

Bizarre times ahead.

Edit: Here's the video. Even weirder than it sounded in reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llFHHAkGcw

Edited by Ugly American

Notts1874

Surely it would help if your press secretary had a handle on basic literacy?

What a complete shambles.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Trump also spent considerable time of his speech at the CIA complaining about the media and saying the numbers released were fake news.

These were numbers released by the federal govt.

Anyone on here still think he should be given a chance, have a serious word with yourself. He's now the president and instead of behaving like a wean, he should be behaving like a president, not whining about the actual truth and all that.

As for people protesting, it's a basic right in a democracy, the amount of piers Morgan type replies is staggering embarrassing.

edijambo

Don't like the guy. However, he has been democratically voted by both men and women. Would we rather not have democratic society? In any case, the protests will be blown over with two weeks. That's life.

edijambo

Don't like the guy. However, he has been democratically voted by both men and women. Would we rather not have democratic society? In any case, the protests will be blown over with two weeks. That's life.

El Salvador

Trump also spent considerable time of his speech at the CIA complaining about the media and saying the numbers released were fake news.

Anyone on here still think he should be given a chance, have a serious word with yourself. He's now the president and instead of behaving like a wean, he should be behaving like a president, not whining about the actual truth and all that.

As for people protesting, it's a basic right in a democracy, the amount of piers Morgan type replies is staggering embarrassing.

Hurting much? :)

El Salvador

Surely it would help if your press secretary had a handle on basic literacy?

What a complete shambles.

I like your pain:)

El Salvador

What about Americans who don't live in the US?

They have a vested interest, so yes. Although they have nothing to worry about about- which everyone knows anyway

El Salvador

Interesting reaction.

Why does it make you so angry?

Not angry, just dont like people.

You were at the protest, why? Why is President Trump going to impact your life?

aussieh

It's utterly unimportant in the long run, but the incredibly low turnout at his "yuge" inauguration is at least funny for now.

comparison-withtime-1024x576.jpg

Faked, apparently. So is the feud with the CIA. Media lies I tell you. :facepalm:

aussieh

Thanks, I am.

Aye i know, we should have just let Hitler get on with it too.

alwaysthereinspirit

Fake news? Any more word on the MLK bronze bust?

Peaceful protesting or smashing other people's property?

alwaysthereinspirit

Aye i know, we should have just let Hitler get on with it too.

Oh no not another "Trump is Hitler" post.

aussieh

Oh no not another "Trump is Hitler" post.

Didn't say he was, but you bash on with deflection.

What exactly do you like about this person?

What does Make America great again mean, white?

What will he say or do to the PM, make her a man?

I have no problem with making the American economy for the American people, Jobs etc... But if he thinks he's gonnae have US interests and military on ours and others lands for free, you and he are ontae plums.

Edited by aussieh

i8hibsh

As for the "men-hating feminists" nonsense, that's just not true at all. I was there, and I don't hate men in the slightest. Fairly certain the men who were there probably also don't hate men either.

What rights do they feel they are fighting for redm? I understand they are exercising their democratic rights protesting against democracy but it all seems very futile. Protesting used to really mean something, now it really just seems like a gathering for attention. And, how come we can call Trump a women hater but we can't call these women men haters? Why do these people have the authority on what we can call people? Trump and his supporters are every name under the sun to these people, then as soon as an insult is returned it is no longer fair. For what it is worth I am not a Trump supporter, it was not my call. I am just loving the direction the Western world is going in right now. Every single major outcome right now is a direct result of these protests. All the insults, name calling, hashtags and protest is making these outcomes a formality. I am not speaking for anyone else, I don't need to as these outcomes are saying everything we need to know. People are sick to death of these over protestors. They are very clearly sick and tired of constantly having to watch what they say or feel guilty for seeing things the way they do. They are sick of victim cards, race cards and sex cards. Every second of every day someone somewhere is being branded this or that for no other reason than they see the world in a different way. Brexit would never have happened without these marches. Brexit quite literally was a backlash. I voted to leave and I would much rather remain as part of the EU but really seen no other option. The situation is out of control, it really is. My vote was a voice to say I am sick of it all. Do you really think Americans really want Trump? Of course not, they are just sick of it all, very clearly. With every hashtag and two bit protest, Daily Mail reader insults, race card played and sexist branding another Brexit and Trump outcome will happen. Of that you can be very very sure.

Barack

I see the "dishonest media" have been using CGI and also photoshop again, to show the "crowds" at DT's great inauguration, being less than what they were.

Mr Trump said TV footage and photos of his inauguration had painted an inaccurate picture.

"It looked like a million and a half people" there on Friday, he said, rubbishing media reports that there were as few as 250,000 people.

Yet, his press secretary (who inbetween having a go at the White House Press pool on his 1st day) said it's impossible to know numbers.

Though, that didn't stop him from quoting numbers, before saying: "This was the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration, period. Both in person and around the globe."

:lol:

Day 1.

Can't wait for week 1.

Jambo-Jimbo

You do know that the supposed exact same movie quotes was a set up to see if anyone would run with it?

No I didn't, but I'm not one of the ones who said it was either, as I had said does it really matter if he did or didn't use quotes from a movie.

Peebo

They have a vested interest, so yes. Although they have nothing to worry about about- which everyone knows anyway

Nothing to worry about? That's in the eye of the beholder.

Policies and political views aside, Shirley even some of his suporters are worried about his sensitivities and priorities. A press conference about the reports on the crowd size?!? Are you ****ing kidding me?!?!?!?

Jambo-Jimbo

Trump's press secretary just told the WH press corps that it was the largest inauguration crowd in history, period, despite it self-evidently being the lowest attended in at least 24 years, and absolutely dwarfed by the enormous Women's March today.

He then refused to take questions from the press, despite him, you know, being the press secretary.

Bizarre times ahead.

Edit: Here's the video. Even weirder than it sounded in reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llFHHAkGcw

A taster of things to come?

Never mind as long as the media only ever report what a tremendous, fabulous, and great job Trump will be doing then everything will be just marvellous.

Question that or report any negative stories or anything which Trump disagrees with and it will only be ridiculed as fake news peddled by the dishonest media.

A very slippery road.

Peebo

A taster of things to come?

Never mind as long as the media only ever report what a tremendous, fabulous, and great job Trump will be doing then everything will be just marvellous.

Question that or report any negative stories or anything which Trump disagrees with and it will only be ridiculed as fake news peddled by the dishonest media.

A very slippery road.

Comical Ali.

Jambo-Jimbo

Comical Ali.

Still makes me laugh that one.  :laugh:

Smithee

What rights do they feel they are fighting for redm? I understand they are exercising their democratic rights protesting against democracy but it all seems very futile. Protesting used to really mean something, now it really just seems like a gathering for attention. And, how come we can call Trump a women hater but we can't call these women men haters? Why do these people have the authority on what we can call people? Trump and his supporters are every name under the sun to these people, then as soon as an insult is returned it is no longer fair. For what it is worth I am not a Trump supporter, it was not my call. I am just loving the direction the Western world is going in right now. Every single major outcome right now is a direct result of these protests. All the insults, name calling, hashtags and protest is making these outcomes a formality. I am not speaking for anyone else, I don't need to as these outcomes are saying everything we need to know. People are sick to death of these over protestors. They are very clearly sick and tired of constantly having to watch what they say or feel guilty for seeing things the way they do. They are sick of victim cards, race cards and sex cards. Every second of every day someone somewhere is being branded this or that for no other reason than they see the world in a different way. Brexit would never have happened without these marches. Brexit quite literally was a backlash. I voted to leave and I would much rather remain as part of the EU but really seen no other option. The situation is out of control, it really is. My vote was a voice to say I am sick of it all. Do you really think Americans really want Trump? Of course not, they are just sick of it all, very clearly. With every hashtag and two bit protest, Daily Mail reader insults, race card played and sexist branding another Brexit and Trump outcome will happen. Of that you can be very very sure.

You want to know what rights they're fighting for, ask them, don't sit and tut and assume the worst - "I bet they're just attention seeking"

I've never heard anyone call Trump a woman hater, but the things he is called are based on what we know of him, including what he's said. You know nothing about that bunch of women protesting but you're happy to generalise then as man haters. Surely you can see the difference. My mrs is a feminist, loves the bobby though - does she hate men?

Of course though, the ultimate irony is you're sick of it all, then complain about protests!

If you want to be a misanthropist then sound, you do that, but you need to understand you're the one with the minority, negative view, not the rest of us.

Edited by Smithee

i8hibsh

You want to know what rights they're fighting for, ask them, don't sit and tut and assume the worst - "I bet they're just attention seeking"

I've never heard anyone call Trump a woman hater, but the things he is called are based on what we know of him, including what he's said. You know nothing about that bunch of women protesting but you're happy to generalise then as man haters. Surely you can see the difference. My mrs is a feminist, loves the bobby though - does she hate men?

Of course though, the ultimate irony is you're sick of it all, then complain about protests!

If you want to be a misanthropist then sound, you do that, but you need to understand you're the one with the minority, negative view, not the rest of us.

No Smithee you don't get it. I am fully aware of their reasoning behind it. I read the articles etc but I want to know what is really their reasoning if you know what I mean. I see "women's rights" not only as insulting to men but a complete cop out. These people spend their entire lives burning bras I feel they no longer know why they are burning them.

Smithee

No Smithee you don't get it. I am fully aware of their reasoning behind it. I read the articles etc but I want to know what is really their reasoning if you know what I mean. I see "women's rights" not only as insulting to men but a complete cop out. These people spend their entire lives burning bras I feel they no longer know why they are burning them.

You had the opportunity to ask direct and didn't take it, what are you looking for here?

Stokesy

separatedbirth_zpsqzwu4ipf.jpg

Not angry, just dont like people.

You were at the protest, why? Why is President Trump going to impact your life?

Trump's stance on climate change affects every living thing on the planet.

Frank

Extremely sour grapes, for the most part. Ho hum. Typical pinko behaviour.

JamboX2

https://www.womensmarch.com/mission/

Seems as though it was a "not in my name" protest. You know, saying to Trump and his team that their rhetoric of hate, mockery and division is something they do not agree with. Which is fair to me.

They are not disrespecting a democratic decision. They are saying they don't agree with it. If they were disrespecting it they'd be out there demanding a re-run of the vote. They're merely trying to counter the small minded, narrow and protectionist Trump rhetoric with an alternative.

I see no issue in doing so.

JamboX2

Extremely sour grapes, for the most part. Ho hum. Typical pinko behaviour.

What, like the birther movement and the tea party?

Seymour M Hersh

All well and good red but where were they and you at the protests (that never took place) against;

The 1400 girls sexually abused in Rotherham, the gang rapes in India or Sharia Law in general?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Smithee

All well and good red but where were they and you at the protests (that never took place) against;

a) the 1,400 girls who were sexually abused in Rotherham.

B) the gang rapes that take place in India.

c) Sharia law

It's irrelevant, one doesn't have to protest against everything for this protest to be valid.

In fact, if they did they'd be accused of protesting as a hobby!

deesidejambo

The 1400 girls sexually abused in Rotherham, the gang rapes in India or Sharia Law in general?

Because its trendy to protest against Trump and not trendy to protest against the many occurrences of despicable treatment of women, including genital mutilation and forced marriages by other groups.

Peebo

Do people think that protests are only valid if the protestors also participate in protests about every other protestable issue? Or just every related protestable issues? Or are they just not valid at all?

I'm genuinely interested. Lots of protest take place about lots of things, in lots of places. However, it seems that particular protests and themes get many people's backs up.

Smithee

Do people think that protests are only valid if the protestors also participate in protests about every other protestable issue? Or just every related protestable issues? Or are they just not valid at all?

I'm genuinely interested. Lots of protest take place about lots of things, in lots of places. However, it seems that particular protests and themes get many people's backs up.

It's crazy, the very heart of democracy is the ability to protest. But there's an increasing mentality of sit down, shut up, do what your betters tell you without complaint.

Bollocks to that, protest what you want to protest, you don't need the approval of those who think richer people are better people.

Frank

What, like the birther movement and the tea party?

:facepalm:

Boab

Think the guy's a narrcissistic bully but he was democratically elected......unlike May.

Call an election, ya poor Thatcher tribute act !