U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

4 minutes ago, escobri said:

My bet on Trump is at 71% cashout, odds have changed massively last few hours 🤑

Which really only reflects how people are betting of course, the bookies are watching nervously too - I'd be cashing out myself. 

The only thing we know so far is that a Biden landslide isn't happening, but Trump needs a fair bit to go his way yet

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The way I see it if Trump wins again all that indicates is the US has become happy with a dictatorial, corrupt, fascist like leadership. There is no other way Trump can win this.

How else can a population allow this to happen?

Because the more liberal candidate isn't far enough left for me I will allow the far right fascist to continue dismantling our democracy? That can't happen anywhere but in a fascist leaning state.

Folk have been shouting from the rooftops. For months. And now it's playing out. The American public are not to blame.

image.png.cb1180514e5160f5aacafd3dd1bf9a6b.png

Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

That’s not new news and the same will happen in PA and WI.

No, certainly not. Just a gentle reminder.

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’m just excited to see you quoting Justin Amash.

I'd agree with him on next to nothing, but he's got integrity, and I have a lot of respect for him.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Which really only reflects how people are betting of course, the bookies are watching nervously too - I'd be cashing out myself. 

The only thing we know so far is that a Biden landslide isn't happening, but Trump needs a fair bit to go his way yet

Not a huge bet so will let it run seeing as this seemingly could drag on till Friday. Smart me would now back Biden for guaranteed profit.

14 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

If you think people who are not sure if they're going to have a roof over their head or food in their stomachs are even thinking about fascism or democracy, you are blessedly privileged and ought to thank whatever power you believe in—or just your luck in the universe—for it.

Well first of all I'm no more privileged than the average person who has a roof over their head. Which I will presume is true for the vast majority who voted in this election, reportedly a record turnout. 

And if it goes the way of Trump that's obviously the way the voting population with a roof over their head decided to let it go.

19 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I wonder if certain people on this thread genuinely believe that ~50% of the voting public of America are fascist. 

Talking in such offensively black and white terms (Democrats good guys, Republicans bad guys) is likely a contributory factor to the disenfranchisement of many voters leading to them flocking to the golden idiot Trump (who sells himself as an outsider who is taking on the political elite). 

Absolutely. And it's not just an American phenomenon.

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I'd agree with him on next to nothing, but he's got integrity, and I have a lot of respect for him.

Kinda there too. Don’t share his libertarian values at all but at least he has the courage of his convictions.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I still don't get how that means more Trump is the way to go. He will solve it???

Look, your concerns about more Trump/more fascism are correct in a vacuum and well shared by me as you know. But they are the last thing on desperate people's minds. The Democrats ran on offering absolutely nothing to those people. NOTHING. By the tens of millions. If nothing else, they certainly didn't energise them to go out and vote against Trump. They're staying home, if they have a home, knowing their lives won't change meaningfully either way the election goes.

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not strictly true. Odds are dictated mainly by most likely outcome. The odds swung wildly in Trump's favour when the numbers started to look favourable in the swing states.

They jumped massively. That wasn't down to bets placed.

Kalamazoo Jambo
30 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

We may need to start talking about NE-2 and ME-2 but my brain may explode in doing so.

9 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Arizona is huge.

If Biden wins Michigan, Wisconsin and Arizona (and holds Nevada), but loses Pennsylvania, he’d still need either NE-2 or ME-2 to win (basically, Nebraska and Maine both allocate one electoral college vote to each of their congressional districts).

269-269 is possible.

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Look, your concerns about more Trump/more fascism are correct in a vacuum and well shared by me as you know. But they are the last thing on desperate people's minds. The Democrats ran on offering absolutely nothing to those people. NOTHING. By the tens of millions. If nothing else, they certainly didn't energise them to go out and vote against Trump. They're staying home, if they have a home, knowing their lives won't change meaningfully either way the election goes.

I don't know how many stayed home. I do know that it's been a record turnout so millions more than ever before didn't stay home.

Which was one reason people were expecting a Biden landslide.

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Fox News has just declared Arizona for Biden.

image.png.55416110ef9866b6ad5136e14309815e.png

And the White House pushing back stating it’s too soon to declare. 

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I don't know how many stayed home. I do know that it's been a record turnout so millions more than ever before didn't stay home.

Which was one reason people were expecting a Biden landslide.

And yet here we are. The vast majority of those millions will have thought about this 5% as much as you have, if that. They will understand the intricacies even less. That's electoral politics. Sitting in a cosy political junkie bubble and pontificating is not the path to seeing a clear picture of the situation.

Literally the Democrats repeated everything they did in 2016, perhaps even worse, and Trump may have been just worse enough to swing it back over to them. That is all.

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why do all republican politicians look like sleazy Scumbags. Are Reps American Conservatives. 

Biden is probably UK moderate, soft right conservative

17 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Not strictly true. Odds are dictated mainly by most likely outcome. The odds swung wildly in Trump's favour when the numbers started to look favourable in the swing states.

They jumped massively. That wasn't down to bets placed.

Yeah it was over simplistic, I'm trying to say that 1/2 isn't a reflection of how likely he is to win, it's more a reflection of where the bookies make money. Enough people put money on Trump at long odds to freak them out when the Biden landslide ends up off the table - 1/2 is to put people off betting on Trump and reduce their exposure more than a sign that they think his chances are 1/2

It's very much up in the air, I was hoping it wouldn't get close but it really is. 

Edited by Smithee

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah it was over simplistic, I'm trying to say that 1/2 isn't a reflection of how likely he is to win, it's more a reflection of where the bookies make money. Enough people put money on Trump at long odds to freak them out when the Biden landslide ends up off the table - 1/2 is to put people off betting on Trump and reduce their exposure more than a sign that they think his chances are 1/2

It's very much up in the air, I was hoping it wouldn't get close but it really is. 

Perfectly summed up. It's anyone's. Odds are all over the place. Trump was 1/4 an hour ago. It's almost neck and neck now. 4/6 11/10.

If Biden wins this, there has been some top class wumming by their equivalent of Returning Officers by keeping postal ballots of large Democratic voting county ballot counting to the very end of swing states.

😄

Edited by DETTY29

38 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I still don't get how that means more Trump is the way to go. He will solve it???

CavySlaveJambo

So Georgia, North Carolina are joining those  that are not declaring tonight.  Sent The count workers home. 

4 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Ohio projected as Red.

Toss a coin. Literally. Toss a coin.

11/8 on Paddy Power is a decent price for Biden in a neck and neck 2 horse race

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

So Georgia, North Carolina are joining those  that are not declaring tonight.  Sent The count workers home. 

North Carolina is closer than we thought a while ago due to a reporting error by one of the counties. Would still expect Trump to edge it.

Georgia is even more interesting as a burst water pipe led to delayed results in the Atlanta area which should go for Biden. So could still be close. Not getting hopes up, however.

Just now, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Georgia is even more interesting as a burst water pipe led to delayed results in the Atlanta area which should go for Biden. So could still be close. Not getting hopes up, however.

The New York Times has Biden projected at +0.4%, taking that into account.

And he’s not praying!

North Carolina is closer than we thought a while ago due to a reporting error by one of the counties. Would still expect Trump to edge it.

Yep.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The New York Times has Biden projected at +0.4%, taking that into account.

Can’t we all just agree to hate the needle?

Can’t we all just agree to hate the needle?

That vote should go 100-to-zero.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)