U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

dobmisterdobster

Same-sex marriage is far to recent to feasibility overturn. Republicans have been gunning for Rowe vs Wade for decades.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They even mentioned Lawrence v Texas and Obergefell v Hodges in the judgement.

Lawrence v Texas ruled that criminalising sodomy was unconstitutional.

Obergefell v Hodges made same sex marriage legal.

Samuel Alito (Supreme Court Justice) said that these two cases "used criteria ‘which at a higher level of generality could license fundamental rights to rights to illicit drug use, prostitution, and the like."

:cornette_dog:

Maple Leaf
7 minutes ago, Cade said:

And they're always the first ones to start shouting about "overpopulation"

Once Roe/Wade is overturned, same sex marriage is next.

I bet they're even eyeing up inter-racial marriage.

The Conservatives have gained control of the SCOTUS and will retain that control for at least a generation.  If they also gain control of the House, the Senate, and the White House in the next couple of years ... very possible, maybe even probable ... then nothing is off the table.  Once the Republicans have control, it will be extremely difficult to get them to relinquish it.

A phrase that's being bandied about a lot these days is that democracy is in peril in the United States.  I can see why people feel that way.  The Republicans see themselves as the party of God.  If Republicans deliver to the people on God's promise, why are elections necessary?  And here is God's promise, as per the US Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

If they can provide life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness to the American people, they'll conclude that they should stay in power permanently.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

This is Jon Robson's podcast charting the rise of the evangelicals fighting Roe v Wade. 

It's the early 1970s. Frank Schaeffer is an American kid living in the Swiss Alps – the son of an influential Christian art historian - who daydreams of one day making Hollywood films. But for that he needs a show-reel to prove himself. The ripples of Frank's creative ambitions will help trigger one of America's most violent culture wars  around the legalization of abortion and Roe vs Wade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011cpq

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’m still processing exactly what it could mean if the Supreme Court does overturn Roe v Wade, but a few things come to mind…

Abortion will become 100% illegal in many states. Good article here from just a few weeks ago…

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/abortion-battlefields-in-a-potentially-post-roe-political-world/

Other Federally protected rights such as Gay marriage could be in danger too based on the logic of the draft decision.

This is one of the few issues that might actually motivate Democrats to get to the polls in great numbers later this year for the mid-terms.

I was watching the ITV news about this.  The reporter stated that there was some kind of error when Roe v Wade was sucessful hence the reason why it can be over turned.  I cant recall exactly what it was. Therefore I think that gay mairrage may be safer at the present time. However still shocking to not allow women to have automony over their own bodies. Very " Handmaids Tale".  As an aside i had a fantastic week in Atlanta a few years back when my gay friends got married .  Well they actually got married in New York as Georgia hadnt passed the legislation at that time. We had an incredible celebration and no one had an issue with it.. Its a sad day really. 

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's what it all boils down to, religion.

Absolutely feck all to do with what's best for the people or society in general, but everything to do with a collection of stories thousands of years old, written for a completley different era, place & people.

I HATE religion. All a load of shite which allows nuts and bigots an excuse for their hatred. 

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's what it all boils down to, religion.

Absolutely feck all to do with what's best for the people or society in general, but everything to do with a collection of stories thousands of years old, written for a completley different era, place & people.

It is certainly religion, but it's also the most cynical of sorts.

Catholicism can at least claim to have been relatively consistent on this issue. They've been opposed for a century, based on the Thomist "Natural Law" reading that ANY non-reproductive sex is "sodomy." (So abortions are wrong right along with contraception, oral sex, gay sex, sex with anyone who's infertile, and so on . . .) Yes I think it's foolish, as do a huge number of practicing American Catholics, but give them a gold star for consistency, I guess.

Protestant Evangelicals weren't even opposed to Roe v. Wade when it happened in 1973. Only years later, when the Evangelical obsession with keeping schools from being segregated (yes really) was clearly faltering did they decide to go all in on the anti-abortion zealotry. They are cynical, two-faced opportunists.

So yes, it's religious, but it's specifically American Christianity that's thoroughly and deeply poisoned by racism and patriarchy all the way down. (Almost all of Judaism, most sects of Islam, and an awful lot of Christians are fully in support of reproductive rights, it must be said.)

Watt-Zeefuik

Typo above—should read "Evangelical obsession with keeping schools from being de-segregated. Major change in meaning there.

Maple Leaf
4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Typo above—should read "Evangelical obsession with keeping schools from being de-segregated. Major change in meaning there.

So the Evangelicals, who deeply love Jesus (they tell us that at every opportunity) and his "Love thy neighbour" philosophy, are actually racists?  Who knew.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

So the Evangelicals, who deeply love Jesus (they tell us that at every opportunity) and his "Love thy neighbour" philosophy, are actually racists?  Who knew.

I can't remember if he coined it or not, but William Barber calls it Slaveholder Religion.

Watt-Zeefuik

In case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating . . . (Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas is the landmark Supreme Court case that forced the end of racial desegregation in public schools.)

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I can't remember if he coined it or not, but William Barber calls it Slaveholder Religion.

It's another example of people cherry-picking verses from the Bible to suit their own purposes.

Just like the anti-choice people.

But I'd suggest that gay rights will be a target before the segregation matter.  Marriage has to be between one man and one woman, etc.

Watt-Zeefuik
53 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's another example of people cherry-picking verses from the Bible to suit their own purposes.

Just like the anti-choice people.

But I'd suggest that gay rights will be a target before the segregation matter.  Marriage has to be between one man and one woman, etc.

Oh, absolutely. The Obergefell (I've got that spelling wrong but anyway) and the Griswold cases that protect gay rights in this country all depend on the same reading of the 14th Amendment that Roe was based on and that Alito is arguing against in the draft opinion.

They are want white Christian patriarchal domination back and won't stop until they're stopped or they get it.

18 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Most of it I watched during the times it was all happening, It was scary, it was shocking that it could happen in a CFountry where yes violence could be encountered, but never stated so emphatically by to my memory any previous President in my lifetime. Because of my choice of life profession I saw of course in much of my time groups who followed for whatever personal reasons a leader who was obviously not mentally stable or just bad, they generally learned to their misfortune their error, there was often as will be the case with Trump, the simple gee he just seemed to be alright. Of course so was Stalin, Putin, Hitler, and many others which people for and against learned that their fate was sealed with no return.

Trump was telling them to shoot people who were a threat to no one, so he, Trump, could take a photo in that location. And what they ultimately did do wasn't too far short of shooting them.

And all of that simply because Trump's fragile ego had been hurt by the social media suggestion that he was "cowardly" for taking shelter in some sort of safe room the day before.

What's just as staggering is that this impulsive pointless insanity was carried out at all on the whim of an obvious lunatic.

And as they mentioned in the video Trump has a history of encouraging his rally crowds to beat up protestors even offering to pay their legal bills. This is a malevolent egomaniac who has uncanny similarities to Hitler.

Hitler used the brown shirts to do the same thing to opponents Trump tries to get his MAGA clowns to do to opponents at his rallies. And Trump would spread that to the streets if he could.

Hitler could do it, so he did. Trump presently can't but he would in a heartbeat if he could. He calls the press the enemy of the people.

Has actually said they should be in jail or even worse. If he could he would jail them too at a bare minimum, exactly what Putin has basically just done. Shut down the free press. One of the basic requirements of a free democracy.

Anybody who truly can't see what this guy is has to be almost simple minded to me.

This one is titled 'Matt Gaetz Thinks "Over-Educated" Is an Insult'

While I naively thought that was an article of faith throughout the MAGA cult. All those elites with their fancy fangled degrees.

A closer look at Republicans focusing on the leak of the Supreme Court's draft ruling overturning Roe v. Wade while more evidence emerges potentially linking Trump to the militia groups involved in the attempted coup on January 6

You have to wonder exactly how stupid/insane this guy is, and consider the Republicans would elect him again.

Trump wanted to bomb Mexico, and pretend it wasn't the US. I mean who would guess where those patriot missiles came from.

I know Trump to this point has been like the teflon don but I always wondered how could he possibly get away with everything he has done, and I think the case against him is still stacking up to be impossible to wriggle out of in any normal circumstances.

They absolutely must take him down and not because he's a dangerous even unhinged political element, which he is, but because he's a criminal, treasonous, seditious dangerous unhinged political element. I'm now convinced this guy doesn't exist in a normal reality. Zero foresight and little to no ability to get to the basics of far less the finite details of complex issues.

Like Seth Myers says, Trump truly does exist in a cartoon like realty, where enemies can use "hurricane guns" on you. I think he also once wondered if we could nuke a hurricane, dunno if he thought that one had been fired from a Chinese hurricane launching weapon. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when considering Trump's cartoon like thought processes. Not even mentioning the windmill threat.

I think Trump hates anything to do with wind, if we could just get rid of the atmosphere. But, exiting Trump's cartoon world and back to reality.

If he isn't taken down the Republican party will descend further into extremist insanity that will spill out and pollute the world. At a time when the world is already experiencing major upheaval that will command our attention for the rest of the decade at a bare minimum. A time when solidarity is an absolute must, while Trump wants to take the US out of NATO.

The McCarthy subpoena is another level of testimony against his activities on January 6th. I don't think i'm being over dramatic in saying that a Republican takeover of government in the US could be catastrophic to the extent it would be an existential threat to the entire word order.

And we know from history what invariably happens when that tends to collapse. Trump in his own way could potentially be even more dangerous to the Western world than Putin or China.  

Kalamazoo Jambo

A white supremacist terrorist shot 13 people yesterday in a supermarket in Buffalo, New York. 11 were black, and 10 died. It appears he deliberately targeted the biggest supermarket in the blackest ZIP code in upstate New York. The terrorist’s manifesto was centered on the racist ‘great replacement’ theory, which has been mainstreamed by Fox’s Tucker Carlson and some Republican politicians in recent times. Blood is on their hands.

Arsehole travelled 200 miles to carry out the attack too.

18 year old FFS

Oh, and if he's been black he'd not be in custody, he's have been cut in half by police bullets.

Edited by Cade

Maple Leaf

It's not just Trump who is whacko.  The Republican party in general is disappearing down the rabbit hole.  A Republican lawmaker in Missouri suggests that future legislation should consider the death penalty for abortion providers, even for providing a morning-after pill.

https://heartlandsignal.com/2022/03/09/missouri-gop-legislator-keeps-option-open-for-death-penalty-for-abortion-providers/

13 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's not just Trump who is whacko.  The Republican party in general is disappearing down the rabbit hole.  A Republican lawmaker in Missouri suggests that future legislation should consider the death penalty for abortion providers, even for providing a morning-after pill.

https://heartlandsignal.com/2022/03/09/missouri-gop-legislator-keeps-option-open-for-death-penalty-for-abortion-providers/

This is exactly my point, the Republican party is now a far right extremist organisation. Ten years ago, would anybody have believed it if someone had stepped up and said inside ten years one of your major parties will electioneer on a lie everybody knows is a lie. Will be littered with crackpots rambling about Jewish space lasers.

And would still elect a twice impeached imbecile they all know is a complete idiot plus criminally inclined, under investigation for multiple crimes, wants to take the US out of NATO, and is even potentially treasonous. Would anybody have believed that?

Imagine they took full majority power of all branches, they already have the judiciary peppered with crazies. This is an existential threat to the entire world.

Edited by JFK-1

dobmisterdobster
On 15/05/2022 at 16:26, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

A white supremacist terrorist shot 13 people yesterday in a supermarket in Buffalo, New York. 11 were black, and 10 died. It appears he deliberately targeted the biggest supermarket in the blackest ZIP code in upstate New York. The terrorist’s manifesto was centered on the racist ‘great replacement’ theory, which has been mainstreamed by Fox’s Tucker Carlson and some Republican politicians in recent times. Blood is on their hands.

We have the media and politicians blaming video games again because some moral panics never go away. 🙄

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

We have the media and politicians blaming video games again because some moral panics never go away. 🙄

I have yet to see anyone blame video games? I suppose that'll be those trying to deflect away from the Fox News types and their puppets in Congress who've been pushing the "replacement theory" white supremacist nonsense that was in the shooter's manifesto.

33 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I have yet to see anyone blame video games? I suppose that'll be those trying to deflect away from the Fox News types and their puppets in Congress who've been pushing the "replacement theory" white supremacist nonsense that was in the shooter's manifesto.

Pretty much what I heard in the news channels, he travelled something like 300 miles to carry out his plan. You mention his manifesto, it would appear from what is being said about it that his target were a specific racial community, although  probably by accident there were deaths of white people involved, they I doubt were targets they were just coincidental damage. I once had one man at my mercy, and hesitated as it transpired fortunately, I spent time with a fully loaded weapon and were on alert to open fire if told,  what a soldier is trained for, but to acquire weapons, and travel three hundred miles with your mind intent on slaughtering like animals because you dislike their race is inhuman. There is only one justified sentence for such an animal.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Pretty much what I heard in the news channels, he travelled something like 300 miles to carry out his plan. You mention his manifesto, it would appear from what is being said about it that his target were a specific racial community, although  probably by accident there were deaths of white people involved, they I doubt were targets they were just coincidental damage. I once had one man at my mercy, and hesitated as it transpired fortunately, I spent time with a fully loaded weapon and were on alert to open fire if told,  what a soldier is trained for, but to acquire weapons, and travel three hundred miles with your mind intent on slaughtering like animals because you dislike their race is inhuman. There is only one justified sentence for such an animal.

The deaths of white people were probably justified as being insufficiently bigoted so as to be seen in a shopping center with so many non-white people. The fever dreams of the far right are pretty terrifying, but they're pretty clearly documented. There's a wretched novel called The Turner Diaries that they use as their blueprint, which includes a day called the "Day of Rope," when not only will powerful non-white people be executed en mass, but all the white people they see as complicit in causing the loss of white power. Many of these terrorists, like the one who murdered all those people in a church in Charleston, are trying to bring about a race war when all of this kicks off. (They're called "accellerationists" because they're trying to speed up racial conflict.)

We've all had to get a lesson in how these poisonous groups think since Trump got elected and gave them all the wink-wink thumbs-up. I think I've mentioned before, while we lived in Richmond, I was a grad student at UVA in Charlottesville when the August 11/August 12 murderous "Unite the Right" rally happened there. There are still a lot of people in the city who have very real PTSD symptoms from being in the middle of all of it.

The sad and sick thing is that this has all been bubbling under the surface for decades, just that a lot of us (particularly white people) were able to ignore it for a long stretch of time. Those days are over.

Edited by Led Tasso

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

The deaths of white people were probably justified as being insufficiently bigoted so as to be seen in a shopping center with so many non-white people. The fever dreams of the far right are pretty terrifying, but they're pretty clearly documented. There's a wretched novel called The Turner Diaries that they use as their blueprint, which includes a day called the "Day of Rope," when not only will powerful non-white people be executed en mass, but all the white people they see as complicit in causing the loss of white power. Many of these terrorists, like the one who murdered all those people in a church in Charleston, are trying to bring about a race war when all of this kicks off. (They're called "accellerationists" because they're trying to speed up racial conflict.)

We've all had to get a lesson in how these poisonous groups think since Trump got elected and gave them all the wink-wink thumbs-up. I think I've mentioned before, while we lived in Richmond, I was a grad student at UVA in Charlottesville when the August 11/August 12 murderous "Unite the Right" rally happened there. There are still a lot of people in the city who have very real PTSD symptoms from being in the middle of all of it.

The sad and sick thing is that this has all been bubbling under the surface for decades, just that a lot of us (particularly white people) were able to ignore it for a long stretch of time. Those days are over.

Just watched my nightly dose of Fox News, I watch it as I eat dinner, I find it curtails my intake so has diet advantages. It is not as titled a News station, it is strictly a propaganda source. Hannity followed and as usual he went through his usual tirade about Biden actions or inactions, I am strange in if I agreed with anything he says I could not support him because I believe how much you as in his case hate an individual as he does President Biden he never ever on my time of viewing has used the title for the man. I see that as unintelligent low mannered abuse, and he should if there was such a group be censured by his station or Broadcast authorities. I know I am worse than him that I watch him, but as a believer in the keep your friends close and your enemies closer motto I watch him

A closer look at prominent members of the right embracing and parroting the dangerous white nationalist conspiracy theory known as “the great replacement,” which, in addition to being deeply racist, bigoted and dehumanizing, is incredibly stupid.

Maple Leaf
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A closer look at prominent members of the right embracing and parroting the dangerous white nationalist conspiracy theory known as “the great replacement,” which, in addition to being deeply racist, bigoted and dehumanizing, is incredibly stupid.

That disgraceful piece of trash, Trump, legitimized white supremacy with his comments after Charlottesville, and it has gone downhill in the USA since then.  

I never watch Fox News, but I've read that Tucker Carlson, who is the most-watched cable talk show host in the country, is pushing the toxic "Great replacement" theory, having mentioned it 400 times on his show.  The notion that there is a left-wing plot to replace white Americans with non-white immigrants and refugees would be laughable it it wasn't for the tragic consequences of that nonsense.

We're witnessing the death throes of Pax Americana and it's happening quickly. And it could turn seriously violent.  I shudder to think what will happen in the USA if the elections in the next couple of years don't go the way the far right want.  There are 400 million guns in the hands of private citizens, and 12 billion rounds of ammunition are sold annually.  Some people will be itching for an excuse to put all that firepower to use in the defence of "freedom".

15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

That disgraceful piece of trash, Trump, legitimized white supremacy with his comments after Charlottesville, and it has gone downhill in the USA since then.  

I never watch Fox News, but I've read that Tucker Carlson, who is the most-watched cable talk show host in the country, is pushing the toxic "Great replacement" theory, having mentioned it 400 times on his show.  The notion that there is a left-wing plot to replace white Americans with non-white immigrants and refugees would be laughable it it wasn't for the tragic consequences of that nonsense.

We're witnessing the death throes of Pax Americana and it's happening quickly. And it could turn seriously violent.  I shudder to think what will happen in the USA if the elections in the next couple of years don't go the way the far right want.  There are 400 million guns in the hands of private citizens, and 12 billion rounds of ammunition are sold annually.  Some people will be itching for an excuse to put all that firepower to use in the defence of "freedom".

Anything still voting Republican is off the deep end. I seriously believe it's akin to mental illness. Jewish space lasers?  Fantasy stolen elections. Corrupt SP judges with an even more batshit crazy wife. And that's just the peripheral crazy. Not the real hard core crazy.

Throw in the fact if this were a film and the fill US President had all the past and present features of Trump, any rational person would think this guy is a traitor in countless ways. Just starting with clearly in the pocket of Putin.

And they would vote for this orange babbling buffoon? Who has suggested ingesting bleach, wanted to bomb Mexico and pretend it wasn't the US, you know, it's clearly somebody else firing those patriot missiles coming across the US border. Another Baldrick like cunning Trump plan.

Wanted to shoot peaceful protestors so he could take a photo holding a bible, while wanting to give pardons to seditionists who attacked the very seat of their democracy resulting in multiple deaths, and wondered about nuking a hurricane. To name but a few of his mental deficiencies.

I can't get my head around voting for that. I would vote for Raving Lord Sutch before voting for an orange simpleton surrounded by smarter insane people.

You would have to be either batshit crazy, merely simple minded, or some sort of deviant who is up for a potential societal crash.

But then again I saw a statistic that said over half the US population think angels are real, the Earth is brand new and Jesus will be coming back soon. In their lifetime no less.

If you can believe that you already have a mental block going on. It's a gun toting religious fundie extremist nation. And we all thought that was Iran. 

President Biden visited Buffalo, New York, after the deadliest mass shooting of the year took place at a local grocery store over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Fox News ownership is under fire for amplifying a racist conspiracy theory linked to the shooting. MSNBC’s Ari Melber is joined by former RNC Chair Michael Steele to discuss the far-right’s promotion of “Replacement Theory.”

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

An all-time great Kinsley gaffe from Dubya today…

SNL couldn't write it. Wow.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

An all-time great Kinsley gaffe from Dubya today…

The babbling clown could barely read the script in front of him. 

That has to rank as one of the all-time biggest gaffes.  Incredible.

>Claims a nation has or is trying to get its hands on WMD

>Produces obviously made up evidence to support the gobshite claims
>Defies UN warnings and invades anyway
>Employs many mercenary units as well as your own soldiers in the invasion

>Invades it with absolutely no plans of what to do with it after you win the war

>Widespread war crimes during the invasion
>Thousands of kidnappings with civilians sent to re-education camps thousands of miles away

>Massive loss of civilian life

>Total destruction of cultural and civic infrastructure

>Has historic links of previous wars in that nation and seems to be more about revenge than anything else

Dubya is right......this does all sound very familiar

:kirk:

Edited by Cade

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The babbling clown could barely read the script in front of him. 

That has to rank as one of the all-time biggest gaffes.  Incredible.

And this is such an improvement.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And this is such an improvement.

Just goes to show that you don't have to be smart to succeed in politics.

The Bush fumble was noteworthy because in an attempt to point a finger at Putin he actually pointed to himself.

On 17/05/2022 at 02:33, Sharpie said:

Just watched my nightly dose of Fox News, I watch it as I eat dinner, I find it curtails my intake so has diet advantages. It is not as titled a News station, it is strictly a propaganda source. Hannity followed and as usual he went through his usual tirade about Biden actions or inactions, I am strange in if I agreed with anything he says I could not support him because I believe how much you as in his case hate an individual as he does President Biden he never ever on my time of viewing has used the title for the man. I see that as unintelligent low mannered abuse, and he should if there was such a group be censured by his station or Broadcast authorities. I know I am worse than him that I watch him, but as a believer in the keep your friends close and your enemies closer motto I watch him

I don't know if you came across this but might enjoy Tucker Carlson's hypocrisy
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/19/tucker-carlson-hunter-biden-georgetown-emails

• 2 weeks later...

As the Jan. 6 committee’s prime time public hearings get underway, the evidence is exposing the GOP’s hypocrisy over the insurrection. Though many GOP lawmakers initially condemned the violence on Jan. 6, they have since continued to promote the “big lie” and downplay the violence that occurred.

21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

As the Jan. 6 committee’s prime time public hearings get underway, the evidence is exposing the GOP’s hypocrisy over the insurrection. Though many GOP lawmakers initially condemned the violence on Jan. 6, they have since continued to promote the “big lie” and downplay the violence that occurred.

I watched the hearings this morning, on the  BBC.

“President Trump summoned the mob, assembled the mob and lit the flame of this attack,” she said.

What followed was perhaps the most compelling evidence the committee presented tonight—an 11-minute video compilation of the attack itself, showing the breach of the Capitol and featuring previously unseen police body-cam footage of harrowing hand-to-hand combat between officers and rioters.

“We’ve lost the line! We’ve lost the line!” an officer is heard shouting at one point as a crowd surged toward the Capitol.

Heard Brian somebody (former Trump advisor) this morning saying insurrection preferable to Biden. He'd take that now. 

Yet when asked about another Trump bid, its was all back to the democratic process as the route to success.

Sounded like a grounded kid. 

Edited by Riccarton3

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

“President Trump summoned the mob, assembled the mob and lit the flame of this attack,” she said.

What followed was perhaps the most compelling evidence the committee presented tonight—an 11-minute video compilation of the attack itself, showing the breach of the Capitol and featuring previously unseen police body-cam footage of harrowing hand-to-hand combat between officers and rioters.

“We’ve lost the line! We’ve lost the line!” an officer is heard shouting at one point as a crowd surged toward the Capitol.

The defence is he didn't coordinate it. 

WorldChampions1902
On 18/05/2022 at 06:38, JFK-1 said:

And they would vote for this orange babbling buffoon? Who has suggested ingesting bleach, wanted to bomb Mexico and pretend it wasn't the US, you know, it's clearly somebody else firing those patriot missiles coming across the US border. Another Baldrick like cunning Trump plan.

Wanted to shoot peaceful protestors so he could take a photo holding a bible, while wanting to give pardons to seditionists who attacked the very seat of their democracy resulting in multiple deaths, and wondered about nuking a hurricane. To name but a few of his mental deficiencies.

I can't get my head around voting for that. I would vote for Raving Lord Sutch before voting for an orange simpleton surrounded by smarter insane people.

You would have to be either batshit crazy, merely simple minded, or some sort of deviant who is up for a potential societal crash.

But then again I saw a statistic that said over half the US population think angels are real, the Earth is brand new and Jesus will be coming back soon. In their lifetime no less.

If you can believe that you already have a mental block going on. It's a gun toting religious fundie extremist nation. And we all thought that was Iran. 

Absolutely batshit mental, I agree. However, he wasn’t the first US president asked to contemplate such heinous acts. The CIA wanted JFK to approve their shooting down of passenger aircraft over US soil along with a list of other acts of terrorism that could be blamed on Cuba. Thankfully, Kennedy refused.

Plus ca change……

Here's the wife of a Supreme Court justice actively engaged in trying to overturn the election results, simply because the darling of the right wing lost. That's probably not illegal but it's certainly unethical, and if her husband had any integrity he would resign.  

But Clarence Thomas has never tried to hide his right-wing bias, so the possibility of him resigning is nil.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/ginni-thomas-arizona-lawmakers-biden-trump/index.html

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)