Soundbars for your telly

Tazio

I've recently invested in one of these things and it has totally changed the tv watching experience. The crap sound from my telly had been annoying me for a while and I started thinking about running it through my hifi but that would have shifted the sound so it wasn't coming from the same part of the room which would have driven me mad and I can't be bothered with going back to surround as it means your room is full of stuff. I got an LG one with a separate bluetooth sub woofer and it's made a massive difference. Obviously much better for films and Netflix type stuff but even for normal telly programmes the difference in the clarity of speech is a real eye opener. Very well thought out in terms of setting it up as well if you're a bit thick with technology (luckily I'm not as I do it for a living).

Anyone else found the same revelation?

Edited by Tazio

VIZIO SB2821-D6 28-Inch 2.1 Channel Sound bar

I got this one for $120. 

Very pleased with it, great sound without making a major investment.

Blackford Hearts

Like you I suffered a few years of poor tv sound. I wondered if it was my age catching up on me. Anyway I bought a Bose soundbar and have been delighted with it. Great for playing music through as well 

9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I have Sonos speakers in 3 rooms & really like them. I was thinking about investing in a “Beam” soundbar. £399. Theres a bigger version but its 700 sheets. Feck that!

Be interested to know anyones opinion that uses a Sonos Beam. 

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/beam.html

I have had a Beam for a few months now.

It is really good, decent sound that you would expect from a Sonos product.

I used the app on my phone to increase the bass and treble, as it was a little flat out of the box, but now sounds great.

Really good for music play back too.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

The sound on my new Sony OLED is superb.  

It comes from the Acoustic Surface and basically turns the whole screen into a sound emitting surface. 

they range from 219 pounds to 800 pounds 

VLADWOW.gif

Punted my soundbar through to the telly in the bedroom when Sky brought out their Sky Q Soundbox, it's made by Devialet who normally charge thousands for their high end speakers.

The sound from the Sky Soundbox is what you would expect from a 5 speaker surround system easily costing £1-1.5k, it's that good!

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

The sound on my new Sony OLED is superb.  

It comes from the Acoustic Surface and basically turns the whole screen into a sound emitting surface. 

Now that's my kind of tech!

When I did audio technology back in the 90s my lecturer was excited about exactly this stuff, but the concept was more about buying a little unit and attaching it to a surface in your house rather than incorporating it into consumer electronics like TVs. 

I remember thinking it sounded interesting if a bit of a novelty, and we had a group discussion about it. But no one came up with this application, which at first seems mental, it's so obvious.

But then I realise that of course we didn't think of it, current TV technology didn't exist then, it was all cathode ray tubes and you can't be attaching acoustic drivers to them!

It's a technology whose time has come now that other tech has developed, makes you wonder what else is out there that wasn't much cop at the time. 

Edited by Smithee

11 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I have Sonos speakers in 3 rooms & really like them. I was thinking about investing in a “Beam” soundbar. £399. Theres a bigger version but its 700 sheets. Feck that!

I have the Beam and think it’s well worth the money. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I have the Beam and think it’s well worth the money. 

Thanks. 

Take it youre not in sales then Dave :lol:

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Thanks. 

Take it youre not in sales then Dave :lol:

No. I do have two other sonos boxes around the house though for music. ?

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Have no idea how folk can watch stuff just using the crappy tv speakers. I have a 5-speaker set-up that sounds mint.

Same, i'll never move away from my 5.1 setup

12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I have one of the larger Sonos soundbars - its awesome, plus 2 ‘ones’ as surrounds.

I know a few folk with the beam and its good - also has Alexa I think

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Same, i'll never move away from my 5.1 setup

Amend brother - run everything through an Onkyo receiver and 5.1 speaker set up - unbeatable sound

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It really is great. The sound moves around the screen per se. 

If you touch the screen, you can feel the vibration but there is no screen distortion. 

The TV was expensive but it comes with a 5 year guarantee as well as a further 5 years for accidental damage. 

Can't wait for Sky Q this Friday. 

But no need for a sound bar on this set.

The salesman in Currys was bumming that tele up the last time I was in there, any decent volume I'd imagine the screen would vibrate , not for me 

7 hours ago, Rab87 said:

I have had a Beam for a few months now.

It is really good, decent sound that you would expect from a Sonos product.

I used the app on my phone to increase the bass and treble, as it was a little flat out of the box, but now sounds great.

Really good for music play back too.

Another thumbs up for the Sonos Beam. I got one for Christmas and linked it to my 2 Sonos One units for a surround sound experience. It also has inbuilt Alexa, but I rarely use this function as yet. (BTW - Got it in the Black Friday sale for 349 pounds at John Lewis)

Edited by Hugh Phamism

6 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

I have one of the larger Sonos soundbars - its awesome, plus 2 ‘ones’ as surrounds.

I know a few folk with the beam and its good - also has Alexa I think

?

Think I will treat myself. 

• 1 month later...
Phil Dunphy

Purchased a Beam and a 2nd Play:One for the living room for a surround system and I have to say, I’m finding it problematic getting any significant sound out of the surrounds. 

Anyone else ever have that problem with the system? Really hope it’s not my telly being a dick. 

36 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Purchased a Beam and a 2nd Play:One for the living room for a surround system and I have to say, I’m finding it problematic getting any significant sound out of the surrounds. 

Anyone else ever have that problem with the system? Really hope it’s not my telly being a dick. 

The sounds out the surrounds are quite subtle but they do work very well if set up through the app.  You can muck about with the levels etc through the settings on the app

Phil Dunphy
20 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

The sounds out the surrounds are quite subtle but they do work very well if set up through the app.  You can muck about with the levels etc through the settings on the app

I tried the slider to get more out of the surrounds but I was hoping for something a bit more immersive. 

I’ll have another play around tonight. 

Interesting thread, lot of informative posts??

Im lookin to get a new telly once my ‘man cave’ is finished in a few months, and ideally I’d love to have a 5.1 set up. Now I admit that google would probably answer this, but what are folks views on Bluetooth 5.1 set ups? I’m not interested in having wires all over the place, but that leads me to wonder what provides the speakers with power? And can anyone recommend a decent set up which won’t be too costly?

Slightly off on a tangent to the OPs question, but I thought I’d ask...??