7 nation army and Euro 08

haj

Does anybody know who used this song first? The first time I ever heard it as a football song was with Hearts but now Its being used as the euro 08 song im thinking it probably started somewhere else.

Haj

Pants Shaton

I think it was used in Serie A before 02.04.06

Nobody else has come close to capturing a moment so perfectly as the Hearts fans and their unique adaptation.

I don't care if they did, I like to think we were the first to use it for anything truly memorable or purposeful.

And Euro 2008 has done nothing but prove just how many people in numerous countries agree that the Hibees are, very obviously, GAY.

:)

Nucky Thompson
I think it was used in Serie A before 02.04.06

Are you just presuming that, because the Italians were singing it 2 months after 02.04.06. The first I heard any football team singing it was at Hampden and only after 7 nation army was played over the P.A.

Are you just presuming that, because the Italians were singing it 2 months after 02.04.06. The first I heard any football team singing it was at Hampden and only after 7 nation army was played over the P.A.

your dead right m8 the italians started singing it after they heard us singing on 02/04/06 the semis were highlighted on one of italys sports channels

your dead right m8 the italians started singing it after they heard us singing on 02/04/06 the semis were highlighted on one of italys sports channels

And even then, if you listen closely...you'll find that they're actually singing....i hibees sono gai......

True. :Agree:

eddie fenwick
And even then, if you listen closely...you'll find that they're actually singing....i hibees sono gai......

True. :Agree:

does that translate to the hibees have flair?:confused:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/06/is_seven_nation_army_the_indie.html

I've done a mini trawl of the internet and it seems that the praise of starting the White Stripes singing is going to the Italian fans.

I'd dispute this though. Every article talking about this (and there is a fair few just now) states that the Italians started signing this at the 2006 World Cup.

A full two months after the mighty Jambos!

It seems that the ignorance of the worlds media and their myopic view of the worlds footballing superpowers is counting against us.

Canned Heat

I reckon I started it.

It was after the Falkirk game the week before the semi-final final: I'd not been to the game but was drinking in the Links afterwards, where two jambos were sitting at a table by the bar having a stiff beverage. They'd been singing the original hibees-are-gay song a bit, and as I went to buy a drink the song 7-Nation Army came on the stereo.

It wasn't actually the White stripes version, it was the Tim Deluxe remix which is one of my favourites, and it just popped into my head to put the words to the music, and I started singing it to them. They were loving it and I heard them singing it an hour or two later as well. Presumably they went to the Hibs game the next week and it caught on in the stands.

It's possible it started somehere alse at the same time I suppose, but I doubt it. It would seem a like a hell of a coincidence. When it comes on the European Championships, I always think "I started that". Shame there's no royalties on football chants...

Boaby Ewing

Am I the only one who can't remember how the original 'Oh the Hibees are gay' used to go.

02.04.06 has just totally eclipsed it from my memory.

Seriously, if anyone can spell it out it'd be much appreciated.

Canned Heat

Got a piano or something?

It's:

E E E D C G - - - - - - E E E D C A - - - - - -

F F F E D B - - - - - - B B B C D C - - - - - -

With an unsavoury and sectarian last line...

Harry Palmer
Am I the only one who can't remember how the original 'Oh the Hibees are gay' used to go.

May help... not sure, could be something completely different.

Francis Albert

I remember reading recently about how a lot of inventions claimed by one individual have been made more or less simultaneously by more than one person (the telephone, television, radar etc). I suspect we will never know when this was sung as a football anthem for the first time. But it was "invented" at Hampden on 02/04/06 without reference to any previous usage.

thehibsareintheirbeds

my hibee mate texted tonight that even euro 2008 thought the hibees were gay

no matter where it came from if the wee team know its about them, thats good enough for me

Around the time of the last World Cup, Roma fans were credited with introducing the tune to the Italian national team support.

They had apparently picked it up at a UEFA Cup tie away to Brugge on 15 February 2006.

I dont care who sung it first - that moment at hampden where "our" version was born was priceless.

A sing song of the old version of the song, coupled with the 7-Nation Army version at the very same time..... timing was everything!! It was better mixing than i've heard from DJ's in some clubs!!

was at the roma inter game a while before the semi and they [the roma fans ] were def singing it then

The People's Chimp

The moment the original song just morphed into the 7 nation army tune was immense. I remember the entire hearts end bouncing along, the flags going, and the hibees are gay ringing around the stands. when the pa moved on, we didn't and the effect it had on the hibs players as they ran out of the tunnel was fantastic. Huge bare patches right in the middle of the hobos support, a barely audible whimper emanating from their pathetic support and the hibee are gay bursting their eardrums. No wonder they crumpled in such a pathetic fashion and were dealt the whipping of a lifetime from a fantastic footballing side.

02.04.06 FTH

Nope yer all wrong.

I wrote the original tune, White Stripes pinched it from me, then you lot pinched it from White Stripes. :dribble:

May help... not sure, could be something completely different.

Just watched this for the first time in a year or so.

What a cracking team we had with great players - Hartley, Janny, Takis, Skacel et all!

Dismantled by a mad man - SAD!!!:sad:

The original was sung to the same tune as "the bluebells are blue" and there was a cracking rendition of it in robbo's before the last derby last season that resulted in the bar refusing to serve drink.

Original is still the best!!!

Archived