Extreme Weather

Craig Gordons Gloves

I do love me some cold weather but I think even I'd have to draw the line at -30. Can't imagine what that's like. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kalamazoo Jambo

• Maple Leaf

• Craig Gordons Gloves

• J.T.F.Robertson

Craig Gordons Gloves
On 28/01/2019 at 10:16, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Let me know how it feels (or doesn't feel) as we get it Thursday.

We had 8 inches of snow last Sunday, a high of 2 on Monday with a flash freeze and then 3 " of rain Thursday and 60 degrees. No wonder everyone is sick. Hate winter.

It's actually impossible to describe how it feels.  Took the dog out to pee, i was wearing snow pants, 4 layers on top with a winter coat, hat, thick gloves and big boots and in the 3-4 mins we were outside the inside of my glasses steamed up because of my breath and then froze.  Drove to work this morning and the car didn't properly heat up the entire 40 min journey. 

Oh, and apparently the wind chill is -54f, the air temp is -24f. I've been here 12 years and it's the coldest i've ever felt it.  Even more bizarre that it will be 36f on Saturday, 50 degree swing in 3 days. 

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

It's actually impossible to describe how it feels.  Took the dog out to pee, i was wearing snow pants, 4 layers on top with a winter coat, hat, thick gloves and big boots and in the 3-4 mins we were outside the inside of my glasses steamed up because of my breath and then froze.  Drove to work this morning and the car didn't properly heat up the entire 40 min journey. 

Oh, and apparently the wind chill is -54f, the air temp is -24f. I've been here 12 years and it's the coldest i've ever felt it.  Even more bizarre that it will be 36f on Saturday, 50 degree swing in 3 days. 

According to the news this morning, you are colder today than both the poles and mt Everest.

Stay safe. And warm.

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

According to the news this morning, you are colder today than both the poles and mt Everest.

Stay safe. And warm.

Cheers! Also, that's the sort of trivia that i'll be spouting at every opportunity so thanks for that too! 

Paranoid that the furnace breaks down as they're not really designed for these temps.  Despite the internal house temp being 69, there was ice on the inside of some of the windows where condensation had frozen. 

J.T.F.Robertson
34 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Cheers! Also, that's the sort of trivia that i'll be spouting at every opportunity so thanks for that too! 

Paranoid that the furnace breaks down as they're not really designed for these temps.  Despite the internal house temp being 69, there was ice on the inside of some of the windows where condensation had frozen. 

Yir jist gaunnie huv to quit breathin' while yir in the hoose. :65:

Maybe a bit late with this information, but ...

There's a product called Hand Warmers, made by LiveFine, which I bought through Amazon.  They're small chemical packets which are easily activated, and they stay warm for up to 10 hours.

Just insert them into your boots, or inside your gloves, and you get much welcome additional heat.

William H. Bonney
6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Maybe a bit late with this information, but ...

There's a product called Hand Warmers, made by LiveFine, which I bought through Amazon.  They're small chemical packets which are easily activated, and they stay warm for up to 10 hours.

Just insert them into your boots, or inside your gloves, and you get much welcome additional heat.

I might need them for when I play golf at st Andrews, in July. 

Those are some mind boggling numbers. That is serious "****ing hell, it's freezing!" weather. I would not be wanting to leave the house in that weather. 

9 hours ago, cheetah said:

Back in the mid 90's I remember temps of around -25C in Aberdeen, think a few mentals died walking home from the pub?

It was -17 in Edinburgh that year and there was definitely people that died walking home from the boozer. I mind walking halfway home on Hogmanay that year and it’s the coldest I’ve ever been. Was -27 in Sutherland which was a record so wouldn’t have been far off that in Aberdeen. 

Crazy weather. Can't imagine how cold that would feel.

I think the coldest I can remember was about -12*c in 2010 I think it was.

Had an old BMW that started first time every morning. Just struggled to get anywhere because of RWD mind you but it drove ?

Kalamazoo Jambo
33 minutes ago, Barack said:

Tweet that to your President.

He likes things about Global "Waming..."

I’m just glad that my old school Hearts mug didn’t crack in the process :ninja:

Kalamazoo Jambo

The Governor of Michigan has had to ask all Michiganders to turn their thermostats down to 65F (18C) or less to reduce demand for natural gas.  A fire at a utility’s facility has disrupted the gas supply in the state at the worst possible time. Great...

12 hours ago, Zico said:

It was -17 in Edinburgh that year and there was definitely people that died walking home from the boozer. I mind walking halfway home on Hogmanay that year and it’s the coldest I’ve ever been. Was -27 in Sutherland which was a record so wouldn’t have been far off that in Aberdeen. 

Aye was crazy, went out to see if i could walk into town for a pint, straight back in the house, feet up cup of tea.

John Gentleman

In the Adelaide suburb where I work (Edinburgh RAAF Base), last Thursday I lived through the hottest day of my life – it hit 47.8°C at 15:30.

And I'm 65!!

John Gentleman
8 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Australia just sounds like actual hell. 

It was like living in a blast furnace. All the leaves on the non-native deciduous trees are burnt to crisps.

2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

In the Adelaide suburb where I work (Edinburgh RAAF Base), last Thursday I lived through the hottest day of my life – it hit 47.8°C at 15:30.

And I'm 65!!

It was 42 in Melbourne, Christmas day 2013 (maybe 2014?). I've never experienced anything like that before, when the wind was blowing it was like a hair dryer being held too close to the skin.

Can't even imagine what 48 must have been like.

Craig Gordons Gloves

We survived!! Xcel energy asked everyone to turn their thermostats down to 63f to relieve the strain on their system.  Ignored them.  Coldest it got to was -30f with a windchill of -54f.  Started off at -28f this morning but it's warming up to a high of -4f.

Maple Leaf - we use the hand warmers and toe warmers for the kids when they are skiing when it's below 0f, they're great! 

Hope you survive KJ, we did the boiling water trick yesterday. I say we, the kids and wife watched from inside :)

9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

And I'm 65!!

tbh, weather that hot sounds as bad as the cold stuff.  I wouldn't be able to breathe at 47C.  Even 35C is too hot for me.

8 hours ago, willie wallace said:

How did you guys end up living in the frozen north?

Believe it or not, but it was voluntary.  :conf11:

It's usually not too bad, but the last few days have been crazy.

willie wallace
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Believe it or not, but it was voluntary.  :conf11:

It's usually not too bad, but the last few days have been crazy.

My wife was an exchange student in Regina She is South African and went from an SA Summer to a Canadian winter.?

Kalamazoo Jambo
10 hours ago, willie wallace said:

How did you guys end up living in the frozen north?

Toronto, Minneapolis and Kalamazoo are all further South than Edinburgh :thumbsup:

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Hope you survive KJ, we did the boiling water trick yesterday. I say we, the kids and wife watched from inside :)

The hot water trick is a good one. Also tried blowing bubbles outside but they didn't freeze, disappointingly :laugh:

willie wallace
2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Toronto, Minneapolis and Kalamazoo are all further South than Edinburgh :thumbsup:

Good point but calling it the frozen  south doesn't really work?

been here before

Seen on the news tonight that some parts of southern England have had up to an inch of snow, a little deeper in the rural areas such as the  countryside and on the moors. Film clip of a white van doing a wee bit of a wheel spin as it pulled away from the kerb along with a report featuring a woman who had parked up at the roadside and put her hazard lights on.

If you're reading this down there, stay safe. Thoughts and prayers during these freak February conditions.

#prayforsouthernengland.

J.T.F.Robertson

Thank goodness we scheduled the winter break when we did. :confused:

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Kalamazoo Jambo
21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Weather forecast for Toronto on Sunday is rain.  RAIN!!!

Yesterday it was -24C

Yep, I look forward to Michigan’s roads falling apart (even more) due to the extreme temperature fluctuations.

20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It was only minus 7 this morning and my hauns were frozen.

Really that cold in Glasgow? :vrwow:

13 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Really that cold in Glasgow? :vrwow:

According to my phone, it was -7 in Paisley. My Lab wasn't too happy either. :D

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Can folk stop quoting the temperatures in Fahrenheit please, us young yins haven't a clue if that is cold or not.

F minus 32 x 5 then ÷ 9 

Edited by Mikey1874

10 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

There were probably some hardy (reckless) souls out there ice-fishing. :hobofish:

J.T.F.Robertson
12 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Weather forecast for Toronto on Sunday is rain.  RAIN!!!

Yesterday it was -24C

I guess it's our turn now.

From the relative sublime to the ridiculous. 

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I guess it's our turn now.

From the relative sublime to the ridiculous. 

Yup, it;s going to be 45 on Sunday and then back to zero by Wednesday. But snow! Yas!

Samuel Camazzola
On 30/01/2019 at 20:17, Morgan said:

-49 today in Chicago.

FFS

:sad: 

The folk with their Canada Goose and Moncler jackets can justify their investments in those climes. Unlike the ones you usually see in George Street when it's 5C. 

BBC Breakfast did a couple of interviews with British expats in Chicago yesterday and one of them mentioned there have been several instances of folk being robbed for their Canada Goose jackets. 

On 30/01/2019 at 13:58, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I do love me some cold weather but I think even I'd have to draw the line at -30. Can't imagine what that's like. 

Bit colder than -29, honestly though that would be a nightmare, i hate -4 C.

Good excuse to put on my american parka, 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The folk with their Canada Goose and Moncler jackets can justify their investments in those climes. Unlike the ones you usually see in George Street when it's 5C. 

BBC Breakfast did a couple of interviews with British expats in Chicago yesterday and one of them mentioned there have been several instances of folk being robbed for their Canada Goose jackets. 

I'd imagine some homeless people are in the situation of either stealing a jacket or dieing in those temperatures. 

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The folk with their Canada Goose and Moncler jackets can justify their investments in those climes. Unlike the ones you usually see in George Street when it’s 5C.

Know what you mean. We were in Edinburgh just before Christmas and the Saturday (15th December) was the coldest I’ve ever known there. There were folk running about looking like Nanook of the North!

In regard to the second part of your post, we heard about that. As @Ray Gin correctly says, later in the thread, it was probably in the main, homeless people who were doing the robbing.

Whilst not right, it’s sort of understandable.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Know what you mean. We were in Edinburgh just before Christmas and the Saturday (15th December) was the coldest I’ve ever known there. There were folk running about looking like Nanook of the North!

In regard to the second part of your post, we heard about that. As @Ray Gin correctly says, later in the thread, it was probably in the main, homeless people who were doing the robbing.

Whilst not right, it’s sort of understandable.

Nanook of the north, quality.