Extreme Weather

Craig Gordons Gloves

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm in Minnesota and during the 4-5 months of winter we get there are usually periods where it is below 0F.  This week is set to be 'historic' according to the National Weather Service, the high for us on Wednesday is -13F (-25c) but the wind chills are forecast to be as low as -60F (-51c) with the average being -40F (-40c)

I get it's boring talking about the weather, but it's incredibly hard to explain just how that actually feels until you experience it.  The bugger of it all is that we've only had a few inches of snow whereas normally by this time we've had a good few feet to give you something to do when it's cold. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kalamazoo Jambo

• Maple Leaf

• Craig Gordons Gloves

• J.T.F.Robertson

Kalamazoo Jambo

It's quite likely that Wednesday will be the coldest day I've ever experienced, once windchill is taken into account. Can't say I'm looking forward to walking the dog :laugh:

25 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I'm in Minnesota and during the 4-5 months of winter we get there are usually periods where it is below 0F.  This week is set to be 'historic' according to the National Weather Service, the high for us on Wednesday is -13F (-25c) but the wind chills are forecast to be as low as -60F (-51c) with the average being -40F (-40c)

I get it's boring talking about the weather, but it's incredibly hard to explain just how that actually feels until you experience it.  The bugger of it all is that we've only had a few inches of snow whereas normally by this time we've had a good few feet to give you something to do when it's cold. :)

How are you enjoying the incredibly long slide tackles and hot cocoa?

40 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

It's quite likely that Wednesday will be the coldest day I've ever experienced, once windchill is taken into account. Can't say I'm looking forward to walking the dog :laugh:

I'd bet the dog isn't that chuffed either, especially if he's a wee dog and there is several inches of snow, brass monkey's spring to mind.  :laugh:

48 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I'm sure she won't mind ?

alwaysthereinspirit
57 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Let me know how it feels (or doesn't feel) as we get it Thursday.

We had 8 inches of snow last Sunday, a high of 2 on Monday with a flash freeze and then 3 " of rain Thursday and 60 degrees. No wonder everyone is sick. Hate winter.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

We've got a weather warning too, might drop to -3c.

Folk will be clearing Tesco's shelves of milk and bread as we speak.

Up to and including 2cm of snow has been forecast to lie on lower grounds as soon as tomorrow. Life is about to grind to a halt. 

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Mind and take a small hammer with you. You'll need it to free the dog, when it gets iced to a tree/lamppost.

We had a reasonably good winter up until about 10 days ago.

Now it's bitterly cold ... similar to Michigan ... with 20cm of snow due tonight.  I've had enough.

Craig Gordons Gloves

It's been a weird one, we had a few inches of snow just after Christmas, then it rained for 24 hours, then dropped to 10 degrees and everything froze, it's not really gone above 30 since but the past weekend and week coming are baltic.  Kids had a ski competition yesterday and we were stood on the slope watching them for an hour in -9f, thank god they enjoyed it! The dog has taken to peeing and shiteing very quickly again. 

Perfect MN winter is for a good couple of feet of snow and then temps to stick around 20f with occasional snow showers.  

26 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Now it's bitterly cold ... similar to Michigan ... with 20cm of snow due tonight.  I've had enough.

Brrrr. At least you guys are well prepared for it, I believe. 

40 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Up to and including 2cm of snow has been forecast to lie on lower grounds as soon as tomorrow. Life is about to grind to a halt. 

Not according to the MetOffice.  :pleasing: 

We have had a really mild winter so far, two snow showers one 2 cm, the other 5cm. Low night time temperatures, right now 9.20am, -2c. Yesterday bright sunshine and 8c. Lots of snow up high, the ski hills love it, mountain highways don,t. The less snow the less floods and rock slides in the spring. Our community have a contract for snow cleaning, I went out the other day to do it, and my keeper came out and ordered me in, referring to my advanced age.  No matter what you do you always still seem to have a boss of some sort.

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Brrrr. At least you guys are well prepared for it, I believe. 

Yes, the city is well prepared with a large fleet of snowploughs and salt trucks.

I have the added advantage of not having to go out of the house, so I don't have to worry about driving, which makes me luckier than most.

But someone has to shovel the driveway and the path, and the wife refuses, so .... 

55 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, the city is well prepared with a large fleet of snowploughs and salt trucks.

I have the added advantage of not having to go out of the house, so I don't have to worry about driving, which makes me luckier than most.

But someone has to shovel the driveway and the path, and the wife refuses, so .... 

Dangerous work shovelling snow. 

Better call Saul

Due to snow Tuesday morning ..i need to be at the s.e.c for 8am and  bet £1 that my 620am  train gets cancelled because the tracks are cold .

Kalamazoo Jambo
21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Dangerous work shovelling snow. 

Someone local to me died of a heart attack while shoveling snow last week.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why the second part if the first part applies?

luckyBatistuta

I’ve been down the shops panicking and bought up all the milk and bread type post.

As an Edinburgh polis there were two times you knew that you would be having at least one trip with a victim to the morgue. Snow shovelling time, and first spring gardening days. How often I have said the silly old fool shouldn't have being doing that any way he was seventy four years old,, now I know very well a really stupid old eighty three year old who has to be controlled by his wife because he does exactly these things. The old it winnae happen to me always prevails.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Why the second part if the first part applies?

I should maybe have said I don't have to worry about driving to work in rush hour.

It's snowing like gangbusters right now, and tomorrow the temp will plunge to -15c.  If I wait too long to get the driveway clear, it will turn icy and then it's a helluva job to clear away. 

fabienleclerq

Just spoke to a couple from Idaho who are here to escape the winter! I was like you came to Scotland in January for the weather!!!

luckyBatistuta

I should maybe have said I don't have to worry about driving to work in rush hour.

It's snowing like gangbusters right now, and tomorrow the temp will plunge to -15c.  If I wait too long to get the driveway clear, it will turn icy and then it's a helluva job to clear away. 

Would love to be there right now, just don’t get enough snow these days?

Don't know about wind-chill but coldest I've been in was -17C (Czech rep)

My scarf was frozen stiff around my neck at one point.

Strange thing was I was well prepared and as was the village. Life went on as normal. Chains on tyres etc. And off they went. If it was back home place would grind to a halt

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Someone local to me died of a heart attack while shoveling snow last week.

Apparently it’s a very high risk activity. Freezing air and strenuous exercise. That’s why Zi get the wife to do it. 

3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Don't know about wind-chill but coldest I've been in was -17C (Czech rep)

My scarf was frozen stiff around my neck at one point.

Strange thing was I was well prepared and as was the village. Life went on as normal. Chains on tyres etc. And off they went. If it was back home place would grind to a halt

Had pretty much the same experience in Slovakia up in the Tatras mountains, it's illegal not to have snow tyres on your car there in winter.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

La Paz is the place for you, Ron. 

The wife is hooked and has already put offers in on a couple of places. Me, I'm still the one who has never known what he wants or where to be, for that matter. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. :confused:

Buenos noches, Jaime.

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Just spoke to a couple from Idaho who are here to escape the winter! I was like you came to Scotland in January for the weather!!!

Coincidentally, we met a couple from Idaho when in La Paz. They lived in a place called Lareto which is a few hours  drive north and were telling us they loved the place.

Just rang a bell. :rolleyes:

Was in Beijing when it hit -30C a few years back.

Quite a strange experience as it's located right next to a desert so extremely dry so you didn't feel the cold much at all!

9 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

La Paz is the place for you, Ron. 

The wife is hooked and has already put offers in on a couple of places. Me, I'm still the one who has never known what he wants or where to be, for that matter. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. :confused:

Buenos noches, Jaime.

Bolivia or Mexico, Jim?

Either one is better than here right now, by a country mile.

I was in Oslo when it was -18. Ice was forming on my facial hair from my breathing.

Hard to put into words how cold that felt. Almost felt the life drain from me.

We went further north to Tromso, in the Arctic circle, and it was warmer -8. Felt like summer, except there was no daylight.

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I was in Oslo when it was -18. Ice was forming on my facial hair from my breathing.

Hard to put into words how cold that felt. Almost felt the life drain from me.

We went further north to Tromso, in the Arctic circle, and it was warmer -8. Felt like summer, except there was no daylight.

I've experienced this too. Was in the Swiss alps, had a day of terrible weather, white-out conditions and I've never felt as cold. Following day, it was lovely and I was skiing in a t-shirt - didn't believe the thermometer when it said it was -3.  

All this talk about snow and extremely low temperatures but nothing from Arctic Jambo - hope he is well could do with some of his wonderful photos and videos.

Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

All this talk about snow and extremely low temperatures but nothing from Arctic Jambo - hope he is well could do with some of his wonderful photos and videos.

I've missed his joyful tales of mashing up baby seal brains.

fabienleclerq
10 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Coincidentally, we met a couple from Idaho when in La Paz. They lived in a place called Lareto which is a few hours  drive north and were telling us they loved the place.

Just rang a bell. :rolleyes:

They were staying in the less exotic ladybank! Then going to Ireland and Wales, a winter tour of the Celtic nations to warm up!

53 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I've experienced this too. Was in the Swiss alps, had a day of terrible weather, white-out conditions and I've never felt as cold. Following day, it was lovely and I was skiing in a t-shirt - didn't believe the thermometer when it said it was -3.  

We spent 2 days in what was could only be described as Siberian conditions in Oslo. Maybe the body adapts really quickly to ultra-cold temps so anything from -9 upwards feels warm?

It was certainly a trip of extremes, from the unbelievably cold and snowy Oslo to the perma-darkness of Tromso.

I should add that despite the amount of snow and low temps, there were no issues with land or air transport at all. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I've missed his joyful tales of mashing up baby seal brains.

That reminds me, I'll need to try that recipe he suggested.

21 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

After March the 29th, you can shove your metric up your arse. It's imperial , awrite! :gangsta:

Edited by ri Alban

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

After March the 29th, you can shove your metric up your arse. It's imperial , awrite! :gangsta:

You're not going back to pounds, shillings and pence, I hope.  :biggrin:

I was raised on the Imperial system but did a partial conversion to metric some years ago.  Now I understand both.

Metric is better, imo. The younger generations around here were raised with metric and think that Imperial is crazy.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Bolivia or Mexico, Jim?

Either one is better than here right now, by a country mile.

Is Bolivia the place Che bit the dust?

Too scary for me, the cartels are a lot easier to get along with. :P

Brutal in T.O. right enough. It's been relatively a piece of cake out here so far but is to hit the downward slide by week's end.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Here we go.... taking the dog out was a joy this morning and even though we've got covered parking at the office, the 3 min walk from car to door was bracing.

50758740_10156998569376350_3251838882194

Ottawa Airport reportedly had their heaviest snowfall on record. That must have been something, I have been in Ottawa a number of times in the winter and it can be cold.

Edited by bobsharp

26 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Here we go.... taking the dog out was a joy this morning and even though we've got covered parking at the office, the 3 min walk from car to door was bracing.

50758740_10156998569376350_3251838882194

Sounds like taps aff kinna weather. :sunny:

:band2:

Kalamazoo Jambo

Latest forecast for Kalamazoo tomorrow is -34F to -44F taking into account windchill. Positively tropical compared to Minnesota.

6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Sleeping till end of March beginning of April is how they do it is i not?

Back in the mid 90's I remember temps of around -25C in Aberdeen, think a few mentals died walking home from the pub?