What is so bad about Edinburgh!?

hughesie27

Yeah another one of my mates actually got a job as a rep this year, he left in April and comes back in September working with First Choice I think. I will need to speak to him about that although he is rarely online! I've heard good and bad stories though.

I think if you become a rep at one of the resorts they'll give you accommodation as part of the package... and while the money is pretty pony, I doubt you'll be short of free drinks etc. if you're responsible for shuffling pished up Brits abroad into certain bars and clubs. They'll know to take care of you.

Hundreds of folks seem to manage it every year,... it's not exactly a long term plan, but if you're only 17/18 odd, why the hell not?

Ibiza, Greece etc. versus ?6 an hour at Standard Life. I don't think that requires a question mark.

Another point is that I think he earns a comfortable wage but with accommodation and food paid for he is basically saving money for the summer.

Ivanauskas33

I know how you feel Hughsie. My Granda and Uncle are always telling me you can't beat a city that has a castle at one end and a palace at the other, but I suppose its just not doing it for me at the minute. In third year I get the chance to go study abroad for a year, so I'm thinking of either going to Chicago or New York. Its a long way off, but I'm really looking forward to getting to live somewhere else for a while, and like many people have said it might make me appreciate Edinburgh a bit more. I think i remember a few folk mentioning that they've been to both these places, was wondering which one you liked best?

chester copperpot

I stayed and worked in France the 3 months in between school and uni. The best 3 months of my life.

Learned French beyond what I'd did in my higher (got a B) but had some experiences that will stay with me for life. Stayed just outside Paris, working in a coffee shop, was the dugs baws.

Travel, enjoy the world Hughesie, you're a long time dead, enjoy while you can.

Funnily enough that mate came online right after I posted. He said that working behind a bar would be a waste of time as the pay is so poor. Although I think he dislikes the unsociable hours more than anything else! His contract runs out at the end of October and is on ?600 a month only spending money on alcohol.

I left school at 18 with 5 Highers and a chip on my shoulder - had just been diagnosed with epilepsy so my RAF dream that I'd worked my bollocks off for at school was over and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

I fell into a job at Scottish Provident in St Andrew Square and ended up in the claims team. It was interesting and I took to it, but the only thing I was bothered about was it paid well. and allowed me to take a career break in my early 20s. I went inter-railing around Europe. This was easily the best year of my life, I fulfilled so many ambitions. Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna, Lake Garda, Rome, Corfu, Sicilly, Naples, Genoa, the Alps (Chamonix and Annecy mostly), Paris, the French Riviera and Madrid.

Got a few grand together and did it. Sounds hard but it was easy! When you put your mind to it, a few grand is actually easy to save quickly, especially if you're still living at home.

I came home and resumed my career in insurance. Currently doing my CII exams and Open Uni degree. Still not convinced it is the career for me. I'm at a stage where if this medical claims thing is going to be my career, a move to London is almost inevitable. But...

I still have itchy feet and once I graduate I think I have another trip in me - I'll be 33 by then and hope my other half shares my sense of adventure!

Don't know what the point of telling you this is Hughsie - I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about figuring out what you want to do with your life at your age, just live it! Get away and spend some time somewhere else and/or on the road. You'll not regret it.

chester copperpot
Funnily enough that mate came online right after I posted. He said that working behind a bar would be a waste of time as the pay is so poor. Although I think he dislikes the unsociable hours more than anything else! His contract runs out at the end of October and is on ?600 a month only spending money on alcohol.

Your mate has more disposable income than most on here. Tell him to enjoy it whilst he can.

Your mate has more disposable income than most on here. Tell him to enjoy it whilst he can.

He is having the time of his life! He was tlaking about the bartender job. He is a rep. Lucky git too.

chester copperpot
He is having the time of his life! He was tlaking about the bartender job. He is a rep. Lucky git too.

Probably pumping his way through the resort too, Bugger. :laugh:

Generic Username

Hughsie you're still a youngster so don't let people make you think that you have to decide right here, right now, what you are going to do with your life.

It's as simple as doing what you think feels right or makes you happy. That could be leaving Edinburgh, it could be staying in Edinburgh. Whatever it is, you should be doing things for yourself, not to please other people.

I would definitely recommend getting out and about, seeing the world, the whole working/living abroad thing for a year, 6 months, 3 months, a summer, whatever tickles your fancy, it's something you won't regret.

Things like Camp America are a good thing to do. You get the secuirty of a job and accomodation tagged with the experience of working in a different country. I did, and despite being in the bible belt and surrounded by kids with mullets, it was fantastic. It's something you can do at any age and as often as you like.

Travelling the world or leaving Edinburgh doesn't have to be done right away. You could do your uni/college courses and then have a year out to yourself at the end and go where ever you want. The main thing is, no doubt as others have stressed, do what YOU want.

Live your life for yourself and you'll have no regrets.

Incompetnce

The man above is right.

I'm working for a Computer Games company in Cork. I got my degree and didn't have a damn clue what to do next so now I get to work with my hobby as a job. I have to admit it's taken some of the sheen off of it but so does everything if you work with it for long periods of time.

That said, it's to know now that I no longer really want to do this line of work, and despite that, it pays enough for me to look after myself and get away from time to time with the mates I've made from all over the world.

I wouldn't be worried about doing things as other do them, do them your way as you're only going to get one shot at it, so make it a good one! I've been here 6 / 7 months now and I haven't hated / disliked anything to do with the place and it's been brilliant to get my eyes opened to another part of the world, even if it is only over in Ireland.

The question you have to ask yourself ultimately is "do I want to look back and think damn, I should've gone for that, it would've been brilliant" or do you actually want to go and do it.

In the words of Chewin' the Fat - "Take a drink" ;)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Its a weird one right enough. I've lived in Glasgow, Dundeh, Aberdeen and London and i always loved coming back to Edinburgh, even when i lived in perthshire and flew in and out of edinburgh weekly it was always special when i flew in to the airport and could see Arthurs Seat etc from the plane.

Now though i've been in the states for a couple of years and when i retunr Edinburgh isnt the city i used to pine to get back to. It's dirty as in rubbish everywhere, there are ****mers everywhere and it just doesnt 'feel' right. I've known and loved Edinburgh since i was growing up in Penicuik - but now it just doesnt feel like the city i loved.

It's still amazing when you walk along Princes St and see the Castle and the rest of the history and i will always love Edinburgh at night with the smell of the breweries and the haar etc but i can understand people that have had a taste of elsewhere wanting to leave.

Generic Username
Its a weird one right enough. I've lived in Glasgow, Dundeh, Aberdeen and London and i always loved coming back to Edinburgh, even when i lived in perthshire and flew in and out of edinburgh weekly it was always special when i flew in to the airport and could see Arthurs Seat etc from the plane.

Now though i've been in the states for a couple of years and when i retunr Edinburgh isnt the city i used to pine to get back to. It's dirty as in rubbish everywhere, there are ****mers everywhere and it just doesnt 'feel' right. I've known and loved Edinburgh since i was growing up in Penicuik - but now it just doesnt feel like the city i loved.

It's still amazing when you walk along Princes St and see the Castle and the rest of the history and i will always love Edinburgh at night with the smell of the breweries and the haar etc but i can understand people that have had a taste of elsewhere wanting to leave.

Britain as a whole is basically a manky dirty country though.

You can't go 5 yards without stepping in a dog turd with a bit of chewing gum in it and a fag butt popping out the top.

Go to other places in the world, Munich/Sydney for example, the places are absolutely spotless. It's a real trivial matter but it makes a difference and makes the place look a lot better if it's not over flowing with crap.

Still got to love Edinburgh though. It's the only city you can buy a chippy, get a lap dance, be asked for money off a homeless person, get stabbed, have a boogey in a club and add to vast quantities of sick already on the road in the one place - good old Lothian Road.

jack D and coke
I'd love to teach sports to kids but wouldn't consider it as a long term thing. I take it the voluntary work provides your mate with accommodation ect Otherwise that could be a bit pricey.

Once I get a fulltime job I will be saving saving saving that is for sure. No more lounging around.

Without doubt my biggest regret and naggin feeling in my mind is not getting about a bit more than i have. Intended to go to oz and nz about 9 years ago but ended up getting my bird pregnant and obviously that fell through. Was meant to get married but called it off 4 days before it happened about 6 years ago. Started a business with my cousin doing shopfitting that got me all over the uk and ireland and some of europe but that went pete tong around 3 years ago so last summer geared myself up for oz or south america but met my girlfriend at T in the park last year so baw was burst again ha ha. My mate ended up going to south america himself for a few months and totally loved it. Basically i would say your young enough to get a trade or something then go for it. You'd never be stuck for work if you have a trade to fall back on. But my advice would be to definately do it. Guess it maybe wasn't meant to be for me.

Edinburgh is indeed wonderful, except the bottom of Leith Walk. I would personally take a flame thrower to every rodent that habits that war zone.

Good man. I like your style. :)

If there's any fuel left after blitzing the foot of the walk, remember to take a little stroll up Lochend way. ;)

Freakin road works, every freakin where.

Knock it down and start again with the elimination of Leith.

I think the reason a lot of people leave Edinburgh, certainly the reason why I left, is for work. Absolutely love coming back, live somewhere like Leeds and you'll quickly realise that it's a fantastic city.

Dr. Bapswent
Because Young Hughsie, once they are old enough they will appeciate what they have left (or returned to).

I went to Uni through in the Weege. It was great. Had a great time.

I'm home now, have been since the end of Uni 15 years ago, and I am thankful I now live in this City and can raise my son here.

Spot on.

Only those who cant see Edinburgh for the quality place it is will leave.

And most will come to regret it.

Everyone I know who has had to move away for work has a desire to return.

Those I met who moved here for uni all wanted to stay.

Edinburgh is class.

skotskosparta
Spot on.

Only those who cant see Edinburgh for the quality place it is will leave.

And most will come to regret it.

Everyone I know who has had to move away for work has a desire to return.

Those I met who moved here for uni all wanted to stay.

Edinburgh is class.

I don't regret my move one bit, there is times when I get homesick but the pro's outweigh the con's. I suppose getting back to Edinburgh around 10times a year also helps me not miss it one bit.

hughesie27, best advise I can give is, try it move away, set some target dates for returning and who knows if your enjoying it you stay further, if not then you return. Nothing ventured nothing gained my friend!

Dr. Bapswent
I don't regret my move one bit, there is times when I get homesick but the pro's outweigh the con's. I suppose getting back to Edinburgh around 10times a year also helps me not miss it one bit.

hughesie27, best advise I can give is, try it move away, set some target dates for returning and who knows if your enjoying it you stay further, if not then you return. Nothing ventured nothing gained my friend!

Im not saying there arent other amazing places out there too.

Miller Jambo 60
I genuinely love Edinburgh, I've travelled the world but wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Best city going.

One downfall is the nightlife but I'm not much of a clubber anyway. Few mates in the pub will do me just fine.

Great City but no manufacturing jobs as it is mostly insurance and banking.

Would have moved to Manchester in 91 but Edinburgh won it hands down.

Everybody is different but most of my mates are all desperate to get outa here including me. Edinburgh is a Village and I don't really like all of the attributes to that. For example you can't go to the Gyle without seeing somebody you know.

I was looking at Australia, it seems pretty easy to get a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) and I think you can stay for up to a year. Sydney seems to be very expensive to stay in so probably avoid there but the exchange rate is nearly as high as the states!

Walter Kidd

Hughsie

If you go to Australia, you'll be paid in Aus $ not GBP.

Take it easy mate.

Everybody is different but most of my mates are all desperate to get outa here including me. Edinburgh is a Village and I don't really like all of the attributes to that. For example you can't go to the Gyle without seeing somebody you know.

I was looking at Australia, it seems pretty easy to get a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) and I think you can stay for up to a year. Sydney seems to be very expensive to stay in so probably avoid there but the exchange rate is nearly as high as the states!

I reckon that's where we differ then. I like that in a way.

Hughsie

If you go to Australia, you'll be paid in Aus $ not GBP.

Take it easy mate.

Fair point but I was thinking more of the money I'd be saving before the trip. Pretty much doubling my money. The only downside is coming back and dividing whatever money I have by 2:sad:.

I reckon that's where we differ then. I like that in a way.
It's okay, you will find friends someday.;)

It's okay, you will find friends someday.;)

;)

I think you're being unfair on Edinburgh actually. Infact, I reckon you probably take for granted that you live here. The fact that one must avoid the town at all costs during the Festival shows the world wide popularity of the small place we live in. :)

Nah I love to say I'm from here. It gives me as much pride as it does when I say I am from Scotland. I also love going up town during the festival to just walk around soaking up the atmosphere. We live in a strange place, cosmopolitan city mixes with a very divers landscape. It makes where we live unique. Unique has seen me well for the past 17 years but when I turn 18 I will be seeking a new adventure. Can't wait.

I've got my working holiday visa and am flying out in Sept for a year. Do it!!! I've done a lot of travelling and worked in America at kids summer camps but I got made redundant in February and just decided to take a chance. Can't wait. Sydney is pretty expensive but most of the other cities are reasonable. I'm staying in Adelaide as I have family there but will do loads of travelling when I am there. Booked a round the world flight too so doing New Zealand, Cook Islands and USA on way home.

jambopompey

hughsie, only you can say if you want to go away or not, most folk have said it broadens your horizons, i have had to knock a move to canada into touch due to a few things.

i have been lucky with some of the companies i have worked for that has had me working all round the UK, i have been in some great cities and some holes of cities, i would never want to change that for a second.

even if you do it for a year, you will be 19 when you come back, its not as if you will have missed much, weekends up town with your mates, so you come back having been in x,y,z. it could also give you the zest for doing something you would never have thought of if you stay at home.

as someone else has posted, have a return date in mind, if it does not work out then you know when your coming back, if it works out you can extend your stay.

just think if you do decide to see the world for however long you do, in 10 years time you could be saying what a good/bad idea it was to someone else who has the same feelings as you have the now.

say it doesn't work out and you return home, you will only be 19/20 you will not be behind some folk your age on the employment ladder, plus think of the BS you can put on your CV

i left edinburgh for aberdeen when i was 21 which was meant to be a starting point in trying out living in different places in the uk to live in. i was there 6 years though before going back to ed but i was soon bored and moved to london about a year later. other than family and a few mates (most have moved away) theres not much in edinburgh for me. i actually miss aberdeen more. can't see me living in london forever but i'm not sure i would move back to edinburgh again

I've travelled all over, lived in some lovely places especially in the south of France, loved Montpellier, but now i'm older there is no where i'd rather live than Edinburgh. I can understand wanting to get out when your young, and I'd recommend leaving and trying other places, but I love this City and doubt i'll leave again

I've travelled all over, lived in some lovely places especially in the south of France, loved Montpellier, but now i'm older there is no where i'd rather live than Edinburgh. I can understand wanting to get out when your young, and I'd recommend leaving and trying other places, but I love this City and doubt i'll leave again

France is probably the only place I could go and live comfortably as I am pretty nifty at speaking french and could pick it up fairly easily though. I'm looking forward to next year.

husref musemic

yes that true but you always said the fudge packing in edinburgh was unbeatable!

Was in London on Mon/Tues, the water is just rank, reminds me of America, cool for cleaning your teeth, nothing else. A cup of tea was rubbish unless you were getting it with bottled water.

At leats you can drink the water in london just now. We're having to boil tap water due to some bug. Having to make my tea with Peroni at the moment and clean my teeth with Wicked Blue.

The Old Tolbooth
At leats you can drink the water in london just now. We're having to boil tap water due to some bug. Having to make my tea with Peroni at the moment and clean my teeth with Wicked Blue.

But you did that when you were up here! :rolleyes:

I have done a fair bit of travelling and always enjoyed it but was always glad to get back to Edinburgh. Edinburgh however is no longer the place it was and now that I am 53 I am contemplating early retirement and planning on moving to the warmer and sunnier climes of Lanzarote.

But you did that when you were up here! :rolleyes:

Naw I made my tea with McEwans Export in those days. Only started drinking Lager when I came down south and found out all the Ale was warm and flat as a witch's whatsit.;)

Archived