What is so bad about Edinburgh!?

hughesie27

Another one of my mates has made plans to leave home after the summer and move down to England.

That will be the 3rd this year. And another has moved up north to get away from this dump.

Personally I'd also like to move away in the not too distant future as life in Edinburgh isn't that appealing anymore. The other day my mate even asked me if I was up for moving abroad next year for 5/6 months during the summer and look for jobs as barmen.

Why does the young generation want to leave what is clearly one of the best cities in Europe?

Another one of my mates has made plans to leave home after the summer and move down to England.

That will be the 3rd this year. And another has moved up north to get away from this dump.

Personally I'd also like to move away in the not too distant future as life in Edinburgh isn't that appealing anymore. The other day my mate even asked me if I was up for moving abroad next year for 5/6 months during the summer and look for jobs as barmen.

Why does the young generation want to leave what is clearly one of the best cities in Europe?

Everytime I come back from a trip away somewhere I'm gutted to be coming back cause the place I've just been seems so superior, Newcastle in particular craps all over Edinburgh for girls and bars. There's too many ******s in Edinburgh as well, be it junkies or general chavs, but you'd notice them everywhere after a while I guess. The weather is **** poor too but that's not specific to Edinburgh. I'd go abroad for a few months in a second if I had a couple of mates that were up for it.

How old are you mate?

What you just said pretty much sums up my feelings.

I know me and a mate have always wanted to get the hell outa here and just open up a bar abroad but the chances of actually pulling it off would be slim.

Because Young Hughsie, once they are old enough they will appeciate what they have left (or returned to).

I went to Uni through in the Weege. It was great. Had a great time.

I'm home now, have been since the end of Uni 15 years ago, and I am thankful I now live in this City and can raise my son here.

Edinburgh is wonderful.

I've been in more than 50 countries around the world and nothing* would tempt me to live away from Edinburgh. And as global warming kicks in, it just gets better and better.

* Aside from independence.

I know exactly how you feel, Hughesie. I think a lot of it is an age thing.

I never thought I'd want to travel abroad, but when I hit 5th/6th year it's all I wanted to do.

If you can get a few mates together go for it. What's a year out of your life?

Edinburgh is wonderful.

I've been in more than 50 countries around the world and nothing* would tempt me to live away from Edinburgh. And as global warming kicks in, it just gets better and better.

Agreed.

In general, when we go away abroad my stance is "lovely to visit but I wouldn't want to live here". The only place that has came close to changing that was New Orleans.

I would suggest that the OP's thoughts may be a "spread your wings" away from the family unit as opposed to thinking that Edinburgh is pesh.

I would suggest that the OP's thoughts may be a "spread your wings" away from the family unit as opposed to thinking that Edinburgh is pesh.

I'd agree. The "grass is greener" syndrome that is more likely to afflict the yoof rather than more mature people.

Don't get me wrong, there are places I've beem that are light years ahead of Edinburgh for certain things, but not as an overall package.

Incidentally, I've never been to New Orleans.

jambopompey

hughsie, think of it as seeing the world, im now thinking of returning to the athens of the north.

i think your mates are looking around there surroundings and not seeing anything there for them, your young, spread your wings. you are young enough that if it goes tits up then it is easy to get over, would you rather stay and regret or go away and maybe come back.

i have stayed in different places around the UK, most are ok for a while, but you do get homesick, i would never want to stay in London again.

take a chance, even if its only for a few months over the summer, think of all the experiences you will gain, plus new friends, some may even be mates for the rest of your life.

I'd agree. The "grass is greener" syndrome that is more likely to afflict the yoof rather than more mature people.

Don't get me wrong, there are places I've beem that are light years ahead of Edinburgh for certain things, but not as an overall package.

Incidentally, I've never been to New Orleans.

It was the attitude of the people that got me Therapist. We (myself and my wheelchair bound father) were well looked after by all and sundry and treated like friends by staff and fellow patrons alike. We did a whole tour of the south but New Orleans was just fantastic. This was Pre Katrina though, I wonder how the French Quarter (the area that benefits from the Jazz festival and Mardis Gras and was abuzz with music and general jollification) is now.

I would agree with you re the package. Of course, Edinburgh is far from perfect, it just ticks more boxes than other places I have been. I haven't managed 50 countries yet though! :)

When you are about 20 you want to leave and spend a year or two away from Edinburgh. Good chance to see a different world and get out of the rut of always being around the same folks. When I come home I meet some who have not changed in 40 years! That is not good.

Two years away may make you appreciate the place more, depending on where you end up of course.

Walter Payton
When you are about 20 you want to leave and spend a year or two away from Edinburgh. Good chance to see a different world and get out of the rut of always being around the same folks. When I come home I meet some who have not changed in 40 years! That is not good.

Two years away may make you appreciate the place more, depending on where you end up of course.

Agree entirely. I lived in Australia for almost 5 years and loved every minute of it, but when it became obvious that career progression for me meant returning to the UK I couldn't wait to get back to Edinburgh. Living here we don't really appreciate the place or realise how special a city it is, but I think the only place I've been travelling or working that could almost be as special would be Queenstown in New Zealand.

I genuinely love Edinburgh, I've travelled the world but wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Best city going.

One downfall is the nightlife but I'm not much of a clubber anyway. Few mates in the pub will do me just fine.

Walter Kidd

Travel Hughsie. Broaden your experiences. Live your life, you only get one shot.

Edinburgh is indeed wonderful, except the bottom of Leith Walk. I would personally take a flame thrower to every rodent that habits that war zone.

Marmeladent?rtchen

I live abroad and love comming back to Edinburgh. I still want to see more of the world but one day I want to come back.

I would suggest going abroad at a young age. I did and learnt a lot of new things and a lot about myself.

At the end of the day " home is where the Hearts is" ;-)

The Old Tolbooth

Hughsie, if I could live my life all over again I would travel and see some of the world at a young age like you mate. I'm now 37 and starting to regret not having seen more of the world as I've just realised I actually do like to experience different cultures.

Although London is a piggery, I hated that place!

Have to confess even as a boy I always wanted to get out of Edinburgh. One of the benefits of National Service was that I could make the decision to go to the army at age 171/2 with my fathers signature as he knew I would be getting called up at eighteen anyway. I don't know what it was specifically about Edinburgh, I suspect the dullness and greyness of the town when I was young had some impact. I loved the sun and desert in Egypt, and I loved the cosmopolitan and activities of London.

I kept a promise and returned to Edinburgh and tholed it for twelve years, I then came to Canada on vacation, loved everything about the West Coast and moved here as soon as possible after. I love Vancouver, but especially love where I am now, the warm weather and beautiful scenery are fantastic.

I must admit to being a bit hypocritical though, after my trip to Edinburgh last year I told our daughter the one thing I didn't enjoy was that Edinburgh wasn't the place I had known.

I recommend the living abroad for a bit....I went to lyon (shock) for a year with uni and I lived away in Aberdeen for most of last five years.

I love Edinburgh....but...I don't think I will be here forever, would love to move back to France or possibly further afield but have to convince the other half.

My sister, who for years said she never wanted to live abroad and loved Edinburgh, recently emigrated to Dubai and she is loving it...going out for a visit in August so who knows if I will come back ;)

It's a common thing the world over. Wherever you live and are brought up never seems to have the excitement of other places. Just look at the number of young adults that migrate to Edinburgh from elsewhere in the UK and abroad, and by and large love the place. But in time, most will end up back from where they started.

I'm now 39, and for me, I'd now hate the thought of living in any other UK city. Edinburgh is a uniquely wonderful place for bringing up a family, and it's got most of what you could want from any city, is a managable size, and has 1 great football team. It's plus-points overwhelmingly outweigh any shortcomings that it has. I'm actually quite proud telling people I live here.

Edinburgh's a great place but you have to go out and see the world while your young free and single. It's not until you go away for a while do you really appreciate how great Edinburgh is.

If you don't you'll end up with living the suburban nightmare owning a house having a wife listening to coldplay, shopping at gap and reading the gaurdian counting down to your retirement.

Theres a whole world out there ken gadgey?!

Personally, I love Edinburgh and am immensely proud of being from there. I study in Stirling and genuinely get excited getting off the train on a Friday afternoon at Waverley, as you just get surrounded in 'Edinburgh'; it's totally unique. I have got to know a lot of foreign visitors to our city over the years and not one of them has disliked the place; most have loved it and stayed for a legnthy duration or intended to come back. I understand where you and your friends are coming from though, mate, as any long duration of time spent in a place will reveal its inadequacies and bad qualities.

As I get a bit older and my life starts to become more career-orientated, these inadequacies are becoming more obvious and more relevant to me. Most worrying is the general cost of living (while the massive increase isn't exclusive to Edinburgh, I feel it's a prime example of what can happen when a place becomes 'desirable'). I've automatically started to think about things like whether or not I'll be able to afford a house in the city, whether or not I'll drive and whether or not the current economic and political climate enables a comfortable living environment.

There are a lot of **** things about living in Edinburgh and, indeed, the UK. You, personally, need to decide whether these things are bad enough to force you to uproot entirely and move away from your friends and family. Once you've made that decision, your path will be clearer. There is, however, a massive difference between travelling and emigrating. Go out and see the world while you can and, maybe, when you get back you'll appreciate how good Edinburgh really is.

I should say that, as I'm typing this, I'm sipping a 75p beer overlooking the centre of Warsaw at nearly 10pm; the temperature (I'm guessing) is just below 20 and there's a lovely breeze blowing in from the open window. I haven't seen a cloud in the 3 days I've been here and I'm tanned already.

Over here the buses, trams and subways are basically free (unless you're unlucky), the exchange rate is 4.1zl - 1GBP, food is cheap, beer is cheaper and everyone seems friendly. Marta and I have talked about one of us moving to the other's country permanently; it's just a matter of who's moving. The offer will always be there and, Hughesie, it looks like I have to make the same decisions you do.

The Old Tolbooth
I haven't seen a cloud in the 3 days I've been here and I'm tanned already.

Do you look like this now Neave?

Image99.gif

Ha ha, touche mate!! ;)

I'll post some photies when me and the burd I'm staying with do the touristy stuff. She studies here in Warsaw but her exams are finished so we're heading North soon back home; only a few days left in this place.

The wimmin are absolutely fantastic, btw.

Stuart Lyon

You young guys should go for it and travel the world. You're too young to be tied to a job and should go now while you'll enjoy it. If you don't do it you might regret it.

Agree entirely. I lived in Australia for almost 5 years and loved every minute of it, but when it became obvious that career progression for me meant returning to the UK I couldn't wait to get back to Edinburgh. Living here we don't really appreciate the place or realise how special a city it is, but I think the only place I've been travelling or working that could almost be as special would be Queenstown in New Zealand.

New Zealand is the only place I can imagine living outside of Scotland. Funnily enough, I've got a couple of Kiwi friends in their mid twenties who have been here a year and are absolutely gutted because they've got visa trouble and are going to have to go home. They think Edinburgh is incredible and had hoped to be able to get an arrangement worked out to stay longer-term.

I think Edinburgh's biggest problem currently is the cost of living here, but I've taken the view that there's a few places that are worth paying a bit extra to stay in, and Edinburgh's definitely one of them.

If you don't you'll end up with living the suburban nightmare owning a house having a wife listening to coldplay, shopping at gap and reading the gaurdian counting down to your retirement.

Feck - that's just about me (bar the Coldplay bit)! Chuck in a couple of kids and it's actually no that bad a life to be honest.

Hughesie - better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't.

Go for it mate - see the world...we might even have a manager by the time you get back.

If I was to go it would probably be next April/May. Has anybody done this before? How easy is it to get a job as well and is a barman a decent living (about 3 of us paying the rent)

Finally anywhere in particular? I was thinking Zante as lots of my slightly older mate went this year and they loved it.

This is something I wreckon I would love as I enjoy working with the public although I'm pretty naive in that respect.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I think you need a spell away from Edinburgh to really appreciate it

I moved away when I was 21 for a couple of years then again when I was 26 and only moved back here just before Christmas last year after nearly 12 years in London and 2 in Nottingam. I couldn't wait to get the feck out of here back then. I wanted away from this wee parochial place that I was stuck in. I wanted the bright lights and glamour of the big city.

The things that annoyed me 19 years ago I now really enjoy.

I really like that there's a sense of community here and that my neighbours say hello to me and invite me round to have a beer in the garden when its sunny.

I love that you can walk from on side of the city to another in a short time.

I like having a local on my doorstep and that I have a circle of friends within walking distance of my house who'll go for a beer and are not a hour away on the tube.

I like that people talk to me at the bus stop in the morning and you can share a joke with a stranger in the street.

I'm glad I moved away and I loved my time in London, and I miss the city (Nottingham I'd rather forget) but I really apprecioate being back here now

The Old Tolbooth
I'll post some photies when me and the burd I'm staying with do the touristy stuff. She studies here in Warsaw but her exams are finished so we're heading North soon back home; only a few days left in this place.

The wimmin are absolutely fantastic, btw.

What is it about Polish burds? :P

chester copperpot

I love Edinburgh, a wonderful city, I cant think of one better.

I have now lived in Glasgow, which contrary to opinions on here, is superb also.

One thing that strikes me is the pay structure that companies adopt in Scotland which drives the workforce down south. I work for a large bank, and its only recently they started to pay people in Edinburgh similar to rates in the rest of the U.K, outwith London. My colleague in London gets paid 6K a year town allowance just for the pleasure of working in the Big Smoke. They are also on a higher banded salary than those in the rest of the country, however up until recently, someone who worked in Leeds for my company would be paid more than someone doing the same job in Edinburgh. Doesn't seem fair, but people will go where the cash is.

So my point is, there's a lot of opportunities down south with jobs etc, and they're normally better paid. Luckily I now have a unique role in my bank, and so therefor are paid a kings ransom. ;)

Boaby Ewing

Hughesie -- your attitude that you couldn't open a bar abroad is one of the things that dicks me off about Edinburgh. But that's probably the same for everyone's home town when they see the possibility of young potential being stifled.

I've been on JKB for a couple of years now, whilst you've been a reasonably consistent contributor, and it's clear you're an intelligent young lad... but the last few months all you've been talking about is looking for an apprenticeship. No university, no travelling, no trying to make a go of it on your own.

There's nothing wrong with learning a trade, but is that seriously all you want to do right now when you've got your life rolling out in front of you?

If you don't fancy university (and it's by no means for everyone) take off for a couple of years and go see the world.

Work for a wee bit, wherever you fancy and can get a visa, and have a wee think about it. Do a bit of bar work in one of the numerous holiday resorts round the world, and if you still think you want to a run a bar, see if you can find a way to finance it. It's not rocket science, just a lot of hard work, some good ideas, and the ability to balance the books.

I've always liked Edinburgh, but after spending 23 of my first 24 years there I was quite happy to get away from it. Now I love it when I get to go back; and I can see it with new eyes.

Of all the places I've visited or lived in around the world, the only places I can picture settling down are Edinburgh, Vancouver, New York, Beirut and maybe London.

But there's nowhere I've ever regretted seeing.

Don't sell yourself short.

Hughesie -- your attitude that you couldn't open a bar abroad is one of the things that dicks me off about Edinburgh. But that's probably the same for everyone's home town when they see the possibility of young potential being stifled.

I've been on JKB for a couple of years now, whilst you've been a reasonably consistent contributor, and it's clear you're an intelligent young lad... but the last few months all you've been talking about is looking for an apprenticeship. No university, no travelling, no trying to make a go of it on your own.

There's nothing wrong with learning a trade, but is that seriously all you want to do right now when you've got your life rolling out in front of you?

If you don't fancy university (and it's by no means for everyone) take off for a couple of years and go see the world.

Work for a wee bit, wherever you fancy and can get a visa, and have a wee think about it. Do a bit of bar work in one of the numerous holiday resorts round the world, and if you still think you want to a run a bar, see if you can find a way to finance it. It's not rocket science, just a lot of hard work, some good ideas, and the ability to balance the books.

I've always liked Edinburgh, but after spending 23 of my first 24 years there I was quite happy to get away from it. Now I love it when I get to go back; and I can see it with new eyes.

Of all the places I've visited or lived in around the world, the only places I can picture settling down are Edinburgh, Vancouver, New York, Beirut and maybe London.

But there's nowhere I've ever regretted seeing.

Don't sell yourself short.

To be honest, I really don't know what I want to 'be' yet but a plea on Kickback for some help with apprenticeships didn't hurt. Short term plan is to get an office job. Nothing permanent but I need to get some decent cash flow if I want to go anywhere. the same mate who asked to get away for a few months walked out of school with his Standard Grades and a few Int 2's. He quickly walked into a 16K job with great promotion prospects, which he will happily walk away from next year in order to get away. The only thing I know I am good at is working with people and bar life is the most attractive idea I can think of. It would be great fun and hopefully very profitable. That's a few years down the line though. Where do you live now DDlN? What made you want to leave so much?

chester copperpot
I'd come home tommorrow. At least you can drink the bloody tap water there.

Was in London on Mon/Tues, the water is just rank, reminds me of America, cool for cleaning your teeth, nothing else. A cup of tea was rubbish unless you were getting it with bottled water.

The Old Tolbooth
Was in London on Mon/Tues, the water is just rank, reminds me of America, cool for cleaning your teeth, nothing else. A cup of tea was rubbish unless you were getting it with bottled water.

Since when did you drink tea ya lush!!! ;)

chester copperpot
Since when did you drink tea ya lush!!! ;)

Well I was meeting my new boss, thought it the right thing to do. He didn't appreciate it though, as my text about the buckfast told ye.

He picked 16 quid bottles of wine at this restaurant we were at, and they were rank, so I told him he'd appreciate a nice bottle of Buckie next time he's up here meeting me, so he's penciled it into his diary. HAHA. I told him it was that good, that they have it on optics in some pubs in Glasgow.

He'd never heard of it before, and thank god he didn't spot the sarcasm in my voice as the rest of the table pished themselves laughing.

davemclaren
Well I was meeting my new boss, thought it the right thing to do. He didn't appreciate it though, as my text about the buckfast told ye.

He picked 16 quid bottles of wine at this restaurant we were at, and they were rank, so I told him he'd appreciate a nice bottle of Buckie next time he's up here meeting me, so he's penciled it into his diary. HAHA. I told him it was that good, that they have it on optics in some pubs in Glasgow.

He'd never heard of it before, and thank god he didn't spot the sarcasm in my voice as the rest of the table pished themselves laughing.

You may wait a little while for that next promotion. :rolleyes:

chester copperpot
You may wait a little while for that next promotion. :rolleyes:

Mate, he drank 3 bottles of wine with his meal, I think he can handle just about anything I throw at him. He's the sort of guy that will love the rawness of the Weegie Scuumbag. Well thats what I'm telling myself. I can wait for the promo, I aint in no rush. ;)

I know how you feel, I've been in a sort of limbo since I was your age, I said the same thing to myself, that I'd work in an office for a while then go off and see the world. My aim then was to come back and get into film making and maybe move out to NZ. Guess what, never happened, got stuck at office work bit. I'm 23 now and I've suddenly found myself at the dreaded 'crossroads' and feel I really have to decide sooner rather than later what direction I'm heading - I'm just on the path to learning a trade (something that never appealed until this year) and just starting to get back round to my screen writing aspiration.

So I would say, whatever you decide to do, make sure you don't get stuck in a rut. Don't just make plans and then put them back. Get the money together and do it!

What about voluntary work abroad? A friend of mine is doing some sports charity work out in Africa and he says it's amazing, another guy is going to teach English in China. I think that could really be an eye opener. It is not something I think I could manage personally but would it be something you would ever consider trying? It could be a terrific experience if you have the confidence to do that sort of thing and one to change the way you view the world.

The Old Tolbooth

I'd have pished myself at that too heh heh!!

So, back to job seekers allowance after his visit to Glasgow then :rolleyes:

Boaby Ewing
To be honest, I really don't know what I want to 'be' yet but a plea on Kickback for some help with apprenticeships didn't hurt. Short term plan is to get an office job. Nothing permanent but I need to get some decent cash flow if I want to go anywhere. the same mate who asked to get away for a few months walked out of school with his Standard Grades and a few Int 2's. He quickly walked into a 16K job with great promotion prospects, which he will happily walk away from next year in order to get away. The only thing I know I am good at is working with people and bar life is the most attractive idea I can think of. It would be great fun and hopefully very profitable. That's a few years down the line though. Where do you live now DDlN? What made you want to leave so much?

I live in London now. I've been down here for most of the past four years with stints in Madrid and Manchester as part of my previous job. It's by no means a perfect place but I like the energy of the city, the variety and the career prospects.

Personally, I wasn't desperate to leave Edinburgh, but I finished uni aged 23 having spent my entire life there (apart from one year studying in Seattle) without a clear idea of what I wanted to do.

I'd seen too many older mates with good degrees etc. in the same boat pishing their twenties away temping or doing menial jobs while 'they figured it out' and I thought 'feck that'... so applied for a few jobs in the City that had nowt to do with my degree, but I thought might provide a bit of a challenge and let me see a bit of the world... even if it was just London.

Ended up blagging my way into a career which wasn't ideal for a couple of years, but gave me more than enough money to enjoy the spare time I had, made me a load of new mates from all over the world, let me work in Madrid for five months, put me through training in Chicago etc. and taught me a lot about business and the world in general. Tbh I ended up hating the job... but I guess the point is I don't regret doing it. And when I eventually jacked it, I had a much clearer idea of what I wanted to do, and some feckin' good experience under my belt which has stood me in good stead ever since.

Couple of years on I'm in a career I love, even if things in the job itself are a bit ****** right now as we're undergoing a merger which has created a lot of uncertainty. But that's life. And I've got an interview within the enlarged company for a new role in New York in a couple of weeks time (though, if I'm being honest, I don't think I'll get it... but if you don't ask... ).

Anyway, things are never perfect, but having spoken to a lot of people with a good few years on me, the most common refrain is "I wish I'd travelled more, or taken that opportunity" never "Oh, I really wish I'd done the sensible thing and settled down earlier."

By all means work for a few months and pay your own way abroad... but if you can line up work and accommodation before you go, how long does it really take to save enough for a flight and some emergency cash?

I'd love to teach sports to kids but wouldn't consider it as a long term thing. I take it the voluntary work provides your mate with accommodation ect Otherwise that could be a bit pricey.

Once I get a fulltime job I will be saving saving saving that is for sure. No more lounging around.

I live in London now. I've been down here for most of the past four years with stints in Madrid and Manchester as part of my previous job. It's by no means a perfect place but I like the energy of the city, the variety and the career prospects.

Personally, I wasn't desperate to leave Edinburgh, but I finished uni aged 23 having spent my entire life there (apart from one year studying in Seattle) without a clear idea of what I wanted to do.

I'd seen too many older mates with good degrees etc. in the same boat pishing their twenties away temping or doing menial jobs while 'they figured it out' and I thought 'feck that'... so applied for a few jobs in the City that had nowt to do with my degree, but I thought might provide a bit of a challenge and let me see a bit of the world... even if it was just London.

Ended up blagging my way into a career which wasn't ideal for a couple of years, but gave me more than enough money to enjoy the spare time I had, made me a load of new mates from all over the world, let me work in Madrid for five months, put me through training in Chicago etc. and taught me a lot about business and the world in general. Tbh I ended up hating the job... but I guess the point is I don't regret doing it. And when I eventually jacked it, I had a much clearer idea of what I wanted to do, and some feckin' good experience under my belt which has stood me in good stead ever since.

Couple of years on I'm in a career I love, even if things in the job itself are a bit ****** right now as we're undergoing a merger which has created a lot of uncertainty. But that's life. And I've got an interview within the enlarged company for a new role in New York in a couple of weeks time (though, if I'm being honest, I don't think I'll get it... but if you don't ask... ).

Anyway, things are never perfect, but having spoken to a lot of people with a good few years on me, the most common refrain is "I wish I'd travelled more, or taken that opportunity" never "Oh, I really wish I'd done the sensible thing and settled down earlier."

By all means work for a few months and pay your own way abroad... but if you can line up work and accommodation before you go, how long does it really take to save enough for a flight and some emergency cash?

The man talks some sense. I was offered a job in Zante last year at a club I went to a lot. If I was year older then I would have went back over this year and took it which is a downer. Sounds like you made a few good choices and you seem to be getting some breaks, hope that interview goes well as America is one place I would love to visit more. The main problem is that working abroad in a bar isn't going to give me a lot of cash, is it really enough to live off? I'll need to do some research myself. Cheers for your help:).

Hughesie - better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't.

Yeah as if that works, I tried that defence in court.

Edinburgh's a great place but you have to go out and see the world while your young free and single. It's not until you go away for a while do you really appreciate how great Edinburgh is.

Theres a whole world out there ken gadgey?!

Gap jeans are quality. All my jeans are from gap. Only jeans mind everything else is a bit naff.

Boaby Ewing
The man talks some sense. I was offered a job in Zante last year at a club I went to a lot. If I was year older then I would have went back over this year and took it which is a downer. Sounds like you made a few good choices and you seem to be getting some breaks, hope that interview goes well as America is one place I would love to visit more. The main problem is that working abroad in a bar isn't going to give me a lot of cash, is it really enough to live off? I'll need to do some research myself. Cheers for your help:).

I think if you become a rep at one of the resorts they'll give you accommodation as part of the package... and while the money is pretty pony, I doubt you'll be short of free drinks etc. if you're responsible for shuffling pished up Brits abroad into certain bars and clubs. They'll know to take care of you.

Hundreds of folks seem to manage it every year,... it's not exactly a long term plan, but if you're only 17/18 odd, why the hell not?

Ibiza, Greece etc. versus ?6 an hour at Standard Life. I don't think that requires a question mark.

Archived