What do Hearts need?

dougiejt

As it says on the tin. What would take hearts to the next level?

Does Levein need to go?

We were obviously lacking creativity last night, would Adam solve that problem? Or do we need more changes??

J.T.F.Robertson

I'm now of the opinion it's time he went although I'm aware it's "unlikely", to put it mildly.

Our recruitment has been for the most part, utterly abysmal, our "style" of play is pedestrian, predictable and boring as feck. He's had way more than enough time to at least show some signs of progress on that front and yet if anything, we're managing to look worse.

Have never been an anti-Craig person but methinks Ann is flogging a dead horse by "staying course".

It wasn't that long ago we were flying high at the top of the league and everyone was buzzing. Now I know that injuries have taken there toll on us, which has in turn effected the players morale,  but with everyone getting back to fitness can we regain any kind of the form we had at the beginning of the season. We are crying out for more creativity. Can management get the best out of these set of players, i always thought it's the beginning of the end when managers start openly slating players.

Echo all the above. 

We we need to stick to one formation, work on it and get some consistency going. This constant chopping and changing things isn’t helping matters.

We also need some pace and quality down the right flank. 

Levein needs to get Peter Houston back in there and get rid of his cult of Daly, the boy from Scooby Doo and Liam Fox.  All the chopping and changing is a pain in the arse and overthinking of gargantuan standards.

Bazzas right boot

More towels at the side of the pitch to ensure the ball is not only dry, but super dry before a long throw in. 

The ball hasn't been dry enough to get the benifit.

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

11 minutes ago, Walter Kidd said:

Levein needs to get Peter Houston back in there and get rid of his cult of Daly, the boy from Scooby Doo and Liam Fox.  All the chopping and changing is a pain in the arse and overthinking of gargantuan standards.

Not a bad shout actually. 

I’d actually rather have Neilson right now and believe me that’s hard to come out with.

I give him to the split and if this shit continues then he can go.

ive defended him to the hilt but last night was indefensible 

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

I’d actually rather have Neilson right now and believe me that’s hard to come out with.

I give him to the split and if this shit continues then he can go.

ive defended him to the hilt but last night was indefensible 

I think most people are feeling the same way but will Anne realistically axe Levien? I can't see it. I don't think Levein is getting the best out of the players at the moment and a change could possibly make a difference but Levein is so intertwined in the club it would be hard to get rid of him

51 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I'm now of the opinion it's time he went although I'm aware it's "unlikely", to put it mildly.

Our recruitment has been for the most part, utterly abysmal, our "style" of play is pedestrian, predictable and boring as feck. He's had way more than enough time to at least show some signs of progress on that front and yet if anything, we're managing to look worse.

Have never been an anti-Craig person but methinks Ann is flogging a dead horse by "staying course".

This pretty much 

Craig loves the club i get it but he can't cut it jn this day an age as a manager. That's why  he hung it up previously the only reason he took it was because he recruited Cathro 

Craig if you do love Hearts like i fully believe you do its time to step down 

A fresh pair of eyes on the first team front. Would keep Levein in charge until the end of the season but call it there and bring in a manager, not a production line coach or whatever but an actual football manager.

1 hour ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

A heart...

Correct and passion. Need to stop tinkering and play same type of tactics especially at home i.e. attack! 

A manager who doesn’t use dinosaur tactics, a manager who sticks with the same team each week and playing players in their natural position, a manager who changes tactics during a match when needed, and a manager who can out smart bottom of the table opposition when playing at home with a much superior squad of players.

CL's party line is that we press other teams from the off, we have hired good skilful players and the academy is bringing in a steady stream of youngsters though to first team. Absolute guff. I admired CL as a player and as a dyed in the wool Jambo but he's lost the plot with his comments yesterday. 

29 minutes ago, Cade said:

A settled team and a preferred formation.

Constantly changing both the line-up and the shape is wrecking any momentum we build.

Which we had at start of season.

I'm open to new management. Someone like Clarke though difficult to find.

But for me we need more players that are going to take responsibility. Last night was a classic where the players let the game happen to them. No one imposed themselves on the game, took it on to make an impact. Mulraney did okay. A few like Djoum huffed and puffed.

But that is what is missing. Naismith shows them up. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A settled team like the one that went roaring off to the top of the table back in 2018.

Loved that team. Those were the days 

J Cheever Loophole
3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Echo all the above. 

We we need to stick to one formation, work on it and get some consistency going. This constant chopping and changing things isn’t helping matters.

We also need some pace and quality down the right flank. 

Naw, we need to get the ball out quicker to our players shouting for the ball, unmarked but the time we piddle about the options gone!

Very impressed by their number 17 last night, who was he?

3 minutes ago, J Cheever Loophole said:

Naw, we need to get the ball out quicker to our players shouting for the ball, unmarked but the time we piddle about the options gone!

Very impressed by their number 17 last night, who was he?

Andy Dales, on loan from Scunthorpe 

The more the season wears on the more our start appears a false dawn. The win against Hibs was a real 'right time' result if ever there was one - it gave everyone a boost before the break and almost took attention away from how bad we were. 

The cup win was an uninspiring but hugely welcome result - it keeps the season going. 

However, injuries aside, the 0-5 loss at Livingston and last night's embarrassing result are as poor a pair of results as we've had in a long time. 

There were calls for Tommy Wright before the season started and they were rightly or wrongly scoffed at - especially once we were top of the league. Yet his St Johnstone side now sit above us in the league!! And then there's Killie, both of these teams have far lesser resources than us. 

Something seems amiss at the club - a few injuries to key players - and it's almost like we've just thrown the towel in. Defeat seems easily accepted. 

When we lost 3-2 at Dundee after being 2-0 up a couple of seasons ago there were threads on here about how spineless we were - after last night it seems nothing much has changed - apart from about 30 players coming and going!! 

We might not have had the best of sides in the relegation season but they had more guts and fight than the current crop. 

Like most fans I can accept defeat in games but when there seems to be a lack of passion or desire that's a different story.

if we play like last night or the last half hour at Livingston we could suffer one our biggest humiliations ever in the Scottish Cup. Make no mistake - Auchinleck will be totally up for that game - and our performance last night will give them hope. 

Edited by skinnybob72

J Cheever Loophole
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Andy Dales, on loan from Scunthorpe 

A player like, impressed everyone around me?

It should have been ten
5 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

Fair comment ??

6 hours ago, dougiejt said:

Does Levein need to go?

We were obviously lacking creativity last night, would Adam solve that problem? Or do we need more changes??

Uche, Naismith, Garuccio, Haring and possibly Zlamal inserted into last nights team with everyone injury free and fit enough to perform. Only when we have all of that can we really see where we are, take stock and work out the next move. A lot of short memories on football forums, I had a wee peek over at BearsDen and they've gone from believing they were title challengers to calling Gerrard out as naive and many saying that he should go. Fickle folk, footballs fans.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

What's George Burley doing these days? I loved turning up at Tynecastle to watch his team, could history possibly repeat itself? perhaps with Paul Hartley as Assistant manager and a coaching role for the great Skacel, wishful thinking? perhaps, but, a diehard Jambo like myself can dream of the return of happy days, we're going nowhere fast with Levein and his motley crew.

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, dougiejt said:

Does Levein need to go?

The more Naismith's you can pick up the better, that's why I would have taken Adam, but I'm sure there's others around. And I think we could easily get stronger wingers than we have. But I think we are in a decent place, I like the balance of youth and experience 

7 hours ago, dougiejt said:

Does Levein need to go?

Two wingers who can cross the ball would be a start. 

J.T.F.Robertson

We need our players to display a reasonable facsimile of the passion we, the fans do, and this has not been apparent for the majority of the past two or three seasons and I for one, am fed up with it. There is absolutely no excuse for half-assed "effort". 

Past time for a change.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

The more the season wears on the more our start appears a false dawn. The win against Hibs was a real 'right time' result if ever there was one - it gave everyone a boost before the break and almost took attention away from how bad we were. 

The cup win was an uninspiring but hugely welcome result - it keeps the season going. 

However, injuries aside, the 0-5 loss at Livingston and last night's embarrassing result are as poor a pair of results as we've had in a long time. 

There were calls for Tommy Wright before the season started and they were rightly or wrongly scoffed at - especially once we were top of the league. Yet his St Johnstone side now sit above us in the league!! And then there's Killie, both of these teams have far lesser resources than us. 

Something seems amiss at the club - a few injuries to key players - and it's almost like we've just thrown the towel in. Defeat seems easily accepted. 

When we lost 3-2 at Dundee after being 2-0 up a couple of seasons ago there were threads on here about how spineless we were - after last night it seems nothing much has changed - apart from about 30 players coming and going!! 

We might not have had the best of sides in the relegation season but they had more guts and fight than the current crop. 

Like most fans I can accept defeat in games but when there seems to be a lack of passion or desire that's a different story.

if we play like last night or the last half hour at Livingston we could suffer one our biggest humiliations ever in the Scottish Cup. Make no mistake - Auchinleck will be totally up for that game - and our performance last night will give them hope. 

40 players have come in over the last two years,not sure how many have left. The cup game is two weeks away and we have three hard games before then.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Uche, Naismith, Garuccio, Haring and possibly Zlamal inserted into last nights team with everyone injury free and fit enough to perform. Only when we have all of that can we really see where we are, take stock and work out the next move. A lot of short memories on football forums, I had a wee peek over at BearsDen and they've gone from believing they were title challengers to calling Gerrard out as naive and many saying that he should go. Fickle folk, footballs fans.

I don’t think ever will ever have everyone fit, I can’t remember the last time it happened but it’s not since we came out of administration . Whatever the reason it just doesn’t happen. I’m sure the Hibs fans are revolting too, doesn’t help us.

SpruceBringsteen

I'll be serious for once:

1. Craig Levein in charge of the youth system and nothing else

2. An end to the absolute nonsense of promoting coaches from within

3. Players who actually have a modicum of professional pride

Despite the order, I feel number 3 is the most important and yet the most unlikely to be dealt with.

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

J.T.F.Robertson
30 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'll be serious for once:

1. Craig Levein in charge of the youth system and nothing else

2. An end to the absolute nonsense of promoting coaches from within

3. Players who actually have a modicum of professional pride

Despite the order, I feel number 3 is the most important and yet the most unlikely to be dealt with.

I'd be inclined to go with #1 but more than agree with the other two.

A decent scouting network would be good how many times have we signed a player and they have turned out to be absolutely useless not having a dig at vanecek he needs time to settle but the likes of sammon tzolis have been shocking 18 signings yet we have no strength in depth wouldn't solely blame levein but I would like to see an overhaul of the scouts

14 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

First and foremost we need to stick with winning team 

We’d have been fined for playing Naismith on Wed.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We’d have been fined for playing Naismith on Wed.

Obviously mean within reason! There's far too much tinkering in my opinion and far too much concentration on stopping the opposition rather than having a go and let them worry about us 

• redm changed the title to What do Hearts need?