J.K Rowling

Siphiwe Tshabalala

12 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I think it’s popular enough to see through to the end. 

Reveal hidden contents

Only 3 films to go. :lol:

Wait, Fantastic Beasts was a whole other series? B****** I thought it was a spin off there were making up as they went along

:jjno:

Dave McCreery's knee
2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'd have Edinburgh full of Harry Potter shops before those tartan tat shops that plague the city centre.

The Boy Wizard shops are owned by the same family as have the tartan tat empire

41 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Wait, Fantastic Beasts was a whole other series? B****** I thought it was a spin off there were making up as they went along

:lol:

JK originally announced as a trilogy. But it was expanded to 5 films. 

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

:lol:

JK originally announced as a trilogy. But it was expanded to 5 films. 

Aw jesus christ :jj_facepalm:

11 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was passing the Black Medicine coffee shop in Nicolson St the other day and I had to step round some tourists taking photos. There is a sign on the wall I hadn't noticed before saying she wrote part of HP there. I know the Elephant house has cashed in from the start but will there be any coffee shops left in the city that don't claim that JK was a regular in their premises scribbling away! 

Had to look up on Google where that place was. To add some more info to your story, back in the 90s the place upstairs was called Nicholsons (now Spoon). I worked there when it first opened - I was a KP and my sister worked as a waitress. Rowling used to come in all the time on her own for coffee, the place was a restaurant but also acted as a cafe during the day. My sister knew her quite well - in as much as you get to know regular customers when you work hospitality. I wonder if that plaque is actually referring (or meant to be) to upstairs. I can’t even mind what was right below us at the time. 

My sinks were at a window overlooking the boozer across the road on Drummond St which was tremendous viewing at the weekends for brawling. 

The Elephant House was something to do with it being a family connection I think. 

luckyBatistuta
On 06/01/2019 at 23:50, Phage said:

Wrote the books while living in the colonies off Ashley Terrace. Sold her house for a £1 to a local lady after her first royalty check came in.

Now lives on Whitehouse Road in a house with massive hedges around it. Called The White House I believe.

Had to move from her last Edinburgh house as the neighbour overlooking her house was selling 'afternoon tea peeping tomming JK's house'

Jealousy from the neighbours, constantly moaning because she was getting work done on the property.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

You would if you knew @luckyBatistuta

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

If I ever knowingly found myself in his cab I'd make an exception. 

Thanks guys, too kind  :notworthy:

I’ve had her in the back of my cab a few times. I think she’s nice, but doesn’t talk that much, but neither would most of us,  if all anybody wanted to talk about was Harry Potter... and I’m not the cabbie that IPK is talking about ;) 

5 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

:10800: 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve had her in the back of my cab a few times. I think she’s nice, but doesn’t talk that much, but neither would most of us,  if all anybody wanted to talk about was Harry Potter... and I’m not the cabbie that IPK is talking about ;) 

:oohmatron:

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Had to look up on Google where that place was. To add some more info to your story, back in the 90s the place upstairs was called Nicholsons (now Spoon). I worked there when it first opened - I was a KP and my sister worked as a waitress. Rowling used to come in all the time on her own for coffee, the place was a restaurant but also acted as a cafe during the day. My sister knew her quite well - in as much as you get to know regular customers when you work hospitality. I wonder if that plaque is actually referring (or meant to be) to upstairs. I can’t even mind what was right below us at the time. 

My sinks were at a window overlooking the boozer across the road on Drummond St which was tremendous viewing at the weekends for brawling. 

The Elephant House was something to do with it being a family connection I think. 

I thought it was a bit strange because I didn't think that coffee shop was around when she was first writing her books. I didn't really take in everything on the sign, I might take another look.

Thanks for the info about the place upstairs. Very interesting how JK was a customer. The streets can get very interesting around there at times, I have seen things myself ?

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks guys, too kind  :notworthy:

I’ve had her in the back of my cab a few times.

911F20D5-496B-4566-AB5B-B29089BDF531.jpeg

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

5 hours ago, graygo said:

:oohmatron:

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

911F20D5-496B-4566-AB5B-B29089BDF531.jpeg

Fake taxi news??

8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Fake taxi news??

Probably, although he claims to be the one who gave her a tip instead of the other way round.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

PH, search ‘Magic Wand’ ;)

That was to be my next line you swine.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That was to be my next line you swine.

Also on PH, search... ‘Pig in a Poke’ ;)

On 07/01/2019 at 19:45, I P Knightley said:

Previous one was Abbotsford Park or Crescent - not like the neighbours would have needed a few extra bob! Nae wonder she's got those hedges round the White House.

I heard, from one of Edinburgh's finest*, that she's had a treehouse built in her new place that cost something like £250k.

* black cab driver. Also said she is a poor tipper (aren't we all?!)

She bought my friends house for £1m and then knocked it down to make a tree house for her kids.

John Findlay

The lady found a winning formula. Well done to her. Her books made my eldest son getting really into reading and I thank her for that. My daughter and youngest son were born bookworms. My youngest son who is only 10 and a half has devoured all the Harry Potter books and loved them. Any person who writes books that get children reading are fine by me.