J.K Rowling

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Currently sitting watching the first HP, I’m not a big fan at all, but didn’t she write it all in Edinburgh and lived here? 

Also, I see she takes a fair amount of abuse on Twitter.

Wrote the books while living in the colonies off Ashley Terrace. Sold her house for a £1 to a local lady after her first royalty check came in.

Now lives on Whitehouse Road in a house with massive hedges around it. Called The White House I believe.

Had to move from her last Edinburgh house as the neighbour overlooking her house was selling 'afternoon tea peeping tomming JK's house'

Not a fan of her, her work or her dubious political morals.

Also, see the nick of all these Shan HP shops in the city now :muggy:

The Internet

Loved the Harry potter series when I was a kid. Films are good for a bit of nostalgia but they haven't really aged well. 

What's the abuse about? 

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Not a fan of her, her work or her dubious political morals.

Also, see the nick of all these Shan HP shops in the city now :muggy:

Like it or not ( not read the books TBH) she is an international superstar, and despite collosal wealth and success has chosen to stay in Scotland- I don't think Scotland makes enough out of her fame TBH. All the Harry Potter stuff is in London- serious trick missed there

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Like it or not ( not read the books TBH) she is an international superstar, and despite collosal wealth and success has chosen to stay in Scotland- I don't think Scotland makes enough out of her fame TBH. All the Harry Potter stuff is in London- serious trick missed there

She's not Scottish. Just because she wrote a book here doesn't change this.

Many other wealthy people also live here, of which I don't find too remarkable. Scotland is a beautiful place to live for many reasons. Especially great when you can nip to European sunshine whenever you want in first class! 

Scotland also is doing well enough, maybe too well with tourism. Many places are already over crowded in the summer due to visitors including Glenfinnan Viaduct and the Jacobite Memorial near by - or as majority of people now call it "The Harry Potter Bridge". I don't think it's a particularly good thing our real history and stories are being superseded by a wee fictional twat with a scar on his forehead.

Her contribution to inspiring huge numbers of children to read cannot be underestimated.

However, i feel the books are now a cash cow for selling over priced merchandise.

doctor jambo
21 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Many other wealthy people also live here, of which I don't find too remarkable. Scotland is a beautiful place to live for many reasons. Especially great when you can nip to European sunshine whenever you want in first class! 

Scotland also is doing well enough, maybe too well with tourism. Many places are already over crowded in the summer due to visitors including Glenfinnan Viaduct and the Jacobite Memorial near by - or as majority of people now call it "The Harry Potter Bridge". I don't think it's a particularly good thing our real history and stories are being superseded by a wee fictional twat with a scar on his forehead.

Our "real history"

like Braveheart?

Anything that inspires people to visit and look around Scotland is a good thing!

I don't see her politics as even being contentious.. she is a unionist- so what?

I don't feel the need to troll or abuse Nationalists online or elsewhere, or denigrate their - in her case enormous- achievements because of  a fairly standard, majority political view point

She is a hugely successful author that has lived in Edinburgh for most of her adult life.  She could live anywhere in the world but has chosen to make Edinburgh her home. She pays her taxes here, is a great supporter of welfare causes and is a very generous contributer to charities.

Because she holds a perfectly legitimate view about the Union (one I don’t agree with BTW) she gets a lot of flack.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Our "real history"

like Braveheart?

Anything that inspires people to visit and look around Scotland is a good thing!

I don't see her politics as even being contentious.. she is a unionist- so what?

I don't feel the need to troll or abuse Nationalists online or elsewhere, or denigrate their - in her case enormous- achievements because of  a fairly standard, majority political view point

Not at all "like Braveheart" 

Scotland has a rich, long and varied history. I suggest reading up on it.

I don't not like her because she is a unionist. I dislike her because she's a sell-out who was moaning about being poor, now publicly supports a political party that does it's best to benefit the wealthy. 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Thought this was going to be about the Hogwarts masturbation fan fiction

Eh...? 

Seymour M Hersh
36 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

I don't not like her because she is a unionist. I dislike her because she's a sell-out who was moaning about being poor, now publicly supports a political party that does it's best to benefit the wealthy. 

She's not a conservative. Blairite labour with a dash of lib dem would be my guess. 

doctor jambo
49 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

She was poor in a separate way. Poor but driven and determined not to be poor,, same as Alan Sugar etc. Such as they have no concept of surrendering to despondency and poverty. They see challenges not barriers

43 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Eh...? 

Some twitter account (not sure if official or not) tweeted something along the lines of young wizards used to use spells to clean up after themselves

Bizarre

14 hours ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Currently sitting watching the first HP, I’m not a big fan at all, but didn’t she write it all in Edinburgh and lived here?

Also, I see she takes a fair amount of abuse on Twitter.

She lived in either Albert Terrace or Abbotsford Park at Churchill.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was passing the Black Medicine coffee shop in Nicolson St the other day and I had to step round some tourists taking photos. There is a sign on the wall I hadn't noticed before saying she wrote part of HP there. I know the Elephant house has cashed in from the start but will there be any coffee shops left in the city that don't claim that JK was a regular in their premises scribbling away! 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

7 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was passing the Black Medicine coffee shop in Nicolson St the other day and I had to step round some tourists taking photos. There is a sign on the wall I hadn't noticed before saying she wrote part of HP there. I know the Elephant house has cashed in from the start but will there be any coffee shops left in the city that don't claim that JK was a regular in their premises scribbling away! 

Same thing as Sean Connery.

If everyone was to be believed then he must have delivered milk to every home in Edinburgh.

All roads lead to Gorgie
20 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

If everyone was to be believed then he must have delivered milk to every home in Edinburgh.

I lived up his way as a bairn and didn't once see him deliver the milk. A story that has grown out of all proportion over the years:)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
3 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Slytherin 

Turned on a whole generation to reading so fair play to her. Not a huge fan meself, probably too old but me daughter thinks she's great. 

Was never into the HP films. Not because I watched them and didn’t enjoy, I just never felt inclined to watch.

They don’t bother me though if they happen to be on at the time when I’m watching tele.

Rowling doesn’t bother me either and someone I’ve never had an interest in tbh.

Whats the fuss again?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Was never into the HP films. Not because I watched them and didn’t enjoy, I just never felt inclined to watch.

They don’t bother me though if they happen to be on at the time when I’m watching tele.

Rowling doesn’t bother me either and someone I’ve never had an interest in tbh.

Whats the fuss again?

She’s anti Brexit and also (I believe) Indy, and is therefore a target for those on the opposite side.

she does have a lot to say for herself on Twitter though so I guess she has to expect some reaction.

Shanks said no

No wonder Robert Louis Stevenson buggered off to Samoa !

Not a HP fan, never read one of the books or watched a whole film but she has done remarkably well for herself through hard work. Good luck to her.

I enjoy sitting outside the OZ Bar in the summer and say "Harra Potta" everytime an oriental tourist takes a snap of the Elephant House or the graveyard. My wife doesn't find it so amusing after about 100 times.

I P Knightley
19 hours ago, felix said:

:what:

I think it's a bit like cow tipping but instead of tipping them you roll them and instead of cows, you use jakeys.

I P Knightley
19 hours ago, Phage said:

Wrote the books while living in the colonies off Ashley Terrace. Sold her house for a £1 to a local lady after her first royalty check came in.

Now lives on Whitehouse Road in a house with massive hedges around it. Called The White House I believe.

Had to move from her last Edinburgh house as the neighbour overlooking her house was selling 'afternoon tea peeping tomming JK's house'

Previous one was Abbotsford Park or Crescent - not like the neighbours would have needed a few extra bob! Nae wonder she's got those hedges round the White House.

I heard, from one of Edinburgh's finest*, that she's had a treehouse built in her new place that cost something like £250k.

* black cab driver. Also said she is a poor tipper (aren't we all?!)

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No deid then. She needs a slap for giving that twat Eddie Redmayne endless work.

This. Working in a cinema the past few months has meant I've had to see his stupid, smug, wee ******* face multiple times each day if I'm screen checking. 

Luckily I don't think fantastic beasts is quite as popular as the main Harry Potter series so maybe (hopefully) just the one more then it'll be done

Auld Reekin'
7 hours ago, iantjambo said:

And every Edinburgh granny / great-granny has danced with him, or been asked to do so by him.

AlphonseCapone
54 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Previous one was Abbotsford Park or Crescent - not like the neighbours would have needed a few extra bob! Nae wonder she's got those hedges round the White House.

I heard, from one of Edinburgh's finest*, that she's had a treehouse built in her new place that cost something like £250k.

* black cab driver. Also said she is a poor tipper (aren't we all?!)

I've never tipped a taxi driver in my life. 

Siphiwe Tshabalala
1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

This. Working in a cinema the past few months has meant I've had to see his stupid, smug, wee ******* face multiple times each day if I'm screen checking. 

Luckily I don't think fantastic beasts is quite as popular as the main Harry Potter series so maybe (hopefully) just the one more then it'll be done

I seen that Fantastic Beasts film (I’ve only seen that first HP film) and I still don’t have a clue what was going on.

chester copperpot
21 hours ago, Phage said:

Was the Whitehouse not previously David Murray's house or did I make that up?

1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

David Murray’s house was between Cluny area and the Braids, sort of back of Blackford Pond, but nearer the Morningside end.

He gave it to Mo Johnston to stay in when the wee keelie signed for the Hun.

13 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

I painted her house on Holy corner, well it was my mates before he sold it to her.

Where on Holy Corner?

She lived at Abbotsford Park, 300 metres at least, up from there.

maroondevo52

1 Abbotsford Park, my mate had the upper flat and tried to buy out the downstairs neighbour but they wouldn't sell.

JK bought them out shortly after she moved in.

chester copperpot
25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

David Murray’s house was between Cluny area and the Braids, sort of back of Blackford Pond, but nearer the Morningside end.

He gave it to Mo Johnston to stay in when the wee keelie signed for the Hun.

30 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

David Murray stayed at Easter Belmont (in a white house :smile:) JK's Whitehouse was owned previously by Andrew Murray ,no relation as far as I know.

2 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

I think it’s popular enough to see through to the end. 

Spoiler

Only 3 films to go. :lol: