• Ulysses

• superjack

• Carl Fredrickson

I P Knightley
35 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not a funny one but I like what it says . So true 

726D7A8B-AB3C-4D28-83E9-A63C55A489DD.jpeg

Yup.

I work in the field of apprenticeships and can find no argument for university unless (a) the kid is fanatical about learning and studying and/or (b ) the degree programme is highly practical.

A term I heard used by a course director is "pracademic". I don't usually like this type of word but made an exception here. Yes, there's a degree programme involved but there's also hands-on learning; links to employers with work placements and national vocational qualifications are earned en route to the degree.

Running up student debt just because it's expected that 50% of school leavers go to uni is terrible. So many degree programmes are pure shite but the marketing is good. Knightley Minor has mates heading off to do a degree in Finance/Accounting. They could be in an apprenticeship programme with a big employer learning the exact same content but also putting it into practice and meeting/working for people who will help their careers, rather than some sad-sack lecturer who's got 15 year old teaching notes. And they earn.

34 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Yup.

I work in the field of apprenticeships and can find no argument for university unless (a) the kid is fanatical about learning and studying and/or (b ) the degree programme is highly practical.

A term I heard used by a course director is "pracademic". I don't usually like this type of word but made an exception here. Yes, there's a degree programme involved but there's also hands-on learning; links to employers with work placements and national vocational qualifications are earned en route to the degree.

Running up student debt just because it's expected that 50% of school leavers go to uni is terrible. So many degree programmes are pure shite but the marketing is good. Knightley Minor has mates heading off to do a degree in Finance/Accounting. They could be in an apprenticeship programme with a big employer learning the exact same content but also putting it into practice and meeting/working for people who will help their careers, rather than some sad-sack lecturer who's got 15 year old teaching notes. And they earn.

👍 when I have worked with young people I have noticed that there seems to be a drive to push them into further education , college or uni . But I have always advised them to think carefully about their career options as I am a firm believer in apprenticeships for a variety of reasons , in particular the immediate on the job experience , the actual working alongside others and the work culture and the financial aspects of it . Clearly there are some jobs one has to go to Uni to study such as nursing , doctors etc but there are a wide variety of jobs out there for young people to start at the bottom of the business and work their way up . Why get saddled with enormous debts ? I really do feel for young people who feel the pressure to attend Further education when their heart or motivation isn’t there . 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

👍 when I have worked with young people I have noticed that there seems to be a drive to push them into further education , college or uni . But I have always advised them to think carefully about their career options as I am a firm believer in apprenticeships for a variety of reasons , in particular the immediate on the job experience , the actual working alongside others and the work culture and the financial aspects of it . Clearly there are some jobs one has to go to Uni to study such as nursing , doctors etc but there are a wide variety of jobs out there for young people to start at the bottom of the business and work their way up . Why get saddled with enormous debts ? I really do feel for young people who feel the pressure to attend Further education when their heart or motivation isn’t there . 

Personally, I think you should be able to start an apprenticeship at 14, if academia isn't for you. I don't see the point putting kids through school after 2nd ,if they hate it. Get them trained up at college with a trade, so they are ready to go, at 17/18 years old.

Sorry, not the thread.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

Personally, I think you should be able to start an apprenticeship at 14, if academia isn't for you. I don't see the point putting kids through school after 2nd ,if they hate it. Get them trained up at college with a trade, so they are ready to go, at 8 years old.

Sorry, not the thread.

My son's shcool has a really excellent system, they call it "Studio School", at 14 they can choose to go into it, they still have to to do English, Maths, Sciences etc but they pick a subject they'd like to pursue, my son is doing a Sport course, like mechanics, sport, carpentry, plumbing, rural skills or even a police course, they then do this for two days a week, it sets them up for an apprenticeship or further college course when they leave school, a lot of local companies and businesses are now taking kids directly from the Studio School, it's  a great idea.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My son's shcool has a really excellent system, they call it "Studio School", at 14 they can choose to go into it, they still have to to do English, Maths, Sciences etc but they pick a subject they'd like to pursue, my son is doing a Sport course, like mechanics, sport, carpentry, plumbing, rural skills or even a police course, they then do this for two days a week, it sets them up for an apprenticeship or further college course when they leave school, a lot of local companies and businesses are now taking kids directly from the Studio School, it's  a great idea.

I hope they start this up here(No idea if they don't :D ) But we need to help the kids into the big bad world. Leaving school with no skills, is just betrayal of the lives the kids should be fulfilling.  I know plenty of guys who were not the best at school, but are machines on a building site, at sports and various other stuff. 

👍

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

I hope they start this up here(No idea if they don't :D ) But we need to help the kids into the big bad world. Leaving school with no skills, is just betrayal of the lives the kids should be fulfilling.  I know plenty of guys who we're the best at school, but are machines on a building site, at sports and various other stuff. 

👍

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/unique-new-studio-school-pays-dividends-for-kirkby-lonsdale-students-339407

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can't remember at exactly what age, but in Holland they have different high schools, depending on whether you show more aptitude toward trade based work or office based work, and learn accordingly. I don't know much more about it, but it sounded like a good system that we would do badly and turn into a class thing.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Daft meme thread (merged)