Football and gambling

davemclaren

I agree with the sentiment but where do you draw the line?

No booze adverts? No soft drink adverts? No take away ads? No high end products that may not be affordable for people?

While rejecting Gambling firms as sponsors we still accept advertising which is shown during games at Tynecastle on the electronic.

Edited by Mikey1874

William H. Bonney

Not sure that it will stop people gambling to be honest. I have a gambling addiction that has had serious implications on my life and family but tv adverts never influenced me. My lack of willpower and addictive personality did that. 

8 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Not sure that it will stop people gambling to be honest. I have a gambling addiction that has had serious implications on my life and family but tv adverts never influenced me. My lack of willpower and addictive personality did that. 

I agree but when I watch live football the number of ingame adverts extolling the fun of betting on virtually everything is incredible and must encourage people to spend ( otherwise they wouldn’t show them ). Luckily I hate the thought of likely losing more than the i like the thought of an unlikely win. 

32 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

It might cut down on it a wee bit though.  There's nothing worse than the half time whistle going, and immediately you're straight into "IN PLAY WIF RAY" odds on next goalscorer, correct score, etc.    Especially after a few beers, you're more likely to think it looks good, especially if your bets are already stuffed after the first half.  Then you get to see the same with Ladbrokes, William Hill and every other company going.

The Treasurer

With the majority of teams (especially in the EPL) having betting companies as their shirt sponsor, they will still get plenty of exposure "whistle to whistle"

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

With the majority of teams (especially in the EPL) having betting companies as their shirt sponsor, they will still get plenty of exposure "whistle to whistle"

And all the adverts all round the grounds perhaps even more now to compensate 

• 1 month later...

I was quite disappointed to hear Scott Wilson before the game say something about checking the prices on ladbrokes for the match before today’s game.

perhaps he was asked to do so? But not something I think the club should be advertising 

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

I was quite disappointed to hear Scott Wilson before the game say something about checking the prices on ladbrokes for the match before today’s game.

perhaps he was asked to do so? But not something I think the club should be advertising 

No it's not. I assume because Hills sponsor the competition he had no choice though. 

Just now, Jlv2004 said:

No it's not. I assume because Hills sponsor the competition he had no choice though. 

If that was it then fair enough although I’m sure he mentioned ladbrokes 

On 06/12/2018 at 12:10, davemclaren said:

I agree but when I watch live football the number of ingame adverts extolling the fun of betting on virtually everything is incredible and must encourage people to spend ( otherwise they wouldn’t show them ). Luckily I hate the thought of likely losing more than the i like the thought of an unlikely win. 

Sometimes it's the only adverts there are.

This could have implications long term for the size of the TV deals.

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

I didn't hear it to be fair. 

31 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Could it be Scott just being a bit mischievous? 

46 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Correct

Will be part of the sponsorship contract 

22 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Could it be Scott just being a bit mischievous? 

I guess so

even so, just don’t think it was the right thing to do 

I very much doubt Scott would be having some sort of mischievous banter with that pre match announcement in fact I can guarantee it. 

It’s fairly certain that it would have been in there on request from the tournament sponsors

On 06/12/2018 at 11:56, Mikey1874 said:

While rejecting Gambling firms as sponsors we still accept advertising which is shown during games at Tynecastle on the electronic.

I think this will be banned in due course but it would be good to see the club taking a stand first and stopping gambling advertising within the stadium in line with the aims of being a family club.

I like an accumulator at the weekend and the odd first goalscorer bet at the game but barrage of advertising across all platforms is too much so I’m glad action is being taken. 

Edited by watsbacker

1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Unfortunately advertising plays an enormous part of the corporate world.

Were you upset when Hibs were sponsored by Crabbies?

1 hour ago, watsbacker said:

I think this will be banned in due course but it would be good to see the club taking a stand first and stopping gambling advertising within the stadium in line with the aims of being a family club.

Totally agree that all gambling ads should be banned from the ground. If hearts were to do this at tynie, how would this affect teams who have bookies as their shirt sponsors?

No adverts in-between but you could have a final of the William Hill Scottish Cup played by Celtic (DafaBet) v Rangers (32RED). Not going to make the slightest bit of difference. Gambling is advertised extensively on every single high street in Britain and is massively encouraged by lad culture. 

4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

4 hours ago, Jlv2004 said:

4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Correct

Will be part of the sponsorship contract 

It was definitely Ladbrokes that he mentioned so nothing to do with the sponsors (William Hill).

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Totally agree that all gambling ads should be banned from the ground. If hearts were to do this at tynie, how would this affect teams who have bookies as their shirt sponsors?

Can't stop away teams showing whatever a advertising they want on their shirts as long as its been approved by the league.

Even if Hearts wanted to stop accepting gambling advertising they will be required to have advertising for the sponsors of the League, cup and league cup, all of which are currently sponsored by betting companies. Then there is the small matter of making money from betting kiosks within the ground, which is a much clearer facilitation of gambling than adverts. 

At the moment I think it would be pretty pointless for any individual club to refuse to accept gambling advertisement. Anything would have to be done on a league wide basis to be meaningful.

9 hours ago, graygo said:

It was definitely Ladbrokes that he mentioned so nothing to do with the sponsors (William Hill).

If so then questions need to be asked as to why he said this then...

does Scott still sometimes read / post on here?

On the rare occasion that I have watched Hearts TV highlights the commentators were continually prattling on about their bets.

The Cowdenbeath 10-0 game being an example. Jimmy Sandison seemed disappointed as he had Hearts to win 2-0.

It was a bit irritating they seemed to be more interested in their bets.

On 06/12/2018 at 11:52, Taffin said:

I agree with the sentiment but where do you draw the line?

No booze adverts? No soft drink adverts? No take away ads? No high end products that may not be affordable for people?

It's the nanny state mate. Just think next it will be don't go to work just to avoid the possibility of Stress. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Can't stop away teams showing whatever a advertising they want on their shirts as long as its been approved by the league.

Even if Hearts wanted to stop accepting gambling advertising they will be required to have advertising for the sponsors of the League, cup and league cup, all of which are currently sponsored by betting companies. Then there is the small matter of making money from betting kiosks within the ground, which is a much clearer facilitation of gambling than adverts. 

At the moment I think it would be pretty pointless for any individual club to refuse to accept gambling advertisement. Anything would have to be done on a league wide basis to be meaningful.

the only times i have seen tams not have a betting company on their shirt is in the CL or EL when the hime team is in a country that does not allow it. I remember real madrid playing without a sponsor in a match because of it

27 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It's the nanny state mate. Just think next it will be don't go to work just to avoid the possibility of Stress. :rolleyes:

It's not really a laughing matter to be honest

9 minutes ago, cruzabic said:

I bet an astronomical amount and I can say it's never been cause I seen a 50/1 bet at half time on a game. 

yeh but young people / teenagers etc might

42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Not really.

We have always had gambling laws.

They just need updated from time to time to cater for changing needs.

The internet and gambling can be a potent mix.

Some people just can't help themselves and need protected.

15 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

yeh but young people / teenagers etc might

Ive been gambling since I was in my teens (and not too old yet). Just think a big thing had been made of it when I don't think it will change anything. 

jambos are go!

The Treasury raises large amounts of revenue from gambling and I cant see it being banned any time soon. Fourteen billion if you check this link:-

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/uk-gambling-industry-takes-14bn-year-punters

I think they get 20% of revenues  from  one armed bandits in bookies and over 10 % of  sports betting.  That's why the resisted and delayed the reduction in maximum stakes on one armed bandits in Bookies which is a major cause of gambling addiction.

They also get about 30% of lottery earnings that should go directly to good causes. And they can also influence who gets what so that public spending can be reduced.

I'm a punter by the way and love a horse bet

Edited by jambos are go!

Seymour M Hersh
On 06/12/2018 at 11:48, davemclaren said:

Gambling firms agree 'whistle-to-whistle' television sport advertising ban http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46453954

good news imo. Gambling is far too easy these days. 

It's a start but I personally would ban all advertising in keeping with tobacco.  As for their crass "when the fun stops, stop" attempt at getting people to moderate their gambling. **** right off. 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's a start but I personally would ban all advertising in keeping with tobacco.  As for their crass "when the fun stops, stop" attempt at getting people to moderate their gambling. **** right off. 

ban gambling tobacco and alcohol advertising - would be the best thing to do!

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

ban gambling tobacco and alcohol advertising - would be the best thing to do!

Yeah, I could go with a ban on alcohol advertising as well.

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The advertising is also effectively aimed at children, normalising betting with sport for future custom. 

Mainly it's due to competition. Great profits to be made. Good career choice setting  up an online betting company. 

30 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

The Treasury raises large amounts of revenue from gambling and I cant see it being banned any time soon. Fourteen billion if you check this link:-

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/uk-gambling-industry-takes-14bn-year-punters

I think they get 20% of revenues  from  one armed bandits in bookies and over 10 % of  sports betting.  That's why the resisted and delayed the reduction in maximum stakes on one armed bandits in Bookies which is a major cause of gambling addiction.

They also get about 30% of lottery earnings that should go directly to good causes. And they can also influence who gets what so that public spending can be reduced.

Who wants gambling banned ?

There has to be sensible laws in place to protect the vulnerable and their families.

That is a far cry from banning gambling.

1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

It's not really a laughing matter to be honest

Just being facetious sorry to anyone whom I offended. Of course gambling sites need to do more for people who show worrying gambling patterns.

21 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just being facetious sorry to anyone whom I offended. Of course gambling sites need to do more for people who show worrying gambling patterns.

apology accepted - fair enough!

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

Absolutely.  The treasury still makes a lot of money from cigarettes as well though that must have reduced over the years with the harsher laws around their sale. Banning wouldn’t work, just encourages criminals to get involved, but the internet has changed the  game significantly for gambling and our legislators need to react to that. 

Recently watched the documentary about Keith Gillespie (ex ManU and Newcastle) and his gambling, went from not knowing how to fill in a bookies slip to losing £62,000 in one weekend,p made over £7m in his career but declared bankrupt due to gambling!

Said that one of the key escalation points was when a booking let him phone bets in rather than be recognised/spotted in the bookies, it just made it easier and made it less real as he wasn't handing cash over. 

Hate to think how bad things would have been for him now with mobile betting apps etc, at least when you were phoning up a bookie you had to know what you wanted to place a bet on, now you can browse first.

jambos are go!
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

Who wants gambling banned ?

There has to be sensible laws in place to protect the vulnerable and their families.

That is a far cry from banning gambling.

Fair point. Maybe I should have said the Treasury  would not like to see it diminished.

15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Absolutely.  The treasury still makes a lot of money from cigarettes as well though that must have reduced over the years with the harsher laws around their sale. Banning wouldn’t work, just encourages criminals to get involved, but the internet has changed the  game significantly for gambling and our legislators need to react to that. 

Not banning gambling 

just banning advertising gambling