Milinkovic on loan?

Caramoon

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
20 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Yup, he would produce decent enough displays in the big atmosphere games, then would do very little in the run-of-the-mill games. 

I got the impression Levein wasn't too keen on him.

apart from score goals against Motherwell Hamilton and st johnstone

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Phil Dunphy

• EastSideJambo

• Cruyff Turn

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Meh, probably already said on this thread, but a fairly average journeyman pro for me with the ability to produce the occasional above average performance...has a reputation amongst some of our support that his overall contribution didn’t come close to justifying...

Agreed

42 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

arrived in January didn't play every week team struggling and got 6 goals and 5 assists - don't know who you're comparing him to if you think that's pretty average

He wasn’t a January signing. 

37 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

arrived in January didn't play every week team struggling and got 6 goals and 5 assists - don't know who you're comparing him to if you think that's pretty average

Arrvied in August, had a decent run late Dec/Jan when he scored 5 out of his 6 goals. As I said average with occasional above average performances.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

He wasn’t a January signing. 

yup - got mixed up he was a levein signing made his debut at murrayfield against aberdeen

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Arrvied in August, had a decent run late Dec/Jan when he scored 5 out of his 6 goals. As I said average with occasional above average performances.

think he arrived later but I was mistaken it wasn't January 

If 6 goals and 5 assists in 20 odd-games fits your description as mostly average I hope we've got a conveyer belt of average  signings on the way 

was reading the vanecek thread and folk talking about hype and how he's got a lot to live up to etc etc

as a matter of interest in goals and assists what would you be hoping for this season?

7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

think he arrived later but I was mistaken it wasn't January 

If 6 goals and 5 assists in 20 odd-games fits your description as mostly average I hope we've got a conveyer belt of average  signings on the way 

was reading the vanecek thread and folk talking about hype and how he's got a lot to live up to etc etc

as a matter of interest in goals and assists what would you be hoping for this season?

Signed in August played first game against Aberdeen on 9th Sept. He had some above average games including a good two weeks in January when he scored half of his goals.

Glad you read another thread.

To answer your question, I hope we get some.

No chance Levein will have him back. He had his chance and that’s that. Like Walker they burnt their bridges. Anyone that knows Levein will know he doesn’t easily go back if at all. It’s a sign of weakness and he’s not

weak. Thank goodness

Edited by 1971fozzy

4 hours ago, Dayman said:

Played the whole game for Hull today. Got a decent short review on his first game back since August. There’s a screenshot on his Instagram story from some Hull newspaper. That puts any milinkovic to hearts speculation to bed then. 

Probably only got the game because it was a cup tie, from what I can see they also played a few youngsters, so probably prioritising the league.  Mind you, if he had a decent game, he could possibly force his way back into the reckoning at Hull.

TyphoonJambo

Decent game my arse. Hull were dire, all of them. Not any better than anyone we already have. 

35 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Folk still banging on about how he was rubbish, aye?

Not rubbish, but certainly not good either 

35 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

Not rubbish, but certainly not good either 

Anyone who thinks Milinkovic wasn’t a good player doesn’t understand football. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Anyone who thinks Milinkovic wasn’t a good player doesn’t understand football. 

It’s actually quite amusing. Can’t just be that people watched him playing and liked what they saw... no, they have been influenced by social media, or remember wrongly. :lol:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Signed in August played first game against Aberdeen on 9th Sept. He had some above average games including a good two weeks in January when he scored half of his goals.

Glad you read another thread.

To answer your question, I hope we get some.

an average player who's manage to conjure up some above average stats it would seem

i can see in the context why you've left the numbers out your hopes for vanecek and gone for "some"

Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

It’s actually quite amusing. Can’t just be that people watched him playing and liked what they saw... no, they have been influenced by social media, or remember wrongly. :lol:

It’s those who tell us that Levein clearly didn’t fancy him. That’ll be why we were going to pay Genoa a few for him in the summer then. 

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

It’s those who tell us that Levein clearly didn’t fancy him. That’ll be why we were going to pay Genoa a few for him in the summer then. 

Levein was maybe just influenced by his Instagram posts though tbf.

20 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Levein was maybe just influenced by his Instagram posts though tbf.

That'll be it. That’ll by why Milinkovic only scored 5 or 6 goals by this point last season, while Morrison (his replacement) hasn’t scored any. 

Instagram. 

4 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I liked him, bit of skill, bit of dig but oh so undisciplined on the field 

You'll get a telling off. Obviously you're not part of the fan club either

34 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Not sure it's amusing. Some think he's a bang average player. His career to date pretty much endorses that view 

He had some good games in crap season last year. Some games he was very poor 

48 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

an average player who's manage to conjure up some above average stats it would seem

Indeed, exactly what you would expect from an average player who delivered occasional above average performances. Your comment supports my view.

The question to the Milinkovic detractors is 'who do we have who would start ahead of him, or even sit on the bench instead of him?' 

Hull Hell & Hearts
8 hours ago, RobNox said:

Probably only got the game because it was a cup tie, from what I can see they also played a few youngsters, so probably prioritising the league.  Mind you, if he had a decent game, he could possibly force his way back into the reckoning at Hull.

Hull manager Nigel Adkins made eight changes as he's prioritising a "play-off push" (which in itself is quite remarkable given where the club were just a month or so ago).

I thought Milinkovic did okay. Looked the main threat first half and worked hard too. He should probably have been replaced second half when he seemed to tire - understandably given his lack of games. Whether he will be available for loan very much depends on Adkins holding on to first choice wingers Jarrod Bowen and Kamil Grosicki (the word is that neither is for sale but we've heard that before!). And then, like others have said, would Levein want him back anyway?

Milinkovic and Walkers ability are not in question. It’s their woeful work rate. When the balls heading towards our goal, your lucky if they up their effort to a walk. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Indeed, exactly what you would expect from an average player who delivered occasional above average performances. Your comment supports my view.

it doesn't actually 

his "occasional" above average stats would be swamped by his much more frequent averageness - they're not 

the 'played well for a fortnight in january' line doesn't stand up to scrutiny as his goals assists and significant contributions were spread out over a much longer period all that for a player in and out the team two examples being assist and goals Patrick in sept and aberdeen in april

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, ZEUS said:

Milinkovic and Walkers ability are not in question. It’s their woeful work rate. When the balls heading towards our goal, your lucky if they up their effort to a walk. 

One thing I certainly couldn’t fault Milinkovic on when at Hearts was his workrate. One of the hardest working wingers I’ve ever seen.

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

it doesn't actually 

his "occasional" above average stats would be swamped by his much more frequent averageness - they're not 

the 'played well for a fortnight in january' line doesn't stand up to scrutiny as his goals assists and significant contributions were spread out over a much longer period all that for a player in and out the team two examples being assist and goals Patrick in sept and aberdeen in april

Your example of two goals over six months apart adds more support to my view.

Id love to have Milinkovic back. Thought he was a really good player with a great engine on him.

Dont understand people that wouldnt take him back. Went down South because he was offered a 3 year deal on 3 times the amount we were offerining him. Cant hold that against him.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Your example of two goals over six months apart adds more support to my view.

thats just another silly comment from you Graham - presumably in the abscence of any relevant reasoned comment

i understand that can be the way of internet 'debate' when the reasonable offerings run out so nothing personal mate ?

39 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

One thing I certainly couldn’t fault Milinkovic on when at Hearts was his workrate. One of the hardest working wingers I’ve ever seen.

His work rate is the main reason Levein doesn’t fancy him. 

4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

thats just another silly comment from you Graham - presumably in the abscence of any relevant reasoned comment

i understand that can be the way of internet 'debate' when the reasonable offerings run out so nothing personal mate ?

Sorry you feel that way. I am certainly not aiming for silly.

Let me explain my reasoning. This season Callumn Morrison has delivered two assists. At the equivalent point last season David Milinkovic had delivered two assists. The statistical difference is Milinkovic scored 2 goals in an excellent performance against Celtic. Frustratingly Milinkovic only delivered occasionally and I would argue that his performance level against Celtic was a one off in the season.

Morrison is simply average, Milinkovic is average with the ability to deliver occasional above average performances.

For me Milnkovic's contribution is remembered unrealistically high because of the quality of player now vying for his vacated slot in the squad.

For these reasons I wouldn't see the return of Milinkovic as progress for our club. That is why my view is "meh" now that any potential route for this happening appears to be closed.

I don't think that's an unreasonable view point in a debate.

43 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

:spoton:

1 hour ago, ZEUS said:

This person never watched a single Hearts game during Skinny’s time at the club. 

Milinkovic’s workrate in coming deep, winning the ball and then driving back in to the opponents half was one of things I liked most about him.

28 minutes ago, ZEUS said:

If Levein didnt think Milinkovic's work rate was up to standard then this should surely put to bed any rumour of a Jamie Walker return as he was one of the laziest players to play for us for a while.

1 hour ago, ZEUS said:

Sorry but that is rubbish as far as Milinkovic is c oncerned. He never stopped running and chasing back. Walker i agree with

54 minutes ago, ZEUS said:

No it's not. Levein is in record as saying he was frustrated with him because he was always haring about the pitch rather than being more disciplined 

Pasquale for King

If Levein didn’t fancy him and thought he was lazy why was he going to pay all that money for him?

Levein is on record as saying he doesn’t hold information for too long, indicating he doesn’t do what’s asked and is a bit dim.

Levein doesn’t go back? Eh? He also hired a long list of players and coaches who have worked under him.

Milinkovic was a stand out in a poor team who barely scored a goal a game last season, and had better stats than James Forrest.

Imagine how good he would be in this seasons team. 

I would love him to return but I cant see it happening, everyone has moved on.

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

Id love to have Milinkovic back. Thought he was a really good player with a great engine on him.

Dont understand people that wouldnt take him back. Went down South because he was offered a 3 year deal on 3 times the amount we were offerining him. Cant hold that against him.

Any player we sign or bring through will be off as soon as teams come from down south( or old firm in some cases) with 2/3 times the wages on offer..

It seems we give our home grown players more stick though when they secure their future

Gimme an H...
10 minutes ago, XB52 said:

No it's not. Levein is in record as saying he was frustrated with him because he was always haring about the pitch rather than being more disciplined 

Correct.

Ran about like a madman.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
4 hours ago, ZEUS said:

With an opinion like that I very much doubt you attend matches really riles me when people just make shite up. Milinkovic worked hard every time he played. The end.

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

With an opinion like that I very much doubt you attend matches really riles me when people just make shite up. Milinkovic worked hard every time he played. The end.

Is that right chum ? ??

The end indeed. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If Levein didn’t fancy him and thought he was lazy why was he going to pay all that money for him?

Levein is on record as saying he doesn’t hold information for too long, indicating he doesn’t do what’s asked and is a bit dim.

Levein doesn’t go back? Eh? He also hired a long list of players and coaches who have worked under him.

Milinkovic was a stand out in a poor team who barely scored a goal a game last season, and had better stats than James Forrest.

Imagine how good he would be in this seasons team. 

I would love him to return but I cant see it happening, everyone has moved on.

The stats thing makes me cringe though. ( not a pop at you mate).

Over this and other threads there’s some people fascinated by them and as if it’s a total and true indication of how good or bad a player is...or, effective and ineffectual etc...

Milinkovic dragged us up the park. He hunted down full backs, had good control and hard to get the ball off.  Linked well with the lone striker.

Maybe he didn’t have many “assists” as people liked but the groundwork is sometimes done long before the final pass is made.

3 hours ago, ZEUS said:

No it isn't and you can take that to the bank.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Sorry if already discussed on here, but are we looking to bring him back?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Anything exciting Notts. This has been a fairly dull 7 days to begin the window. Charlie Adam thread doesn't even measure up to the Osh one, let alone Lafferty or Naismith. A pic of the Piper would do!

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Anything exciting Notts. This has been a fairly dull 7 days to begin the window. Charlie Adam thread doesn't even measure up to the Osh one, let alone Lafferty or Naismith. A pic of the Piper would do!

Anything exciting? Im having a chippy tea when i eventually get out of work if that works.