Top until the winter break? ( merged )

gnasher75

14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Don’t imagine it would cost too much to bring a striker in for a month or two? Ann will just fire it on the credit card just now. Maybe an MLS player out of contract as the season is drawing to a close over there. 

Rooney or Ibrahimović?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyprusjambo

• Thomaso

• Bauld

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still optimistic, we've had a tough run of games in a short space of time but we can put that behind us now, Killie are doing well but we can definitely beat them at home then things will be looking good for us again. Won't be moaning or chucking the towel in while we sit top of the league.

My glass is certainly not half empty when I believe that we should be looking to compete with Sevco, Dons and Hibs etc

Being realistic - a Club of our resources with the devastating injuries we have ,cannot hope to compete with Celtic.

If this sounds negative then so be it.

Hope we can stay in top 3 as we enter 2019.

Rangers will play the same number of games as Celtic over the same period including 3 Europa League ties but they will play one more league game.

Rangers games:

Motherwell (H)

Livingston (H)

Hearts (A)

Aberdeen (H)

Dundee (A)

Hamilton (H)

Hibs (A)

St Johnstone (A)

Hibs (H)

Celtic (H)

Really big game for us against them at Tynecastle on 2nd December, the Sunday after they play Villareal.

Edited by gnasher75

Even with a depleted squad we have a lot of winnable games up to the break. We'll probably have to eke out wins but we're capable of doing so.

I'm confident we can take enough points to, at least, be in in touch by late December then, with Vanacek, and injured returnees, mount a challenge from January onwards.

It's been a great start to the season but it's how you end it that counts. I genuinely feel we can finish as strongly as we've begun. 

I have a dream and I'm not giving it up. 

:)

They say it's not how you start but how you finish.

We were fortunate enough to start strongly and in doing so we have given ourselves a cushion.

We can use that cushion to nurse ourselves along until we regain our strength. 

After that we can have a go at a strong finish. 

There is still much to play for and I am certainly not prepared to give up on this season. The injuries we have suffered will heal with time still on our side. 

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:29, gnasher75 said:

Craig Levein is quoted as saying "If we can get through to the winter break and still be top of the league I'll be absolutely thrilled."

With Celtic only a point behind and with a game in hand, I thought that was just wishful thinking.  But then I looked at the fixtures.

Celtic don't play their game in hand until the end of January.

And, if our December looks busy with 7 league games, Celtic's is even worse with a League Cup final and a Europa League match as well as 7 league games, culminating in away games at Pittodrie and Ibrox to be played between Christmas and New Year.

Hearts league games:

Kilmarnock (H)

St Mirren (A)

Rangers (H)

St Johnstone (A)

Motherwell (H)

Livingston (A)

Aberdeen (A)

Hamilton (H)

Hibs (A)

Celtic league games:

Livingston (A)

Hamilton (A)

Motherwell (A)

Kilmarnock (H)

Hibs (A)

Motherwell (H)

Dundee (H)

Aberdeen (A)

Rangers (A)

Clearly other teams may be in the mix as well but unlike us they all have to play Celtic.

So could we still be top in January?  It's not impossible.

Sorry not a chance.  Celtic will be around 8 points clear by then. Our realistic target is 2nd place, and I would hope we can keep things going with our seriously weakened squad and be in that position come the break.

The big target for me is the SC - so hopefully we will have Berra and Naismith back for that.

17 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Sorry not a chance.  Celtic will be around 8 points clear by then. Our realistic target is 2nd place, and I would hope we can keep things going with our seriously weakened squad and be in that position come the break.

The big target for me is the SC - so hopefully we will have Berra and Naismith back for that.

I think Celtic will drop points at Livi

Back to back league fixtures on plastic pitches too...

13 minutes ago, kila said:

I think Celtic will drop points at Livi

Back to back league fixtures on plastic pitches too...

Hope you are right.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

They say it's not how you start but how you finish.

We were fortunate enough to start strongly and in doing so we have given ourselves a cushion.

We can use that cushion to nurse ourselves along until we regain our strength. 

After that we can have a go at a strong finish. 

There is still much to play for and I am certainly not prepared to give up on this season. The injuries we have suffered will heal with time still on our side. 

The word fortunate is wrong should have been Good enough to start strongly.

Now more than ever it is so important that we are strong in defence. With less in attack it’s so vital the score says 0 against meaning any goals we get can have a real affect.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:58, Dino Velvet said:

Celtic won't lose a domestic game again this season. 

Tell you what I'd love to play them at Tynecastle with Naismith, Uche, Berra and Vanacek in the team!!

2 hours ago, sairyinthat said:

The word fortunate is wrong should have been Good enough to start strongly.

Perhaps but I think football always requires good fortune. 

Many games are played on a fine line. The smallest variables must fall the right side of the line in order to attain the result you want.

The simple bounce of a ball on a bit of turf that takes it 3cm left can be the difference between a win and a draw. Even a loss.

Brighton Jambo

Realistically we need Celtic to come undone.  Lets hope that a couple of Premier League teams sack their manager and Brendan Rodgers is tempted back down South.  The uncertainty that would follow may be our only hope. 

William H. Bonney
3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Tell you what I'd love to play them at Tynecastle with Naismith, Uche, Berra and Vanacek in the team!!

Would certainly be interesting. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 03/11/2018 at 20:42, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We’ll be second in a week’s time 

A lot of people seemed to struggle with this post last week, which was odd.

Celtic will be so far over the horizon come the winter break we won't even see them. 

And the the sad thing is they may not the only team to be ahead of us. 

After tomorrow we probably won't see top spot again this season. 

Sadly, as usual, injuries have played a huge part in our season. 

Injuries have killed any chance of a challenge at the top. Now it's all about hanging in there till the winter break and seeing if we can still fight for Europe when we get players back. 

4 games now without a goal

Edited by Silvery_Moon

pettigrewsstylist
On 06/11/2018 at 12:12, RDSK said:

Now more than ever it is so important that we are strong in defence. With less in attack it’s so vital the score says 0 against meaning any goals we get can have a real affect.

Good to see we didnt give away any penalties yesterday as we have been giftng too many cheap ones lately. With scoring drought continuing this is crucial to scraping points each week to hang on in top 4.

It's now pretty significant that we weren't able to get Vanacek during the last window.

I'd personally like to stick two fingers up to his club for that.

Up yours.

On 10/11/2018 at 16:55, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

A lot of people seemed to struggle with this post last week, which was odd.

Only odd if you think optimism is odd.

40 minutes ago, Barack said:

As long as we're within 6-7 points, and we can limp on until then...in saying that, we might have both Berra & Naismith back. MASSIVE boosts in time for Christmas.

We’ll not be far away but neither will Killie or Aberdeen, it’s between the three of us for 3rd I think. We’ll be a different team after the winter break again. I’m sure CL will have them away in Europe for a couple of weeks. We might even sign a couple of players. 

The sad fact is that out of the top 8 clubs in the league, we have the worst manager...

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

Any arguments? A couple of spots could be swapped a touch but wouldnt change number 8 and would swap managers with any of the other 7 I am afraid

Imagine making all the hoo haa to play at Murrayfiled. Selling 30,000 tickets and then playing frustrating football at a pedestrian pace. Celtic were bricking it that day and needed attacked. If we had scored early on they may well have folded completely (similair to 4-0 at Tynie). Naismith injury did kill it but that was his tactics regardless

He got it wrong that day and vs Hibs (played 4-6-0) then lambs to slaughter at Celtic Park then a home defeat to Killie with awful strikers who he woudn't change 

Believe me I like the guy and want him to do well but this is the reality folks...

HHGH

Edited by cyprusjambo

9 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

The sad fact is that out of the top 8 clubs in the league, we have the worst manager...

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

Any arguments? A couple of spots could be swapped a touch but wouldnt change number 8 and would swap managers with any of the other 7 I am afraid

Imagine making all the hoo haa to play at Murrayfiled. Selling 30,000 tickets and then playing frustrating football at a pedestrian pace. Celtic were bricking it that day and needed attacked. If we had scored early on they may well have folded completely (similair to 4-0 at Tynie). Naismith injury did kill it but that was his tactics regardless

He got it wrong that day and vs Hibs (played 4-6-0) then lambs to slaughter at Celtic Park then a home defeat to Killie with awful strikers who he woudn't change 

Believe me I like the guy and want him to do well but this is the reality folks...

HHGH

You’ve posted this shite trolling post on two threads now. I’ve reported it on both ??

17 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

HHGH

:blahblah:

MacDonald Jardine
38 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

HHGH

You really don't want him to do well.

What utter shite.

3 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

You really don't want him to do well.

What utter shite.

Been around for a week and has a dozen posts, all of them anti-Levein. Utterly reeking.

Edited by To Be Frank

7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Been around for a week and has a dozen posts, all of them anti-Levein. Utterly reeking.

Agree same negative posts on multiple threads:hobo:

2 hours ago, cyprusjambo said:

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

HHGH

This ‘fact’ you mentioned with regards to managers placing. Where did you get this placing from? Is this a fact or is this just your tinted opinion? 

The Future's Maroon
10 hours ago, cyprusjambo said:

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

HHGH

Any arguments?

Aye, loads with that shambles of a post, but seeing as your only here to troll I won’t waste my time.

Gerrard better....that’s a belter.

14 hours ago, cyprusjambo said:

1. Rodgers

2. Mcinnes

3. Clarke

4. Lennon

5. Wright

6. Holt

7. Gerrard

8. Levein

HHGH

One question for you - who was he going to change them with?????

On 11/11/2018 at 21:47, To Be Frank said:

Utterly despondent is more accurate. Got my hopes up again...

On 11/11/2018 at 23:30, MrB1to4 said:

This ‘fact’ you mentioned with regards to managers placing. Where did you get this placing from? Is this a fact or is this just your tinted opinion? 

Is this site not about opinion's. This was mine., sorry if anyone sees as trolling.. Ask Michael Stewart. He believes the exact same and has said it at various stages

On 12/11/2018 at 07:33, The Future's Maroon said:

Any arguments?

Aye, loads with that shambles of a post, but seeing as your only here to troll I won’t waste my time.

Gerrard better....that’s a belter.

Rangers are above us if game in hand won. They won their last game 7-1... 

5 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Is this site not about opinion's. This was mine., sorry if anyone sees as trolling.. Ask Michael Stewart. He believes the exact same and has said it at various stages

Wait a minute, Michael Stewart says the same?

Sorry mate, you must be right then.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes another guy that's clever and passionate about Hearts and upset when avoidable things de-rail us.