Tourists at Tynecastle

Toggie88

Was in the Ticket Office/shop before yesterday’s game and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of tourists. 

At least 3 separate groups of Americans and 2 groups of Germans all buying tickets and a few buying scarves etc. All good news for the club. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Blackford Hearts

• Toggie88

• Gorgiewave

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

3 German chaps in lederhosen in the fans’bar before and after the game ??

What’s the deal about getting into the fans bar on match day as when I was in it for the War of Two Halves it seemed smaller than I was expecting.

Do you just pitch up early to make sure you get in?

There was a large group of Belgians in the fan bar pre match. Looked like a stag party but a few had the older ukio bankas tops on. Good to see though and they seemed to be really enjoying themselves 

1 minute ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

A group of Swiss guys were in front me in the queue for the shop

after the game.

suppose if your a visitor to Edinburgh , a wee trip to see the big team is a good shout.

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

What’s the deal about getting into the fans bar on match day as when I was in it for the War of Two Halves it seemed smaller than I was expecting.

Do you just pitch up early to make sure you get in?

As long as you’re there by about 1pm you’ll get in without having to queue.

I think what seems to be causing an issue with their numbers are people going in through the front door and leaving by the side door to head into hospitality. Yesterday there were about 20-30 people did this so the guys on the front door thought there were 30 more people in the bar than there actually was and there were people queuing up outside. I went and said to the guys on the door about this as there was no queue to get served at the bar yet a load of folk waiting to get in. Got to maximise those profits for the club ??

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s crazy over the years that Hearts haven’t done more to get the tourists in. It’s the big advantage we have being in Edinburgh. Thousands of tourists seeing the Heart of Midlothian on the World Heritage site Royal Mile every day, our club crest. We should take more advantage of that and maybe have a club rep standing around that area selling tickets. You have all those fuds selling tickets to their haunted ghost tour pish, why not the football club a much more integral part of the fabric of our city. Those neutrals who like their football would have loved that game yesterday.

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Never made it to the game, was the atmosphere good? I am sure the young team were on top form as usual.

The atmosphere was first-class yesterday. But not sure what's happened to the singing section - it seems to have dissolved - at least lower H was virtually empty yesterday.

Lets just hope we don't start getting the kind of tourists that the EPL get and they want selfies with the rival team and this half and half scarf BS

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Lets just hope we don't start getting the kind of tourists that the EPL get and they want selfies with the rival team and this half and half scarf BS

Saw a half 'n half at the game yesterday, funnily enough.

51 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Never made it to the game, was the atmosphere good? I am sure the young team were on top form as usual.

Best its been for ages a real bear pit atmosphere.

1 minute ago, Jamboelite said:

Best its been for ages a real bear pit atmosphere.

I think that was down to the excellent, possibly unexpected first half showing.

I know I was relieved and delighted by most of the performance.

Seen a group of about 8/10 tourists outside the ticket office before the St Johnstone game, with 1 of them handing out just bought Hearts scarfs to the group, they then asked a fellow jambo to take a group photo for them, now idea where they were from but the accent sounded a bit German, Dutch or even Austrian. lol.

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, EH16 said:

Seen a group of about 8/10 tourists outside the ticket office before the St Johnstone game, with 1 of them handing out just bought Hearts scarfs to the group, they then asked a fellow jambo to take a group photo for them, now idea where they were from but the accent sounded a bit German, Dutch or even Austrian. lol.

Definitely foreign though! :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Definitely foreign though! :laugh:

Oh aye deffo not from theese parts round here ?

had a guy from New York sitting next to me yesterday. On a 5 day trip to Scotland. One day in Edinburgh and 4 days in Kelso to do some shooting. He said it's his third trip and he always takes in a Hearts game when he's over. Nice guy. 

17 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

If I was PM, banning them would be my first decision. 

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

If I was PM, banning them would be my first decision. 

That's my vote bagged.

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

had a guy from New York sitting next to me yesterday. On a 5 day trip to Scotland. One day in Edinburgh and 4 days in Kelso to do some shooting. He said it's his third trip and he always takes in a Hearts game when he's over. Nice guy. 

Maybe he's the Facebook benefactor that the hobos are so worried about.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Atmosphere was great. As someone else said I’m not sure what has happened to the SSO. Lower H virtually empty with about 15 people in it. No banner and no flags either. Bit strange.

All roads lead to Gorgie
20 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

I remember those half' n half hats from the 80s, hated them with their Liverpool/Man U, Italian teams etc. The first fans I saw wearing them were Aberdeen followers, they probably still wear them today! 

33 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Why weren't they publicly beheaded on the center circle? We've gone soft

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Why weren't they publicly beheaded on the center circle? We've gone soft

Society is to blame.

Soft as a dying dogs skitters.

22 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

That's my vote bagged.

:thumbsup:

I will keep the rest of my policies to myself for now.  Don’t want to immediately lose it. 

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

3 German chaps in lederhosen in the fans’bar before and after the game ??

16 lads all from saarbrucken which strangely is nowhere near bavaria and home of the lederhosen.

It occurred to me recently that almost every match day you spot groups of visitors in pub or looking a bit lost trying to find seats in the main stand. More than I ever really noticed it before. 

It’s great. I always feel personally chuffed that visitors want to go and watch my team. :laugh: 

7 minutes ago, braveheart said:

16 lads all from saarbrucken which strangely is nowhere near bavaria and home of the lederhosen.

The three I was in toilets at same time as were definitely speaking a variation of German. Recognised a few phrases and words. (Or so my alcohol fueled brain was telling me! ?)

Just now, redm said:

It occurred to me recently that almost every match day you spot groups of visitors in pub or looking a bit lost trying to find seats in the main stand. More than I ever really noticed it before. 

It’s great. I always feel personally chuffed that visitors want to go and watch my team. :laugh: 

:spoton:

9 minutes ago, braveheart said:

It did confuse me a bit when they all wandered past me.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Which is in Germany which would explain why the were speaking German. 

You're on the ball today, Tazio! :)

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which is in Germany which would explain why the were speaking German. 

That makes more sense then! ?

Psychedelicropcircle

Wait until the Chinese selfie brigade find there way out of the emirates then you’ll be sorry ? 

This all sounds very positive. I’ve been to a football match on most of the European stag do’s I’ve attended and most European city breaks with the wife. I think it’s a market that we could really capitalise on and grow over the years. Great for people to go back to Germany or wherever else with some Hearts merch to show off to their mates. Two of my Canadian friends have been stopped on multiple occasions back home in Alberta wearing Hearts caps or badges with folk wanting to talk to them about the Hearts.

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Can't be arsed with the half and half scarves myself but if we make money out of it then why not.

1 hour ago, redm said:

Just a vague, off the cuff, not put too much brainpower into it thought, but does anyone think there could be a place for volunteer ushers (said 'ushers' as i couldnt think of a more appropriate word!) who could help those looking lost? Maybe give them a wee bit of chat about the history of the club, point them in the direction of the shop then their seats...

11 minutes ago, Boof said:

Just a vague, off the cuff, not put too much brainpower into it thought, but does anyone think there could be a place for volunteer ushers (said 'ushers' as i couldnt think of a more appropriate word!) who could help those looking lost? Maybe give them a wee bit of chat about the history of the club, point them in the direction of the shop then their seats...

"We're trying to find our seats. Can you help?"

"Well yes, but first let me tell you about the history of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. The club was formed in 1874 by a group of friends from the Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly..."

(...ten minutes later)

"Now, would you like to buy some merchandise?"

Aye, that'll work. :)

Over the last few seasons there has been a marked rise in tourist visits to Tynecastle. A lot of German tourists. I think our game against schalke in 2004 played a part in this plus the WW1 history. With regards Belgian, Dutch and Swiss tourists. Again I think our Europa League participation in 2004 has played it's part as in the away support we took to Basle and Rotterdam impressed the locals.

There was also an "Edinburgh Uni Dons" flag in their section. Is there a Hearts Supporters' Club at any university?

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"We're trying to find our seats. Can you help?"

"Well yes, but first let me tell you about the history of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. The club was formed in 1874 by a group of friends from the Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly..."

(...ten minutes later)

"Now, would you like to buy some merchandise?"

Aye, that'll work. :)

Well done for missing the point completely.

No reason why we can't advertise at the airport. 

The Rangers and Celtic shops getting kicked out the capital has probably helped us.

Wilmslow Jambo
1 hour ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Wait until the Chinese selfie brigade find there way out of the emirates then you’ll be sorry ? 

Too late, It would appear a group have already broken out.  A friend, who was in the Roseburn yesterday, told me a group of Chinese were sitting in the row in front of him.

Do Hearts even advertise on Visit Scotland? (It’s free) 

these tile things are ten years overdue too and not marketed enough if you ask me! Should be plastered everywhere it’s free money! 

Been in Sales most of my adult life and could do a turn for Hearts! Would do it for free! So many opportunities and only firework Phil has broken into some of it in recent times 

9 minutes ago, Wilmslow Jambo said:

Too late, It would appear a group have already broken out.  A friend, who was in the Roseburn yesterday, told me a group of Chinese were sitting in the row in front of him.

We should be scouting that market heavily too! Another no brainier