UEFA's proposed 3 tier competitions

Footballfirst

Seymour M Hersh

No doubt the SFA/SPFL will fully engage in an excited OTT manner over this proposal. No doubt it will be seen as a way to get the arse cheeks more revenue in the first place with the rest of us as an afterthought. But as fans having to endure their collective mismanagement of the game in Scotland I'm sure all of us would prefer if f they got our own house in order first.

Agree with others. League Champions compete in the Champions League for the European Cup. Third place should not warrant a slot. Tough titties for Bayern and Liverpool, I’m afraid. They’ll just have to try harder to win their respective domestic leagues.

What I would say however, is at least the clubs’ proposals are better than what was being floated previously. Bad enough fourth place teams getting in to the CL, automatic qualification was a hideous idea.

10 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Did nobody actually read the OP?

The proposal is seeking to lower the number of entrants from one country (to 3 max). Also, 36 domestic league winners must be in the group stages across the 3 competitions. 

This might not be restricting the champions league to just domestic winners as most want, but it’s a step in that direction. 

Also, the new fairer split in revenue is definitely to be welcomed. 

I read the OP and definitely think these proposals are a step in the right direction... probably the reason it won’t happen tbh.

22 minutes ago, connlach said:

I also think seeding is complete nonsense in a cup competition. All seeding does is give the better teams more chance of progressing. 

Exactly. Maybe I’d feel differently if I spent my Wednesday evenings in a Liverpool or Man U shirt on my sofa, cheering on ‘my team’ against their ‘rivals’, but I don’t. I have literally no ****s to give about third place in the EPL smashing **** out of the champions of Belgium using a suitcase full of cash from collected from every corner of the globe.

European Competition for me, is when we do well enough in our domestic league to earn a place, and test ourselves against the teams from other countries who finished in the same place as us domestically. 

Liverpool, Bayern, Man U, Dortmund, Milan and Atletico Madrid not qualifying and earning tens of millions of Euros really doesn’t tug at my heart strings I’m afraid. Tough titties.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Exactly. Maybe I’d feel differently if I spent my Wednesday evenings in a Liverpool or Man U shirt on my sofa, cheering on ‘my team’ against their ‘rivals’, but I don’t. I have literally no ****s to give about third place in the EPL smashing **** out of the champions of Belgium using a suitcase full of cash from collected from every corner of the globe.

European Competition for me, is when we do well enough in our domestic league to earn a place, and test ourselves against the teams from other countries who finished in the same place as us domestically. 

Liverpool, Bayern, Man U, Dortmund, Milan and Atletico Madrid not qualifying and earning tens of millions of Euros really doesn’t tug at my heart strings I’m afraid. Tough titties.

You (and me) are the dying breed of football fan that TV has no care for.

TV aims at the next generations of airchair supporters who sit on the couch their team shirt.

The clubs that are on the gravy train are happy to coast along getting best of both worlds.

Ask any of these clubs to break away from their domestic leagues and enter a super Euro/World league and they most probably would shit themselves.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

You (and me) are the dying breed of football fan that TV has no care for.

TV aims at the next generations of airchair supporters who sit on the couch their team shirt.

The clubs that are on the gravy train are happy to coast along getting best of both worlds.

Ask any of these clubs to break away from their domestic leagues and enter a super Euro/World league and they most probably would shit themselves.

Totally agree... unfortunately. :(