Poor ickle snowflake

i8hibsh

Women do not have a print of their rules on their forehead. What is not ok for someone may be ok with the vast majority. By the vast majority of women I am sure, no line would be crossed. Are we all to stop being nice, romantic, cheesy just because one women out of every few thousand is a little delicate?

Edited by i8hibsh

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Bridge of Djoum

• Ulysses

• Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Seriously, I don't agree that guys (men as I prefer to call them) get a bad deal compared to girls and lasses (or women as I prefer to call them). I think on the whole women get a worse deal. But what I can't agree with and find objectionable is the stereotyping of men and women which I think insults both. Women encompass a whole spectrum (of behaviour, beliefs and attitudes) as do men. Ludicrous assertions such that men only ever tell women to "cheer up it will never happen " but never tell men to do the same is just so far adrift from my experience that I find it hard to take seriously anyone who makes that assertion.

Good post.

16 hours ago, Ugly American said:

:lol: behave. My comment about the beer was not based on my "non-centrist religious views" (what does that even mean?) but on my long and unglorious career as an inveterate barfly. 

For those who are really struggling with this (TBH not sure if Mr. Sifter is being sarcastic or is really struggling), let's break this down.

Telling someone to smile is not complimenting them on their appearance. It's unsolicited advice. Most people don't like getting advice from people they know, advice from rando strangers is even worse. Okay, let me know if I lost you there, but that's a big piece. (I'm not going to get into "compliments" on appearance here, as that will get into catcalling, an entirely different creepy thing to do.)

Now beyond that, telling someone to smile is telling them to act happy even if they're not feeling happy. That's not necessarily a sexist thing to do so much as it is just bad and unwelcome advice, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, some men feel compelled to say that to women more often, when they never say it to men.

So that's two reasons not to tell someone to smile, regardless of whether you're trying to get laid or not. Good?

Now let's talk about why this young fellow is either not trying to get laid or is doing an incredibly terrible job at it.

He handed her the note *as he got off the train*. He wrote "wait 10 seconds" to open it. He didn't leave a number. Even if by some unlikely miracle the woman in question found this charming, he's gone. There's no way for her to respond and say, "yes, you're right, my silly woman brain didn't realize I should have been smiling that whole time despite the fact that the dug is sick, would you come over for a roll in the hay this afternoon and maybe give me other tips on life?"

So see, he's not even trying to pick her up.

Now our actual gentleman Junta with the beer. Here's all the things he did right:

- He took an assessment of the situation and took time to figure out what she might actually enjoy (her beer brand).

- He offered condolences and hopes that things get better, rather than unsolicited advice. That was a demonstration of empathy rather than criticism.

- He offered the beer *on the way out the door*, thereby making it clear he didn't want anything in return. ("See, I bought you a beer, now you have to actually talk to me while I hit on you.")

Thoughtful, kind gesture, presented with empathy and without expectation of reciprocation.

I mean these are basic social skills, not some deep Secret Code Of Lady Whispering.

Not struggling UA, and certainly not being sarcastic either (nice assumption that it must be one or the other though?). 

I just fundamentally disagree ??

Unsolicited 'smile' comment from lassie - true story:

Day before my wedding. Me and best man staying overnight at hotel where the reception is to be held the following day. Having dinner together while I ponder the enormity of the situation. Must have been looking a bit pensive, because the nice young waitress came across to me and says "Cheer up, darling, it may never happen!"

oops!

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, 56anawthat said:

Unsolicited 'smile' comment from lassie - true story:

Day before my wedding. Me and best man staying overnight at hotel where the reception is to be held the following day. Having dinner together while I ponder the enormity of the situation. Must have been looking a bit pensive, because the nice young waitress came across to me and says "Cheer up, darling, it may never happen!"

oops!

Did you cheer yourself up and gave the waitress one??

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Not struggling UA, and certainly not being sarcastic either (nice assumption that it must be one or the other though?). 

Boom!

The note sender didn’t get in the girls face and go “smilllle” they obviously seen what they thought was a girl down on their luck and tried to cheer her up.  Where on earth is that creepy?  They are not going to stalk the lassie, didn’t leave contact details just said she had a nice smile (which we will never know) and to smile.  How the **** is that invading someone’s privacy or crossing a line.  Nothing to do with courage to speak to her either, that’s causing a scene based on a reaction.  Maybe the person sensed that 1 to 1 confrontation would end in picture taken abused or the silly immature violated response given by the young lady in question?  *He must be counting his lucky stars he didn’t get a coffee for her on the train otherwise it would be launched over him and he would be arrested by now. 

*he I’m assuming was a bloke otherwise if it was a  old lady I’m sure the young girl would have thought what a nice old lady, not posting videos feeling violated for some guy trying to brighten up someone’s day. 

On 07/10/2018 at 13:41, Justin Z said:

You can taste the incel tears, and they are delicious.

Note to incels: You are virgins because you are utter failures at life. Not because "women's lib" has stacked the deck against you.

I just watched an episode of SVU about incels who were going about raping women because of something like this. I hope this is tv exaggeration, thousands of losers on the Internet planning attacks on women who didn't smile or say hello or made a mistake by being nice to some obsessed weirdo. The world has gone mad. 

On 12/10/2018 at 03:41, Mr Sifter said:

Fair enough, I'm just gobsmacked that someone with a bit of time to reflect sees no difference between handing out unsolicited advice and politely buying a drink and expressing condolences.

Here's the last bit I'll say on the smiling thing -- ask three of your adult female friends or family members that you can trust to give you a straight answer about being told to smile by random strangers. If at least two don't tell you that it's happened to them and they really don't like it, I'll be surprised.

I once got my arse groped in a club at around 2:50am

I was quite drunk and wrongly accused a lovely lassie of attempting to steal my wallet.

:facepalm::vrface::jj_facepalm:

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I once got my arse groped in a club at around 2:50am

I was quite drunk and wrongly accused a lovely lassie of attempting to steal my wallet.

:facepalm::vrface::jj_facepalm:

Sure it was a lassie?

45 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Sure it was a lassie?

Yup.

My constant failures with the opposite sex are all permanently etched in my brain......i even scared off a women once merely by bringing up Basil Brush in conversation.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Der Kaiser said:

Yup.

My constant failures with the opposite sex are all permanently etched in my brain......i even scared off a women once merely by bringing up Basil Brush in conversation.

I don't think it was Basil per se that put her off, more what you planned to do with him.

28 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I don't think it was Basil per se that put her off, more what you planned to do with him.

No word of a lie.....the topic of anal sex had already been discussed. But that little omnivorous deerstalker wearing guy gets brought up and she walks.....

No boom boom that night.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

No word of a lie.....the topic of anal sex had already been discussed. But that little omnivorous deerstalker wearing guy gets brought up and she walks.....

No boom boom that night.

You're in prison now, right?

Personally, I feel Louise is being a snowflake on this subject. Thoughts I8? 

Edited by jambo89

On 14/10/2018 at 13:03, Der Kaiser said:

Yup.

I once spent a good part of an hour chatting up a lovely girl. Thought my luck was in until she suddenly said "You don't like me, do you?" and just walked off. Nowadays there would have been a witty one-liner fired back at her within microseconds and I would still have hopefully been in with a chance. Back then I was young and just sat there with a glaikit look of complete surprise on my face as she retreated into the distance. Yup, I can empathise with you when you say that these episodes are etched in your brain. :)

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 19:53, redjambo said:

I once spent a good part of an hour chatting up a lovely girl. Thought my luck was in until she suddenly said "You don't like me, do you?" and just walked off. Nowadays there would have been a witty one-liner fired back at her within microseconds and I would still have hopefully been in with a chance. Back then I was young and just sat there with a glaikit look of complete surprise on my face as she retreated into the distance. Yup, I can empathise with you when you say that these episodes are etched in your brain. :)

No she decided she didn't like you but turned it around.