Tierney on start of season (some Hearts-related comments)

Watt-Zeefuik

Watt-Zeefuik

The headline makes it sound like whatever forgotten Rangers fud said in December of our Championship year, "CAN YOU HANDLE THE PRESSURE?!?" but if you read the article, his actual comments are measured and reasonable.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/celtic-s-kieran-tierney-warns-hearts-pressure-will-keep-building-1-4808888

Here's his actual Hearts-related content, without all the pot-stirring.

“It is a really long season and to keep up how well Hearts have started is really hard for them. It’s really hard for anybody because they are unbeaten,” Tierney said. “It is a long season, long way to go and it will be really interesting to see how it all unfolds.

“Usually the pressure is on us to lead from the front but they’re sitting on top of the Premiership and they haven’t lost to anyone yet so the pressure will eventually build on them.

“At Celtic, we’re used to dealing with that pressure all the time. Hearts have had a great start and proved that they’re really hard to beat – we already know that because, when we lost to them at Tynecastle, it was a really tough game.

“It’s good for the division that so many teams are challenging at this early stage but, for us, we want to climb up the table. People talk about a title challenge and, especially when there’s so much chatter about us, we just want to work hard and go out there and do what we’ve always done.

“We’re not looking to prove anybody wrong; it’s more about proving ourselves right and get back to where we were in the two previous seasons – or as close as we possibly can.”

I was fully ready to be annoyed at him based on the headline but nothing wrong with what he's said here TBH.

Seems decent enough about it, but wait till later on in the season if we're still in this position and I don't think he'll be quite as complimentary 

18 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

The headline makes it sound like whatever forgotten Rangers fud said in December of our Championship year, "CAN YOU HANDLE THE PRESSURE?!?" but if you read the article, his actual comments are measured and reasonable.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/celtic-s-kieran-tierney-warns-hearts-pressure-will-keep-building-1-4808888

Here's his actual Hearts-related content, without all the pot-stirring.

I was fully ready to be annoyed at him based on the headline but nothing wrong with what he's said here TBH.

Nothing wrong with it at all, be interesting to see how Celtic deal with a kind of pressure they are not usually under though (smirk).

21 minutes ago, Junta said:

What do Celtic know about being under pressure?

That’s what I thought. They are used to coasting to the title with minimal resistance.

I don’t have any real problem with what he’s saying here, though.

Durham Jambo

Celtic haven’t been under any pressure for the last six years. If we were to be in a position to win the title nearer the end of the season then the pressure would be worse on them. They’d be labelled as the Celtic players and manager that couldn’t win a league against a team with 1/10th of their budget. 

Perfectly good and we'll balanced comments from a young lad. Fair play and media spin is the usual guff trying to create controversy where non exists.

been here before

As OF players go I dont mind Tierney. He seems a decent enough laddie playing for the team he's always wanted to play for and basically living his dream and not quite believing he's doing it.

Always comes over as genuinelly enthusiastic about what he's doing and still helps out his local boys club he used to play for.

Cant really disagree with anything he's quoted as saying above.

It is very easy to dislike Celtic as a club, their fans, their odd political persuasions, their manager, the city in which they are based etc. However, generally their players don't tend to bother me (with the obvious exception of Brown) and Griffiths, and now Tierney, have actually been fairly complimentary towards us although given our start it would be fairly outrageous if they want. The Hun, on the other hand, have always had a tradition of players that are arrogant arseholes and who are easy to dislike.

Edited by Jambos_1874

If we won the league, I’d enjoy knowing Gordon must feel some regret about not re-signing with us.

Tierney is a good player. Seriously overrated though.

Fair comment and reasonably sensible for an old firm player. As a player though Tierney needs to move to fulfil his potential, he's stalled compared to Robertson. 

Edited by Jodami

1 minute ago, Jodami said:

Fair comment and reasonably sensible for an old firm player. As a player though Tierney needs to move to fulfil his potential, he's stalled compared to Robertson. 

Some players just don’t make it as they get older. Watching him bouncing off Uche was delightful.

37 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

If we won the league, I’d enjoy knowing Gordon must feel some regret about not re-signing with us.

Tierney is a good player. Seriously overrated though.

I'm a sad git - if we do win I'll be wondering how Skinny feels at having left us for pastures new. :)

Probably mostly because I rated him as a player though, and I'd have loved him to be a part of this squad.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm a sad git - if we do win I'll be wondering how Skinny feels at having left us for pastures new. :)

Probably mostly because I rated him as a player though, and I'd have loved him to be a part of this squad.

Still take him back in a heartbeat.

N Lincs Jambo

Saw the headlines firstly in the SMSM and my initial reaction was what a tosser. Having now read the full interview, like many on here, nothing to see.  Let's face it, if we do genuinely get to the business end of the season still in a position to challenge then the pressure will be on.

I'm 55 now and in all those years we have been there or thereabouts in 64-65, 85-86, 87-88, 91-92, 97-98, 05-06. I never thought I'd see us win the cup until 16.05.98 and according to these stats we're well overdue a league title. Rangers (as they were) don't exist and have zero major honours, Celtic are in disarray and is there seriously anyone else we should be shiteing it off?? 

Make hay while the sun shines. Leicester did it down south and they were a more unlikely league winner than us.

4 hours ago, Junta said:

What do Celtic know about being under pressure?

This.

Tho there is a bit of pressure on them right now...

Edited by Spellczech

Celtic will have a new manager by the end of the season maybe by the end of the month if they loose to us twice so it could be a different celtic team cone January so we will wait and see what pressure they are under until then. Can't see Lawell giving Rodgers the dembele transfer cash if they aren't 2nd or 3rd in the league and being within 9 points of who are above them.

Celtic have pressure of their own and if this carries on for another month it will be the kind they have yet to experience. 

It has been a long time since Celtic have been under pressure to get results in order to catch someone.

A_A wehatethehibs

There is no pressure whatsoever on Hearts, all we have to do is win our next 20  or 25 games in a row to claim the title fairly straightforward i would think. Should be easy 

17 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Still take him back in a heartbeat.

17 hours ago, redjambo said:

Yup.

This!!! 

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This!!! 

He'd be fantastic in this current squad, imo. Love how organised and well-drilled we are now, and it is bloody effective. Still just like to have that 'live-wire' type of player though too. That Sort of Maverick forward who just wants to run at the opposition and make things happen. The Livi game for example - Cannae break them down despite numerous attacks; Skinny comes off the bench at just runs at the defenders, and asks a question or two of them in the box. I always think the best teams are the ones that have a solid core who all play a very organised game, and are well drilled, but have that one guy who just makes things happen.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

He'd be fantastic in this current squad, imo. Love how organised and well-drilled we are now, and it is bloody effective. Still just like to have that 'live-wire' type of player though too. That Sort of Maverick forward who just wants to run at the opposition and make things happen. The Livi game for example - Cannae break them down despite numerous attacks; Skinny comes off the bench at just runs at the defenders, and asks a question or two of them in the box. I always think the best teams are the ones that have a solid core who all play a very organised game, and are well drilled, but have that one guy who just makes things happen.

I read that as "that sort of Moravcik player".

They guys don't fall off trees very often.

Then I read it again and Maverick and Moravcik and intertwined. Brilliant player, dreadful club.

August Landmesser

Calumn Morrison has shown flashes of that. 

10 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I do like Morrison a lot too. Milinkovic looked more threatening through the middle for me though. Morrison seems to be more inclined to stay out wide.

18 minutes ago, PsychocAndy said:

I read that as "that sort of Moravcik player".

They guys don't fall off trees very often.

Then I read it again and Maverick and Moravcik and intertwined. Brilliant player, dreadful club.

Moravcik was a very good player. Always saw Rudi (the second time around) as our Moravcik; wee bit older and without the bursts of energy he had when younger, but so good technically, it didn’t matter much as he was always in the right place at the right time.

Loose cannon nae use to us our coaching team expect our players to follow instructions.

17 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Loose cannon nae use to us our coaching team expect our players to follow instructions.

Genuinely not sure if that was ironic or serious? :lol:

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Morrison definitely has that quality but Milinkovic is a grown man and less likely to go off the boil or get pushed around.

Milinkovic made his bed and now he can lie in it as far as I’m concerned.

We’re top of the league playing some cracking football and he can’t get onto Hull’s bench. 

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I do like Morrison a lot too. Milinkovic looked more threatening through the middle for me though. Morrison seems to be more inclined to stay out wide.

Because that is Morrison’s job as a winger/wing back.

15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Because that is Morrison’s job as a winger/wing back.

Well, aye... I expect so. That’s why I never brought him up when I was talking about what I liked about Milinkovic.

August Landmesser
41 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Well, aye... I expect so. That’s why I never brought him up when I was talking about what I liked about Milinkovic.

I was more thinking about the unpredictability, than the 'strict' positional parallels. Both good, fun players to have seen though.

Although, I'm missing Skinny less than I thought I would.

15 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I was more thinking about the unpredictability, than the 'strict' positional parallels. Both good, fun players to have seen though.

Although, I'm missing Skinny less than I thought I would.

Yes mate, I agree. I got that. I think the other poster must have picked up the wrong end of the stick though. :thumbsup: