Sportsound last night

Skippy Doodle

Christ I’ve just listened to @BBCSportsound podcast from last night. Finger on the pulse as usual from McCall commons and Hughes “that lad from sheff Utd” “harry Dunne?” “You need to win in Glasgow” Tuesday is definitely the poorest panel in the week. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnthomas

• whodanny

• Skippy Doodle

• The Treasurer

Their ignorance will be their fall...I hope we do a Leicester and go the whole season with the "they wont keep it up" comments.  And then as it dawns on them, it will be too late. The big difference this season is we have a quality squad to carry us through. Can you say the same about Celtic? Rangers? We have lost Lafferty and Berra in the last few weeks and has it affected us? Nope. We will also receive a huge shot in the arm come January when Vanecek arrives. 2 strong, physical strikers to bully opposition back-lines. They don't like playing against Uche, well wait until big Dave joins the party...

I would say although first XI under burley was stronger we have a better overall squad now 

I do not buy into the notion that we have to win in Glasgow either. Consistency against other teams is key along with avoiding defeat in Glasgow 97/98 is a fine example of a situation were our consistency against other teams meant that rangers and Celtic were having to beat us to stay in touch

It’s a painful listen on a Tuesday, that’s for sure. Re yer Glasgow comment, McCall insisted Hearts have to win there before they can be considered genuine challengers...”because that’s what provincial clubs have to do” ??

The hysteria and whataboutery will get worse while we continue to win. They are willing us to fail. I hate the BBC here. A nest of Weebie centric assholes.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I agree we have to win in Glasgow. If for no other reason than to dispel that talk. I think it's a great belief building block. Even draws will do that if you are winning home games against them 

27 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

It’s a painful listen on a Tuesday, that’s for sure. Re yer Glasgow comment, McCall insisted Hearts have to win there before they can be considered genuine challengers...”because that’s what provincial clubs have to do” ??

Provincial? WTAF? The man's a cretin.

Better call Saul

If we hadn't already beat celtic they would be saying first... 'hearts need to beat celtic and rangers'. Now that we beat  one of them... They then go to plan B. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

"Provincial" - we play in the CAPITAL ya welt!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The hysteria and whataboutery will get worse while we continue to win. They are willing us to fail. I hate the BBC here. A nest of Weebie centric assholes.

Perfectly summed up!

1 hour ago, Skippy Doodle said:

I would say although first XI under burley was stronger we have a better overall squad now 

I do not buy into the notion that we have to win in Glasgow either. Consistency against other teams is key along with avoiding defeat in Glasgow 97/98 is a fine example of a situation were our consistency against other teams meant that rangers and Celtic were having to beat us to stay in touch

Sorry, but there is no way we have a better squad. That squad would piss the league now.

We don’t have to win our games at Celtic Park and Ibrox!!

win 4 of our home games against them and it then boils down to our results against other teams.

50 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree we have to win in Glasgow. If for no other reason than to dispel that talk. I think it's a great belief building block. Even draws will do that if you are winning home games against them 

I get what you're saying but if we win the league and haven't won in Glasgow no shits will be given by me.

1 hour ago, Skippy Doodle said:

The results against Rangers and particularly against Celtic were what cost us the league that season. Reverse a couple of defeats into wins and we'd have done it. It is important to beat the old firm as they are 6 point swing matches. It gives breathing space for when we falter in other games too.

14 minutes ago, stan said:

The results against Rangers and particularly against Celtic were what cost us the league that season. Reverse a couple of defeats into wins and we'd have done it. It is important to beat the old firm as they are 6 point swing matches. It gives breathing space for when we falter in other games too.

Far easier to not falter in the other games I would have thought.

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Commons comment that "Hearts have to keep up with Celtic and Rangers" . We're feckin 5 and 7 points clear FFS.

I can take their point on Celtic they are proven over the course but Rangers have been nowhere near being champions and I honestly don't have a clue who half their squad is.Its just Rangers are thought of as contenders because well they are Rangers no merit to it at all,certainly no more than us or others anyway.

I don’t expect us to be too attacking away at the OF but we now have a squad more than capable of playing on the counter attack in glasgow. Disciplined defending will be key. Those will be the games in which Berra could be a big miss but Souttar has stepped up so far.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Totally agree. It puts down a real marker if you win through there and builds real belief. 

2 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Christ I’ve just listened to @BBCSportsound podcast from last night. Finger on the pulse as usual from McCall commons and Hughes “that lad from sheff Utd” “harry Dunne?” “You need to win in Glasgow” Tuesday is definitely the poorest panel in the week. 

Hope we keep Harry away from the goal posts during winter. 

9662D1CE-80E2-4CE7-84D0-54EE7BE4A33F.png

46 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

The first XI would but we had Simmons Macfarlane and Mcallister on our bench 

Only Berra would get in that side.  In fact a young Berra and Wallace hit the bench from time to time.  

It’s not even guaranteed that the OF will win in Edinburgh this season. So I don’t think we have to win in Glasgow to be in with a chance, although it would help.

3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Only Berra would get in that side.  In fact a young Berra and Wallace hit the bench from time to time.  

Again buddy I’m not disputing first XI. In terms of depth and balance our squad has more options. I’d rather have Maclean bozanic and Cochrane on bench than Simmons Mcallister and macfarlane 

Kinda reminds me of when we were in the championship and they couldn't see past Sevco. We carried on about our business and left them to talk their shite.

Quite happy to do the same again. These provincial pundits can do one

Not saying we’ll win the league, but it’s guaranteed they haven’t watched us once this season.

Their professionalism is shocking. It’s night and day compared to someone like Chris Sutton

50 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I can take their point on Celtic they are proven over the course but Rangers have been nowhere near being champions and I honestly don't have a clue who half their squad is.Its just Rangers are thought of as contenders because well they are Rangers no merit to it at all,certainly no more than us or others anyway.

Except, they're not Rangers. They are a club who now play at Ibrox that think they are Rangers.

Edited by whodanny

Guess The Crowd
3 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

You're right about Tuesday being the poorest panel of the week.

Thankfully it takes a step up on a Wednesday, so Scotland's top player is on in a few minutes time....

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, graygo said:

I get what you're saying but if we win the league and haven't won in Glasgow no shits will be given by me.

Nor me.

Just a strong belief you need to do well in those matches. Adds to our points denies them gives us belief and lumps pressure on them. 

A good deal of professional sport is influenced by fine psychological margins 

Edited by Sir Gio

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

"Provincial" - we play in the CAPITAL ya welt!!!!!

Exactly Thomaso.  How can we possibly be a "provincial" club? Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were described as such back in the 80s and you could possibly see the logic in that. I do agree with McCall, i think it was, and Yogi agreed, that it's "a garbage comment" to pigeon hole a player as being a centre half only. Good players can and should be able to play anywhere. Souttar was bullied as a CH prior to his injury and has now built himself up and developed as a ball playing centre half. It happens all the time. It's not Dundee Utd's fault that he took time to develop and , arguably, they did what we did with Cochrane in giving him game time before he was ready. This place would be in meltdown if another manager accused us of "nearly ruining" a player. Thankfully,  we are getting the benefit of his development and he will earn our club millions when he moves on, whether that is in January, May or whenever.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

It’s not even guaranteed that the OF will win in Edinburgh this season. So I don’t think we have to win in Glasgow to be in with a chance, although it would help.

:spoton:

avhudtheteeshirt
2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

Stop it!!!! You're giving me goose bumps!!!!!

2 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Again buddy I’m not disputing first XI. In terms of depth and balance our squad has more options. I’d rather have Maclean bozanic and Cochrane on bench than Simmons Mcallister and macfarlane 

No bother mate, see your point ?

Edited by Inch Hearts

Listening on radio to sportsound tonight. Interesting. Tom English saying himself and other journalists are hearing there's problems within Celtic. Lots of their conversation reminds me of how they all started on us in George burley era.Keeps us under the radar .Great. 

Celtic are a wounded animal right now. Question is, will we, and others, go in for the kill. I’m starting to think that Rangers are the team to beat this season. 

17 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Celtic are a wounded animal right now. Question is, will we, and others, go in for the kill. I’m starting to think that Rangers are the team to beat this season. 

I think so too.

Cringey tonight....special mystery guest...Kris Boyd. Who then talked about Celtic for literally 10 minutes before going on about his team (well Kilmarnock the team he plays for...)

On 19/09/2018 at 16:15, Ferris Bueller said:

If we hadn't already beat celtic they would be saying first... 'hearts need to beat celtic and rangers'. Now that we beat  one of them... They then go to plan B. 

What they're saying isn't wrong though is it. Our record in Glasgow over last 35 years is pitiful. That's a wrong we need to put right and Ibrox in a fortnight would be a good place to start 

Beating Celtic at home in early weeks of season feels a bit different to going through to Glasgow and winning 

Edited by EastSideJambo

Imo it is dropping points like we did at the weekend which is fatal to success.  If we are to be serious challengers we won't get away with it too often.

Victories in Glasgow are more of an exclamation point but if were not capable of it from time to time we won't be successful.

Tough battle ahead.  I'm confident that Craig Levein is more than up for it.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Imo it is dropping points like we did at the weekend which is fatal to success.  If we are to be serious challengers we won't get away with it too often.

Victories in Glasgow are more of an exclamation point but if were not capable of it from time to time we won't be successful.

Tough battle ahead.  I'm confident that Craig Levein is more than up for it.

We only unbeaten team in league , Celtic have lost to us , lost to Kilmarnock and drew with st lie down! 

pettigrewsstylist
On 19/09/2018 at 17:35, Des Lynam said:

Totally agree. It puts down a real marker if you win through there and builds real belief. 

Its the pressure and doubt it would put onto THEIR squads when they are away at difficult grounds that would be the biggest dividend of winning in Glasgow