U18s - Hearts v Aberdeen

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I watched an excellent game of football at Riccarton this evening. 

The game finished 0-0, but there was no lack of effort or skill on show from two well matched sides.

Hearts came closest from a Connor Smith free kick from 25 yards that hit the post in the first half and Aberdeen did likewise from what looked like a deflected cross in the second.  In between those efforts,  the Aberdeen keeper pulled off a great diving save to deny Jay King.

I wasn't going to bother posting about the U18s, but when you see a good game and an excellent individual performance, such as than put in by Connor Smith tonight (his 3rd game in 6 days), I think it's worth sharing.

Scotland youth coach Donald Park was there and should have been impressed by several of the players from both sides.

Hearts line up

Stone

Logan Leddie, Darge, Watson

Hickey, Smith, Ritchie, King, McGill

Schiavone

Unusually Hearts didn't use any subs. 

Hearts team was made up of 2 x 2001s,, 5 x 2002s and 4 x 2003s

Aberdeen started with 3 x 2001s, 7 x 2002s and 1 x 2003.

scott herbertson

Sounds as if we have some good prospects there, esp given the age disparity. Thanks for the report as always

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Always good to get these reports FF. No opportunity for people like myself to see the younger players so appreciate the posts

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I watched an excellent game of football at Riccarton this evening. 

The game finished 0-0, but there was no lack of effort or skill on show from two well matched sides.

Hearts came closest from a Connor Smith free kick from 25 yards that hit the post in the first half and Aberdeen did likewise from what looked like a deflected cross in the second.  In between those efforts,  the Aberdeen keeper pulled off a great diving save to deny Jay King.

I wasn't going to bother posting about the U18s, but when you see a good game and an excellent individual performance, such as than put in by Connor Smith tonight (his 3rd game in 6 days), I think it's worth sharing.

Scotland youth coach Donald Park was there and should have been impressed by several of the players from both sides.

Hearts line up

Stone

Logan Leddie, Darge, Watson

Hickey, Smith, Ritchie, King, McGill

Schiavone

Unusually Hearts didn't use any subs. 

Hearts team was made up of 2 x 2001s,, 5 x 2002s and 4 x 2003s

Aberdeen started with 3 x 2001s, 7 x 2002s and 1 x 2003.

see when you say about posting about  the u18s , I would love to hear reports of all age groups . keep up the good work FF

The_razors_edge

I watched Arron Darge in a Scottish cup tie for longniddrie villa against Elgin star over here in fife. Despite being on the losing team that day he was excellent. Any idea how he’s progressing FF? 

Footballfirst
Just now, The_razors_edge said:

I watched Arron Darge in a Scottish cup tie for longniddrie villa against Elgin star over here in fife. Despite being on the losing team that day he was excellent. Any idea how he’s progressing FF? 

He had a really good game tonight. He's very composed on the ball and decent in the air. I've been impressed with him since he came to the club from Longniddy last year.  He's still eligible to play U16s so the U18s is a step up for him.

portobellojambo1

Hope it isn't a daft question FF but do the dates 2001, 2002 & 2003 in your initial post relate to the years in which the relevant players were born ?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Is King the youngest brother of Billy?

No. It's Jay King. The youngest of the King brothers left Hearts three or four months ago.

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

No. It's Jay King. The youngest of the King brothers left Hearts three or four months ago.

?

Thanks for the update FF, I appreciate your postings on the younger age groups.  It sounds like Connor Smith could be a real prospect. 

The_razors_edge
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

He had a really good game tonight. He's very composed on the ball and decent in the air. I've been impressed with him since he came to the club from Longniddy last year.  He's still eligible to play U16s so the U18s is a step up for him.

Good to hear, thanks. Just goes to show it’s never too late to get a crack at making it in the game. 

Is Donald Park not back with Hearts?  

Exchanged pleasantries as I passed him the other day and he had full Hearts coaching kit on.

26 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Exchanged pleasantries as I passed him the other day and he had full Hearts coaching kit on.

He stepped down from his roles with the SFA this year I'm sure. Great coach and guy to have around a club. Interesting to hear if he is involved at hearts in some way 

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He is with the U13s today coaching them along with Darren Murray. (according to the former HYDC twitter page, now @FutureIsMaroon

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

He is with the U13s today coaching them along with Darren Murray. (according to the former HYDC twitter page, now @FutureIsMaroon

??

chuck berrys hairline

FF should maybe use jays full name to save confusion, Charleston-King. Stop the same questions coming up!

Edited by chuck berrys hairline

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Good to hear. 

I don't think I saw him at Tynecastle at all last season, but he used to have a regular seat in the directors box in the old main stand. 

As well as a regular at Riccarton for the U19's etc. 

Just now, chuck berrys hairline said:

FF should maybe use jays full name to save confusion, Charleston-King. Stop the same questions coming up!

Is that Billy Kings wee brother?

:duck:

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Good to hear. 

I don't think I saw him at Tynecastle at all last season, but he used to have a regular seat in the directors box in the old main stand. 

As well as a regular at Riccarton for the U19's etc. 

One thing the tweet said is that it will be one game only that there is a coaching team for the U13s of Park and Murray. Dont know if that means Park is just helping out for one game, or Murray is helping out for one game or both.

The Internet

Yeah keep this up as much as you can imo, very interesting ?

Is there a fixture list anywhere for the youth teams? Can't see one on the website. 

43 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One thing the tweet said is that it will be one game only that there is a coaching team for the U13s of Park and Murray. Dont know if that means Park is just helping out for one game, or Murray is helping out for one game or both.

I wonder if both are, are the 13s not taken by the 2 Darrens- Wilson and Thomson maybe ?

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

I wonder if both are, are the 13s not taken by the 2 Darrens- Wilson and Thomson maybe ?

Not sure. One thing I wish Hearts did was have more information about the youth teams on their website (a lot of clubs do put information on) as it always feels like you are lucky to find info.

Footballfirst

I watched this morning's U13 game. It was quite a tousy affair with no-one allowed any time on the ball, meaning that there were few opportunities to play a passing game.

I only saw Darren Murray doing any coaching.

Donald Park was still wearing SFA kit when I saw him last night.

billbaberton
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Was he not a Scout/coach at Celtic? Be class to have him bring through a boy like Tierney.

Footballfirst

The academy fixtures can be found in the attached file. Note that they are subject to change (and often late).  Hearts home games normally kick off at 10:30am, except for Aberdeen, Ross Co., and ICT when thay can be as late as 1pm.

CASPGP - 2018 (Club).pdf

The U18s are away to Celtic next Friday, then away to Hibs on Tue 4 Sept.

They then have successive home games against Motherwell and Kilmarnock on 14th and 21st Sept.

Edited by Footballfirst

53 minutes ago, billbaberton said:

Was he not a Scout/coach at Celtic? Be class to have him bring through a boy like Tierney.

Who? 

D Park or D Murray? 

Neither have been coaches at Celtic. 

Ex-Hearts Steve Frail was a youth coach there, but is now at Northern Ireland. 

Ex-Hearts John McGlinn is a coach at Celtic, as is Tosh McKinlay...

Would love to see Darren Murray progress through the ranks at Hearts and eventually be involved with the first team.

billbaberton
7 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Who? 

D Park or D Murray? 

Neither have been coaches at Celtic. 

Ex-Hearts Steve Frail was a youth coach there, but is now at Northern Ireland. 

Ex-Hearts John McGlinn is a coach at Celtic, as is Tosh McKinlay...

Donald Park, was he at Hibs then? Positive I remember something from Frail' time at the club and he was about.

2 minutes ago, billbaberton said:

Donald Park, was he at Hibs then? Positive I remember something from Frail' time at the club and he was about.

Yes Donald Park was assistant manager to Frank Sauzee. (plus other coaching roles at ER) 

He was also Robbo's assistant at Inverness when they first won promotion to the top league.  

jamboinglasgow
41 minutes ago, billbaberton said:

Think your thinking of John Park. Who was head of youth at Hibs and then went to Celtic to head up their recruitment until a few seasons ago 

3 hours ago, Bez said:

Would love to see Darren Murray progress through the ranks at Hearts and eventually be involved with the first team.

Ive never really got the love in on here with him. Having had a few dealings with him over the years I think he's got other plans. 

I thought he he was more involved with box soccer now anyway