Jeremy Corbyn

ri Alban

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We do sell some horrible regimes a lot of military hardware.

This! 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• maroonlegions

• ri Alban

• Francis Albert

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Absolute piffle.

Give  me a name of any senior politician and let's see if I can back up my statement.

43 minutes ago, felix said:

Whilst all recent governments have negotiated with terrorists; the problem with Corbyn seems to be, he's clearly taken the Republican side in the Anglo-Irish agreement, voting against the government and his own party. Those with a better understanding of NI politics, can confirm whether the agreement proved to be a stepping stone to peace.

Corbyn would say to achieve peace, you have to negotiate. However he seems to align himself to only one side . Republican and Hamas.

It must play out better for him,  if he'd been actively engaged with both sides , both Unionists and Zionist ?

People take sides.

9 minutes ago, felix said:

and in Irish politics in the mid-eighties; Corbyn chose the wrong side.

That's your opinion.

And valid.

Corbyn was perhaps of the opinion that state terror is as bad and often worse than terrorist groups.

I don't think his support of republican politics means he condones murder.

If you choose the unionist side does that mean you condone the acts of violence and discrimination perpetrated by state and loyalist terror groups.

No.

1 minute ago, jambos are go! said:

As per usual when the SNP have bad press anti Tory and anti Labour threads are resurrected or created.

What bad press?

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We do sell some horrible regimes a lot of military hardware.

That I agree with but not the guff Jake is coming out with.

Seymour M Hersh
45 minutes ago, jake said:

What bad press?

From another source.

SALMOND’S NIGHTMARE

They ghosties wha’ gave Scrooge the fricht
Called on Salmond in the nicht,
The consequence o’ a’ his schemin’
Had him aquake an’ a’ night screamin’,
For he saw ahead in the ghosties’ vision
His death bein’ hailed just wi’ derision,
For a’ the hurt his acts have wraught 
Aye cryin' the call o’ nationalism
Into our future; now sae fraught,
Wi anger, hatred an’ division!

For a' they ghosties showed he lives 
As Scotland’s rogue; as Scotlands sieve,
Nettin’ the worst of Scottish traits
The Natties' English hatin' ways,
And let escape the best o' us
The quiet ones wi’oot the cuss,
The ones who won but bear the cost
Aye bein’ bullied by those who lost,
So its high time noo to alter course,
Tae halt his clamour for divorce!

For if he does not; he’ll just be flung
Into a grave by which ye’ll run,
An' if ye stop to tae see wha’s there
Ye’ll kick his dust up in the air,
Ye’ll read the words carved on his stane:
“Here lies Scotland’s lastin' shame,
They ghosties gie’d him one last chance
To avoid his Hell if he’d repent,
But he chose his anti-English dance,
A cinder noo; his bawbees spent!!”

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

50 minutes ago, jake said:

That's your opinion.

And valid.

Corbyn was perhaps of the opinion that state terror is as bad and often worse than terrorist groups.

If you choose the unionist side does that mean you condone the acts of violence and discrimination perpetrated by state and loyalist terror groups.

No.

Corbyn's on record condemning violence from all sides; and is clearly not anti-Semitic.

Supporting republicans (or Hamas) doesn't mean he condones murder but he (and John McDonnell)  made a mistake in mid-eighties Ireland ( imo ), and it'ss being dredged up now, by his detractors.

11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That I agree with but not the guff Jake is coming out with.

The quote you reacted to from Jake, wasn't "piffle".

It was fairly accurate.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, felix said:

The quote you reacted to from Jake, wasn't "piffle".

It was fairly accurate.

Who other than Corbyn has been overtly friendly with IRA terrorists, Hammas etc? Sharing platforms with them, inviting them to the Houses of Parliament? 

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Who other than Corbyn has been overtly friendly with IRA terrorists, Hammas etc? Sharing platforms with them, inviting them to the Houses of Parliament? 

..as I said (and Jake alluded to). Every recent government has negotiated with terrorists (including the IRA) - even Thatcher.

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, felix said:

..as I said (and Jake alluded to). Every recent government has negotiated with terrorists (including the IRA) - even Thatcher.

That's completely different as you should know. Governments have to, at times, interact and negotiate with unsavoury individuals and countries. Corbyn has never been in Government in any capacity so what's his excuse? 

11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That's completely different as you should know. Governments have to, at times, interact and negotiate with unsavoury individuals and countries. Corbyn has never been in Government in any capacity so what's his excuse? 

Exactly. As Jake said "Corbyn's involvement pales into insignificance" in this respect.

He's clearly taken sides, but with regard to "love ins with terrorists" - Blair's affair with Libya - our continued love-in with The Saudis and the Conservatives love-in with Saddam all make Jeremy's invite to the IRA seem rather trivial..

Anyhow - no-one's castigating Blair for striking a deal with the IRA in advance of The Good Friday Agreement - so what's the deal with Jeremy ?

7 hours ago, Quagmire said:

I didn't correct you on the anti-semitism because it's utter nonsense. I'm sure there is anti-semitism in all the parties, but singling out corbyn in this manner is ludicrous and clearly politically motivated. Do you honestly think the labour party is more bigoted than the conservatives?

I know the clip you're talking about r.e. hamas, and could show you countless others of prime ministers referring to equally odious individuals in very cordial terms. Pinochet, Saddam Hussain, Gadaffi spring to mind. Hamas are there at least partly because of the circumstances of the region. Pinochet was essentially put into place by western powers and allowed to commit massacres.

The point is, business interest based foreign policy is what leads to maniacs being put into power. It's what caused the first world war, and it could very well be what causes another. Ultimately, Corbyn wants peace. Tories and New Labour have shown very little appetite for this in the past 4 decades.

Well said.

Another MP is apparently going to quit over the anti semitic row and has he not been reported to an MP's standard watchdog or something over his anti semitic comments? 

Edited by Dawnrazor

AlphonseCapone
19 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s not enough facepalms for that kind of stuff tbh. It’s like the Daily Express comparing Scotland to Zimbabwe. 

Do you actually live in a world where you believe that? 

Wouldn't bother. You can't debate with someone who believes that sort of nonsense imo. 

13 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The UK dealing with Saudi is business related, it maintains thousands of UK jobs and brings in hundreds of millions of pounds to the UK economy.  The IRA killed dozens of British citizens and brought years of fear and suffering, Hamas and other such organisations have done likewise in other counties, and yet Corbyn genuinely sympathises with their cause.  Comparing the two things is at best disingenuous .   Add in the anti semitism that he will never shake off and he is utterly unelectable.  You sound like you want a left wing labour government which is fair enough but Corbyn is toxic for achieving that.  

Cool. So if it suits the UK and its economy then murder and oppression are fine but soon as it impacts on British folk we should be morally outrage? 

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Wouldn't bother. You can't debate with someone who believes that sort of nonsense imo. 

Cool. So if it suits the UK and its economy then murder and oppression are fine but soon as it impacts on British folk we should be morally outrage? 

That’s been the case for hundreds of years, it’s the reality of the world for almost every modern advanced nation.  To deny it is naive, to try and do different is admirable but is also naive given it is what the majority of citizens of this and almost every other country expect from its government.  

AlphonseCapone
11 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s been the case for hundreds of years, it’s the reality of the world for almost every modern advanced nation.  To deny it is naive, to try and do different is admirable but is also naive given it is what the majority of citizens of this and almost every other country expect from its government.  

I actually think the majority of folk in this county would prefer we didn't sell arms to the Saudis. It's the guys at the top that make money from the military - industrial complex, not Sharon from Blackpool. 

You're right though, it won't stop, I'm not naive enough to think it will, especially when it seems it's something we are good at apparently;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-is-now-the-second-biggest-arms-dealer-in-the-world-a7225351.html

22 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Saudia Arabia are state terrorists, as was the Thatcher backed Pinochet Chilean government, and Saddam's Iraqi government. Morality had nothing to do with western powers turning on him.

Corbyn believes in diplomacy, communication and ultimately, democracy. I see no harm in trying to achieve an atmosphere of cordiality, which is all this infamous 'friends-gate' stems from IMO. He has personal stances on issues, but has repeated time and time again that these issues should be decided democratically, not by himself if he were to get into power. This is the essence of what if good about corbyn - he wants to change the way decisions are made across society, to make society more genuinely democratic. We do not currently live in a genuine democracy.

12 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You sound incredibly nihilistic from this. What do you think the role of government is?

Also, what do you think it should be? Or if that question is too naïve, what would you like it to be, pragmatically and/or ideally?

Edited by Quagmire

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

You sound incredibly nihilistic from this. What do you think the role of government is?

Also, what do you think it should be? Or if that question is too naïve, what would you like it to be, pragmatically and/or ideally?

You might not be shocked to hear that I believe in a small government who mostly creates a free market environment for its people to flourish (don’t read into that that I support Brexit btw).  Where I do expect government intervention is to eradicate or minimise any threats to the citizens of that country, while wherever possible challenging persecution of others around the world.   I also don’t believe in state intervention in industry as I would rather that market forces determined sucesses and failures of business 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You might not be shocked to hear that I believe in a small government who mostly creates a free market environment for its people to flourish (don’t read into that that I support Brexit btw).  Where I do expect government intervention is to eradicate or minimise any threats to the citizens of that country, while wherever possible challenging persecution of others around the world.   I also don’t believe in state intervention in industry as I would rather that market forces determined sucesses and failures of business 

Not helping industry could be seen as a threat to the citizens of the country. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This must rank as the worst government ever and Corbyn’s attempts to take them on are laughable.

Added to the fact that his ‘holier than though’ persona has been shown to be utter shite, he needs to go

20 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Fair enough man. I just think that that way of doing things would make inequality go through the roof, leading to a more unstable society, probably a massive war (see WWI for previous) and we'd all end up dead :D

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Fair enough man. I just think that that way of doing things would make inequality go through the roof, leading to a more unstable society, probably a massive war (see WWI for previous) and we'd all end up dead :D

Haha fair enough mate, I suppose if we all end up dead we are all equal in the end!  Every cloud and all that! 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Haha fair enough mate, I suppose if we all end up dead we are all equal in the end!  Every cloud and all that! 

in all seriousness though, do you think the system you support would worsen or improve inequality? it's important, because inequality, not, weirdly, poverty (as far as i understand) correlates with crime and general misery. (there's an economic concept called the gini index that is used to explain this...my understanding is not exactly full, but i think i'm right in saying that to some degree).

also, FYI, and not in favour of 'big state' society either...but i'm also not in favour of private property as it currently stands, which is probably where we differ ;)

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 25/08/2018 at 12:21, jake said:

That's your opinion.

And valid.

No.

He supports a lot of murderous people while saying he doesn’t condone murder. Absolute bullshit.

Brighton Jambo
22 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

in all seriousness though, do you think the system you support would worsen or improve inequality? it's important, because inequality, not, weirdly, poverty (as far as i understand) correlates with crime and general misery. (there's an economic concept called the gini index that is used to explain this...my understanding is not exactly full, but i think i'm right in saying that to some degree).

also, FYI, and not in favour of 'big state' society either...but i'm also not in favour of private property as it currently stands, which is probably where we differ ;)

I accept that my system probably does increase the risk of inequality.  What I do believe in is equal opportunities for all.  So for example I passionately believe state education should be the equal of private education.  If everyone has, and I accept this won’t ever be the compleley the case, the opportunity for a good education then you start to level the playing field.  From then let free market forces take effect.  The problem with ‘forcing’ equality is that you drag everyone towards mediocrity, stop people from benefiting from success and entrepreneurship, innovation, creativity all suffer, ultimately the economy suffers and you are back to square one.  

maroonlegions

Image may contain: one or more people and crowd

Two weeks ago at  the world's largest silent disco - at the Boardmasters festival in Cornwall - where a crowd of some 18,000 young people broke out spontaneously into the famous 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' chant when the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army started to play in their headphones.

That tribute signalled the bankruptcy and spent force of the smears continually flung by the Establishment and its media allies at the Labour leader.

Last weekend, another huge crowd dancers did the same - this time at the Reading Festival:

27 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Meanwhile the accusations of antisemitism just won't go away. 

Incredible isn't it ; just how the anti-Semitic accusations stick to Corbyn - despite there being no evidence he is .

You'd almost think somebody was trying to smear him .

1 minute ago, felix said:

Incredible isn't it ; just how the anti-Semitic accusations stick to Corbyn - despite there being no evidence he is .

???? Aye, very good! 

On 27/08/2018 at 15:24, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He supports a lot of murderous people while saying he doesn’t condone murder. Absolute bullshit.

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

???? Aye, very good! 

3 hours ago, felix said:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/research/research-projects/representations-of-jeremy-corbyn

maroonlegions
On 25/08/2018 at 13:45, Seymour M Hersh said:

What is Mays excuse when questioned about doing nothing for the condemnation of  the treatment of Nelson Mandela. She remained silent when Thatcher called Mandela a terrorist.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: text

maroonlegions

And meanwhile slithering in the shadows, the real enemy of the poor and vulnerable a one IDS carries on regardless.

Image may contain: 1 person

It's the members of his own party that are accusing him of antisemitism that should be listned to, I doubt everyone is making things up, he has a history and people are using it against him, just political parties always do. 

maroonlegions
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the members of his own party that are accusing him of antisemitism that should be listned to, I doubt everyone is making things up, he has a history and people are using it against him, just political parties always do. 

Its most of the Blarites and red tories within his party who are doing this. The right wing media and papers have  relentless in their smear campaign since all this surfaced. If  reeks of a desperation to keep him out of government.  

Edited by maroonlegions

1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

Its most of the Blarites and red tories within his party who are doing this. The right wing media and papers are relentless in their smear campaign  Desperation to keep him out of government.  

So there is no problem in the Labour Party or Jeremy Corbyn regards antisemitism, none, nothing, OK. 

maroonlegions
17 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So there is no problem in the Labour Party or Jeremy Corbyn regards antisemitism, none, nothing, OK. 

Nope never said that, but i could argue back that its as i said mainly  from those who do not want him as leader. What about all those Jewish individuals who have came out in support of him.

Are we to accept that there are  none, not one Jewish person  who has came out in support of Corbyn, none, nothing OK.

This is beyond a joke ,their lies and deception has no end ,the victimhood pretence has no boundary .

Jewish MPs will be given bodyguards at next month’s Labour Party Conference as fears around their safety grow amid the fabricated antisemitism row that allegedly engulfs the Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn.  

Protection will be offered to those MPs attending who have been vocal in attacking the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn and falsifying accusation against the Labour Party in general and Jeremy Corbyn in particular .

Right wingers no doubt.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, text
Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

So what level do you think the problem is? 

Its about all those casting the first stone, the red tories within the Labour party and the right wing media 

This picture  below says it all.

There she is in Mandelas prison cell.

13 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Its about all those casting the first stone, the red tories within the Labour party and the right wing media 

This picture  below says it all.

There she is in Mandelas prison cell.

So because some Jews have come out in support of Corbyn that means the Jews accusing him are wrong and "right wing"? 

That's like me saying those defending him and the left wing press are antisemitic.

He has a past of siding with antisemites, this is being used against him, that politics. I genuinely don't think the Jewish community and the Jewish members of the Labour Party who are making these accusations are making them up because they are "right wing" do you? 

Edited by Dawnrazor

maroonlegions
30 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So because some Jews have come out in support of Corbyn that means the Jews accusing him are wrong and "right wing"? 

That's like me saying those defending him and the left wing press are antisemitic.

He has a past of siding with antisemites, this is being used against him, that politics. I genuinely don't think the Jewish community and the Jewish members of the Labour Party who are making these accusations are making them up because they are "right wing" do you? 

Were did i say the Jews supporting him are right wing.

You use the term SOME Jews like its a minority  of them which is not the case. 

Could you provided the evidence were Corybn has been siding with antisemites??

The majority of Labour members accusing him are right wingers. Has there been left wing Jews with the Labour party that have accused him of antisemisium. 

I also dont think genuinely that those Jews who have came out defending him are doing so because they just like him, do you.They are coming out because they see a witch hunt by the right wing press and those Labour members who want Corbyn out.

Michael Crick just absolutely mangled Theresa May with an absolute masterclass:

A closer look at home and its one of a smear war.

"Margaret Thatcher thought Nelson Mandela was a terrorist! Were you a loyal Conservative Party member? Did you think the same thing?"

maroonlegions

This is were i am.

Every time a Jewish leader (this time Rabbi Jonathan Sacks) makes a preposterous statement about Jeremy Corbyn and antisemitism, it weakens the Jewish community’s ability to make common cause with other minorities facing prejudice and discrimination in the U.K.

By comparing Jeremy Corbyn to Enoch Powell it gives the appearance that Lord Sacks has no understanding of the contrasting experience of the Jewish community here (privileged, empowered, economically successful) and that of the immigrant communities from the British Commonwealth - the target of Powell’s ‘Rivers of Blood’ speech 50 years ago - still experiencing institutional prejudice and economic discrimination linked to class and skin colour. Look at Grenfell. Look at the Windrush scandal.

Just because the Jewish community is now a privileged minority does not mean it does not suffer from racial prejudice. It does. Antisemitism remains in our society. And our current position of security could easily be reversed just as it was for the privileged and successful Jews of Germany who in the 1920s thought only further progress would lay ahead.

But by having nothing to say about Israel’s daily persecution and dispossession of Palestinians and by dismissing the global criticism

of the new Nation State Law, Jonathan Sacks calls into question his moral authority and his right to criticise Corbyn.

Antisemitism undoubtedly exists on the left in the U.K. And far more so on the right. But, as things currently stand, we are a minority that suffers little compared to the minorities around us.

If I were a Muslim or from an African Caribbean heritage and knew something of what has happened to the Palestinian people, I would be thoroughly confused by the stand Sacks is taking and his deployment of Enoch Powell as a point of reference for Jewish U.K. experience. It’s just wildly inappropriate. And indeed, insensitive to the lived experience of non-white minorities in this country.

The only explanation that makes any sense to me is the fact that Israel has become merged with modern Jewish identity in a way that now skews our moral compass. How to untangle this mess is the Jewish challenge of our Age, along with the need to find new ways to ensure Jewish security not dependent on the oppression of others.

In the U.K. (and around the world) it would be better to use our current success and privilege to demand greater attention to the racism and discrimination other groups experience every day, whether it be job opportunities, housing, health or gaining a prominent voice in mainstream media. Our Jewish experience of institutional and cultural oppression makes us well suited to build bridges with those suffering from this today.

As it happens I’m currently reading Sacks’ book ‘Lessons in Leadership’ in which he takes biblical figures and draws ethical conclusions from the Torah about what good leadership should look like. This extract (about Noah) makes me wonder (once again) why Sacks never applies his thinking to Israel and the suffering of the Palestinian people:

“It is not enough to be righteous if that means turning our backs on a society that is guilty of wrongdoing. We must take a stand. We must protest. We must register dissent even if the probability of changing minds is small. This is because the moral life is the life we share with others.”

These words inspire me to take the position I do as a U.K. Jew in solidarity with the Palestinian people and desperate for justice to come to the Holy Land - for all who call it home. I wish Rabbi Sacks would feel the same way when he reads his own writing.

Edited by maroonlegions

18 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Were did i say the Jews supporting him are right wing.

You use the term SOME Jews like its a minority  of them which is not the case. 

Could you provided the evidence were Corybn has been siding with antisemites??

The majority of Labour members accusing him are right wingers. Has there been left wing Jews with the Labour party that have accused him of antisemisium. 

I also dont think genuinely that those Jews who have came out defending him are doing so because they just like him, do you.They are coming out because they see a witch hunt by the right wing press and those Labour members who want Corbyn out.

Michael Crick just absolutely mangled Theresa May with an absolute masterclass:

A closer look at home and its one of a smear war.

"Margaret Thatcher thought Nelson Mandela was a terrorist! Were you a loyal Conservative Party member? Did you think the same thing?"

You seem to be saying the" right wing press" are being unfare to him but people are OK with the Left wing press defending him, my point is that's how things go, people who don't want him in the party or as PM are going to drag up his past to their advantage, just like you have done with the Teresa May examples. 

You asked "where did I say the Jews supporting him are right wing?" 

I read it as you lumping Jews supporting him in with the right wing red tops and Blarites, "Its most of the Blarites and red tories within his party who are doing this. The right wing media and papers have  relentless in their smear campaign since all this surfaced

You use the term SOME Jews like its a minority  of them which is not the case

I didn't mean they were in the minority, I just meant that because some have come out in support of him doesn't mean the ones who have condemned him are wrong. 

I'm no good at putting up links but I'm pretty sure there are pictures and text of him with people and organisations that are strongly antisemtic, I'm sure you could find them if you look. 

So back to my question, do you think the jewish organisations and Jewish people in his party have made up these accusations? 

Do you think they are "Blairites" or "Red Tories"? 

Edited by Dawnrazor