Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboj

• John Findlay

• Blackford Hearts

• Heartsofgold

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackford Hearts

....or in Scotland 

Concussion and brain injury’s are serious and have long term effects. I have direct experience of the consequences of this trauma.

There are many studies about this that suggest it’s not going to end well for (some) players. Much worse in the past when the ball was heavier. 

https://www.stir.ac.uk/news/2017/11/stirling-experts-call-for-more-research-into-heading-footballs/

Or we can just make fun of peoples concerns? 

lauriesrank

This is hardly new(s), this is olds, I was telling my neighbour about this a couple of weeks ago, utterly preposterous idea.

Means as a laddie you can't learn how to head a ball, what about the auld fitbaws which would about break your head if you mistimed!!

They were talking about booking someone if they head it!! amongst other ridiculousness.

Although I had heard it was under 16s, not 18s, either way, it is another piece of nonsense.

8 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

This is hardly new(s), this is olds, I was telling my neighbour about this a couple of weeks ago, utterly preposterous idea.

Means as a laddie you can't learn how to head a ball, what about the auld fitbaws which would about break your head if you mistimed!!

They were talking about booking someone if they head it!! amongst other ridiculousness.

Although I had heard it was under 16s, not 18s, either way, it is another piece of nonsense.

Why is it nonsense? There is, based on that article and some common sense, pretty clear evidence that repeatedly heading a football has serious health consequences down the line. 

Should we ignore that? Is a change to the game too high a price for people's health? 

Ron Burgundy

And ban toe-bashes as well in case someone gets a ruptured testicle by taking one full in the crown jewels.

letsalldothebeattie

If this is the case just end the game now because it’s starting to become a joke now trying to change the greatest game on the planet 

This guy is the one who took on American Football and the NFL and won so he definitely knows his stuff.

But, saying that. I don't think there is enough evidence for us to talk about banning heading.

The only way to tell if someone has CTE is after they have died.

The only football players that have been confirmed all used to play with the heavy leather balls.

With the new type of ball etc I think they have to wait and see what happens.

Possibly offer head gear to under 18s like the one above.

If you think about it, as kids tour only allowed touch rugby so it kind of makes sense not to let kids head a ball. Especially if they are using adult sized balls like most people still so in Scotland for kids (totally stupid but a different argument)

Blackford Hearts

if it was your son or daughter at the neurologist. Brain scan being checked for abnormalities. 

Still not care? 

I believe in America they banned heading the ball at U12 level and lower. 

As a coach I don't train headers.

If a player chooses to do it themselves that's up to them but I no longer coach it.

I think this should be given serious debate. If the data collected by medical experts and neurosurgeons suggests this is an issue then something needs done to mitigate it.

It could be one of our kids.

No heading of the ball for under 18's?

No heading of the ball outside the 18 yard box?

Wearing head gear?

Who knows. Its a big part of the game we all love but if players are getting long term serious neurological problems then something needs done about it.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

[mod edit]

No need at all for that tone or language. You're out of order. 

No one, myself include, is saying football should be banned. Many other sports are adapting to mitigate serious injuries, rugby with the tackle laws, and F1 with the halo device are examples. Is there a reason football can't make a reasonable adaptation too? 

And let's be clear about the choice issue. One person making a choice to do something dangerous does not affect only them - the consequences, if they occur affect their family, friends and community. 

All sport comes with some element of risk. 

as a kid, i did football, rugby and mountain biking. 

my worst injuries are from coming off the bike. At the time, there was a sticker chart behind the triage desk to record Glen Tress casualties. They going to ban mountain biking as a sport? If so, will they can horse racing/riding?

lots of talk of making scrums uncompetitive in rugby, but the worst head injury I ever saw was someone who got cleaned out a ruck over enthusiastically (didn't recognise his mum when he woke up). 

I get that heading a football all day every day is not good for you. Sport in general can take a toll on your knees and ankles (corn exchange generation especially). However, there is an understanding that it is worth it for the other health benefi ts as a hobby, and that it is an occupation with risk for pros. You play until your mid thirties, your knees will hurt when it rains. 

I'd suggest it is a good area for the ball manufacturers to do some work. I think there will already be less of an impact with the lighter synthetic balls. Maybe the headguard option may come to pass. 

Heading the ball is central to the game. It will out last boxing.  

Edited by CMc

Cruyff Turn

Football is almost getting to the point now, that if they ban heading, they'd may as well put a pink hanky in the back of their shorts and when the other team catches it, the ball is turned over. Maybe before the game instead of shaking hands, they can shake each other's dick instead.

Jesus ****ing wept, it's a contact sport, if you don't want hurt or injured then don't ****ing play it! Its that simple, it really is.

What's next? If you work on an oil rig, be aware the thing might ****ing explode at some point?

Of course heading the ball, 'may' have a detrimental impact on your future health, it may. Choose another sport, play golf, you might step into a bunker and get knocked out by a rake!! "Ohh we better ban rakes".

I dunno man, it's becoming ridiculous how over safe everything has to be, almost to the point they are sucking the fun out of everything. I quit working on commercial building sites because of health and safety bullshit, it's just beyond the pale now. 

We'll end up like the society in the film, "Demolition man" before John Spartan gets defrosted. Fined for swearing. Can't **** a chic because you 'might' get Aids, everything's done in a test tube.

Cheers for your advice Doc but let's leave this down to choices. Play at your own risk, that is the only further advice needed. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

KyleLafferty

I do coach heading, but it’s very minimal and only part of a warm up. I try to avoid it cause I don’t want a ball bouncing off their head for an hour plus

Jambof3tornado

I remember playing in the school playground 30 odd years ago. Bucketing down with rain and I headed the ball off the line to stop a goal. Problem was the ball had taken on a bit of water and I was still seeing stars walking hime after school!!

Todays footballs are nowhere near as dangerous.

Seymour M Hersh
45 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I believe in America they banned heading the ball at U12 level and lower. 

As a coach I don't train headers.

If a player chooses to do it themselves that's up to them but I no longer coach it.

So could not being taught the correct technique could be equally dangerous?

been here before
23 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Thanks.

But I doubt your 3 year old can read so stop calling things out as shite by posting shite.

What an even more ridiculous post.

You can see why you thought your original post was a good point well made.

Anyhow for the adults and those of us who dont head house bricks in our spare time, Alan Shearer made a ver good programme about this a while back. Its worth watching.

Edited by been here before

Geoff Kilpatrick
54 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

if it was your son or daughter at the neurologist. Brain scan being checked for abnormalities. 

Still not care? 

I'd like my sons to understand risk and make choices for themselves.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Way too risky. We need governments and think tanks to tell us how we must live our life.

9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So could not being taught the correct technique could be equally dangerous?

Not up to me really. The powers that be don't want to see it.

I do get what you're saying. 

Edited by Bauld

58 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Still not care? 

That’s quite a hysterical point to make. Almost as useful as saying let’s ban football. 

Anyway its not like footballers are going to discover the wonders of the universe with their beautiful brains. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Bauld said:

Not up to me really. The powers that be don't want to see it.

I do get what you're saying. 

Have you been instructed not to teach heading? I thought you had just decided on your own not to do so.

Tokyo Drifter

It would make the game more interesting. No more boring head tennis in midfield, let the bounce test the centre backs. I'd allow it from corners and free kicks though. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Have you been instructed not to teach heading? I thought you had just decided on your own not to do so.

I took the decision to stop doing it after the documentaries and news reports that have came out over the last couple of years. At the age level I was coaching it made sense. Plus you have to consider the parents views as as well since they will have all seen the same research.

Since then instruction has came from upstairs to stop coaching repetitive heading drills.

Its people’s choice.

Sports, games, outdoor events etc....were created or developed  through humans enjoyment of competitiveness, risk taking and ultimately our inventiveness.

The rawness of sport, the risk, the skill and thrill of competing against another human or team is what gives the greater audience its entertainment. The nature of various sports bringing those edge of the seat moments.

Lifes too short as it is. People want to enjoy themselves.

Yes, make clear the threat on a bit of paper, in guidelines or whatever but leave it to people to choose themselves.

I’m finding hard to grasp the need for this to be implemented? Where in the grand scheme of life does it change the world? 

Edited by Debut 4

Bazzas right boot
54 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Football is almost getting to the point now, that if they ban heading, they'd may as well put a pink hanky in the back of their shorts and when the other team catches it, the ball is turned over. Maybe before the game instead of shaking hands, they can shake each other's dick instead.

Jesus ****ing wept, it's a contact sport, if you don't want hurt or injured then don't ****ing play it! Its that simple, it really is.

What's next? If you work on an oil rig, be aware the thing might ****ing explode at some point?

Of course heading the ball, 'may' have a detrimental impact on your future health, it may. Choose another sport, play golf, you might step into a bunker and get knocked out by a rake!! "Ohh we better ban rakes".

I dunno man, it's becoming ridiculous how over safe everything has to be, almost to the point they are sucking the fun out of everything. I quit working on commercial building sites because of health and safety bullshit, it's just beyond the pale now. 

We'll end up like the society in the film, "Demolition man" before John Spartan gets defrosted. Fined for swearing. Can't **** a chic because you 'might' get Aids, everything's done in a test tube.

Cheers for your advice Doc but let's leave this down to choices. Play at your own risk, that is the only further advice needed. 

All I taken for that us that I hope Sandra bullock  arrests me. 

I do tend to agree, play at you own risk is the way to go, as in life. 

Trying to limit everything is not the way to go, if folk want to eat fatty foods, drink surgery drinks, play head tennis then drink 8 pints and smoke some fags, then crack on. 

If you fear for your kids health in anything, then get them involved in something else. 

There is a wide choice of activities. 

In terms of under 12's or young kids age groups having a no header rule may make sense for health and for technical reasons.

Not many kids header the ball anyway at early ages and I'm all for trying to coach the kids to play the correct way and not simply lump it! 

However, for the sport at under 14-18 level heading is part of the game and a skill to be perfected if they want to go further. 

Slide tackling is almost dead, if headers go as well, football will be further limiting itself- it will look like 5 a sides soon. 

Further studies will be interesting tho. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Its people’s the choice.

Sports, games, outdoor events etc....were created or developed  through humans enjoyment of competitiveness, risk taking and ultimately our inventiveness.

The rawness of sport, the risk, the skill and thrill of competing against another human or team is what gives the greater audience its entertainment. The nature of various sports beings those edge of the seat moments.

Lifes too short as it is. People want to enjoy themselves.

Yes, make clear the threat on a bit of paper, in guidelines or whatever but leave it to people to choose themselves.

I’m finding hard to grasp the need for this to be implemented? Where in the grand scheme of life does it change the world? 

I generally agree, but why hot bring back fights to the death or other extreme sports then? 

Boxing used yo be a fight to the death, why bother with a ref. 

Every sport has adopted due to some reason, health and safety being a prominent driver in it. 

Football is no different, and although I agree with the you "do it at your own risk motto" , where is the line? 

2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I generally agree, but why hot bring back fights to the death or other extreme sports then? 

Boxing used yo be a fight to the death, why bother with a ref. 

Every sport has adopted due to some reason, health and safety being a prominent driver in it. 

Football is no different, and although I agree with the you "do it at your own risk motto" , where is the line? 

I know all that. 

Every game or sport needs rules not restrictions on what makes the sport great and entertaining.

Escobar PHM

We could cut down on career threatening injuries by banning Scott Brown.

Seriously though, if they can allow ferocious high power punches to the unprotected head in other sports, there is no danger they should be banning the unprotected head making occasional contact with an air filled piece of plastic/leather with miles less destructive power.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Heartsofgold

The players that this has currently affected used to head the old heavy leather balls.  I remember heading one at high school after being used to heading an Adidas Tango or Mitre Delta and I thought my head was going to explode afterwards.

Actual ball technology has advanced so the danger of heading a football is much less than it was even in the 1980's.  Banning heading in football is a truly stupid idea as is making player wear some kind of headgear.

OmiyaHearts

If you don't want to head a football, don't play football.

No need to ban the actual heading. People can choose to take the risk if they want.

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

If you don't want to head a football, don't play football.

No need to ban the actual heading. People can choose to take the risk if they want.

Pretty much.

If you don't wanna be punched in the face, don't take up boxing or MMA.

4 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

The players that this has currently affected used to head the old heavy leather balls.  I remember heading one at high school after being used to heading an Adidas Tango or Mitre Delta and I thought my head was going to explode afterwards.

Actual ball technology has advanced so the danger of heading a football is much less than it was even in the 1980's.  Banning heading in football is a truly stupid idea as is making player wear some kind of headgear.

Thats not what the scientist is saying though. According to the report linked above, he says heading a modern ball will cause brain injuries. 

The evidence seems to be mounting. Reality is something will happen on this, probably not in the short term, but within ten years or so. 

Blackford Hearts
43 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That’s quite a hysterical point to make. Almost as useful as saying let’s ban football. 

Anyway its not like footballers are going to discover the wonders of the universe with their beautiful brains. 

It was really hysterical being at the Murrayfield with my son after a sporting concussion. The three of us (me, him and neurologist) couldn’t stop laughing. Maybe think before you post that someone is talking from experience. I doubt you actually lack compassion! 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Just ban football. Someone might get hurt.

This.

It's elf and safety gone mad.

Next they will ban swimming just in case somebody drowns.

Blackford Hearts
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I agree to an extent but when they are younger, say up to 12/13 then they are unlikely to understand the risks, regardless of the sport or activity

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I agree to an extent but when they are younger, say up to 12/13 then they are unlikely to understand the risks, regardless of the sport or activity

How many kids head the ball with any great frequency at 12 or 13? Heading really develops as kids mature and grow.

Might explain the nick of some of the older pundits in this country.

Although come to think of it, Pat Bonner's got no excuse...

Judging by some of the lunatics on here I'd say JKB is far worse for your health than heading the ball.

Edited by Oliver Twist

Are there not like, about 2 cases, from when football was played with a soggy medicine ball who developed brain injury? It's really not as bad as boxing IMO

Edited by Spellczech

Heartsofgold
19 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Thats not what the scientist is saying though. According to the report linked above, he says heading a modern ball will cause brain injuries. 

The evidence seems to be mounting. Reality is something will happen on this, probably not in the short term, but within ten years or so. 

If they ban or restrict heading then the game is finished.  Simple as.  Heading has been part and parcel of our sport since it was 1st played and removing this option will kill it.  My opinion anyway.

19 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

It was really hysterical being at the Murrayfield with my son after a sporting concussion. The three of us (me, him and neurologist) couldn’t stop laughing. Maybe think before you post that someone is talking from experience. I doubt you actually lack compassion! 

I didn’t say you were laughing. You should also think before you post that I might not know anything about you. 

sairyinthat
26 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Pretty much.

If you don't wanna be punched in the face, don't take up boxing or MMA.

All free kicks/corners to come in at no higher than knee high.

Heartsofgold
21 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Where does it end?  People are made aware that long term injuries CAN occur from heading a ball.  It's then their decision to head it or not.  As others have said, if you don't want to risk heading a ball, don't play the game.  It's no different from any other choice we make as adults.  Banning it for young kids, I have no problem with as they are still developing but from 16 onwards, they are given the choice of heading or not.  They don't want to then there's good chance your coach will not pick you to play.

3 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Where does it end?  People are made aware that long term injuries CAN occur from heading a ball.  It's then their decision to head it or not.  As others have said, if you don't want to risk heading a ball, don't play the game.  It's no different from any other choice we make as adults.  Banning it for young kids, I have no problem with as they are still developing but from 16 onwards, they are given the choice of heading or not.  They don't want to then there's good chance your coach will not pick you to play.

Why does that need to be the attitude though? Is there a reason we cant do something to mitigate the risk? People have already mentioned technology in the footballs themselves, headgear etc. Why the need for this attitude of "take it or leave it"? 

9 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

If they ban or restrict heading then the game is finished.  Simple as.  Heading has been part and parcel of our sport since it was 1st played and removing this option will kill it.  My opinion anyway.

So firstly, why is it finished? Do you think if football was played predominantly on the floor no one would watch? I doubt that. 

Secondly (and far more realistically), I don't think there's a likely chance of heading being banned, but if the evidence is there of a problem, why can't we act to mitigate the risk, through for example, headgear. Rugby players often wear caps, couldn't centre halves do the same?