Walk On Song.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Remember singing this well known song back in the 70s in the shed.

Yes a Celtic song but we had some great singing with this song.

Anyone remember certain games when we sang it.

I remember it well,

then the bigots decided it was a Celtic song ps I was one  of the bigots back in the day  thankfully not anymore 

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, mr sheen said:

I remember it well,

then the bigots decided it was a Celtic song ps I was one  of the bigots back in the day  thankfully not anymore 

Wonder if there was a meeting lol,  i was just sitting today and they played it on an episode of Benidorm.

Took me back 40 years :mellow:

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Wonder if there was a meeting lol,  i was just sitting today and they played it on an episode of Benidorm.

Took me back 40 years :mellow:

No meeting, but a walk

Nookie Bear

Before my time, i think.

I do remember singing "Hail Hail The Hearts Are Here" on a regular basis in the 1980's. In fact, nothing to stop us resurrecting it :ninja:

N Lincs Jambo

Last time I recall it being sung was v Clydebank in the Cup in 77. Might have got sung afterwards but that was the last time I heard it. We got segregation a year or so later and after that only Hibs and Celtic sang it.

Harry Potter

25 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Before my time, i think.

I do remember singing "Hail Hail The Hearts Are Here" on a regular basis in the 1980's. In fact, nothing to stop us resurrecting it :ninja:

Remember that NB, always mind in the Falkirk shed, giving it Joe 90 na na na to a boys wi specs, shockin stuff :mellow:

Harry Potter
28 minutes ago, primrose said:

I remember a faster version with clapping in the middle that mentioned never walking again, or is my imagination taking over?

Aye mind that, dunno what game though.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Before my time, i think.

Did our fans not change the words to ' its a grand old team to pay the bail for. Its a grand old team to go to jail for' ?  :laugh:

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

Did our fans not change the words to ' its a grand old team to pay the bail for. Its a grand old team to go to jail for' ?  :laugh:

Sure did, and we also added some words after "and it's enough to make your heart go" Words I would never sing these days

4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Sure did, and we also added some words after "and it's enough to make your heart go" Words I would never sing these days

Not that I ever did...  I never heard them singing this, but when I was at primary school, my hibs supporting classmate said that they sang a song at the time that went

The hearts throw bottles

and the hearts throw cans

But the hearts run away 

From the mental hibs fans. :laugh:

I can't remember them ever singing that tho

Edited by Elmore

What is it with the UK and dirges.  The national anthem, flower of scotland, walk on song and worst of all, sunshine on leith.

Me too. And not forgetting Hullo Hullo...... :qqb006:

queensferryjambo

When everyone is talking about the ‘walk on song’ I presume you are talking about ‘you’ll never walk alone’ ?

jacklivi1874

Before my time, i think.

With slightly  different words for me 

For some reason this came into my head.  

To the tune of Bring back my bonnie.

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

and I had the arse of a crow,

I'd fly up on top of the Roseburn

And shite on the Hibees below..........

40 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Through the mists of time.........

Don't remember that but I'd say that we mostly started with the grand old team line and didn't sing the Hail, Hail. But I might be wrong.

Every team sang You'll Never Walk Alone with the scarf thing, which was sung regularly at Tynecastle. It was Liverpool's anthem, not Celtic's, because Gerry and the Pacemakers were a Liverpool band (quite a few good bands on Merseyside in the sixties of course).  And, yes, I remember the 'You'll Never Walk Again' variation.

Interestingly enough, the first time I heard Hey Jude at the football, it was being sung by Celtic fans in 1968 (we lost 0-1), when the song was still in the charts, so we can't claim ownership of that one either, though nobody does it better than us now.

remember flying back from Prague  and we were all  singing Tony Mowbray  got a monkey fxxxing head first place I heard it LOL

Just now, mr sheen said:

remember flying back from Prague  and we were all  singing Tony Mowbray  got a monkey fxxxing head first place I heard it LOL

yes, then someone changed it and it went, "some wee monkeys got a Tony Mowbray hied! "

How about the Shed songs to the female police officers and to the girls selling raffle tickets/scratchcards? :facepalm: 

1 minute ago, primrose said:

yes, then someone changed it and it went, "some wee monkeys got a Tony Mowbray hied! "

That’s right.

The version I recall is ‘some poor monkeys got a Tony Mowbray heid’. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

How about the Shed songs to the female police officers and to the girls selling raffle tickets/scratchcards? :facepalm: 

44 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

When everyone is talking about the ‘walk on song’ I presume you are talking about ‘you’ll never walk alone’ ?

The one from Carousel I think.

9 minutes ago, primrose said:

AYE lol some trip

jacklivi1874

Hibs are no strangers for pinching songs done it all there days

No doubt they will be singing ''The  Hibs are having a party'' the morra, as they have no shame in the song department  and stealing them from others 

Harry Potter
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not me pal, TBH never mind police woman at the shed, mind Wallace Mercer asking for calm.:mellow:not due to the scratchcards.

I think.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Elmore said:

I believe we did!!

19 minutes ago, mr sheen said:

LOL get them out for the boys

Don't think it was that one, probably worse, much worse

TorinoJambo
2 hours ago, primrose said:

I remember a faster version with clapping in the middle that mentioned never walking again, or is my imagination taking over?

No. You're dead right. Man Utd red army started it in the early 70's and it could be heard on Match of the Day ergo we took it up. Then Smelltic took it as their song, Rangers, followed by almost everyone else, decided it was a "Fenian" song so only Celtic ended up singing it.

24 minutes ago, mr sheen said:

LOL get them out for the boys

4 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Don't think it was that one, probably worse, much worse

It was that one but as SE16 says there was a worse one too!

Something about being old and cold :sadrobbo:

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I believe we did!!

Yes, followed by ‘and if you know their history etc.etc.’

:vrface: 

49 minutes ago, primrose said:

For some reason this came into my head.  

To the tune of Bring back my bonnie.

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

and I had the arse of a crow,

I'd fly up on top of the Roseburn

And shite on the Hibees below..........

I'd fly over Easter Road Tomorrow was the words I remember, we didn't have a "Roseburn"

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, graygo said:

I'd fly over Easter Road Tomorrow was the words I remember, we didn't have a "Roseburn"

Mind taking over their main terracing at fester, rerrr times.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

What is it with the UK and dirges.  The national anthem, flower of scotland, walk on song and worst of all, sunshine on leith.

You'll Never Walk Alone was written by Americans Rogers & Hammerstein for the musical Carousel around 1945. 

Seymour M Hersh
48 minutes ago, mr sheen said:

First time I heard it was Basle.

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

:spoton: Definitely Easter Road tomorrow.  And the last line was ‘shite on the b@rstewards below, below’

been here before
1 hour ago, Elmore said:

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Its a grand old team to go to jail for

Its a grand old team to pay your bail for

And if you know your history

Its enough to make your heart sing no surrender

We dont care what the Hibees say, what the fxxk do they know?

For we all know theres going to be a show

And the Heart of Midlothian will be there.

Or thereabouts.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

Every team sang You'll Never Walk Alone with the scarf thing, which was sung regularly at Tynecastle. It was Liverpool's anthem, not Celtic's, because Gerry and the Pacemakers were a Liverpool band (quite a few good bands on Merseyside in the sixties of course).  And, yes, I remember the 'You'll Never Walk Alone' version.

It was originally sang at Old Trafford before it made it to Anfield.

50 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s right.

The version I recall is ‘some poor monkeys got a Tony Mowbray heid’. :lol: 

Thats how I recall it. Its the 'poor' that makes it great.

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:spoton: Definitely Easter Road tomorrow.  And the last line was ‘shite on the b@rstewards below, below’

Right enough about the last bit too.  :thumbsup: 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
5 hours ago, mr sheen said:

I remember it well,

Ridiculous post. 

So are the people who don't want hullo hullo sung Celtic minded bigots? 

been here before

A bit odd in a way this thread should pop up. I was listening to a spot of Boney M the other day (dont ask) and Brown Girl In The Ring came on. I found myself thinking there used to be a football chant/song to the tune but couldnt think of what it was.

So anyone know or am I imagining it?

Just now, been here before said:

A bit odd in a way this thread should pop up. I was listening to a spot of Boney M the other day (dont ask) and Brown Girl In The Ring came on. I found myself thinking there used to be a football chant/song to the tune but couldnt think of what it was.

So anyone know or am I imagining it?

The Rangers fans used to sing it about dead popes