Armed Forces Day

August Landmesser

Scnorthedinburgh
7 hours ago, fila said:

I know, was just sayin it did matter to him as he posted it

Cheer up fella to be pissed off at only one religious faith, you need to be part of one of the other faiths.

Going out on a limb here and will guess church for you is weddings and funerals.

You can't be a defender of the faith if your not of faith.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scnorthedinburgh

• August Landmesser

• Elmore

• Strachsuit

davemclaren
32 minutes ago, farin said:

I can still mind when we used to have recruitment ads like these in the match programmes.

0CB73CB5-69AC-4D0F-8977-81BC8DA812CD.jpeg

3A58419B-A260-40F5-8B51-88D82814EB7E.jpeg

98D02A6F-4066-4316-A919-A05C059C87D0.jpeg

Sexist in those days as well. ?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, farin said:

We were still under the impression it was a mans world back then Dave. My wife has re-educated me since. ?

?

Can't wait for this tomorrow. 

Heroes the lot of them. Not one of the pant wetters critiscing it would do what they do. 

Good to see the club supporting worthy causes. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Heroes the lot of them. Not one of the pant wetters critiscing it would do what they do. 

:cornette_dog:

20 hours ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Cheer up fella to be pissed off at only one religious faith, you need to be part of one of the other faiths.

Going out on a limb here and will guess church for you is weddings and funerals.

You can't be a defender of the faith if your not of faith.

Read my post before making general assumptions and statements. I am very happy, and you missed christenings. Just for reference , I have plenty of faith 

TyphoonJambo
6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Anyone been to the stalls yet?

not yet but the wife may disappointed as I promised her a load of guys with big guns would be there!! She does appreciate a big weapon.

1 hour ago, jacklivi1874 said:

I despair how these threads turn out

Though proud of our  Armed Forces Re 

Why despair?  No ones saying they aren't proud of anything, just not at a sporting event. 

18 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Spot on.

been here before

If anyone at the game has a thing for big strapping wenches in uniform then you may care to cast your eyes at the 'naval row' in premium seating.

Theres a few there that would rip your hammock from its fixings.

Scnorthedinburgh
1 hour ago, fila said:

Read my post before making general assumptions and statements. I am very happy, and you missed christenings. Just for reference , I have plenty of faith 

Cheers and happy Sunday. God bless you.

The vast majority of the crowd  appreciated the armed forces being here today and are right behind the connection that’s established as am I. 

Didn't hear any of our brave lads and lassies but I did hear the English public school voice of the armed forces. Transparently about recruitment outside the stand. **** off Budge. 

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

The vast majority of the crowd  appreciated the armed forces being here today and are right behind the connection that’s established as am I. 

An old guy about 3 rows in front of me today took ill - looked pretty serious. Despite frantic waving from the crowd, St John's took a while to get there. A guy wearing army fatigues came right along the row to comfort the person until the medics arrived. 

I hope the fellow Jambo is OK & makes a full recovery. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Didn't hear any of our brave lads and lassies but I did hear the English public school voice of the armed forces. Transparently about recruitment outside the stand. **** off Budge. 

Are you a pacifist? If so ... respect!

If not, in your own words **** off.

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Are you a pacifist? If so ... respect!

If not, in your own words **** off.

Perhaps the last poster I would have thought in favour of politicising the club in this manner but clearly I was wrong. And yes, I am a pacifist. 

1 minute ago, Jodami said:

Perhaps the last poster I would have thought in favour of politicising the club in this manner but clearly I was wrong. And yes, I am a pacifist. 

Would you say that your a pacifist to their faces..?

2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Would you say that your a pacifist to their faces..?

Clearly I would be avoiding that level of confrontation! Yes I would and I actually had a chat with a couple of guys at the game who had a different view. 

John Findlay

Stop and think of one of the reasons that you are allowed to hold the right to be a pacifist in this country.

Personally it was all tastefully  done today. There was no jingoism, no flag-waving and I didn't see any of the armed forces hitting people over the head, press ganging or,  twisting arms for anyone to sign up.

5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Let’s be honest a pacifist is basically a shite bag! 

Just now, Jodami said:

Clearly I would be avoiding that level of confrontation! Yes I would and I actually had a chat with a couple of guys at the game who had a different view. 

It was a joke about posters previously asking that in the thread. I was asked that myself. 

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Thanks. Fine, your position on this is right and admirable.

I am not a great fan of glorifying the military and like my father who served in WW2 I reach for the off button when the Festival of Remembrance begins. I think this is the last year we should have elaborate remembrance shows for the fallen in WW1.There comes a time when it is time, if not to forget, then at least to stop ostentatiously remembering.

But if you are like me not a pacifist then I think our armed forces deserve respect and support.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Stop and think of one of the reasons that you are allowed to hold the right to be a pacifist in this country.

Personally it was all tastefully  done today. There was no jingoism, no flag-waving and I didn't see any of the armed forces hitting people over the head, press ganging or,  twisting arms for anyone to sign up.

It's a democracy, I pay taxes and we have law. Our armed forces have been used as a political tool for decades, the last time they actively defended the country is over 70 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Aye?  Not the fact that they don't believe in violence?  

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

It's a democracy, I pay taxes and we have law. Our armed forces have been used as a political tool for decades, the last time they actively defended the country is over 70 years ago. 

They actively defend this country everyday. You don't always have to be at war.

6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Yes I am Des. I chose not not to smack the guys in the face I was talking to even though both my kids were goading me. 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not a great fan of glorifying the military and like my father who served in WW2 I reach for the off button when the Festival of Remembrance begins. I think this is the last year we should have elaborate remembrance shows for the fallen in WW1.There comes a time when it is time if not to forget them at least to stop ostentatiously remembering.

But if you are like me not a pacifist then I think our armed forces deserve respect and support.

No ones disrespecting them. Some of us just don't want our club to be used for military recruitment. If only the armed forces should respect to ex servicemen who are having to sleep on the streets and depend on hand outs from charities.  

6 minutes ago, Elmore said:

It was a joke about posters previously asking that in the thread. I was asked that myself. 

Sorry I missed that! It is quite a good question though. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Amazing how many people don't get that.

Also amazing that they don't know what the British Forces do with regards to humanitarian aid either on an everyday basis.

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not a great fan of glorifying the military and like my father who served in WW2 I reach for the off button when the Festival of Remembrance begins. I think this is the last year we should have elaborate remembrance shows for the fallen in WW1.There comes a time when it is time if not to forget them at least to stop ostentatiously remembering.

FA, everyone has my respect, particularly if they are able enough to make a contribution to society. As I said to people at the game I think it's needless for the club to have an armed forces day. The covenant I understand and I think is a useful aid to helping ex service people integrate. My brother served in the army for almost 10 years in the 80s/90s so it's a subject that's been discussed specifically in my own family. 

Phil Dunphy
12 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I have a friend in the Royal Navy who says different. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

No ones disrespecting them. Some of us just don't want our club to be used for military recruitment. If only the armed forces should respect to ex servicemen who are having to sleep on the streets and depend on hand outs from charities.  

I thought the covenant was basically in support of those neglected ex servicemen you refer to

Was there any active recruitment in evidence today?

Many posts on this thread seem  to me to disrespect our armed forces.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I take it you would be backing a Trident day on that basis. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I have a friend in the Royal Navy who says different. 

ITK post on defence, I trust you are unwilling to share your source Phil. 

Phil Dunphy

ITK post on defence, I trust you are unwilling to share your source Phil. 

I’ve just told you my source. 

A friend of mine who is in the Royal Navy. 

Edited by Phil Dunphy

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

I thought the covenant was basically in support of those neglected ex servicemen you refer to

Someone posted that there was a recruitment stall. They also said that they saw nothing about helping ex servicemen and women. Disagreeing with today's event doesnt mean people are being disrespectful. It was a PR exercise and also a recruitment drive.  

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Amazing how many people don't get that.

Also amazing that they don't know what the British Forces do with regards to humanitarian aid either on an everyday basis.

Do you think some fans objected to today's event because they just don't get it?  

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Elmore said:

Do you think some fans objected to today's event because they just don't get it?  

No

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Big "Recruiting Now!" On the side of their stall.

I don't have a problem with the people in the army, they do a Job and understand little about the politics. That goes for any army though and not just the British one. Many innocent people have died at the hand of our operations abroad to find weapons of mass destruction (Extract oil of mass proportions)

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Someone posted that there was a recruitment stall. They also said that they saw nothing about helping ex servicemen and women. Disagreeing with today's event doesnt mean people are being disrespectful. It was a PR exercise and also a recruitment drive.  

I didn't say disagreeing with today's event means people are being disrespectful. In fact I have said almost the opposite. 

But nonsense like saying the armed forces have for 70 years been political tools and have done nothing to defend the country ... well disrespectful seems a mild description.

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I take it you would be backing a Trident day on that basis. 

Yes. As in a democracy you wouldn't.  Where is I do. In a sense we are both right.

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I didn't say disagreeing with today's event means people are being disrespectful. In fact I have said almost the opposite. 

But nonsense like saying the armed forces have for 70 years been political tools and have done nothing to defend the country ... well disrespectful seems a mild description.

They have obviously been used as political tools for decades, from Suez through to the Middle East. And sorry, I should have said actively defended these shores specifically on my other point. I respect people serving in the army, navy and RAF but the truth is the Armed Forces are a tool used by government for political purpose. 

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes. As in a democracy you wouldn't.  Where is I do. In a sense we are both right.

I can understand your argument, I just disagree John. 

Maroon Sailor

I respect people serving in the army, navy and RAF but the truth is the Armed Forces are a tool used by government for political purpose. 

You're right. We should do away with the Armed Forces. We'll still be safe and be able to go about our lives without any threat whatsoever.

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

They have obviously been used as political tools for decades, from Suez through to the Middle East. And sorry, I should have said actively defended these shores specifically on my other point. I respect people serving in the army, navy and RAF but the truth is the Armed Forces are a tool used by government for political purpose. 

Crikey tell people something they don't know. I think you will find politics use almost everyone regardless of profession if they see a gain it for themselves or political party.